Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lots of gamers make sick sarcastic jokes, but one guy is facing 8 years for his comment

Comments

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

nest time someone types DIAF or 'kill yourself' on any forum they need to be put in jail

the menace must be stopped!

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by tokini
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Apparently on the internet "lol jk" absolves you of any and all responsibility or consequences to statements made by you.

Im glad real life is not policed by the internet.

you really think someone should be put in jail for something they said, if (IF) there is no evidence that they would actually have ever done it?

whats next, political views get you put in jail? (oh wait we already did that...)

Who said there was NO evidence? His Dad who is the ONLY one quoted in the article?

One Sided Article

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Why is everyone so focused on what was or was not said rather then the fact it took a month for the authorities to do anything about it if it was considered a possible threat?
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Wulfkind
    I'm not familiar with this publication, do you have a more credible source? My google-fu has failed to locate information through any major news outlets. It seems somewhat suspicious that a story like this has not been published by any of the main stream news agencies?

Try: Justin Carter Austin TX

NYDaily News and Huffington..it takes a while for the blog-stealing to spread.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by jonrd463
    Originally posted by Phry
    It does seem kind of bizarre, but then we're talking about a country that allows 4 year olds to possess and use firearms, so perhaps common sense is is not applicable.image

Dafuq? LOL! So where are you from, so I can make blind, ignorant comments about your country?

Funniest thing I've seen yet. My country has its problems, but damned if I don't find the warped opinions about it by those who have probably never stepped foot in it entertaining as hell.

Well, seems like you forgot that America isn't really your country. It's a bunch of states under the same flag, much like the European Union. Don't be offended because someone insults America, because you are barely a part of it. You vote in your state. Follow the rules of your state and you shouldn't be offended if some other states have strange laws and stereotypes unless they apply to your state. Because you are not part of America. Your state is part of America.

So take pride in what you can stand for. Because I sure as hell cannot stand for the European Union in anyway. Just like you cannot stand for the whole of USA. So stand for your state instead. Because you are already giving out poor impressions of it to us "Blind, Ignorant" 'Europeans'.

Basically what I'm saying is, you are as much American as I am European. It's just a generalization. It's like saying "Hah! Americans aren't even bilingual! They are so stupid!" yet there are many states which have well above average lingual education.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
     No one is going to get 8 years for this ...
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I see a lot of people saying "he's a kid, it was a joke".  "this is stupid"

A few points

1. He is an adult (18 yrs old at the time).

2.  What if it wasn't a joke?

Point 2 is where the problem is.  You have an adult (not an 8-yr old kid) making an off-color comment about shooting someone.  Do you:

A.  Ignore it as a joke, and nothing happens.

B.  Ignore it as a joke, and he actually follows through.

That therein is where the problem is about "Zero Tolerance".

Sorry, I have no sympathy for this guy.  As an adult, he should use his head more.  4-months in jails + a possible 8-yr overall sentence is excessive, but it is his own fault for not thinking before he speaks (types).

Any I don't buy the whole "he doesn't read newspapers or watch TV" argument.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by GrumpyHobbit
    Why is everyone so focused on what was or was not said rather then the fact it took a month for the authorities to do anything about it if it was considered a possible threat?

Building Evidence, surveillance. Gathering internet conversations. people are not arrested and held on the word of one caller. They could bring him in for questioning. All this makes this article more and more one sided or 100% fake.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Giddian

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    "But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police."That right there is the whole crux of the problem. "Some lady" decided he was serious and called the authorities. In the atmosphere of League of Legends, this "some lady" should be charged for the waste of time, money, and resources she wasted. I applaud the petition and the poignant "First Amendment" rights reiteration.Next Stop: Thought Police.
    Thought Police? Really?This is a threat, Joke or Not it IS a terrorist threat.
    No. It is NOT a terrorist threat. I highly doubt, though I could be wrong, he is associated with any known or unknown terrorist organization. Maybe he is a splinter cell of 1. Who knows?

Was it a smart thing to post on Facebook? Of course not. It was very stupid. There is no law making stupidity against the law, unfortunately.

I will quote good old Benjamin Franklin here:
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Think on that for a bit.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by tokini
    Originally posted by jonrd463
    Originally posted by Phry
    It does seem kind of bizarre, but then we're talking about a country that allows 4 year olds to possess and use firearms, so perhaps common sense is is not applicable.image

Dafuq? LOL! So where are you from, so I can make blind, ignorant comments about your country?

Funniest thing I've seen yet. My country has its problems, but damned if I don't find the warped opinions about it by those who have probably never stepped foot in it entertaining as hell.

you ever get the feeling some people think the US is alternating regions of Klan rallies and gang warfare?

nope, just talking about a country that thinks firearms are appropriate for small children.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317512/Kentucky-boy-5-shoots-sister-Caroline-Starks-2-child-size-22-caliber-rifle-given-GIFT.html

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Some people don't even serve 8 years for murder. This a joke.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Originally posted by GrumpyHobbit

Building Evidence, surveillance. Gathering internet conversations. people are not arrested and held on the word of one caller. They could bring him in for questioning. All this makes this article more and more one sided or 100% fake.

