Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Rift: Hitting Its Stride in F2P

Comments

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    There is a lot to love about Rift.  Its definitely one of the best F2P models out there (along with Tera for example).  So much to do and never a dull moment.  But, I have to be honest.  I just can not for the life of me get back into the slow boring combat (i'm a level 39 SpellBlade, so I didn't quit before finishing the starter area).  I really hope someone out there is thinking about making a new mmo with combat system like Teras, but with a lot of Rift's good points like the dynamic events and other things.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Volgore

Funny thing is, back then you got easily banned on this website for saying that Rift will go F2P and threads discussing that topic got locked or deleted. Of course only after you've had a squad of white knights touting that Rift is so alive and well and will never go F2P allover you.

Now the same website and the same people hail "Rift went F2P".

It went F2P because for too many people it was just not good enough to spend money on it. For most people though, it was just not good enough to spend time on it. And it still isn't.

Times change. For many years "going F2P" was code for "it sucks" and trolls used (still do a bit) that to bash the game and provoke the fans. That's why those threads got locked. They were almost 100% troll threads.

GW2 was a game changer. An MMO that provided AAA P2P MMO quality without a sub. At the time it came out, many here argued against my posts saying just that. Now you have even the most hyped game this site has ever known, EQN, starting, not "going" F2P. The argument now isn't whether something is good enough to be worth a sub. It's about why anyone in their right mind would pay a sub for an MMO when there is so much AAA quality and variety in F2P titles.

People who want to try to provoke fans of MMOs will just need to come with a new shorthand to troll the forums.

BTW... I came back to Rift after ~ 14 months away and I'm having a blast. As others have said, this is also an excellent and unobtrussive implementation of F2P.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I have been playing this game a lot over the past 4-5 days with different classes trying to get a feel for the game again and I have to say, the F2P conversion is fantastic. The game is still looking good and there are quite a lot of people on even at non peak hours which is good.

The one thing about RIFT is it doesn't draw me in enough to make me want to go further and I am already back playing LotRO. I shall continue to dabble with it now and again for a change of scenery as I said, it is a good game and I am glad it is doing well.

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Rift is such a good themepark game, comparable to WoW. Also it's completely free without content restrictions, that's amazing thing. I feel like I can go back to Rift anytime without paying a penny. Just download Rift, play it and enjoy! Rift has a great future now! Trion GJ.
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    There is a lot to love about Rift.  Its definitely one of the best F2P models out there (along with Tera for example).  So much to do and never a dull moment.  But, I have to be honest.  I just can not for the life of me get back into the slow boring combat (i'm a level 39 SpellBlade, so I didn't quit before finishing the starter area).  I really hope someone out there is thinking about making a new mmo with combat system like Teras, but with a lot of Rift's good points like the dynamic events and other things.

Tab-targeted combat is one of the most unappealing aspects of the game for me now.  I love most everything else about the game, especially the class build system.  The traditional static combat just feels overly simplistic and boring.

It's still a very fun game, but I can't see playing more than one static combat game at a time.

edit:  I forgot to mention it is one of the best F2P setups out there.  For me, it's right up there with Tera and GW2 with how they charge for stuff and the access provided.

Couldn't agree with you more.  I really dislike Tab target combat.  I used to enjoy it, but like many things its time has passed for me.  I know there is definitely a market for Tab Target, as I know a few of my RL friends who prefer it over action combat (Tera or Neverwinter).  I guess its just not for me.  I do hope the game does well though, it definitely deserves it.

• Davfor7Davfor7 Member Posts: 7
    With all the changes they have done (and the fact a friend of mine got me to try again) it is fun to play again. I had bought the Infinity Edition of the xpac but never got to play it as real life happened. Then, I just didn't see paying the sub as I was involved in 2 -3 other games. Well, other games lost my interest after my friends stopped playing them and then I heard the f2p. After my disappointment with Defiance and remembered how bored I got after 3 month in RIFT, I was hesitant to try again. But I am glad I gave it another go. So much so that I have all my other subs cancelled and re upped my sub for RIFT again! Trion did some great things for RIFT and its fun again.
  • Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126

Wanted to get back into Rift. Love the class system. Played beta and 2 months post-release. Combat sucks though. It just sucks. Its boring and mundane. Plus I can wrap up every single ability that I need to use in 2 macros. They might have added alot of new things but the combat stayed the same.

I tried it and was gone again in 10 minutes. Glad alot of you are liking it again but the combat just turns me off.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

I agree that Trion has done a great job going f2p. It is not in your face all the time trying to get you to buy something. I love how you can open the shop and purchase with credit or ingame currency anywhere you are. The f2p is not what will stop me from continuing to play the game (at current I still sub.).

