I've returned to DCUO a few days ago to see what was new. Its been a while since I've played, but I still remember the reasons I left:
- Rampant glitching
- Consistent FOTM builds
- Poor choices when changing powers (especially in the nature set)
- Dwindling populations on servers
Upon my return, instead of checking the FTP route they've created, I instead opted to subscribe and start from scratch.
I was pleased to see some new sets.
- The Earth Set
- The Light Set (green/yellow lantern)
- The Electricity set
- The quantum set (brand new set)
- and the new Shield weapon
As usual, I rolled on a the (mega) PvP server - because lets face it, its really the only way to play an action MMORPG like DCUO.
Immediately I remembered why I liked DCUO. The combat is unparalleled. I've gone back and forth with GW2 for months, and still, nothing holds a candle to the fluidity of movement, the unpredictability of the flow of combat, and the overall dexterity and skill it requires to be accomplished in DCUO's combat.
I rolled the new Quantum set, and was immediately impressed with how powerful I felt by level 6. Though I was a bit rusty, I often found myself able to defeat or survive for quite a while against other players who were nearly double my level.
I was also excited to see a lot of the changes they've made to the game.
- PvP ring war events happen in Gotham and Metropolis consistently
- Secret Hideouts were added as well as what appears to be crafting (R&D)
- New PvE and Story events have been added
- The US PC PVP server is really busy. The questing areas always have a good number of heroes and villains, so there is always that sense of danger.
Overall, after my 3 day return, I'm gladly going to play throughout the month, and maybe sub for a few more months depending on how many new powersets I decide to level.
Some issues I did find were:
- The interface is still truly designed for a 360 controller (on PC).
- I have been queued for Legends matches for hours and never received a pop. I guess legends isn't that popular anymore?
- Some maxed out tank builds just seem unrealistically tough to defeat. This has always been the case, but the new earth build seems to be exceptionally tough in comparison to the fire tanks.
- I did see some minor bugs when changing character costumes.. sometimes the visuals reset to wearing nothing at all.
- Level 30s will still troll level 6 areas. Not really an issue, just an annoyance.
- It seems the top level content is all based around Combat Rated gear now. Not really my thing, but I guess progression is progression.
- The missions are pretty much the same kill and collect type missions -- BUT the combat is much more fun then in every other game I've played, and it seems they've upped the difficulty on some mobs. I found more enemies blocking, block breaking, and doing combos then I remember.
If you haven't played this game, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.