Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the combat get better?

13»

Comments

• WittenWitten Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    My mage literally stands in front of monsters a full level or two above me and just spams 1111111111111111111111111111. and I win. And that's it. I'm level 10 but 10 levels of that garbage is pretty dumb. Does it ever change or will I always be able to cast 1 spell and win? This game feels like every other game I've played in the past 4 years, what makes it different?

No it doesn't get better. And yes this game is like any other themepark MMO. What is different about it? nothing. 

I had the chance to take a look at your sig btw, says you're a trader.

ARR has a pretty damn good crafting/gathering/economy system in place. I'm not going to paint it all rosy and say it's perfect because there's no such thing.

I can tell you however that you will profit off the fruits of your labor, just like rl.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

@ OP Some will like it some wont, really no need for me to try to sway you either way since it seems you have already made up your mind about it............

There are plenty of other games out there... You don't like it, don't play not really that hard of a concept........

• separateunionseparateunion Member Posts: 29

Something I'm not understanding is, there seems to be a lot of people saying "I played to level 10, 11, 12...15, combat is very repetitive and uninteresting, you only get one skill, etc." Wasn't FF XI essentially the same way? Stand there and auto attack until you can pop your WS? I seem to remember doing that while soloing until I hit about level 12-15, at which point I started grouping. WoW is the same way. Sure, you might get more skills, but soloing trash mobs is basically 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. I'm not really sure what people expect out of a combat system while soloing a low level character.

Edited to add: There also seems to be a huge divide on whether or not combat becomes more difficult/complex later. Some people here are obviously lying, because it either is or it isn't. I could understand if people were saying "I enjoy/don't enjoy it," but qualitative statements are being made.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by separateunion

Something I'm not understanding is, there seems to be a lot of people saying "I played to level 10, 11, 12...15, combat is very repetitive and uninteresting, you only get one skill, etc." Wasn't FF XI essentially the same way? Stand there and auto attack until you can pop your WS? I seem to remember doing that while soloing until I hit about level 12-15, at which point I started grouping. WoW is the same way. Sure, you might get more skills, but soloing trash mobs is basically 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. I'm not really sure what people expect out of a combat system while soloing a low level character.

Edited to add: There also seems to be a huge divide on whether or not combat becomes more difficult/complex later. Some people here are obviously lying, because it either is or it isn't. I could understand if people were saying "I enjoy/don't enjoy it," but qualitative statements are being made.

It also has to do with perception and what one considers to be "improvement".

This wasn't really clarified by the OP.

What could be vast improvement to one, could be passable to another.  In addition, they may be just referring to world map combat and not FATE/Boss/Story/Dungeon/Raid (future)/Behest/Guildhest/Leve/Hamlet combat (or even group combat, which makes things more interested with the next systems introduced as you level).

Difficulty could also be subjective, and may or may not be considered "fun" by people.  For instance, most people get owned on the level 14 boss fight.  There are complaints on the forums to nerf it.  Though there are posts against that saying that difficulty and having to work hard at leveling multiple jobs (via the Armory system in combat) is what makes it fun and unique to them.

In addition, to supplement what someone said previously, as a THM you unlock fair a bit of abilities by level 15.  One should not be pressing "11111" if they want efficiency (especially in late game and not out in the world facing lower level mobs).  They will likely get owned in the above content and run out of mana quickly (and generally give their group a disadvantage for not employing the necessary skills).  You also have to know when to switch to a new skills, lest you waste your affinity score.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • julizsjulizs Member Posts: 9

5 skills with a lvl 12 conjurer is just too less. And please dont explain it with a "learning curve", in most other games you learn how to use 10 skills within the first 5-10 levels.

As for the complexity at level 50: Well thats fine, but too bad most players wont even reach level 30 because of the boredom of combat.

never be enough

Originally posted by julizs

...but too bad most players wont even reach level 30 because of the boredom of combat.