What will hinder me from continuing to play Rift is the fact that the factions are still sharing everything, not only that but little is faction specific anymore. You can now purchase the other faction's mounts, etc and I still have to play "nice nice" with the other side!!!! I know for many they don't care about this nor do they even think about how the lore is all messed up now, but this matters to me. When I pvp I want to have an enemy, but half the time I am teamed up with my enemy. NOT only am I forced to be a mercenary with my enemy, but I share guilds, raids, IE, and dungeons AND now They can even defect and be a part of the opposite faction !?!?!

In a time when more and more old school players (especially) are crying for 3 faction divided experience Trion is pretty much doing away with factions all together!

Yes, the f2p model is overall excellent.  it is in your face though.  I found the near full screen vendor screen annoying.  there is far too much for sale too (world/seasonal event mounts for instance is ridiculous- make a different model to sell, there should be a divide between earned mounts and cash shop mounts)

The rest of your post is a large reason why Ive uninstalled Rift finally.  not the faction merge, because as another poster said it wasnt that interesting to begin with.  because Rift's world is crafted to look pretty but its one of the absolute worst MMORPG worlds I have ever seen.  Its possibly the worst AAA world.  the races are garbage, and the lore is nothing special.  And they make changes with no regard to the world they have created:  3 faction PvP in a 2 faction world is a prime example.  they remove falling damage completely instead of just toning it down.

Rift is just a soulless world and they arent going to fix that anytime soon.

Luckily for Trion, many people don't care about that sort of thing and really only care about their carrots and rift does carrot on a stick as well as anyone.  But with themeparks like EQ2 and LOTRO and, yes, WoW providing more depth (in combat for all 3 and out of combat for the first 2) and a *much* better world I shouldn't have given rift as many chances as I did.

Suzie is right about the LOTRO f2p model: its garbage.  the worst freemium model by far, because even subbers have to pay money (unlike EQ2) for basic features.  Rift is easily the best AAA f2p model, so if you are looking for free gaming than Rift is where its at for you.  but I would rather pay 15 a month for a game I enjoy than play a game that I feel lacking for free.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Tab-targeted combat is one of the most unappealing aspects of the game for me now.  I love most everything else about the game, especially the class build system.  The traditional static combat just feels overly simplistic and boring.

It's still a very fun game, but I can't see playing more than one static combat game at a time.

edit:  I forgot to mention it is one of the best F2P setups out there.  For me, it's right up there with Tera and GW2 with how they charge for stuff and the access provided.

Couldn't agree with you more.  I really dislike Tab target combat.  I used to enjoy it, but like many things its time has passed for me.  I know there is definitely a market for Tab Target, as I know a few of my RL friends who prefer it over action combat (Tera or Neverwinter).  I guess its just not for me.  I do hope the game does well though, it definitely deserves it.

Its not just tab target combat, its that its pretty uninteresting tab target combat.  Its fun building your spec, but once its built and becomes dull to play it.

Its better than SWtOR, but thats not saying a whole lot.

I'm no fan of TERA or NW combat either.  i prefer some complexity in the combat and these two games lack it.  i enjoyed GW2 a little bit more if only for the cool factor of jumping in other class's "puddles" and doing a spin attack tossing fire everywhere, but even that system got old fairly fast.

Originally posted by Krimzin

Only one down side, I wish the WoW Fanbois would have stayed with WoW. With it being F2P the Chat is as bad if not worse than Barrens chat. I have to turn it off most days.

Like anything else, you have to take the bad with the good.

It has nothing to do with "WoW fanbois", and the chat was bad (at least on Faeblight) long before f2p conversion.  Its more of a generational thing than anything, people in their 20s and younger love to act like idiots online (and some of the 30+ do too of course)

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Been playing Rift for my 3rd (since launch) time this past month, 2 weeks before and after f2p's launch. I've been having a blast on Seastone from everything, including the wpvp the population increase f2p has brought.

A great game deserves a great community, and Rift f2p has been the best f2p transition I have seen to date.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Best F2P game and transition. Played rift F2P now...umm... well least over 2 week and im hooked:)
  • Ultima2Ultima2 Member Posts: 4
    One thing that's worth noting: the orange "relic" gear that you can occasionally get from the lockboxes is actually a lot weaker than purple raid gear, and only a tiny step up from blue and purple dungeon gear.
  • Ultima2Ultima2 Member Posts: 4

The only truly "irreplaceable" thing in the store are the extra souls (which are much like specs in WoW) that were added in the Storm Legion expansion, one for each class. Even then, if you don't purchase the soul pack, you can still do everything, you're just denied a bit of versatility-- for instance, the new warrior soul was Tempest, a ranged lightning-based soul, but you can play any of the other 8 warrior souls at full potency without spending a dime.

