Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about buying... questions.

ClawsysClawsys Member Posts: 109

I've got some questions that are un-answered before thinking of buying it, its either that or WoW, or returning to DAOC.

Either case, I like PvP, GvG, and alot of team work idea.
However:

1. Can you craft in GW?

2. How diverse are items? Seeing WoW is adding socketed items, and has crafting.

3. How big can a guild get? Are there upgrades to the guild? Can you purchase stuff for the guild place thingy?

4. How big are parties?

5. Are there alignement, like you can be good or evil and stuff like that?

I like how diverse class can be, from the multi-class thingy.

Comments

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

So? The only thing you know about guildwars is that you can "multiclass"? If you're not interested enough to read an FAQ (or the 2 other posts in this forum that ask 80% of the same questions that were asked yesterday)I wouldn't suggest buying the game.

• ClawsysClawsys Member Posts: 109

No, no I have read on GuildWars.com, the FAQ and more. However I do not remember seeing answers to the questions above. Neither did I see any mention about it. So should I assume theres not?

And I'm not gonna go through all the pots on this forum, I went through a few. So yeah, I asked a few SIMPLE questions, keep out the sarcastic stupidity if possible. If your incable of answering those few questions then please spare us your useless replies. - Bent

Thank you.

After abit more of digging, I think I found proof that tehres somekind of scrafting, dunno how it works but hey there is!

• AwareAware Member Posts: 60

1. No, not really all you can really do is add upgrades to your weapon(more energy, hp, ect.) or armor but not make it better in strength, but farther you go in the game the stronger and more materials you need for the armor. Also, you have to collect materials and bring them to a NPC to craft them for you. Although the materials are fairly easy to uptain.

2. There is actually quite a few items, but I haven't played WoW, or DAoC, but I can say there is alot less items in GW then SWG. Most of the items are weapons, armor, sheilds, upgrades, materials, ect.

3.I don't know if there is a limit but I have seen guilds 200+, upgrades to guilds.. No not really. Buying things for guilds, would be like a guild hall, or guild cape, and the guild itself.

4. Parties can range from 2-8, depending on which zone you are in.

5. No alignement.

Hope that answers you question.

Thanks, really helpful.

I got another question, PvP how does it work? I like the whole idea of guild versus guild, but I wonder, are there guild alliances? If so can you tag team PvP, meaning 2 Parties vs 2 Parties, like two allied guild parties vs two others? if not that would be very cool if there was.

• CaptainRPGCaptainRPG Member Posts: 794

Here's a post I made in another topic that will answer some of your question.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/11/loadthread/58545/loadforum/511/loadclass/175

You can craft in GW, but there isn't much to craft and you do not have to learn the skills to craft, it's all done by the NPC crafter in towns or you can trade components for equipment. You can make upgrade.

The parties are limited to 8 members and the guild can have nigh infinite amount of players. Guilds can only buy a guild hall.

There are no alignments, though, story mode forces you to be the hero of the story.

If you played NWN, then you'll know how this game plays.

As for Guild Battles, it's mostly one on one for teams. Teams can consist of 4 to 8 players and battle strategical meaning you'll be relying heavily on teamwork. You can only bring 8 moves to battle and you can't change moves so there is no skill involved. You are just playing your part to help the team win so choose your moves carefully. When in battle, whether you are in a 4 man team or an 8 man team, YOU ARE EITHER EXPLOITING YOUR CLASS SKILLS OR COUNTER OTHER CLASSES. THAT IS IT, END OF F**KING LIST. They are no Player vs. Player battles so don't build solo-PvP builds cause there is nothing to prove. Not to mention, the relationship between class is more "rock, paper, scissicors" so may already have an advantage over another class depending on what class you pick. (As I said, no skill involved.)

You'll find out when you join teams or guilds, you have to create characters, in which the leader of the guild is in need and not what you want. Basically, you have little say in what class you select for PvP. For the sake of argument, if the leader wants to do a spike build (Which is a made of mostly elementalist and one or two monks) and he/she needs you to be a monk while the rest of them play as elementalist then you have no choice, but to be a monk or get kick out of the team/guild. I know it's grim, but that's the real politics of Guild Wars. It requires a lot of cooperation and a lot of "Shut the hell up."

Lastly, make sure you have all the skills for each class. The more class skills you have under your belt, the more appealing you are to a guild or team when they referrence you. If you don't, you'll find yourself in competition arenas often. (They randomly group with a 4 man team.)

