Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want/expect?

NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
I keep seeing complaints that it's the same old games over and over.  Yet people don't seem to really know what they want either.  I mean an MMORPG is going to be like other MMORPGs it's just how game markets work.  It's like asking CoD to stop being an FPS because it's been done before.

Comments

• JakzyJakzy Member Posts: 68

This would make me a happy man..

Don´t get to the max lvl in a loooong time

You can team up with ppl even tho there´s a lvl difference (to a certain extent that is)

I has to be a fairly big death penalty

No boring WoW combat system or chaotic one.

Huge crafting and housing opportunities

NO dungeon queue system, it only screws the community in a game

A huge open world with open pvp!

A huuuuge class/race/skill variation

• Algaroth_the_VhyleAlgaroth_the_Vhyle Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Algidity

You can team up with ppl even tho there´s a lvl difference (to a certain extent that is)

I second many of these options. Crafting and housing opportunities would be fantastic; especially housing. An environment with acres upon acres of open land where one could choose to start their house there, given they meet a certain criteria (whatever that may be). One of the biggest things I loved about UO was the housing system.

Open PVP - I agree with that as well. There may be some criteria to that as well, which I don't have the time at the moment to outline my thoughts on that.

Class/race/skill variation - for obvious reasons.

And my thoughts on the combat system - does anyone remember the Interplay/Treyarch title "Die by the Sword" back in the day? You had full control over the character's sword. You were able to swing or block with the weapon in any direction. The velocity/momentum, point of impact of the weapon and the point of impact on the opponent all came into play on how much damage you inflicted. It was a pretty fascinating combat adaptation; one of the most unique ones I've seen yet in a game. And that game came out in the late 1990s! I think if more fantasy MMOs had such a system, it would be pretty awesome.

If there is such a game with that system that exists, let me know... I've been out of the loop on new MMOs for a while. After a couple of years away, I'm getting back into the genre, because I just can't stay away.

Oh and this is my first post. 8)

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

A game not set in the medieval time period.

A game without orcs, elves (anything with pointy ears), humans, etc.

A game without 'armors', 'weapons', 'helms' (again, medieval descriptions), etc.

A game without exploits, farmers, bots, spammers, etc.

A game without a desert, forest, mountains, your common backgrounds and scenarios, etc.

A game without fireballs, or a spell called 'heal', or some kind of whirlwind ability, etc.

A game without a cash shop.

A game that has a sub.

A game with more integrated combat, not spam, spam, spam.

A game with half quest / half grind.

A game where safe zones can be destroyed and need to be rebuilt. (by players)

A game where your bank is not always safe.

A game where PvP has meaning.

A game where 'guilds' play a more pivotal roll in the shaping of your faction. (Gets everyone involved)

A game where  'guilds' are very hard to make and create with a huge requirement list for both creator and joiners.

A game where story line fuses with environment. (including how you get into group play content)'

A game with extensive Housing (almost sims style)

A game that has meaningful drops.

A game without an AH, but some kind of barter system that is player driven.

I'm just going to stop. I really can go on and on.

• JakzyJakzy Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Coated

A game not set in the medieval time period.

A game without orcs, elves (anything with pointy ears), humans, etc.

A game without 'armors', 'weapons', 'helms' (again, medieval descriptions), etc.

A game without exploits, farmers, bots, spammers, etc.

A game without a desert, forest, mountains, your common backgrounds and scenarios, etc.

A game without fireballs, or a spell called 'heal', or some kind of whirlwind ability, etc.

A game without a cash shop.

A game that has a sub.

A game with more integrated combat, not spam, spam, spam.

A game with half quest / half grind.

A game where your bank is not always safe.

A game where PvP has meaning.

A game where 'guilds' play a more pivotal roll in the shaping of your faction. (Gets everyone involved)

A game where  'guilds' are very hard to make and create with a huge requirement list for both creator and joiners.

A game where story line fuses with environment. (including how you get into group play content)'

A game with extensive Housing (almost sims style)

A game that has meaningful drops.

A game without an AH, but some kind of barter system that is player driven.

I'm just going to stop. I really can go on and on.

I second many of these : p

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by NetSage
    I keep seeing complaints that it's the same old games over and over.  Yet people don't seem to really know what they want either.  I mean an MMORPG is going to be like other MMORPGs it's just how game markets work.  It's like asking CoD to stop being an FPS because it's been done before.
    When a player picks up CoD, they know what to expect. That is one game. MMOs are varied, or at least are supposed to be.

