Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What feature would EQN have to implement to make you go ‘OMG I can’t believe they did that’ ?

124»

Comments

• tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52
    would make for a funny skit
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Free roaming adventure oriented gameplay in a world that is at least somewhat dynamic (randomized dungeon population for example).

Simply stated: NO MORE RAILS.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Something that I cannot yet predict, yet wanted all along. 
  • AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130
    If there was always a sense of progression, through skill gain or AA gain even after cap, if they launch the game with these features at release.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Originally posted by TheJoda
    non instanced dungens are key.

Why would that make you go "omg i can't believe they don't that" there is a mmo that has no instanced dungeons now.

I expect EQN to have non instanced dungeons, it's not hard.

Probably because no one does this...

Come to think of it, the last game with real dungeons that did this was EQ or maybe Vanguard if you count half finished games.

Vanguard has  fully non instanced dungeons and it's not a half finished game. 

According to sigil employees, Vanguard launched half finished.

I know its in a better state today, but its still not the game it would have been given more time and the original team.

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Items that completely disappear when they run out of durability
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Mendel

The most amazing, and probably most unlikely change would be to implement an interesting, detailed system not based on hit points.   RPGs have been using hit points since the dawn of the genre, and nothing has come along that has taken hold.   Artificial HPs, and the related HP increase per level, are at the root of almost all mud-flation,  EQ1 and EQ2 have not been immune to this creeping rise in HPs.   A raid-equipped tank from the Kunark days simply doesn't compare to a generic solo-molo tank who is only online 3-4 hours a week.

I'd love to see a system for simulating the human body that doesn't rely on HPs.   I'd absolutely love it and be completely boggled by it; I just don't see EQNext delivering that.

I don't think re-tooling the hp system is how they're gonna change the face of the MMORPG genre..

I mean, isnt there the Fall Out series if you want to specifically target body parts? It just doesnt seem plausible in an MMORPG. And please dont go "EVERQUEST 1 WASNT PLAUSIBLE!"

HP bars have never been a problem to the majority of MMO players. I dont think they go "Damn, I have 100k health, thats too much, I'm quitting" In fact, the only complaint I've ever heard is "Sometimes the numbers are so inflated when they get into the high hundred thousands or a million" but that is just a number change to scale it down. People feel more important when enemies dont have 10 million hp like in WoW

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    what i would like to see, and something that would give me that OMG i can't believe they did that, would be to create a EQN client that was native to Linux, in addition to PS4 and Windoze that is image
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by PulsarMan
    Something that I cannot yet predict, yet wanted all along. 

Something that did not appear in any game before the turn of the century...but that I can totally enjoy.

Originally posted by fyerwall
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Voice recognition. Being able to cast magic missile by screaming MAGIC MISSILE into my microphone, much to the lament of my group members in voice chat.

Bob: "So when you combine the -"

Evil: "MAGIC MISSLE!!"

Bob: "...."

Bob: "As I was saying, just combin-"

Evil: "MAGIC MISSLE!!"

Tom: "Dude..."

Evil: "THUNDER BOLT!! THUNDERBOLT!!"

Bob: "What the fu-"

Evil: "MAGIC MISS-"

*Evil has been kicked from the server*

Bob: "Anyway, when you combine the reagents..."

• Where're the Cheetos?!"
    • "Where's the Mountain Dew?!" / "Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"
    • "I wanna cast... Magic Missile!"
    • "I'm attacking the darkness!"
    • "I am Galstaf, Sorcerer of Light!" / "Then how come you had to cast magic missile?"
    • "Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!"
    • "Okay, but if there's are any girls there, I wanna DO them!"
  • TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Mob spawns of varying difficulty (for each time they spawn) with chances of rare/champion type mobs in each camp. Every spawn should NOT be the same.  While we're at it, give the NPC enemies their own cities that mobs slowly expand from and take over zones if left unchecked (not just a series of mini-take overs a la GW2).

Add in the ability for enemies to get stronger when they kill adventurers. Part of the "death penalty" is that enemies level up and keep getting harder, to the point where a group or higher level allies might be needed to take them down.

Non-instances dungeons for pete's sake! EQ1 did this, and "trains" were fun for the whole family. Make it happen so I can help fellow adventurers.

Take away the "tagging" of mobs for once and for all. If you help kill something, you split the rewards. Some games have done this (GW2 if I recall) but let's make a world where people like to help each other, not fight over spawns.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Rhonen

"OMG I can't believe they DID That!"