• millerhelp0millerhelp0 Member Posts: 223
    i see most of your questions have been answered but some of the stuff may change in the expansion that should be out before long

Originally posted by Clawsys

No, no I have read on GuildWars.com, the FAQ and more. However I do not remember seeing answers to the questions above. Neither did I see any mention about it. So should I assume theres not?
    And I'm not gonna go through all the pots on this forum, I went through a few. So yeah, I asked a few SIMPLE questions, keep out the sarcastic stupidity if possible. If your incable of answering those few questions then please spare us your useless replies. - Bent
    Thank you.

My post was not sarcastic at all.  I was completely serious.  I'm tried of people buying a game without knowing anything about it (expect what the retail box and Offical FAQ says) then playing it and finding out they hate it, then coming here and complaining about how much the game sucks and they want their money back.  There should be little question in your mind as to whether you'll enjoy a game.  Between the tons for reviews, walkthroughs and FAQs avialable it is now possible to know just about everything about a game before you buy it. 

The reason for my pissy respone to you, is because the questions you asked have been asked many many MANY times here and elsewhere.  Which tells me you haven't researched your possible purchase of Guild Wars.  Thus the reason I advised you not to buy the game.

If you want to find good sources of Guild Wars info just go to their main site, click community, then click "fansites forums" Amoung thooses sites your questions are already answered in FAQs or are sticked posts.  If you want reviews, there are also plenty of sites that will come up in a google search.

Now, since you played DAoC I will use that to help answer you questions....

1. Can you craft in GW? - Compared to DAoC no... the extent of crafting in guild wars is bring X+Y+Z to NPC Mr. Bob to get an item.  Little more then a collection quest.

2. How diverse are items? Seeing WoW is adding socketed items, and has crafting.  - Different looks is about it. The are some diablo style prefixs and such, and items you can add to weapons to change them... these are all listed here http://www.gwonline.net/page.php?p=125

3. How big can a guild get? Are there upgrades to the guild? Can you purchase stuff for the guild place thingy? A guild is just a chat group.  You can get a Guild hall, when you GvG verus someone of higher rank you you will fight them at your hall (home team advantage).  The current guild intergration is very weak, no valut, no voting, only 3 ranks. Leader, officer, normal.

4. How big are parties? 2-8 currently you will never fight with more then 7 allies at a time... soooo NO RAIDS.

I understand you like PvP and "GvG" but please don't let the term GvG trick you into thinking it's something it is not.  GvG is simply a 8v8 bedlam.  So it's not truely Guild verus Guild it's 8 people from 1 team verus 8 people from another.  So nothing like shadowbane or the like.  Their is no way to do guild alliances in game, YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE CUSTOM CHAT GROUPS. 

Guild Wars is a great game, but it's so different from everything else out there, it's easy for people to expect something and be disapointed.

Your Welcome

Originally posted by millerhelp0
    i see most of your questions have been answered but some of the stuff may change in the expansion that should be out before long

N**ga as if you had anything to contribute.

Originally posted by Bent

My post was not sarcastic at all.  I was completely serious.  I'm tried of people buying a game without knowing anything about it (expect what the retail box and Offical FAQ says) then playing it and finding out they hate it, then coming here and complaining about how much the game sucks and they want their money back.  There should be little question in your mind as to whether you'll enjoy a game.  Between the tons for reviews, walkthroughs and FAQs avialable it is now possible to know just about everything about a game before you buy it. 

The reason for my pissy respone to you, is because the questions you asked have been asked many many MANY times here and elsewhere.  Which tells me you haven't researched your possible purchase of Guild Wars.  Thus the reason I advised you not to buy the game.

If you want to find good sources of Guild Wars info just go to their main site, click community, then click "fansites forums" Amoung thooses sites your questions are already answered in FAQs or are sticked posts.  If you want reviews, there are also plenty of sites that will come up in a google search.

Now, since you played DAoC I will use that to help answer you questions....

1. Can you craft in GW? - Compared to DAoC no... the extent of crafting in guild wars is bring X+Y+Z to NPC Mr. Bob to get an item.  Little more then a collection quest.

2. How diverse are items? Seeing WoW is adding socketed items, and has crafting.  - Different looks is about it. The are some diablo style prefixs and such, and items you can add to weapons to change them... these are all listed here http://www.gwonline.net/page.php?p=125

3. How big can a guild get? Are there upgrades to the guild? Can you purchase stuff for the guild place thingy? A guild is just a chat group.  You can get a Guild hall, when you GvG verus someone of higher rank you you will fight them at your hall (home team advantage).  The current guild intergration is very weak, no valut, no voting, only 3 ranks. Leader, officer, normal.