It's the least restrictive F2P model I've ever seen, to the point that I'm actually wondering if they'll continue to make a profit-- I've played the game for over a year, and there's not much in the store that I'd be enticed to buy.

• Originally posted by Manestream

I have had a lot of bad experiances with F2P games, most so that I was avoiding them at all costs, reason, eventually forced to use item shop and the cost would be ridiculous and also end up being 3, 4 or 5 times more expensive than a monthly fee used to be. It was also buy to stay in touch or lose out.

The first game I have actually touched that has been F2P is Neverwinter, I do a lot of grinding and convert items and other things into item store currency. It does take a lot of working, but I only do what I get on my journey.

Lotro left that when it went F2P, tried it for all of a week in F2P and have never been back since. Account was with codemasters who ran the EU side, I had forgotten my PW and could not log back in, its now changed (I believe) and my account I had and everything has been lost (no e-mail received other than the one from codemasters saying it was moving over). Will I go back, nope, not if it means paying again for what I once already had. There have been many other F2P games I have been in and not been in and a lot of word of mouth to avoid.

I do not know about Rift as of yet, there must be a catch somewhere, they carnt go from P2P to F2p and not have some sort of catch where you will have to use the item shop eventually?

Sorry but past experiances say this and it will take time for this sort of thing to become trusted again. In the past its been F2P = grind as much out of players as we can before we finally turn the servers off.

you correct but it is not about the F2P model but the company policy and how fast they get greedy/ pressed for cash, by far TRION had the best customer/community support since day one by any MMO company i have encountered so far(minus arena net). So a word of advice put your past fears aside and enjoy a master piece like rift 

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I don't understand why so many people are gushing over this game, it has one of the most lackluster combat systems I have played in an MMO, made worse by the ease in which you can macro its was 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 2, and if things get really exciting you might have to move a bit to the left to avoid the red circle. There is very little strategy involved, or twitch... in fact it is one of the easiest MMO I have ever played. Almost as easy as lotro and thats for special people. The Graphics are ok overall, if a little dull, but the character animations are poor and lack of character creation options is a letdown. The music is good, but the voice acting is woeful, especially in the SL expansion. Crafting is dull as is the lore and housing. In fact the only thing that kept me playing was the raids. Personally, I think there are better f2p games.
    Originally posted by Ultima2

It's the least restrictive F2P model I've ever seen, to the point that I'm actually wondering if they'll continue to make a profit-- I've played the game for over a year, and there's not much in the store that I'd be enticed to buy.

They will make good money off the cash shop.  Its full of shortcuts (you can skip running dungeons, skip doing festival events for mounts, etc) and there are enough people that will pay instead of play.

Of course thats good news for people like you, let them fund your play time.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

I played this F2P for a little while.

While it seems very interesting and has alot of offer.

The character models are butt ugly and for a 2 year old game, it looks horrible.

I couldn't get over that. Just IMO.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

I am very much enjoying the revisit to Rift. I enjoyed beta and release but once I got to end game it was a very shallow grindfest. Shallow as not much to do besides grind rep or keep running the same experts repeatedly.

So I have now came back with some of my friends from our EQ2 guild a few have played Rift before. So far we are all having fun. Yes sadly there is the azzhole element that comes with F2P that want to make chat unbearable but they will die out like they usually do. Most are in the lower level chat brackets so easy to turn off. 50-59 chat seems much more mature and with very helpful people.

I just wish they made the personal and guild Dimensions useful for anything like storage.

Oh and long live the Chloro.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Yep, I thought GW2 did a fine job but the folks at Trion have topped them all.  This is the best F2P hybrid I've ever seen.  I want the Wildstar devs to check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spend more money because I feel the system is FAIR.  I will pay 6 bucks for a faster mount, not $35 like Neverwinter tries to bend you for.  The prices are FAIR and the dimension items are fantastic.

Trion hit one out of the park.

No bitchers.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

I played this F2P for a little while.

While it seems very interesting and has alot of offer.

The character models are butt ugly and for a 2 year old game, it looks horrible.

I couldn't get over that. Just IMO.

