Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lots of gamers make sick sarcastic jokes, but one guy is facing 8 years for his comment

wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Bullshit like this makes me angry at American laws.  Instead of putting him in Jail for 8 years and ruining his life for something he didnt even do other than write one irresponsible sentence why not just have him in probation and keep an eye on him for a while if they take it that seriously.  Or would that cost more than just caging him up? This is so stupid.
  • AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

I am torn.

On one hand, the rancid, rotten, vile community that is the League of Legends playerbase deserves nearly anything that happens to them.

On the other hand, the kid is entirely innocent and didn't commit any crime. I am skeptical about this story, and why no lawyers have got involved.

Perhaps it will only be afterwards, when he is released, that the lawyers will then sue the local government / institutions for putting him in jail for absolutely no reason.

But then again...he played League of Legends. Isn't that enough of a reason? :P

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

That is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

We (the internet) should make some noise about this.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    What law was broken? Especially if the kid said he was just kidding around which would easily be provable via chat logs provided by Riot. It's a tasteless statement, but it's not illegal. Absolutely insane that they want to charge this kid with eight years for this. It saddens me that this type of harassment by authority is allowed to continue in The Land of The Free. 
  • kueykuey Member UncommonPosts: 39
    While I applaud the concept of online accountability... this seems a little extreme and sets a dangerous precedent. Issues of baiting, hacking, trolling, etc. can now take on a whole new meaning. But then again without all the facts of the case I'd hesitate to be too judgmental about it. I mean, it's not like media sensationalize everything without all the facts right? All we're given is a statement taken out of context without any knowledge of the individual himself.
  • WulfkindWulfkind Member UncommonPosts: 12

Anti.... Terror.... Laws

Just about sums it up really. This poor boy can be held for as long as they please. Frankly, under traditional laws they would have needed to establish more than just the threat, such as motive and means to actually accomplish the threat. To be honest with you, I'm a little suspicious about the article itself, I don't think all of the facts have been presented and I will be doing some more research on the matter. But for now, it seems a little unjust, but that's the state of the US Justice System since the introduction of the anti-terror laws.

For now, I'll leave it at that.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    So talking stupid on the internet gets you 8 years in prison. The US really is the land of all possibilities, if it's possible for something like this to happen...
    I'm not familiar with this publication, do you have a more credible source? My google-fu has failed to locate information through any major news outlets. It seems somewhat suspicious that a story like this has not been published by any of the main stream news agencies?
  • ApocalypseSunriseApocalypseSunrise Member Posts: 80

If you think this is absurd as I do then please take a few minutes to sign this petition and help free this unjustly charged teen.

http://www.change.org/petitions/release-justin-carter-and-change-the-investigative-criteria-for-terroristic-threat-laws

Thanks

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by wolffin

Texas teenager who has been in jail since March faces an eight-year prison sentence because of a threatening joke he made while playing an online video game.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

Yeah this is total bullshyt.

Kids say STUPID shyt all the time. We did it in elementary school. We did it in middle and high school. Adults say stupid shyt still even. This is a kid who said something stupid over a game. They really need to let that kid go.

I really think people forgot what it was like to grow up and develop a thick skin. People will always say the most horrible things to each other. Its always been this way. Let the kid go. I think he learned his lesson for jeezus sakes.

That is damn ridiculous.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade
    So talking stupid on the internet gets you 8 years in prison. The US really is the land of all possibilities, if it's possible for something like this to happen...
    1. He seems to be being held pending trial not sentenced to 8 years in prison ( and that would be the maximum penalty presumably).
    2. From the information on-line it is unclear whether it was an in game chat or a facebook comment.
    3. There is no information about why he is being held pending trial.  What was the bail hearing outcome?  Was bail set too high for his parents to meet?
    4. Does he have a prior history of threatening or violent behavior ?
    5. The lack of mainstream reporting indicates this may in fact be a hoax.

Originally posted by ApocalypseSunrise

If you think this is absurd as I do then please take a few minutes to sign this petition and help free this unjustly charged teen.

http://www.change.org/petitions/release-justin-carter-and-change-the-investigative-criteria-for-terroristic-threat-laws

Thanks

Signed

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Ugh. Terrible dilemma. My "serves the little fucker right for being a douchewaffle" sense is colliding head on with my love and support for free speech.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    1. He seems to be being held pending trial not sentenced to 8 years in prison ( and that would be the maximum penalty presumably).
    2. From the information on-line it is unclear whether it was an in game chat or a facebook comment.
    3. There is no information about why he is being held pending trial.  What was the bail hearing outcome?  Was bail set too high for his parents to meet?