You're right and that's a sad fact in terms of MMORPGS these days.   In fact, WoW released a few dev articles stating that most people tend to stop playing MMOs before they reach level 10 (which led them to remaking the starting zones as well as every other zone to implement flying).  They judge it and adopt the "been around the block" attitude.  They also think they know everything about a game just because of the genre and some would even go as far as saying they know more about the game than people who have max levels within it (regardless of the game in question).  It's just human nature at times.

Though at it's core, a Final Fantasy game is about patience, perseverance (hard work), reading (well written texts, and a lot of them), and most of all about the namesake of the title.  It starts off slow in every respect -- even the story is something that treats you like a green adventurer (which you are) and doesn't trust you with epic quests.  Those who don't make it to the airship part, probably aren't the target audience (or possessive of the above qualities).

Let's be honest and say that many gamers nowadays do not possess these qualities.  Heck, a lot of them didn't back when FFXI was released.  We have people saying it sucked, who never reached leveling parties or Valkrum Dunes.  It doesn't mean they're bads (as many here would say, what with the hate of "casuals" making things easy and developers caving just so some gamers with ADD will make it past level 10), but it just means that they're a party that needs to be considered at times.

With FFXIV they aren't really the main target audience.  Those who enjoy reading, patience and hard work (as there is a lot of in this game, especially with the Armory system) are what I say are (though even some of those may not like it, and that's okay -- no game is for everyone of any group).  Even those who aren't necessarily used to MMORPGs on the console, but enjoy Final Fantasy games on them.

There was a quote here by someone saying something along the lines of "players always complain that a game has rails, but when it's suddenly taken away from them-" (as some systems do in FFXIV, as there is a sharp 180 in difficulty and team requirements and the like -- especially when you're done with the story quests) "- all they do is complain.  Players just don't know what they want."  This was an interesting comment that has a lot of implications behind it, but also a lot of truth if one actually researches many of the pasts games and where they are now.

Lastly, there was a decent read from the Producer Director himself about this topic matter (there was also a very long post months ago about the goals of the combat system; I'll look into finding it if you are still interested in learning more).

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/388575/Read-this-and-you-will-have-confidence-this-game-will-be-great-message-from-Yoshida.html

Note:  This post is incredibly long, but I definitely recommend it as a good read since you don't want the "it's for learning purposes" speech.

:)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    Originally posted by Murugan

It's not snide and condescending to say that 1-49 is just a boring grind?  I think it is snide to constantly resort to hyperbolic exaggerations and dismissing the notion that the game has a difficulty curve because you insist it is about only spamming a few abilities (despite being told by many people this is not the case). 

Like I said, done with you.

I guess you perceived being slighted once on this forum, and now any time I post you like to come in, single out my post, and troll it. Of all the posts in the thread, you continue to troll mine. You constantly go "You're ignoring everyone else", but the thread has multiple people who are pointing out that you're wrong, too. The difference being, I don't have to act like a jackass to state my opinion. You had 4 posts in this thread, and not one of them doesn't involve a paragraph of just blatant discourtesy to the people who don't agree with you. Something you should think about.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by julizs

5 skills with a lvl 12 conjurer is just too less. And please dont explain it with a "learning curve", in most other games you learn how to use 10 skills within the first 5-10 levels.

No wonder most other games flop due to lack of new players then. Cater to the impatient MMO playerbase and prepare to fail.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by gandles
    the combat is boring and ARR isn't really that good...people hyping it up. basically youre going to pay for something you can get for free out of other titles...just my opinion

Opinions are great!  Though I believe those who actually have level 1-35 characters in beta -- as well as level 50 characters that were just transferred -- are more reliable as a source of information.

It's how I wouldn't ask Dr. Phil for an opinion on String Theory; I would go to Dr. Michio Kaku for that.  He actually put in the time to understand such and does not formulate an opinion based on past experiences with studies rather than the topic of String Theory on hand (I.E. some just used past experiences and say "played one, played all" whereas another may actually spent significant time in which to formulate their own opinion).

i have 50 in all classes from 1.0..like i said earlier this game isnt good..itll fail as 1.0 did.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

i have 50 in all classes from 1.0..like i said earlier this game isnt good..itll fail as 1.0 did.

