Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Marvel Heroes: MMO-lite

Comments

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Tried it, wasn't much fun... I'm having more fun playing Sim City.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by xAPOCx

"I’ll tell you the truth, I’m still not entirely sure how to classify this game. It bills itself as an MMORPG, but I don’t think that’s an accurate label. While it certainly is online and there are certainly a multitude of people playing at any given moment, it feels far more like a solo game with some occasional cooperative situations. I also don’t consider this an RPG. While there is a definite story and each player character is technically a part of that story, with so many copies of the same characters running around the landscape, neither of those things ring true."

You just described almost every MMO released in the last what, 7 years!?!?!?!

This.

Also, don't know why your biggest gripe is about a feature that was never mentioned for the game? That is like me being upset that my car isn't a  jet.

I don't have a problem with the rest of your review. Just saying that one giant gripe you had seems unfair as the game never promised this feature to begin with.

Oh far as the entire MMORPG question I quote what Grakulen posted.

"Marvel Heroes combines the core game-play style of Action RPGs and MMOs "

To call this an MMORPG is taking this line of text and twisting it isn't it? "Action RPGS." AND "MMOs." Which last I looked meant Massive multiplayer online. Which this game is. Action RPG I think is where they kinda messed it up. The term RPG really has no fitting in this game. They should of come out and said "Hey its a Diablo style game and thats all."

Just cause you came in with pre-conception of what the Genre is doesn't mean that it failed to achieve what the game wanted.

I digress. Game seems fun and I think your review isn't far off but a little harsh.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

Lawl, I knew this game would get a shitty rating just from playing that god-awful beta. The most generic pile of shit I've ever played. 

I swear there was no communication between players, the talent tree was horrific, missions were just stupid, bosses were repititve and not challenging, etc.. etc. Game is just a quick cash in that will be forgotten in a matter of months.

• WontoonRooWontoonRoo Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by DarkVergil

Lawl, I knew this game would get a shitty rating just from playing that god-awful beta. The most generic pile of shit I've ever played. 

I swear there was no communication between players, the talent tree was horrific, missions were just stupid, bosses were repititve and not challenging, etc.. etc. Game is just a quick cash in that will be forgotten in a matter of months.

Despite it feeling barebones even for a Diablo-style game, I still enjoyed it. Sadly the issues you mentioned are rather glaring (they just recently added the ability to make guilds and there is an actual quest to beta test PvP). There is also very little compelling loot, and little customization options for gear (green items are useless except for donating/selling; why can't we upgrade them? You can upgrade blues. And you can customize costumes a bit). As far as content, we don't even get randomly arranged dungeons (seeing as the guy who helped create the Diablo games made this, you'd think he'd include that feature in there).

I really hope they iron out the issues, as I do see potential for the game to be something awesome.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    This game was just awful.  Marvel fans are going to have to wait while before they get a finely crafted game set in that universe i'm afraid.  This would most likely scare any investors away from a marvel game for a bit, though i hope that is not the case.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    It Diablo 3 an MMORPG? Neither is Marvel Heroes.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Surprising for someone from MMORPG to question the validity of a game being labelled an MMORPG.

• MoskibearMoskibear Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I played this game for half a week, I completed it and just didnt feel like playing any of the endgame, there was very little to keep me going. It was an enjoyable 17-20 hours though, but it just doesn't last.
  • dwturduckendwturducken Member CommonPosts: 14

The only thing I would disagree with you on is the cutscenes. The "2D cartoons" are called "motion comics." I don't particularly like them, but they're evidently quite a thing.

That said, I couldn't agree more. I kinda think you were generous on the Longevity, though.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

can't create your own original character

Is the biggest reason..?

Was this a pun on the "mmo-lite" title for the:

"5/10, looks bad, looks old"

type of paragraph through the review..?

Although it's kind of amusing that MMORPG uses regular users for their reviews..

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Grakulen

Originally posted by remyburke

this game is in no way shape or form an MMO. You guys will slap that tag on everything nowadays. Give me a break.

They slapped it on themselves. We didn't give it to them.

This is from their website's about the game section.

