Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldschool Games - What Are You Playing?

emistzemistz Member Posts: 54

Hi gents,

A couple of days ago I dusted off my old copy of Planescape Torment, and I have been playing it non-stop for hours.  I gotta say, I don't know if it is nostalgia or what, but there is something really exciting about some of these old classics.

Is anyone playing oldschool games? I'd like to checkout some of the games that I might not have had the chance to play while growing up.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Been paying Wizardry 8 again. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by emistz

Hi gents,

A couple of days ago I dusted off my old copy of Planescape Torment, and I have been playing it non-stop for hours.  I gotta say, I don't know if it is nostalgia or what, but there is something really exciting about some of these old classics.

Is anyone playing oldschool games? I'd like to checkout some of the games that I might not have had the chance to play while growing up.

Wing Commander

Bought it on GoG after cleaning out the closet and finding the empty box for WC3.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

day of the tentacle

sam & max -hit the road (they have new games they turned into episodes and released but hit the road is a classic)

fable 1

jade empire

grim fandango

spiderman 2 the game (not a bad game to kill some time! big city to explore and lots to do. good ratings also)

max payne 1 and 2

Jedi knight 2 outcast

Jedi knight 3 jedi academy

prince of persia 1-3

assassins creed (all fo them)

secret of mana (snes - get an emulator. its worth playing ;p )

and if ur getting a snes emulator you can just go nuts haha

-chrono trigger

-final fantasy 3

-final fantasy IV (or 2 in japan)

-earthworm jim

-donkey kong country

-super mario world

-zelda link to the past

and thats everything i can think of right now ;D

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Vanguard saga of hero's  

It's only 5-6 years old but it's a very old play style. 

• tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52
    ultima series and the mmo
  • emistzemistz Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Wizardry looks legit.  I'm gonna get me a copy.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

Final Fantasy 7

Resident Evil 1

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Mario Kart 64

Goldeneye on the N64

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by emistz

Hi gents,

RTS-Commandos:Behind the enemy lines, 1998.

Great game enjoy it alot playing this oldie.

Most old PC games you can buy again on GOG.COM !!!

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Wizardry 8 is great. You won't be disappointed. It can be brutally difficult at times, however.

I've got so many new games I haven't been playing older ones. I have played King's Bounty: Crosswords, however. It's got a nice oldschool TBS vibe that comes as no surprise if you've played the original King's Bounty.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I think I've still got games in my garage that are on 5 1/4 disk format. I know there's many on 3 1/2. I'd love to revisit some of the later Might and Magic titles.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Currently playing Eschalon Book I and really enjoy it. Might try Wizardry8 too, looks interesting and somehow I missed it in the past. I liked Might&Magic6 a lot and it looks similiar. Somehow those old games got "it". Can't describe it, they are just more fun than newer games.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

All the Sierra series:

Leisure Suit Larry 1-5

Kings Quest 1-6

Hero's Quest 1-4

Space Quest 1-5

and many others...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Same here not super long ago. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I think I've still got games in my garage that are on 5 1/4 disk format. I know there's many on 3 1/2. I'd love to revisit some of the later Might and Magic titles.

One of those small studios should make a M&M6 HD. I'd love to revisit it, but one thing I absolutely can't stand nowadays are low resolutions. HD gaming spoiled me.

• chrisatronchrisatron Member Posts: 139

Just finished Tomb Raider '96 

Going to start Tomb Raider III soon ^^

In the mean time I might complete MGS2 again.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Skyrim was my answer for many many months.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I've just started planescape (never played it before) and also a bit of Baldur's Gate.

I keep trying to get into Daggerfall but I really hate how you have to use the mouse for combat (swing your sword with the mouse).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Atm I'm playing Icewind Dale again after so many years and it still is a great game, I also playing Star Control 2 from time to time.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    Masters of Magic
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

AC and AC2, granted this post is in the non MMO section but those are definitely old school now.

Every year I dust off Doom 2 on some system and bust through it all again to relive the good ole days when that was a whole new type of gaming. Did the same to Duke Nukem 3D a year or two ago. I used to do the same with Counter Strike, but I wasn't a big fan of the newest one that came out and that kind of made me get over the whole series pretty quickly.

I have fond memories of the Heroes of Might and Magic series, but I never go back and play them.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    I've been playing with my NES emulator. Working on;

Dragon Warrior 2
    Zelda
    Mega man 2
    Metroid
    Castlevania
    Final Fantasy 2
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Steam released this old gem from my arcade days Dragon's Lair http://store.steampowered.com/app/227380/?snr=1_7_15__13 and I could not resist.

Made me go on the hunt for Rastan, another of my old arcade favs.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• HappyFaceHappyFace Member UncommonPosts: 27

Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, Icewind Dale 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and Arcanium ... 

Been playing those off and on. 

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power....."

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Sovrath
    I've just started planescape (never played it before) and also a bit of Baldur's Gate.I keep trying to get into Daggerfall but I really hate how you have to use the mouse for combat (swing your sword with the mouse).
    That is what is keeping me from getting into Daggerfall, too. It is strange because I have a blast in Arx Fatalis where a player uses their mouse to create the runes to cast magic spells.

OT:
    Right now, I'm not doing much gaming as I am in the middle of building a new PC. Should have my case fans this week and all will be good to go :) I am just playing short Board Games right now like Rail Empires: Iron Dragon or Catan: The Computer Game. Puerto Rico and San Juan are other good computerized board games I start up quite a bit lately.

I went on a buying spree earlier this month at GOG.com (Good Old Games) and have a good list of games that I will be getting into shortly. I even picked up Wizardry 6,7,8 from them, thanks to Loktofeit :)

I got Planescape: Torment when it released way back when and never got into it. Never made it out of the starting City :) This is another purchase I made at GOG and look forward to getting into.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Not oldschool but feels and plays like it, Terraria.