Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard is NOT a Clone

I see this to much so its time to try and put a crunch on it. For those who have not read up on Vanguard and immediately assume from the one or two things you did manage to read or here I am here to try and deliver some needed information. Below are listed some of the many mechanics and things with supported links with information that will be in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Hopefully this will eliminate any clone assumptions.

Diplomacy: A sphere like adventuring and crafting. It will have its own experience bar and its own set of classes. It will be used to help run regular cities as well as player made cities. Diplomats will be the politicians of the MMO world. Being needed for regulating business as well as gaining permission to build player made cities on a given plot.

Here is a good write up by Havelock of Vanguard Silky Venom.

Perception is another new thing being added. It is a skill that players use to detect the actions of their opponent. It is a very important skill in combat as combat will involve you personally making decisions on what to do that will influence the outcome. Do you intercept the creature attacking your cleric or do you complete that powerful combination attack?

Perception is also used to learn some skills from creatures. Maybe you need to learn a special attack that only a certain creature knows. By watching that creature and perceiving what he is doing you could possibly learn that attack. Based on class of course. Its also a vital skill in traveling.

Here is an interview at Gamespot with Sigil CEO Brad McQuaid where he talks a bit about Perception.

The Adventuring sphere will show to have more tactical combat. You will have to think about what you are doing and play smart. Many things can happen during the course of combat. Your decision will influence the outcome and determine success or failure. Hitting auto attack and grabbing a coke is gonna get you killed.

For a great detailed write up in summery of all three as well as a few other things. I send you to Vanguard Silky Venom again and to Havelock's Fanguard Report 1-5.

Advanced Encounter System is what instancing got the axe for. ((Thank god)) The A.E.S. is a system that is activated by a group by either acquiring a rare drop item and using it or by killing a certain mob. There may be other ways it is all still in development. The A.E.S. is an encounter route specific to that group. At the end is the Golden Mob. These are one of the few mobs in the game that will be attackable by that group only. They must complete the encounter route first and then they have a shot at the Golden Mob. This gives the benefit of instancing without that annoying separation of the community into an empty pocket of Cyber space.

An editorial on the A.E.S. can be found at Vanguard Ten Ton Hammer.

One last bit of information I am providing is one from Vanguard Silky Venom. Oloh is one of the Beta players in Vanguard and Brad McQuaid gave him some exemption from the NDA. His post have been compiled with a list of his threads containing information about Vanguard from Beta 0 and Beta 1. You can find it here in the Book of Oloh.

The most common argument I see about the clone word is the fact that Vanguard will have encouraged grouping. Will it? Yes it will.  Will it be the only way to advance? No it won't. There are three types of areas in the world of Telon and they are labeled as Casual, Group, and Raid. I will explain the three.

Casual is content that people can go to solo, duo, or do small group things. Casual content in other words. Usually the above ground stuff if I gather correctly.

Group is obviously content for groups which at the moment is unknown how many will be in a full group. Current information has it between 6-8. Group content is the main focus of the game. So there will likely be more group content than say Raid or casual.

Raid is the big stuff. Unless something has changed the largest number I recall hearing for a raid force at the moment was 40. I could very well be wrong, but raid content is obviously the hardest targets that require a large force to bring down. It should be interesting with the new combat system.

I hope this will help in the clarification that Vanguard:Saga of Heroes is not a clone for those that may be a bit image. :p  Enjoy.

Assistant Community Manager
Age of Conan Ten Ton Hammer

Comments

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

well if you were going to call vanguard a clone i would say it is a eq1 pre kunark clone. its the people that say its a eq2 clone that kill me ::::12::

ya its going to have some new fresh ideas as well but also keep alot of old ideas as well, so ya you could call it a clone...i like to call it the real eq2 (and so do lots of other people) ::::28::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• WinterroseWinterrose Member Posts: 2

Interesting that you chose that era of EQ - while I don't think Vanguard will be a "clone" anymore than most MMORPG's are, I think that comparing it to a time in EQ that many of the "old timers" refer to as the best part of EQ is significant.  I know that was when we started playing and while I really loved the inception of the Planes of Power in EQ - my husband feels the game began to lose its appeal right after Kunark...so if Vanguard is similiar to EQ pre-Planes that could be a compliment.

• sparkatbsparkatb Member UncommonPosts: 175

Something you might want to add to your message if you want.

I read this yesterday, a little hint that Vanguard is already gearing up for raid content (unlike EQ2)

http://www.vanguardspheres.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355
    We even got a chance to do a bit of unintentional beta testing: Upon suggesting we get a closer look on one of the stone dwarven statues on the wall, we were suddenly flung outside onto the very mountain the city was built inside. Certainly a sign of a seamless world in action.

With wanderlust kicking in, we headed back upstairs to the art department for a closer look at the world in its creation stages. One of our stops included Ben Thompson, hard at work creating some of the most beautiful spell and skill icons yet seen in an MMO. His process was especially intriguing, painting each icon at a very high resolution directly onto the tablet monitor. While we chatted he began sketching out a human head for a new spell, working at an incredible speed. It was revealed that he was also responsible for the paintings found inside the throne room we had seen earlier. Another notable sighting were many artists working on different stages of the raid dungeon we had heard the music of earlier. One artist worked purely with the wire frame of one room, another was playing with its textures. Yet another created lighting and atmospheric effects. While the details are classified, I can say that hardcore raiders will not be disappointed. What we saw tops any raid location I have seen to date.

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

image  To everyone who has ever pre judged a game before they tried it, wake up, even me being a fanboi of eq2 spoke horribly on people of WoW poking fun at their sub par graphics and childish community, while a year and a half later playing WoW and leaving behind EQ2, and flamed on eq2 a bit, only to find that both games were crap. They both were crap all along was just blinded by the posts of these forums. So from one hater to another, Don't post a bad review, when that game isnt even out yet to be given a try, I have completely changed the way I look at MMO's for now on I wait until i try them for more than 6 months, then bash them =p. Can't really get an idea of what to bash correctly, without being a troll.  Just a thought. TO not bash what you don't know. Anything can change or happen, Anything, i mean look at the great things SOE did to SWG /joke

</rant>image