Disgruntled 1.xx player in this thread? A nice change of pace compared to the usual disgruntled MMO/themepark/fun haters I guess.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    the combat is boring and ARR isn't really that good...people hyping it up. basically youre going to pay for something you can get for free out of other titles...just my opinion

Opinions are great!  Though I believe those who actually have level 1-35 characters in beta -- as well as level 50 characters that were just transferred -- are more reliable as a source of information.

It's how I wouldn't ask Dr. Phil for an opinion on String Theory; I would go to Dr. Michio Kaku for that.  He actually put in the time to understand such and does not formulate an opinion based on past experiences with studies rather than the topic of String Theory on hand (I.E. some just used past experiences and say "played one, played all" whereas another may actually spent significant time in which to formulate their own opinion).

Yea it was such a fail you maximized all classes in it.... If I ever put that much effort and time in a game that would mean I actually enjoyed it, or else I would be complete retard to play this much something that is fail to me :) Would figure out at least half way there that I won't be satisfied at the end :)

I'd like to just quote myself to answer this response to my post:

"With that, it's up to the individual to actually play the game from start to finish to see which is true.  Both would be fools to say something is a guaranteed success or failure, but the reader's job is to find out who is more reliable and take it with a grain of salt (perhaps under advisory) as they go about finding it out for themselves."

Post #40

I'll just note that this was written before your response and I'm just quoting myself when I was talking about no one in particular.

Edit:

In doing some research, I noticed that you were searching for a beta key not but a few days ago.  Players of 1.0 have had access to the beta for a long time.  I'd imagine those who stayed long enough to level in 1.0 would've also got legacy and instantly added to Alpha.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5801156#5801156

Therefore, I would like to ask if you could link your character in the Lodestone.  I believe everyone is truthful on these forums, but I just want to put to rest some suspicions.  Thanks  :)

• romelloromello Member Posts: 34
    unless they add more features to it, its still tab tab 12345 click click 12345 (every 1-2.5 seconds all day long if caster like conjurer =_=)

hallo ~_~

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by romello
    unless they add more features to it, its still tab tab 12345 click click 12345 (every 1-2.5 seconds all day long if caster like conjurer =_=)

You play on keyboard, so you press buttons. Is there anything else you can do with keyboard? Does it work like wii remote? Or maybe you think pressing more buttons would make it cooler?

I think enough of this has been talked about, so I won't go into further depth.

But what you described just sounds like a video game to me.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    unless they add more features to it, its still tab tab 12345 click click 12345 (every 1-2 seconds all day long if caster like conjurer =_=)

There are only two other caster classes in the game, Thaumaturge and Arcanist.  Arcanist isn't available in beta, and Thaumaturge plays absolutely nothing like conjurer.  If soloing as a healer (conjurer is healer in case you didn't pick up on that in all of its quests/ability list) is the weak point of combat in this game, I think they are doing something right.  Healers that solo should be arrested, you are needed in  a group somewhere.

• AzartenAzarten Member UncommonPosts: 33

If there is no mobility in combat then how was I able to kite, evade mobs around terrain to heal up, run behind mobs before they unleashed a more powerful attack, move out of their major attacks (red ground circle) and more, and that was on a Gladiator.  I suppose you could just play wack-a-mole, but then you'd probably be making more trips back to the respawn point sticking with that play style as you progressed through the levels.

For me I liked the mix of a more classic strategic combat system with action combat elements put in to add some more diversity.  There is now so many games with different combat systems around that I'm sure there must be ones for each  individuals varied personal tastes.  If FFXIV ARR doesn't appeal to someone then that's fine, hopefully they find a game they do like, but for me I think it's far better that we do have and continue to have diversity in the MMO choices available to us.

p.s. How many years will it be before people are saying "'oh no not another action combat MMO" like they do now with other combat style games?