Maybe it was your settings.  It is one of the better looking MMORPGs out there.  I can understand if you don't like the art style though, they don't have a lot of things that are cute or pretty in the game.(but they do the dark vibe pretty damn well)  Same thing goes for characters, the races are all pretty good, but not standard and certainly not big eyed anime, cutesy or cartoon, so if that is your thing I can see it being a turn off.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Ever wonder why WoW hasn't gone free-to-play? Simple, games that have quality are worth a subscription.

That being said, WoW isn't worth even "free" to me, but that's because I hate WoW for destroying the MMO genre. (plus it's just too easy for me, no fun there)

That aside, this article just means that RIFT was hurting something fierce if their subscriber numbers were so low that "F2P" boosted them up a bit.

Sad really, but not unexpected considering they tried to copy WoW with a little bit of unique "flare". I hope the developers laid off a bit ago from TRION are doing well :).

Saying something like that tells us that you haven't really thought about the industry at all.  Seriously.  Quality isn't the most important factor when determining whether the market will respond well to a sub model.  Market saturation is.  The only time the sub model was incredibly successful was when the MMO market was just begging to emerge.  Now that there are more MMO's than players (I kid, but its really not long before its true) they can't all support a sub model and remain profitable.

In fact, based on what I've seen...the market will only really support 3 sub games at a time.  Western market, that is.  Eastern markets won't support 1 half the time, they are VERY oriented around F2P systems.  So it comes as nearly a guarantee that if you are making a new MMO its GOING to have to be made with F2P in mind at some point.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Gishgeron
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Ever wonder why WoW hasn't gone free-to-play? Simple, games that have quality are worth a subscription.

That being said, WoW isn't worth even "free" to me, but that's because I hate WoW for destroying the MMO genre. (plus it's just too easy for me, no fun there)

That aside, this article just means that RIFT was hurting something fierce if their subscriber numbers were so low that "F2P" boosted them up a bit.

Sad really, but not unexpected considering they tried to copy WoW with a little bit of unique "flare". I hope the developers laid off a bit ago from TRION are doing well :).

Saying something like that tells us that you haven't really thought about the industry at all.  Seriously.  Quality isn't the most important factor when determining whether the market will respond well to a sub model.  Market saturation is.  The only time the sub model was incredibly successful was when the MMO market was just begging to emerge.  Now that there are more MMO's than players (I kid, but its really not long before its true) they can't all support a sub model and remain profitable.

In fact, based on what I've seen...the market will only really support 3 sub games at a time.  Western market, that is.  Eastern markets won't support 1 half the time, they are VERY oriented around F2P systems.  So it comes as nearly a guarantee that if you are making a new MMO its GOING to have to be made with F2P in mind at some point.

2 big factors, 1 is quality, the other big factor is whether or not the company can continuously provide value to their customers.  In this day and age people aren't going to give you money every month if you aren't giving them value.  If they don't feel you are giving them enough content to warrant the sub cost they will leave.

Frankly this is the reason why sub is the better model.  The pressure is on the developers to provide quality and value.  In F2P all they have to do is provide a bunch of crap in the item store and it doesn't matter if people stay or leave as long as they can get steady revenue from the same old item store crap.  Not saying that is what they all do, but there isn't a lot of pressure to provide quality content at a good pace.  It looks like Rift is staying on course and will continue to provide new content at a good pace, and I really hope they do because Rift is an awesome game and I would hate to see them stagnate in item store hell like so many F2P games do.

• daethevendaetheven Member Posts: 51

Rift by far has the best F2p hands down , i have yet to see any f2p that doesnt have a catch to make you pay, some would argue the selling on the AH block for froobs is a catch , well as a player who has played mmo's since 2000 most of those game did not have a AH i made my money in chat and its not a game stopper ,

but but what about if i want it unlocked i have to pay cash to do it right,

no not really the deeps boxes drop and sell any where from 30 plat to a couple hundred if you luck out you can easily make enough plat to buy rex from players and unlock it that way , mounts can be bought for plat same speed as the ones they offer in the store the fancy mounts ie tigers lizards and what not match your fastest mount

as for the 2 char limit and the 3 bag slot limit the way the soul trees are set you may never need more then the two and the 3 bag slots buy or get from a guild the 28 slot bags and now that you can sell your grey items at any time from anywhere in the game world in the rift store space is not a issue

the only thing i cant stand to hear about rift well any game for that matter if there is swords and shields its a wow clone if you ask me wow was a clone of asherons call or ultima online or dark age of camelot i could go on , every game will always have something that can be found in another game

• Lex_TalionesLex_Taliones Member Posts: 38

I am back ... and I LOVE IT again!  So much so that I got another year sub.  Love the changes, and the new content.  Only drawback might be the F2P chat Trolls.

So far anyway...