4. How big are parties? 2-8 currently you will never fight with more then 7 allies at a time... soooo NO RAIDS.

I understand you like PvP and "GvG" but please don't let the term GvG trick you into thinking it's something it is not.  GvG is simply a 8v8 bedlam.  So it's not truely Guild verus Guild it's 8 people from 1 team verus 8 people from another.  So nothing like shadowbane or the like.  Their is no way to do guild alliances in game, YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE CUSTOM CHAT GROUPS. 

Guild Wars is a great game, but it's so different from everything else out there, it's easy for people to expect something and be disapointed.

Your Welcome

Bent you know you aren't suppose to punch in slap boxing right? image image

Thanks guys, very helpful comments.

I'm probably gonna buy it. I've played most of the games out there. All Blizzard Games, almost all mmorpg I could get my hands on. I haven't played GW, but I played WoW before, I did the beta. But my favorite RPG out there would have to be the Diablo serie, if they could make a mmorpg of diablo, they'd have me hooked lol.

Guild Wars is abit Diablo like, in a sense. Theres rarely games I don't like, they all appeal in some ways. I've been interesting in GW for quite a while now, and yeah the no monthly fee does appeal. At first I though "What? 20 levels? How lame." but actually its the opposite its not about levels its more about skills. I'm looking forward to play it.

It will only get better I think, new expansions and such. Plus, I'm looking for "different" so this might be it.

• millerhelp0millerhelp0 Member Posts: 223

Originally posted by CaptainRPG

N**ga as if you had anything to contribute.

as if that statement help him it did not help him with his questions at all

what i posted about the expanision was something that someone thinking about buying should know

Thanks guys, very helpful comments.I'm probably gonna buy it. I've played most of the games out there. All Blizzard Games, almost all mmorpg I could get my hands on. I haven't played GW, but I played WoW before, I did the beta. But my favorite RPG out there would have to be the Diablo serie, if they could make a mmorpg of diablo, they'd have me hooked lol.Guild Wars is abit Diablo like, in a sense. Theres rarely games I don't like, they all appeal in some ways. I've been interesting in GW for quite a while now, and yeah the no monthly fee does appeal. At first I though "What? 20 levels? How lame." but actually its the opposite its not about levels its more about skills. I'm looking forward to play it.It will only get better I think, new expansions and such. Plus, I'm looking for "different" so this might be it.

Glad to hear it... The best comparison of Guild Wars is likley Diablo II with much better intergrated PvP and guild support.

• AwareAware Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by CaptainRPG
    Originally posted by millerhelp0 i see most of your questions have been answered but some of the stuff may change in the expansion that should be out before long N**ga as if you had anything to contribute.

Thats just funny.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

I've got some questions that are un-answered before thinking of buying it, its either that or WoW, or returning to DAOC.
    Either case, I like PvP, GvG, and alot of team work idea.
    However:
    1. Can you craft in GW?  NO!
    2. How diverse are items? Seeing WoW is adding socketed items, and has crafting.  Extremely borring, not diverse.
    3. How big can a guild get? Are there upgrades to the guild? Can you purchase stuff for the guild place thingy?  YOu can purchse an instanced-island for your guild, yaaaay.
    4. How big are parties?  8 max
    5. Are there alignement, like you can be good or evil and stuff like that?  No.
    I like how diverse class can be, from the multi-class thingy.  Zero diversity, you have only a primary and secondary profession.

• ZeremiZeremi Member Posts: 386

1. Yes, all the armors must be crafted, the monsters wont drop them, and in some cities you can craft weapons and you can buy salvage kits, if you got weapon you can use the kit on it and get some craft materials.
    2. There are magic and normal items, and in the free expansion, sorrow furnace, the bosses can drop green items, they are good too, there are no sockets.
    3. The guild can be 80 or 100 i dont remember, there is guild cape (you can tke it off) and guild hall (only guild members and quests can go there) where you can battle other guild for rating, addin new member or quest cost 100 (thats not much) the quests can be in hall, talk in guild chat for 8hour.
    4. It all depends on the city, like first places can be only 2 big, then 4 and finally 8. There are henchmans too, they help you free, but every time you take money from monster, they took little bit from it, and some items, like greens, will not drop so usually if you got henchman in your party.
    5. No.
    I got the game, but i dont like it so much... worth to play but after the story is completed there is no things to do... every1 is 20lvl and got the same armors... MORE LVLS AND ARMORS!! and get that armor crafting thing out from the game. You should think before buy it, there is fully free games in internet (Flyff and Silkroad Online::::28::) this game isnt worth to buy but its good thats theres no monthly fee. From 1-10 i'll give 6...