For me, give me first a Virtual World to explore and let my character live in it. If I see a cool mountain in the distance, let me go see it up close and personal. Don't block my way with invisible walls and faulty terrain impediments. Give me black as pitch nights, weather that changes, fog, and actual seasons. Give me a feeling of time passing in the this virtual world. Let me build a home in this world to sleep in at night, come home to when I am done adventuring, and a place to hang my helm.

Next, let my levels and gear mean something. In a 2 hour play session, I should not be getting 3-5 levels and replacing my gear every 3 or 4 fights. At that rate, they become meaningless. I have never upgraded a weapon or armor with gems or enchantments simply because I knew that in 30 minutes, I'd be replacing it. I gain levels so fast I do not get a feel for any new skills, spells, or abilities before I am given more to learn. Just slow it down. Let me savor my accomplishments a little more before praised again.

Another bone of contention for me is experience. If I swing my sword, why does my sneaking skill get better? I am a proponent of "use a skill, increase the skill." If I want to increase my combat skills, I'll combat enemies. My skills increase and I do not need XP. Same goes for crafting skills or other non-combat skills.

Character Creation is rather wanting in my eyes. There have been very few MMOs I have played where I felt like I created a character that was mine. City of Heroes had a very good creation tool, but even they had limited actual looks, as in faces and hairstyles to choose from. Their strength was in the actual costume design, not the character. Why do we only have 10 faces and 15 hairstyles (many repeated across races) in the "good" character creation MMOs? Give me 100's of each :) (Wish in one hand and shit in the other, right?)

Quests... Chores are not quests. Helping farmer John harvest his grapes is not a quest. It is a chore. Helping Maggie get rid of some terrible infestation in her basement is a chore, not a quest. Learning how to tame a pet is a quest. Learning how to change shape or form is a quest. Learning new spells could be the stuff of quests. Getting top end gear could be the meat of a grand or epic quest. Looking for a master of their craft and learning what they can teach can be a quest.

Starting Areas. They have gone the way of the dodo bird. Many MMOs stick everyone in 1 or 2, maybe 3 starting areas, making very few players feel any connection to them. Nobody's "birthplace" is different than anyone else's. "You're a Wood Elf? How is <wood elf city>?" at least gives some kind of identification in the game. Having 2 or 3 starting cities for each race just adds that much more flavor. And work, I realize. Starting areas could even be "connectors" to multiple starting cities.

While I am at it, give me very different classes to play. Make them varied. Let them play the game differently. Let my rogue pick locks. Let my fighter smash open doors and chests. Let my wizard cast spells to open barred passages and chests. Let my cleric call upon his deity for help.

This is the tip of my personal iceberg. I'll stop before I find out if there is a character limit to posts :)

[EDIT]
    "What do I expect?" None of the above. Most players do not want any of this. They want to fight, fight, fight to end game and then fight, fight, fight some more.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Coated
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a "safe zone?"

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by Algidity

I would like that game, however the pve crowd would hate it .

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

When a player picks up CoD, they know what to expect. That is one game. MMOs are varied, or at least are supposed to be.

For me, give me first a Virtual World to explore and let my character live in it. If I see a cool mountain in the distance, let me go see it up close and personal. Don't block my way with invisible walls and faulty terrain impediments. Give me black as pitch nights, weather that changes, fog, and actual seasons. Give me a feeling of time passing in the this virtual world. Let me build a home in this world to sleep in at night, come home to when I am done adventuring, and a place to hang my helm.

Next, let my levels and gear mean something. In a 2 hour play session, I should not be getting 3-5 levels and replacing my gear every 3 or 4 fights. At that rate, they become meaningless. I have never upgraded a weapon or armor with gems or enchantments simply because I knew that in 30 minutes, I'd be replacing it. I gain levels so fast I do not get a feel for any new skills, spells, or abilities before I am given more to learn. Just slow it down. Let me savor my accomplishments a little more before praised again.

Another bone of contention for me is experience. If I swing my sword, why does my sneaking skill get better? I am a proponent of "use a skill, increase the skill." If I want to increase my combat skills, I'll combat enemies. My skills increase and I do not need XP. Same goes for crafting skills or other non-combat skills.

Character Creation is rather wanting in my eyes. There have been very few MMOs I have played where I felt like I created a character that was mine. City of Heroes had a very good creation tool, but even they had limited actual looks, as in faces and hairstyles to choose from. Their strength was in the actual costume design, not the character. Why do we only have 10 faces and 15 hairstyles (many repeated across races) in the "good" character creation MMOs? Give me 100's of each :) (Wish in one hand and shit in the other, right?)

