Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-release Character/Guild Creation Tools

PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260

In my opinion, one of the best hype tools EQ2 ever used was the pre-release character creation tool. This allowed you to download a program to create a character pre-release. You could see all the races, classes, and style/appearance options. I spent hours playing with that tool, changing each option over and over again until I perfected my toon.

Then on launch day, you just had to upload the character file. It was amazing hype for me. I would love to see that for EQNext.

I would also love to see a pre-release guild creation tool from the official site that allowed you to create, recruit, and add members pre-release. EQ has always been about building a community. This allows players to start building their communities even before release. SWTOR did this great.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

Comments

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

SWTOR had a pre release guild creation program that was really cool.

I am all for this!

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

I really did like the tool from EQ2, but i'm holding off getting my hopes up until August.  With their, 'we're breaking the model!' statements, I feel that anything we are familiar with might change.  With that said, for community building, i'm launching my own site to track my guild before launch.  A tool from SoE might make things a bit smoother, but i'm not too worried.

Admittedly, this statement is originally about the 'world' as an entity - but I do believe it sheds some light on their possible approach to well-known systems, Smedley said:

I also said in there that it will still be very familiar to you, but what I meant by that statement is that we're changing what an MMO is. MMO means something now, and it means the same thing to everybody because it's the same game. EverQuest, WoW, SWTOR all use the same core loot gameplay, which is kill stuff, get reward, get loot, level up. Very few games have broken out of that mold. One or two have

Imagine if you're a Druid and you need to literally seek out reagents for your spells or worship your deity in a glade somewhere off in the wilderness, but you don't know where.

With the second statement, it brings hope to me that more core mechanics are brought back to the game.  

For instance -  I remember making a guild early on in EQ.  They had you gather friends in a chat room and have GM's approve the name.  As archaic and tacky as that sounds, it strengthened the idea of what a guild represented.  Now-adays, the benefits of being in a guild in almost any MMO force you to be in one.  The single-person /guildcreate option, for me, kills the purpose.

I'm interested to see what their plans for EQN are on this topic.