Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Colin Johanson on the Future of GW2 Updates

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has released a new video developer diary where Colin Johanson speaks about the future of Guild Wars 2 content updates, how they will function, when they will arrive and much, much more. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LadyAsh1LadyAsh1 Member Posts: 8
    I miss you Guild Wars 2. I can't wait until I get my new gaming PC
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Suppose I should just give up on hoping for any significant wvw changes. Gw2 is a great PVE game with WvW as a launch feature now forgotten.
  • IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    That's what I wanted to hear. More permanent content, please.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Suppose I should just give up on hoping for any significant wvw changes. Gw2 is a great PVE game with WvW as a launch feature now forgotten.

Oh pick your panties up WvW updates are commi...never mind I give up on common sense shame on me for relying on common sense that's been proven in less than a few months ago.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Oh come on the changes have been coming patch after patch even if it is small. Getting back to the point, the 2 week updates is somthing thats really exciting  and i can't wait to see what they come out with.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

GW2 is a horrible PvE game since nothing ever changes and when it does its only for a few weeks and reverts back to normal.  Theres no new weapons, no new skills, no new classes or anything else to break up the monotony.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

2 big things to get out of this video.

We're getting patches every 2 weeks.

More permanent content.

Colin is the man.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by azzamasin

GW2 is a horrible PvE game since nothing ever changes and when it does its only for a few weeks and reverts back to normal.  Theres no new weapons, no new skills, no new classes or anything else to break up the monotony.

seems you dont play the game becouse there are new sets, new skills and new content to play after each update

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Do you play the game or just like to see your post number go up? There are new skins, etc.

People complain about permanence in a game that makes the world seem dead, so they give you content that is non-permanent and you complain because it is not permanent - DAMNED IF THEY DO AND DAMNED IF THEY DON'T!!!

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

In general, when I get bored with something, I do something else.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

This is absolutely nuts. Four Living World teams each making content that takes the four months to produce as opposed to one or two teams having a few weeks only. Wow, that's opening the door for a LOT more significant content.

And to think, there are people that would actually prefer to run the same raid over and over again instead of having new stuff show up every couple weeks.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Its crazy, no other word can describe it

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

• Plaques and statues built in Lion's Arch.
    • Lion's Arch statue getting rebuilt from being destroyed.
    • Lion's Arch Lighthouse destroyed and slowly being rebuilt.
    • Shiverpeaks and Ascalon with Flame and Frost, but were reverted because we stopped the threat. (GASP)
    • Southsun Cove evolved during Flame and Frost + The Southsun storyline.
    Anet have admitted that they are learning, trying to find out what works and doesn't within the living story and with four teams they're bound to get somthing done.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Sciva

• Plaques and statues built in Lion's Arch.
    • Lion's Arch statue getting rebuilt from being destroyed.
    • Lion's Arch Lighthouse destroyed and slowly being rebuilt.
    • Shiverpeaks and Ascalon with Flame and Frost, but were reverted because we stopped the threat. (GASP)
    • Southsun Cove evolved during Flame and Frost + The Southsun storyline.
    Anet have admitted that they are learning, trying to find out what works and doesn't within the living story and with four teams they're bound to get somthing done.

As said in this video, Arenanet is experimenting with various content types and storytelling.. I think they are preparing for expansion.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

From their main post:

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."

That's...so hardcore.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

....how about qualtity updates over quantity? cool, more updates that nobody cares about. Gonna have so much fun lighting those torches and killing those same ol' dredge....not

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Asamof

....how about qualtity updates over quantity? cool, more updates that nobody cares about. Gonna have so much fun lighting those torches and killing those same ol' dredge....not

So.. you haven't played since February.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Smart really. How they make their money's through the gem store and the metrics probably show a spike during these temporary event patches.  So what do you do? Offer more of that, or if the game is having some revenue stream issues create more so more potential sales.

Realistically that's what this is, same as any other cash shop game. Not sure this approach will address the core issues with the game but if it keeps being profitable, I'm sure ANET won't care what I think  :P

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Could be quite interesting, i do hope that the "personal" story gets improvements with this as well, was really bummed by what's ingame.
  • sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

my issue with GW2 was always the carrot on the stick and the motivation.... you could do anything but without much of a reward.

Also the bugs mostly the skill bugs.

and lesser issue the triad missing... tank/healer/dps at first i loved the idea..but in action not so much....

plus to all the above their constant gold gaining nerfings so they can push their cash shop.

All the above were really turn off for me. I dunno if they have fixed anything or if it gets even worse. oh and the lack of people on the world..... i hardly see anyone on mid areas...everyone are on (propably) high level areas and Lion's Arch..all the rest world feel completely empty.

The amazing Graphics,lovely sceneries/artwork ,good animations,nice and rich sound system,no sub fee and the shallow constant free updates...

simply is not enough for me to go back

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I am glad to see them doing more to the game and adding so much at this rate is amazing. As for what the future holds dont know but I can't wait to see how much they add and or change the world thats there. The game has come along well in my opinion being there sense headstart till now and seeing the changes to the game has been some of the most fun things I have done in a long time and now I will get to enjoy even more with this news.

Also have not seen this posted but heres the new update coming on the 9th.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Still no new gameplay change ......... aka  weapon skills, combat mechanics, traits, or talent trees rehaul ... The thing that matter is how you play, not what you consume. You can spit out tons of new content every day if you like, as long as we'll be consuming it the same way we were during last 10 monthes, it will still be boring.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Smart really. How they make their money's through the gem store and the metrics probably show a spike during these temporary event patches.  So what do you do? Offer more of that, or if the game is having some revenue stream issues create more so more potential sales.

Realistically that's what this is, same as any other cash shop game. Not sure this approach will address the core issues with the game but if it keeps being profitable, I'm sure ANET won't care what I think  :P

That will probably be quite a large part of why they do these temporary updates and most people won’t even realise this. There’s not been one update since launch that made me actually want to log back in and play because most of it has all be temporary. So it will be interesting to see if anything permanent and substantial is released in the future or whither they continue with these temporary events that have one aim in mind.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Coolit
    Originally posted by Omnifish

That will probably be quite a large part of why they do these temporary updates and most people won’t even realise this. There’s not been one update since launch that made me actually want to log back in and play because most of it has all be temporary. So it will be interesting to see if anything permanent and substantial is released in the future or whither they continue with these temporary events that have one aim in mind.

Compared to what? WoW and their raids, which they give you to do over and over and over again for months until they cough out the next raid that renders the prior ones obsolete? Yeah, it's permanent, but useless now so the old raids sit dead. I like the content coming and going, it keeps things fresh and removes the clutter old MMOs tend to suffer from over time. It also allows room for new things to indeed keep coming every couple weeks. 

Oderint, dum metuant.