Quests... Chores are not quests. Helping farmer John harvest his grapes is not a quest. It is a chore. Helping Maggie get rid of some terrible infestation in her basement is a chore, not a quest. Learning how to tame a pet is a quest. Learning how to change shape or form is a quest. Learning new spells could be the stuff of quests. Getting top end gear could be the meat of a grand or epic quest. Looking for a master of their craft and learning what they can teach can be a quest.

Starting Areas. They have gone the way of the dodo bird. Many MMOs stick everyone in 1 or 2, maybe 3 starting areas, making very few players feel any connection to them. Nobody's "birthplace" is different than anyone else's. "You're a Wood Elf? How is ?" at least gives some kind of identification in the game. Having 2 or 3 starting cities for each race just adds that much more flavor. And work, I realize. Starting areas could even be "connectors" to multiple starting cities.

While I am at it, give me very different classes to play. Make them varied. Let them play the game differently. Let my rogue pick locks. Let my fighter smash open doors and chests. Let my wizard cast spells to open barred passages and chests. Let my cleric call upon his deity for help.

This is the tip of my personal iceberg. I'll stop before I find out if there is a character limit to posts :)

[EDIT]
    "What do I expect?" None of the above. Most players do not want any of this. They want to fight, fight, fight to end game and then fight, fight, fight some more.

actually this sounds good also.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Regarding the highlighted portion.....  they don't have to be this way.

MMORPG's in their early years, while sharing many similarities also had some very significant variances between them and they really did play quite differently. 

If you actually had the time to play most of them (and usually people didn't because they spent longer amounts of time on their chosen game) you would have found that UO played quite differently from AC1, DAOC, EQ1, Runescape, Lineage 1&2,  SWG, EVE, AO and FFXI.

With the success of WOW game makers started the homiginization of MMORPG's, copying a very significant portion of the features that Blizzard used and then tossing in a few smaller variances which at the end of the day, didn't amount to much hence the term clone really started to get thrown around a lot more.

So we end up where we are today, most players (and the people who make the games)  think like you do, that MMO's must play a certain way, and it really isn't true.  A particular design might be necessary in order to ensure the highest possible rate of return on the investment, but it doesn't mean there aren't other alternatives that are possible and even fun.

So you ask what I want.  At the end of the day, MMORPG's designed with many of the features that other folks are going to share here in this thread.  What it really comes down to is I want  is a significantly different game play experience, much as I did when I jumped from WOW/LotRO over to EVE.  A huge variance I assure you, and I'm looking for that same sort of "shock" if you will again.

It just isn't very likely to happen, but I keep hoping.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I know exactly what i want from a MMO.

- Good combat

- a difficulty option so i can find the right level of challenge

- deep build & gear experimentation, synergy and meta-game

- good progression

- instance missions/stories/scripted events

- LFD/LFR

- AH

- cross server grouping (or better yet, channel instead of server)

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Wow so many great ideas. How about all 7 of you team up and make a game of your dreams... get a kickstarter running and maybe you'll even find few supporters to back you up. Then start making the game and maybe in 100 years you'll implement everything you want, while all the other 30 million of people will play mainstream games like SWTOR 4 or Final Fantasy RRAAPR (Realm Reborn Again After the Previous Rebirth). Maybe your idea will even go pre-alpha before it dies and lands in the graveyard with other 'great' indie 'hardcore gamer', virtual world mmorpgs :)

Come on. You know you are all hipsters of mmorpg community. You probably wouldn't even like your own ideas if they ever came to be. It only sounds nice, but if you'd try to implement this stuff it just wouldn't work out in today's standards. Those 'old school' games were boring as f**k. You only liked them, because it was your first experience of that kind. I mean come on... Even fishing two pixel fishes was entertaining, when atari's first came out... You like this games now only because of sentiment and you try to convince yourselves they were really that awesome :) There is a reason no one makes games like that anymore :)

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I want worlds that take a story and then takes the writer out of it, leaving the lands, peoples and forces of nature they imagined living inside a server and its databases.

I want a client that translates that world into a form my imagination can digest and simultaneously communicates back to the server my instructions to a character living within that world.

I expect to be able to play my character, to occassionally cross paths with other people playing their characters and to not hate the experience when it happens.

I expect a clean seperation between my out-of-game decisions as a consumer and my in-game decisions as a player.

Everything else is details.

• xausxaus Member Posts: 34

"What do you want/expect?"

I want nothing and expect nothing, just go with the flow baby.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by xaus

I want nothing and expect nothing, just go with the flow baby.

The zen of gaming ... I'm not quite there.