Game Overview

Marvel Heroes is a FREE-TO-PLAY action-packed massively multiplayer online game created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and Diablo 2. Set in the iconic Marvel Universe, Marvel Heroes combines the core game-play style of Action RPGs and MMOs with the expansive library of heroes from the Marvel Universe. In the game, players can collect and play as their favorite Marvel Superheroes (including Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider Man, Captain America and many others). Team up with friends and try to stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube in a story written by Marvel comic super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis

https://marvelheroes.com/about/game-info

They call themselves an mmo but not an mmorpg. They make the distinction even in the part you quoted.

Rockjaw was pretty specific in one of his posts about how they think of the game

Hey guys, my name's Stephen Reid from Gazillion Entertainment; we're making Marvel Heroes. I'm not a developer but I play one one on the internet - in other words I'm in charge of the Community and Customer Support teams. I like answering questions.

We call the game a 'massive online action RPG' both to acknowledge that we're primarily an ARPG but also not to upset people who have a very strict definition of what 'MMO' means. The majority of the game is played in 'Public Combat Zones' which are similar to traditional MMO zones, but are also randomized periodically (not while you're in them!) to give that random element which so many ARPGs have been successful with.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

"... it feels far more like a solo game with some occasional cooperative situations."

Sounds like every MMORPG out right now LOL

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by stayBlind

"... it feels far more like a solo game with some occasional cooperative situations."

Sounds like every MMORPG out right now LOL

I actually group more in Marvel Heroes than I do in Neverwinter.  I just leave the "Group in Instances" box checked in the options and it sets me in groups.  With this game, there is not "Holy Trinity" (Tank, Heals, DPS) like in most MMO's.  It has sorta tanks, sorta crowd control and lots of DPS.  I played Diablo III for about 2 months, but this I've played for longer already. I also agree it doesn't really fit into that "MMO" box that it keeps getting shoved into.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Its no more an MMO than torchlight 2 or Diablo 3 really beyond the common zones, especially if you turn off Auto grouping.

IMHO its fun for what it is but it does need work & its not an MMO.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I thought Marvel Heroes was an Action MMO. Didn't ever think of it as an MMORPG. Just my opinion though. 

I was in beta. The game to me is brainless goofing around. I can play for 10 minutes or a few hours. Depends on the situation. I don't have to dedicate any length of time. I can start or stop at any time and didn't mess anything up. 

I would never label the game as great. But to me most games are not great. I would say it can be a blast. I dislike sentinels enough that I have fun destroying them over and over.

• lyinggodlyinggod Member Posts: 1

With the death of CITY OF HEROES and the joke that is DC UNIVERSE ONLINE, all the was left of (arguably) worthwhile online superhero games was CHAMPIONS ONLINE.

Hoping that a decent online superhero game would come along from Marvel that would learn from the mistakes of DC Universe. MARVEL HEROES had my interest until I saw a video, interviewing the developers, prior to release. They said that this was going to be exactly what this review said it was. Zero "roleplay", almost no customization or custom heroes, just an multiplayer shooter in a cape, and they were excited(??) about this.

Lets face it, calling any MMORPG a roleplaying game is like comparing NEED FOR SPEED to actual car racing. No matter, how good the game is, its just doesnt even remotely compare to the real thing. What is actual roleplaying? Its impromptu theatre. It made up dialog on the fly between real people. It's pretending to be something your not. Its acting. There is no Role in MMORPG, just ROLL (of the virtual dice). There is only button pushing and playing a "power set". It doesnt matter if your playing the "fighter" power set or the "wizard" power set or the "Hulk" power set. Its all just button mashing and mission grinding. In a "real" MMORPG, there is at least the vague attempt to simulate a vague roleplay type interaction between marginally unique "characters" and the limited programmed responses of NPCs.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoying playing MMORPGs when I am not playing the real thing. However Marvel Heroes misses on every MMORPG level except button mashing. Apparently this is what the developers wanted.... Therefore I applaud them, good job... Successful failure achieved.

George Borton
    The Lyinggod

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Out of curiousity from those who played both, how does this game compare to Hellgate:London in terms of quality (were the systems well-thought out? etc.) ?
  • arescagearescage Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by lyinggod

With the death of CITY OF HEROES and the joke that is DC UNIVERSE ONLINE, all the was left of (arguably) worthwhile online superhero games was CHAMPIONS ONLINE.