Shame they didn't have the same dedication to finding the people behind 9/11.

This is exactly why i don't group with people or talk to people in mmo's anymore. Everything can be used against you now.
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

Has everyone forgot about the actress that is charge with sending ricin letters to Obama and others is only facing 5 years??

She did an actual domestic terrorist act and is facing a less charge then this stupid teen. Anyone thinking that this is a just moment for whoever needs there head examined.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Welcome to the police state that America is rapidly becoming.

No signature, I don't have a pen

He should be given community service thats it, 8 years in jail is a fucking joke. Next people will be jailed for the thoughts they have.

"But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police."

That right there is the whole crux of the problem. "Some lady" decided he was serious and called the authorities. In the atmosphere of League of Legends, this "some lady" should be charged for the waste of time, money, and resources she wasted. I applaud the petition and the poignant "First Amendment" rights reiteration.

Next Stop: Thought Police.

Thought Police? Really?

This is a threat, Joke or Not it IS a terrorist threat.

No. It is NOT a terrorist threat. I highly doubt, though I could be wrong, he is associated with any known or unknown terrorist organization. Maybe he is a splinter cell of 1. Who knows?

Was it a smart thing to post on Facebook? Of course not. It was very stupid. There is no law making stupidity against the law, unfortunately.

I will quote good old Benjamin Franklin here:
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Think on that for a bit.

Yes it is 100% a Terrorist threat. there is NO doubt about it. as for the rest? The only person quoted is the Father. His word is 100% correct? The police are the gestopo? Rush in and Not only take in But CHARGE him on the word of 1 caller? You are the type of person this article targets. This is entirely 1 sided. Do you Know who his associates are? do you Know this is the ONLY comment made? Do you Know ANYTHING other than what the DAD Said? Do you think the Dad is going to say ANYTHING that shows MAYBE His son is Wrong?  

Think about that.    Wait,,,, Is that a black Helicopter?????

Originally posted by nerovipus32
    He should be given community service thats it, 8 years in jail is a fucking joke. Next people will be jailed for the thoughts they have.

He COULD get IF Convicted. He hasn't been sentenced.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Most ppl here seem to think its ok to say whatever you want as long as its followed by a "LoL or J/K".

I disagree with that while i dont think the Guy was serious do i still think that statements like that have to be taken serious.

There are just too many sick people who do go to schools and kill kids and even if in this case it might not have been a real threat do i question the state of mind of a person Joking about stuff like that not too long after another school massacre.

I also dont think that he would just be locked away if he wouldnt have been deemed a risk to society maybe the (so called) joke was just what broke the camels back.

We do not know enough to really say why he is still locked up but one thing i think we can agree on IF he really would get send to prison for 8 years than its not only cause of what he said.

A lot seem to think that he should be able to say w/e without any consequences only because of the right pf free speech.

Let me ask you tho if you have a couple people talk about blowing up the airplane you are about to board than after realizing they were heard turn around smiling and saying LOL J/K would that be ok?

How about you are out with your wife/gf and a few people come to you telling you they will wait till no one is around and rape your wife/gf smile LoL J/K is that really ok for you?

Out on a playground with your kid a Guy telling you as soon as you dont pay enough attention he will abduct your kid...lol j/k...

Yes there is the right of free speech but everyone has the duty to think about what he is saying and be responsible about it.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

Most ppl here seem to think its ok to say whatever you want as long as its followed by a "LoL or J/K".

I disagree with that while i dont think the Guy was serious do i still think that statements like that have to be taken serious.

There are just too many sick people who do go to schools and kill kids and even if in this case it might not have been a real threat do i question the state of mind of a person Joking about stuff like that not too long after another school massacre.

I also dont think that he would just be locked away if he wouldnt have been deemed a risk to society maybe the (so called) joke was just what broke the camels back.

We do not know enough to really say why he is still locked up but one thing i think we can agree on IF he really would get send to prison for 8 years than its not only cause of what he said.

A lot seem to think that he should be able to say w/e without any consequences only because of the right pf free speech.

Let me ask you tho if you have a couple people talk about blowing up the airplane you are about to board than after realizing they were heard turn around smiling and saying LOL J/K would that be ok?

How about you are out with your wife/gf and a few people come to you telling you they will wait till no one is around and rape your wife/gf smile LoL J/K is that really ok for you?

Out on a playground with your kid a Guy telling you as soon as you dont pay enough attention he will abduct your kid...lol j/k...

Yes there is the right of free speech but everyone has the duty to think about what he is saying and be responsible about it.

No most people do not think it's ok to say whatever they like, but giving this guy a sentence of 8 years while a rapist serves 5 is  perverse.

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by Bjelar
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

That is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

We (the internet) should make some noise about this.

Yes because saying:

'Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.’

is a total logic and sane reply to someone calling you insane?

