Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NWN2

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

NWN2 is another game I've heard a lot about, but never tried.  Is it worth getting now?  Is there any online play still happening?

Thanks!

Comments

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    well the mod community is live and well they just released a baldursgate2 mod for nwn that replays it in glorious 3d
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

There are several RP persistent world servers that are very active and would say a strong community I guess (Baldur's Gate: Chronicles of the Sword Coast and Dalelands Beyond were two of the top RP servers).  They are always adding onto the world and the have DM events and people actually role playing.  I consider NWN2 and their persistent world community what Neverwinter should have been and is an example how Cryptic completely missed the mark in producing a D&D MMO for D&Ders.  Their servers are capped though at 50 last time I played on em and sometimes you have to constantly refresh to get in once a spot opens up.

I heard NWN1 has better capability and maybe a bigger community but it's a more dated game.  Regardless NWN persistent worlds are the true D&D MMOs.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The first game is not that good, but the expansions are great additions.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    It costs $9.99 on GoG. You can't go wrong at that price. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    So with the expansions, the single-player experience is pretty good?  How is character development?
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Its a good game,do I think its better than the original NWN?  no,I think it pales in comparison story wise.Which is the games bread and butter.

but I think its still enjoyable.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Single player was fun. The game is very linear though and you have to try to lose. I noticed that the game mechanics had many similarities to Dragon Age. A sort of evolution from NW1 to NW2 then DA. In regards to party management and flow.

Completing the game was satisfying, good story. I dislike how Bioware games ended progression at level 20 though. I didn't play any of the expansions, but the deal at GOG is hard to beat.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The Expansions are pretty good.  You can play a Red Wizard, and it starts at level 20.  Obsidian did the expansions.
    I would get Kaedrin's PrC pack that adds a whole slew of classes, feats, and spells.  Both adding new ones and modifying existing ones.  I really enjoyed his work.  You do need all the expansions though.
    Originally posted by tank017

Its a good game,do I think its better than the original NWN?  no,I think it pales in comparison story wise.Which is the games bread and butter.

but I think its still enjoyable.

Well NWN2 was rushed (typical Atari fucking shit up, thk god they lost the D&D digital license finally) and quite a bit of stuff was left out like how you cannot romance Neeshka and only the tree hugger is romanceable... ugh.

How is the party member AI?  For instance, are the healers self-sufficient, or do you have to constantly take control of them to get good healing?
    Originally posted by Gorwe

There was a mod(or still is?) called TonyK's AI that massively improved AI and let you control various AI related stuff.

It was packed together with Kaedrin(totally forgot this mod author's name!) and thar R bloke which rebalanced abilities/added new ones. If you get those mods, it's hard to beat NWN 2(I mean that lol!). On that frontier NWN 2 beats NWN 1 to a pulp(imo).

Is the base party AI, without mods, really bad?

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Tried it at release, was very, very buggy. WASD controls and the camera were very frustrating, especially in interiors, and I don't recall being terribly impressed with the games general AI. It felt in many ways dumbed down compared to NWN1.

I never finished the base game, but I heard a lot of good things about the expansions. I'd imagine the game is fixed up at this point, either through patches or the modding community.

Bigger fan of the Drakensang series personally. image

• MoskibearMoskibear Member UncommonPosts: 15
    the NWN singleplayer campaigns were pretty cool, but the real meat is logging into the online bit of the game and visit persistent worlds and roleplay in them, or get a group together with a DM.. I liked both parts, after many MMOs feeling a bit soulless and antisocial, NWN2 is certainly fun to get back into
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I have played it since release and love the online persistent worked and their tight knit roleplaying communities. I've been a member of Haven since at least 2007 and it's still going strong. Used to have more RP and politics and player run events but it's still fun. The single player campaigns are linear and what you'd expect for a DnD game really.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB