Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I thought they stopped culling in this game.

SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
I really like the game and heard an update in march ended culling. Was that only in WvWvW?......because even with LOD on Ultra (highest setting) I can still walk into an area and see entire groups of players just pop up around me. Seem like a pain in PvP...it's bad enough just on an immersion level. Its seemingly empty in places then BAM.....10-20 players pop up all around me. Kind of shameful if you ask me. I know they did it initially to get better frame rates but I read they did away with the process. It really is ridiculous. No other game I've ever played is was this bad. Anyone know any tricks to fix it, like some code I can manually add in game files or is it server side?

Comments

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Culling has been completely removed for WvWvW but still persists in PvE. ArenaNet is aware of it and the system to remove culling in PvE is still in testing.
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by indojabijin
    Culling has been completely removed for WvWvW but still persists in PvE. ArenaNet is aware of it and the system to remove culling in PvE is still in testing.

Thanks for your quick reply. That is good news because right now that is the only thing that is..well...kind of ruining the game for me. I looked in the forums but must have overlooked a sticky or just couldn't find the info you helpfully provided. Thanks again. Let's hope it's fixed soon.

I get about 35-60 maxed but I'd be willing to tweak and lower stuff if they remove culling from the PvE. Might even buy a new GPU if I need to..lol.

• JebbJebb Member Posts: 19
    Yeap, the culling in PvE is a bit ridiculous.

"Jesus promised to rid the world of all wicked people. Odin promised to rid the world of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants."

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    I really like the game and heard an update in march ended culling. Was that only in WvWvW?......because even with LOD on Ultra (highest setting) I can still walk into an area and see entire groups of players just pop up around me. Seem like a pain in PvP...it's bad enough just on an immersion level. Its seemingly empty in places then BAM.....10-20 players pop up all around me. Kind of shameful if you ask me. I know they did it initially to get better frame rates but I read they did away with the process. It really is ridiculous. No other game I've ever played is was this bad. Anyone know any tricks to fix it, like some code I can manually add in game files or is it server side?

so this is what the famous (or rather infamous) culling means..... Yeah i experience that in PvE.

I play all my mmos on ultra setting and i get fps ranging from 25 to 50 (with an average of 35-45fps) in most mmo i play. I already need to upgrade my computer but until i get the money to upgrade i will swallow the low fps drops with red wine. If i have to play with crappy low graphic settings just to keep high fps i dont play at all.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by SoulStain

so this is what the famous (or rather infamous) culling means..... Yeah i experience that in PvE.

I play all my mmos on ultra setting and i get fps ranging from 25 to 50 (with an average of 35-45fps) in most mmo i play. I already need to upgrade my computer but until i get the money to upgrade i will swallow the low fps drops with red wine. If i have to play with crappy low graphic settings just to keep high fps i dont play at all.

Mines a bit old too but still keeps up fairly well with the newer games. I'd like to upgrade but think I can still get another good year out of her. I feel the same way..settings on high or ultra and tweaked as I see fit  with fps in the 30-60 range or otherwise I don't bother playing the game. I'm not necessarily a graphics snob as I still play WOW and old rpgs like Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate , Icewind Dale series and Wing Commander 3+ but if they do have the settings to accommodate then I figure I should be able to play them at the highest level possible according to the time in which they were created. If that made any sense. Lol.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    There are many different types of culling, and a game that doesn't use any of them will be basically unplayable on most hardware.  The much-ballyhooed "end of culling" removed the server-side number of enemy players-based culling, but left all others intact.