Yea, meant the maximum was 8 years, which is still retarded, since the maximum should be 0, for a stupid comment, without any evidence of it happening.

Hopefully that's the case.

Originally posted by jonrd463
    Ugh. Terrible dilemma. My "serves the little fucker right for being a douchewaffle" sense is colliding head on with my love and support for free speech.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.  

- Voltaire

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i have to agree with most here , while I hate the LOL and rude troll communities in video games with a passion. Putting this guy into jail and probably prison over something as stupid as this speaks volumes about how terrible our lawmakers have become. This also just continues to show everyone in this country that the judicial system is a complete joke made up of evil moronic fools that strive to put anyone in jail to better their own personal careers at the expense of others lives. The poor guy made a tasteless comment , it was a comment not even a real threat . Now if he goes to prison or even gets out after a plea deal for some asshat  state attorney he will have a felony on his record and absolutely no work history to go out there and try to fix his life over some stupid comment made as basically a teenage kid.

Scare the hell out of the poor kid , dont ruin the guys life so its hard as hell for him to be productive when he gets out and has some felony on his record limiting his jobs to minimal wage labor in food service or something similar. People should watch some of the weekend evening lockup series on msnbc and see how many of the guys in prison are in there for crap like this. You would be pretty surprised how easy it is to go to prison in most states in this country for just the things you say.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Yea, meant the maximum was 8 years, which is still retarded, since the maximum should be 0, for a stupid comment, without any evidence of it happening.

Hopefully that's the case.

You missed the big one there :

Does he have a prior history of threatening or violent behavior ?

I mean if it is true and not a hoax why did the Police in Austin Texas lock him up?

Crazy Texas Police or  perhaps this kid is known to the police and has a history of threatening and/or violent behavior?

Remember for him to be held for so long he would have to have been brought before a judge and considered by that judge to be a danger to society.  There would have been a defense attorney and argument from both sides but in the end the judge remanded him in custody pending trial.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Disatisfied9

I am torn.

On one hand, the rancid, rotten, vile community that is the League of Legends playerbase deserves nearly anything that happens to them.

On the other hand, the kid is entirely innocent and didn't commit any crime. I am skeptical about this story, and why no lawyers have got involved.

Perhaps it will only be afterwards, when he is released, that the lawyers will then sue the local government / institutions for putting him in jail for absolutely no reason.

But then again...he played League of Legends. Isn't that enough of a reason? :P

HAHAHA Couldn't agree more!! Well I suppose it's their way to show the next level of ignorance. I'm so proud of you Murica.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I guess authorities are stuck between " he made lots of comments about doing it why didn't anyone stop them" and it was just an innocent joke from a dumb kid.

We always want someone to step in and do something before someone does go in and shoot up a school but we want it to have nice pretty little signs that say they're doing the right thing. Real life however never works like that. Stepping in before it happens will always seem like some poor kids being picked on or authorities over reacting.

I'm not saying this kid really would shoot up a school but we all know it happens and every time someone says why didn't anyone stop this before it happens. I don't know this kid but it's a serious thing to joke about. Prison wont fix this but I also don't think they were totally wrong to want to do something about it.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

American, from Texas, likes to eat hearts, plays LoL . . .

Probably more truth than fiction in what he said.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt
    Originally posted by jonrd463

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.  

- Voltaire

Not actually a quote of Voltaire, though I second the motion

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I can believe its real, america's laws is stupit like that (for proof see the "free kate" page on facebook) 

but that said I cant find any other source and even the petitions owner facebook page is blank, no carter's as friends nno groups linked toward it, no comments on it  but she (if real) is semi-active posting other stuff in the past.

https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.murphy.carter

I mean if it is true and not a hoax why did the Police in Austin Texas lock him up?

I think you may have missed the overall point, people here are not claiming that it was a hoax as to what was said on facebook/LoL, my claim at least, is that the whole story is a hoax. Other than the UK's daily mail (which seems to have just syndicated the story) there is no mainstream outlet that has picked up the story and we're 4 months on from the supposed 'arrest'

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

I am just glad they took the report by the woman seriously. The threat of another school massacre is not something to be ignored. Thank God the authorities were able to respond quickly and had him in jail a month later, a slower response could have been fatal!!!

I mean, that is pathetic. If it was serious they should have responded immediately. the fact they responded a month later tells me it wasn't and so has been blown out of all proportion.

This discussion has been closed.