Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expect more browser games ? Unreal 3 port to Javascript

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

The Epic Citadel demo was awesome (at least on iOS) when it came out two years ago, but Epic has not done much of anything with it since then.

In the meantime, the Unity engine is going full force with many client and browser games using it. The best thing about Unity is that you can develop the game and deploy it to Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS and Android from the same source.

For cross-platform development it's a dream come true.

Check out City of Steam. Pretty nice graphics for a browser game. I believe they are releasing a client version soon for PC & OSX.

Also, you can see a list of games developed with Unity here: http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/game-list

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

WebGL makes it possible for browsers to get some use out of the video card, albeit with an API whose graphics capabilities are rather archaic.  That, in turn, makes it possible for browser-based games to have somewhat dated-looking 3D graphics, as opposed to being relegated to purely 2D or really primitive 3D graphics, as you're stuck with if you can't use the GPU for any computations.

Of course, that really only means that the graphical capabilities of browser-based games go from being completely crippled to only somewhat crippled.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

I'll grant that being browser-based can be a big deal if you want to play a game on a computer on which you can't or shouldn't install software.  But I'd think that's something of a niche use.

If you have ideas about playing browser-based games on cell phones or other such mobile devices, that's a bad idea.  Cell phones are starved enough for performance as it is without needing to be further crippled by the limitations of browser-based games.

• healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by greenreen

Checked out City of Steam earlier, not shabby. I'm out of the loop to not have heard of it previously.

Oh Quizzical, you always want the best out of browsers. We've gone through this, they will always be less beautiful than native applications but what they bring is something people desire, portability.

It always reminds me of the time at a job I was nerding out on lunch with my new co-workers and gaming came up. It was because they saw me playing Runescape in the browser. Then they started proselytizing WOW to me that I eventually tried. The best they could show me back then - at work - was the website and video sites (since installing it at work as a stand alone program would have raised eyebrows). My game could be played, in person anywhere and I was able to access it anytime I had a break and wanted to check in. Not being the best at something doesn't mean to me that it shouldn't exist or doesn't have other valuable traits. I'm not yet a device glutton but many are, maybe you aren't either to see no value in this stuff. If I found a use for portability back then (2005 ish), now with all the new devices, it's more important.

something you may fail to take into account is, its not all about the grafix I tried city of steam and was blown away by what can be accomplished. I never play games on my phone unless its pool pinball or some other pass time junk. The benefits to me of a browser game is near instant access, I don't want too download many or any hours worth of junk to jumble up my hard drive, so I was completely blown away by city of steam and the browser based reveloution