Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rewarding the helpful

rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

So most the morning I have been working with crafting, more specifically making HQ items.  I wanted to get a better understanding of how the system worked, so I made dozens and dozens of items and well over 20 HQ items.

It was all in the level 10 - 15 range, and most of it was for gladiators. The items sold for paltry amounts of gil, so I opted to give it away.  

Then I decided I would play a little game because I like rewarding those who foster a good community.  I switched over to a miner, and I shouted for gladiators that were able to help me to send a tell.  

To those who responded I would tell them I was mining, and I needed to hit a node, but there were hostile mobs there and they kept attacking me before I could finish.  I said the respawn rate appeared to be messed up, because they would spawn one after another.  I asked politely if they would keep the mobs off me long enough to harvest about 4 nodes.

This where I got discouraged, most people would laugh at me, some told me to "get good at the game," some called me a noob, laughed, and never responded.  One guy even said, "what's in it for me?"  Ha, I wanted to show him, but I just said I didn't have much to offer him at the time, but I would be very grateful for the help. He ignored me after that.

It would sometimes take me 20 minutes of running around finding a person willing to help.

However, there were a few out there who were willing, so when they agreed, I thanked them profusely, mounted up on my chocobo, and ran to their location.  When I got there I traded them a HQ helm, HQ cuirass,  HQ gauntlets,  HQ belts, and HQ boots.  It's not much, but the HQ bronze armor is equivalent standard lvl 20 Iron gear, so its a nice little upgrade for the level it is usable.

I told them I was just having a little fun and want to reward those who were willing to help others.  I asked them that when they out leveled the gear, to try to do the same with it.

Hopefully it will get a nice little pay it forward thing going.

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Yeah there are a lot of selfish attitudes in mmo's.  Actually, I think that's life in general lol
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Nice !

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Once the gear is soul bound, it's not of much use other than to be transformed into Materia. :)
  • rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    Originally posted by VanadromArda
    Once the gear is soul bound, it's not of much use other than to be transformed into Materia. :)

Crap, I forgot about that.  -_- 

Oh well, I guess I will just do it again later on down the road then.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Keep in mind it is closed beta, its not really a time where people go about farming stuff or trying to gain wealth so most poeple are focused on exploring the game and figuring things out. Personally I barely ever touch crafting in testing and I typically breeze through things. Sure, I can throw an answer if you got a question on how to do something or play but its just a beta, I won't be farming stuff or going out of way that much to help others. Call it selfish if you want, but to me considering everything gets wiped after, its far more productive for me to experience things myself and then bother with the social/helpful side of stuff after. I'm left pretty much with tunnel vision during testing.