Created a good game by NOT putting in ANY sort of PvP and making a 100% PvE game that is balanced and well thought out.  Oh.... another thing... have someone else develop it besides SOE.

Ratero.

This

PvE has been ruined because of PvP. The balancing of classes has destroyed challenging PvE. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

-- a real time penalty system for PvP

-- any code/ideas ported over from Star Wars Galaxies like dancing, music,etc.  I'm sure LA put in some clause that the code for such ideas can't be used in other games.

-- Dwarf Fortress fortress mode translated into a character view point system.   

-- A ported over menu system from the PS4 version(will not buy the game if it has a mouse button system like in DCU).

-- Ian Mckellan doing the intro movie voice over.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

For me it would be programming that made it so after I killed a mob a fist would appear out of nowhere and punch a puppy.

I would totally be all, "OMG I can't believe they did that!"

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• nevianderneviander Member Posts: 3

How about a sane PvP system?  A level cap, or scaling system that makes it hard, or impossible for one lvl 40 to come through and faceroll ten lowbies, and still make it possible to PK in town, but give massive penalties for it; something akin to account lock out for a couple hours and permanently losing a piece of gear or two, guards in that town not liking you for a long time after that, etc.  No needing permission to kill, just consequences.  There may be a game like that out there already, I dunno.

I like a good PvE environment, but adding the realism of having to prepare against RL folks is scary and rewarding. 

• OmgzOmgz Member Posts: 13
    a mixture between Wurmonline and Chivalry medieval Warfare. /drool
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Why would that make you go "omg i can't believe they don't that" there is a mmo that has no instanced dungeons now.

Come to think of it, the last game with real dungeons that did this was EQ or maybe Vanguard if you count half finished games.

I know its in a better state today, but its still not the game it would have been given more time and the original team.

Half finished is the wrong word, a mmo is never finished. Vanguard had another continent called Lothenland which was an ice and snow land. Also Kojan was bigger as well but they were to be in an expansion, that applies to every single mmo out there.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    An extended remorting/tiering system from MUDs allowing one to continually advance/class change/strengthen in power
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Making other end game content, besides raiding, viable paths of progression in all of its forms.  Currently, SOE is incapable or unwilling to make a non-raid centric game.

Planetside 2 says hi.

PS2 has no PvE, next.  On top of that, the game is optimized for raid sized gameplay.  There may be no loot progression, but good luck having much fun running around solo or in a small group.  It's all about the raid sized force running rampant on the map.

Half finished is the wrong word, a mmo is never finished. Vanguard had another continent called Lothenland which was an ice and snow land. Also Kojan was bigger as well but they were to be in an expansion, that applies to every single mmo out there.

The world was half filled, many of the systems they had weren't even close to complete.  Most of the cities were very much empty, with entire sections of building void of npcs.  They quite obviously even intended to have players able to climb to second levels of certain areas throughout the world but never put that ability into the game.

Theres nothing to argue about, I didn't call it half finished, they did.  I believe the actual quote something to the effect of "the game was 50-60% finished at launch."

Point being, Vanguard actually had really good open world dungeons, even if it wasn't a shining example of a game that was successful because of it.

Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by Rhonen

"OMG I can't believe they DID That!"

Created a good game by NOT putting in ANY sort of PvP and making a 100% PvE game that is balanced and well thought out.  Oh.... another thing... have someone else develop it besides SOE.

Ratero.

This

PvE has been ruined because of PvP. The balancing of classes has destroyed challenging PvE. 

Not my reasoning, exactly.

I'd just like a game designed around cooperation instead of competition (I know, how early 90s) once again. That includes "keeping up with the Joneses" status symbol competition, too.

But it's difficult to imagine any company giving up the easy money provided by the pvp audience. Or designing enough story on a purely pve basis. One is cheap, one is expensive and slow. Hmmm, hard call.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Making other end game content, besides raiding, viable paths of progression in all of its forms.  Currently, NO ONE is incapable or unwilling to make a non-raid centric game.

FTFY

No one can do it. They just copy WoW

• xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105

No leveling.

No skills requirements.

Learn as you start using objects or interact with the objects - discoverable skills (that would be CRAZY!)

Be whatever you wanted to be in the game.

If that is true, imagine the endless possibilities...

Originally posted by xxxxxx1

No leveling.

No skills requirements.

Learn as you start using objects or interact with the objects - discoverable skills (that would be CRAZY!)

Be whatever you wanted to be in the game.

If that is true, imagine the endless possibilities...

All I imagine is the limited progression possibilities like every other game that has adopted that system.