He should've been smart and ignored the person who called him insane.

I get it was meant to be a joke and that he wasn't really going to do all that stuff, but if we'd let every real killer walk free when he/she says 'lol' or 'jk'  we would be in a shit load of problems right now.. 

That's just splitting hairs. No sane person alive would disagree with you that it is "wrong" to joke around with stuff like that. It's the old "shouting 'fire' in a crowded theatre" argument. 

I'm not upset that everyone in the world think it's a bad idea to joke about shooting children, it obviously is. I am upset that someone risks 8 years in prison and his life in ruins over a stupid joke. Words. Expression. It happens in places you don't want to live. Stop it from happening where you live if you can.

I do agree 8 years is proper overkill, a fine or some community work would suit better in this case. But it sends out a clear message to everyone, this is not a matter to joke around with.

Just hope other kids will learn from this and realise that saying certain things, even meant as jokes, can have very big consequences. Talking murder is a serious matter and not to be treated lightly.                                                                      People say & spray way too much bs on the itnernet nowadays, bout time it ends.

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    What law was broken? Especially if the kid said he was just kidding around which would easily be provable via chat logs provided by Riot. It's a tasteless statement, but it's not illegal. Absolutely insane that they want to charge this kid with eight years for this. It saddens me that this type of harassment by authority is allowed to continue in The Land of The Free. 

Yeah not the land of the free anymore. It's more like an illusion of freedom. 

It's been that way for a long while now.  We haven't been "free" for a while and it has been longer than 9-11 and anything Bush did.    Our elected officials have slowly chipped away at our rights for decades now.  Remember 2 things:

1.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely

2.  When a politician rolls over @ night and says,"I love you" to their spouse, it's a LIE.

there are NO politicians in DC that give 2 cents about any of us peons.  We are nothing more to them than modern day slaves to control so they can live off our hard work.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    What law was broken? Especially if the kid said he was just kidding around which would easily be provable via chat logs provided by Riot. It's a tasteless statement, but it's not illegal. Absolutely insane that they want to charge this kid with eight years for this. It saddens me that this type of harassment by authority is allowed to continue in The Land of The Free. 

Agreed.. Because of an online tasteless joke in a violent fantasy game, this kid may start off his adult life with a scared record.. Sadly this happens all the time, where our judicial system creates criminals where none exist, just to justify their employment or power over others.. 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

"But a Canadian woman who saw the post looked up Carter’s Austin address, determined that it was near an elementary school, and called the police." That right there is the whole crux of the problem. "Some lady" decided he was serious and called the authorities. In the atmosphere of League of Legends, this "some lady" should be charged for the waste of time, money, and resources she wasted.I applaud the petition and the poignant "First Amendment" rights reiteration.Next Stop: Thought Police.
    Thought Police? Really?This is a threat, Joke or Not it IS a terrorist threat.
    No. It is NOT a terrorist threat. I highly doubt, though I could be wrong, he is associated with any known or unknown terrorist organization. Maybe he is a splinter cell of 1. Who knows?Was it a smart thing to post on Facebook? Of course not. It was very stupid. There is no law making stupidity against the law, unfortunately.I will quote good old Benjamin Franklin here:
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."Think on that for a bit.

Yes it is 100% a Terrorist threat. there is NO doubt about it. as for the rest? The only person quoted is the Father. His word is 100% correct? The police are the gestopo? Rush in and Not only take in But CHARGE him on the word of 1 caller? You are the type of person this article targets. This is entirely 1 sided. Do you Know who his associates are? do you Know this is the ONLY comment made? Do you Know ANYTHING other than what the DAD Said? Do you think the Dad is going to say ANYTHING that shows MAYBE His son is Wrong?  Think about that.    Wait,,,, Is that a black Helicopter?????
    No. It is NOT terrorist threat. It IS a joke. A bad joke, I agree, but a joke nonetheless. I could be wrong. Perhaps he DID intend to go shoot up a school and eat the beating hearts. I really do not know and am assuming on the side of humanity and innocence. Remember that fundamental precept of America Justice: Innocent until proven guilty. Or does that get thrown out the window so that you can feel safe inside your suburban home?

From what *I* have read, I have seen ONLY the ONE report from a Canadian woman. Perhaps you could link me to what you have read about that cites more than this? Since he did post it on Facebook, anyone and everyone could log on and see what he wrote. And like most internet users, they will not make the effort to research what transpired before (him being called "insane"), stopping as soon as they find what they agree with. That is shoddy work, especially for police.

Now, if he had told the Canadian woman that he was going to rape or kill her specifically, harm her specifically in any way, I am all for arresting him. Had he specified which school he was going to shoot up, by all means, keep an eye on him. Investigate him. See if he has motive and means to do so. Maybe they did, I do not know. Information is very lacking in the few reports I've seen.

The fact that you believe what he said, not what he did, warrants his incarceration makes me sad.

Again, context is missing or neglected.

<looks out window> Nope. No black helicopters spotted over here.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

This discussion has been closed.