Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ1 resentment for EQOA and EQ2? EQN a candidate for hate?

2»

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Kuanshu
    Originally posted by Electro057
    Originally posted by asyndeton

Everyone I know that still plays EQ1, which is a good handful, doesn;t really care at all about EQ2, they have no such resentment and view it as a completely separate game which it is.

Maybe deep down in your psyche you have that resentment and are projecting it on to others... hehe.

I don't know, I personally enjoy both games from time to time, never got to play EQOA, which I regret so I dont have an opinion on it, but I do think plenty of people from the various EQ camps are excited or at least interested in EQN, I have seen very little negativity on it anyway.

Hmmmnnn, perhaps I am resentful because I never got to play the original game since I was 9 in 1999....You do have a good point here. And I only got to play the second, so I'm all jealous and Freudian and stuff! 

Who knows, though I'm glad the general consensus is that everyone is pretty much a happy camper and okay within the community. I guess that just leaves the question that the current EQ faithfuls will welcome the new stream of gamers in EQN, or if they'll see the horde of new players as enemies....Though seeing how friendly the lot in this thread are....Probably going to get along well.

Why was Everquest so memorable in the beginning?

It wasn't on easy mode like 100s of MMORPGs are since Vanilla WoW gave into the Generation Me

There weren't any vets, Bots, Hacks, l33t Sp43k, n00bs, gold farmers, griefers, PKers, etc...everyone was on the same learning curve

No maps, no guides, no quest helpers, no hand holding, etc...player community had to cooperate and communicate

You couldn't solo the whole game like you can so easily today

Grouping was necessary and even it wasn't on easy mode as it is these days with all the crowd control MOBs are trivialized and ridiculed and often die without any regard whatsoever

MOBs could aggro other MOBs or worse and you could end up with a TRAIN so players had to be careful and vigilant

No auctions houses so players had to gather in real time to sell, trade, and barter instead of posting their wares under other names whilst not even being logged in and purposely affecting the ingame economy as gold farming companies often do...

MMORPGs these days don't have the community atmosphere Everquest did early on

Its not that players who fondly remember the early days of Everquest want them to return as much as they are wanting adventure, community, danger, excitement, enthusiasm, etc...of the good ol days to return somehow, someway

Unfortunately we live in a somewhat advanced technological era with a bunch of entitled "I want it now" brats who are often more interested in a very mundance existence catering to the latest trends/fads without any orignial thoughts or feelings of their own...followers of convention, as the individual is rapidly becoming extinct

I would just like to point out that there was in fact leet speak in EQ. As far back as beta 2. A lot of EQ testers/players played UO, and leet speak was pretty rampant there.

As for the rest of the post, I find no faults.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

This thread is very misleading. I don't sense any resentment toward the players of EQ2 or EQOA. If anything those are our people, EQ people.

I think about half the posts are saying EQ is better like that's the question that's asked by the OP. If you separate the question into 2 parts, first question, do you have resentment against the players of those games I think you'll get a resounding no from the EQ community. If the second question is would you rather have a game that evolves from EQ or from EQ2 then that's going to be EQ.

I'll say that I love the people, but I want a game that comes from the original EQ. Specifically I don't want glowing signs showing the way to everything, I don't want to feel like I'm just charging in and winning easily as a solo player. I can't even imagine playing EQ2 with a group at low levels, it must be mind numbingly boring. I've heard the end game is good and if I can stay awake long enough to get there I might support EQ2 more. As it is I see nothing different between EQ2 and WoW.

Asdar

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

EQ nostalgia will exist in EQN as this is simply a no brainer

EQOA being the console version of EQ was entirely a Sony decision and it served its purpose...nough said

EQ2 imo prostrated itself in shame before WoW as most of the PvE content in WoW was developed by EQ raiding guilds and early on WoW was alot of fun (PvE and PvP); EQ2 didn't improve upon EQ...as this should be evident looking back at its success and why this thread even exists

Its mostly the underlying motivating factors game developers cater to more then the vision as these are companies where the bottomline is the almighty dollar, especially in capitalist societies and its going to get alot more interesting and amusing as time goes on...especially in this genre

EQN would be best geared for a niche audience