Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] MMORPG's You've Played

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Looking at the game list here at MMORPG.com, there are 598 listed. Some are not released yet, I am sure some small Indy MMOs are missing and some MMOs have closed their doors. For numbers sake, let's say 600 games (makes for easy percentage calculations).

I know many posters have played quite a few and with the F2P MMOs put out today, many are making it easier to play many MMOs.

Giving your best guesstimate, How many of the MMOs listed have you played or tried out?

For the purpose of the poll percentages:
If you've played a beta (closed or open) and the game has not released yet, count it.
If you've played an alpha and the game has not released yet, count it.
If the game has closed down, count it.
Since the actual number of games is not exact (and you've played over 540 MMOs) you get to say, "I've played 100%!"

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90

Voted 20%. Although I...as well as everyone else should put 100%...because if you've played 1 modern MMORPG, you've played them all IMO.

Wish someone would go off the beaten to death path.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Wow! Already 1 vote in the 50% range... That's a lot of gaming :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    You know, under your profile you can actually tick off all of the MMO's you have played. People can then view the MMO's you have played by viewing your profile (click that persons name).

Originally posted by madazz
    You know, under your profile you can actually tick off all of the MMO's you have played. People can then view the MMO's you have played by viewing your profile (click that persons name).
    This is true. And I have clicked on the ones I've played. It took quite a bit of time, but I was bored :) I have a feeling not everyone has.

Instead of clicking on 2,468,752 profiles here on MMORPG.com, I thought it might be easier to make a guesstimation poll :)

(I'm lazy... no... "energy efficient" by nature :) )

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Yeah but from experience, I doubt many have played over 20% of the games. And I highly lean towards calling total BS on someone who has played 50% or more. 
  • EiviEivi Member Posts: 96
    Cant imagine that anyone has tried any of the upper tiers. I mean, honestly, most of it is fluff payware crap.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Yes the upper ranges seemed unrealistic to me also.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

If there weren't any browser mmos listed, I'd prolly vote 90%. :P

Cheers.

Originally posted by TheJoda
    Yes the upper ranges seemed unrealistic to me also.
    I think the same thing. However, there are some posters who will try anything "for fun." I could easily see them playing as many F2P games as possible as they hop around.

I've downloaded and tried a few MMOs. I haven't been too impressed with most of them, but I still played them, even if only a little bit.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Bumer/goga
    If there weren't any browser mmos listed, I'd prolly vote 90%. :PCheers.
    Yea, that can be a crimp :) I think I've tried one... Travian? No, 2. Wartune, also.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I would guess I have played/tried about 200 MMOs....At least half of those though I probably didnt play for more than an hour......At this point I know what I like and dont like so some of them don't take much time to make a decision on......I've probably only played about 20 or so beyond level 20.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've played pretty much anything I'd have access to for free or any MMO I found worthy of spending money on.  I'll try any F2P or beta, but they usually don't last long with me.  F2P just loses it's luster too quick, and it because a nickel and dime affair.  As for P2P I've tried just about all of them, I've always liked the P2P model.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I wanted to say upwards of 80% but after looking at the MMORPG list I haven't heard of quite a few of them. I've bounced to every interesting sounding game, even some that weren't interesting sounding just to see (scarlet blade). But honestly I want to say 40% here, I have a feeling anyone over 60% can't be telling the truth, theres quite a few alphas that never got released, a lot of random games that one developer might be working on or has been for 15 years. Just seems really really unlikely.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

This made me go through my profile to tag MMOs, and i came to a total of 119 ( at least of those that are registered on MMORPG.com )

I probably played many more overall.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    You don't have to play them all to know them all. They're not all that different from one another, and most of them aren't worth playing anyway.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    That was interesting running through the list of games in the profile.  I ended at 82/598, so less than 20%.  That still feels like a lot of mmorpg's  :)

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I've been playing MMO's exclusively since November of 1999 (Asheron's Call) and from November 1999 to March 2011 (Quit WoW Cataclysm) I played a total of 5 MMO's.  AC, DAoC, Shadowbane, CoH and WoW.  Since then I've played probably 12-14 MMO's.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    ive been playing mmos for the last 15 years but im under 60 --- 10% !
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Nadia
    ive been playing mmos for the last 15 years but im under 60 --- 10% !

Same here... Well, actually 14 years, since EQ1 came out in march 1999, unless we're gonna count muds? Then I reach a few years further... :)

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I'm still in the 10% categoy.  I'm a little self-conscious about this given how many opinions I have about the theory of games. But I'm picky about what I actually install.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by maplestone

I'm still in the 10% categoy.  I'm a little self-conscious about this given how many opinions I have about the theory of games. But I'm picky about what I actually install.

There's nothing to be self-conscious about. You've played enough to know which title's you may like and which titles are more than likely not your thing. As for opinions on game theory, eh... if nothing else that just means there's a lot to discover yet, and that's a good thing. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by azzamasin
    I've been playing MMO's exclusively since November of 1999 (Asheron's Call) and from November 1999 to March 2011 (Quit WoW Cataclysm) I played a total of 5 MMO's.  AC, DAoC, Shadowbane, CoH and WoW.  Since then I've played probably 12-14 MMO's.
    Yea, that is close my own journey. Picked up EQ in 2001. Played for 3 years and looked at WoW and CoH in 2004. Played them both off and on until maybe 2012. Between that time I did try out Wizard101 and played that for a couple of years. I'd say in the past year or two, I have tried 10X as many MMOs as the previous 11 years.

I keep thinking that my first MMO was actually Meridian59. That would have been back in 1997 or 1998. I have a very vague memory of being on AOL and playing a game where there were lots of people in a fantasy/medieval setting standing around the starter area and talking in Ye Olde English. I left and never went back. I cannot recall if that was Meridian59 or not, but that name sounds so familiar to me...

Anyway, 2001-2012 I played 4 MMOs. I also spent money :) 2011-2013 I played probably 30-40 MMOs. I have spent very little money lately :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by maplestone
    I wouldn't feel self conscious at all :)

As it stands right now, 48.5% of those answering the poll are in the 10% category, myself included. Like Loktofeit pointed out, you have a good sampling to have a good idea what you enjoy and do not enjoy.

Quirhid made a good point that many of the MMOs out are quite similar. There are quite a few that if you played one, you may have played three or four more without ever signing in :)

The opinions of others on the massive selection of MMOs out there was one of the things that got me thinking, "How many MMOs have some of these people played?"

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I'd like to think that I spent nearly 3 hours on every single game on that list, but I don't play sports games so 90% is as close as I can get.
  • Algaroth_the_VhyleAlgaroth_the_Vhyle Member Posts: 7

Hmm, let's see...

DAoC, AoC, UO, MCO, MS, HG:L, EVE, and AA... I think that's all of them.

Looks like bottom tier vote from me as well.