Hoping that a decent online superhero game would come along from Marvel that would learn from the mistakes of DC Universe. MARVEL HEROES had my interest until I saw a video, interviewing the developers, prior to release. They said that this was going to be exactly what this review said it was. Zero "roleplay", almost no customization or custom heroes, just an multiplayer shooter in a cape, and they were excited(??) about this.

Lets face it, calling any MMORPG a roleplaying game is like comparing NEED FOR SPEED to actual car racing. No matter, how good the game is, its just doesnt even remotely compare to the real thing. What is actual roleplaying? Its impromptu theatre. It made up dialog on the fly between real people. It's pretending to be something your not. Its acting. There is no Role in MMORPG, just ROLL (of the virtual dice). There is only button pushing and playing a "power set". It doesnt matter if your playing the "fighter" power set or the "wizard" power set or the "Hulk" power set. Its all just button mashing and mission grinding. In a "real" MMORPG, there is at least the vague attempt to simulate a vague roleplay type interaction between marginally unique "characters" and the limited programmed responses of NPCs.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoying playing MMORPGs when I am not playing the real thing. However Marvel Heroes misses on every MMORPG level except button mashing. Apparently this is what the developers wanted.... Therefore I applaud them, good job... Successful failure achieved.

I don't think comic fans want to play cosplay. I know that I don't in a videogame. I want to play as the real heroes. There's plenty of open fantasy games for people who want to create their own identity, but it's a big waste to license an entire universe just to put the real stars in the background of their own world.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

The game has it's fair share of problems which is somewhat of a standard these days in all of the modern MMO titles at launch, that being said this review is sub par to say the least.

It was known from the start that this game will be some sort of multiplayer ARPG and not a full MMORPG, it was also known from the start that you wont be able to make your own hero and instead will be able to play some of the known and iconic heroes from the Marvel Universe, so that shouldn't even be considered as some sort of a surprise or fraud, and yet that was the reviewer's biggest gripe apparently.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

You still bitching about game, but I can't get past East Lower side, cause their optimization is ubercrap. Anyone has same experience? Only 1 bloody FPS, slideshow all the way. Their forums are full of those QQs, but it's end in - "your computer sux". Been able to play Crysis, Skyrim and many more high sys req game at 60+ fps, someone enlight me, is their graphic a way ahead Crytek?

Edit: I think it's fair review, but game is fun to consume it slowly. I don't play it much, only when I'm bored, have extra time or don't have/want to play anything else. Only now I'm stuck on ch4 until they fix fps drops.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I'd just like to ask... what does "MMO-lite" even mean these days, when the "regular" MMOs are "lite" compared to the old school ones? I guess that makes marvel a "canned air" MMO then....
  • KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

This review is spot on.  The biggest issue with this game is depth.  There isn't any.  Everything about this game is bland, boring, and shallow.  I was hoping to enjoy it, as I'm a Marvel fan, but this couldn't hold my attention for more than a couple of hours.  The only redeeming quality about the game is that it didn't cost me anything more than time to be completely underwhelmed by it.

That was actually the point of this game from the beginning. Gazillion was contracted to produce a game on the cheap that could capitalize on the popularity of the Marvel Universe, using the Diablo gameplay mechanics.  If you can get 100 million people worldwide to drop $10 or $20 to buy their favorite hero and costume, and casually play a game with low overhead expenses, you'll make a pretty nice profit, and they'll likely exceed those numbers.

Marvel Heroes is not about making a great online Marvel game, it's about using a license to quickly turn a big profit. 

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Very good game. What I dont understand is, why I cant play it on higher difficulty when main story is finished 1st time. This is from my point of view very sad. Now I am lvl 30 and all what I can do are just some dailies. But I like the game a lot.
  • TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

If they added some solid content and "end game" options post-storyline completion, the game would retain a lot more people.

If they added the ability to create your own hero (customize appearance), and "borrow" existing powersets from the hero's you have (found or purchased) with appropriate itemization, the game would be 1000% better.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

I still have to laugh at this game not only dose facebook have dozens of games tha tplay exacty like this but they tend to look better and offer more customization.

I find it sad that what was supposed to be a amazing game, turned out worse the average facebook games.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.