Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips for a newbie?

Looking for my next MMO.  I played during vanguard beta until I heard that SOE took over the publishing, never looked back.  I'm pretty much out of non-SOE MMO's for the moment and since vanguard is now F2P I've leveled a dark Knight to level 9.  Enjoying it so far. 

1. Is there any way to turn off the clouds/sky?  perhaps an .ini edit?  Not the volumetric clouds, but the actual static cloud map.  I game with triple monitors, and the game seems to scale well at 6060x1200, but the damn clouds spin at a different rate than the ground when at that resolution.  I run at max graphics, and the detail looks awesome, I enjoy how much farther it's come artistically since beta, and I like it, though it's dated. Fixing these damn clouds would go along way to help me immerse myself though. 

2.  Any place or channel people are chatting?  I've not heard one word spoken other than a single sell order.

3. Any place people hang out/socialize? or is that dead?

4. Any particular gathering/crafting skills useful?  What about diplomacy?  I've seen them during the tutorial, but I've only seen a couple of other players near (I'm in Khal) and the ones who are on seem rather too busy to talk.  Maybe just passing through.  IDK. 

I know it's a late start, but I'm still an embittered SWG vet who doesn't own anything with Sony on it.  Anywhere.  I'm willing to put that aside for a great game though... I've heard about player housing, but not seen any yet.  Is it instanced?

Comments

• lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53
    From what I've gathered... this game's dead.  I've moved on. 

• Originally posted by lordstarwolf
    From what I've gathered... this game's dead.  I've moved on. 

It was stillborn.

However, just like last Sunday. I am going to try playing again when I get up in the morning. Gonna start another character and start on the Isle of Dawn. Supposedly it gives you a better start as far as tutorials and such.

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

Wow what?

You proclaim the game dead after spending almost no time in it? Ouch.

Provided you aren't playing during some seriously weird hours, there are usually several hundred people playing. I'm not going to try and claim that the VG population is huge, but the game is far from dead.

• lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Dirkin

Wow what?

You proclaim the game dead after spending almost no time in it? Ouch.

Provided you aren't playing during some seriously weird hours, there are usually several hundred people playing. I'm not going to try and claim that the VG population is huge, but the game is far from dead.

I've put 16 hours into the game according to my steam account.  Plenty of time to figure out noone plays this game.  I asked in chat, in local, through tells, ect.  Look at the time between responses even on this forum.  Days.  This game, for newbies, is dead.  I'm sure at your max level there's plenty of folks around, but it's pretty lonely at the bottom.  I'd think 6-9 PM EST would be fairly standard playtime.  It's not so much the population, I occasionally see some flying mount overhead.. perhaps everyone uses teamspeak.. who knows?  

Fact is I found it a very lonely single player experience.  

• MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13

I don't think the game is totally dead for newbies.  If you can find a good guild, like Radiance for example, that has good numbers throughout the day, it works out good.

Many of the bigger guilds are more than happy to drop what they are doing and level with you.  I would HIGHLY suggest for newbies to find a big guild to be part of.  There are only a few, but they are pretty good.

I for one would love to encourage more people to play the game.  It's a pretty great game in respects to graphics, and game play.