Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still no Greenlight...

2»

Comments

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52
    I wish the no counted i logged in Steam just to vote no to this game.

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by deathshroud
    Originally posted by AlmightyGod

I've been direct downloading MO for like three days now (honestly).  I'm glad I saw this thread, and I will be wary if it ever finishes downloading and I get in.

I'm curious about the sandbox element, but it sounds like I'll just want to leave once I'm on.  Is there anyone playing this game in the forums that enjoys it or can talk about some of the good points?  The videos look pretty decent.  I don't mind PvP, even if it is harsh through my first few days of the game.

i played the game for 3 years and whilst it has its issues i certainly enjoyed my time playing for the most part but the game is rather unfinished and buggy. it offers a different experience to most mmos and promises alot but in reality its quite different.

still i urge everyone to at least give it a try, you might dislike it or you might not but at least you will know for sure.

the sandbox elements arent all that bad, some poorly implemented whilst others very well done however most systems have their issues once you know them inside and out.

now im not 100% sure on what you would call sandbox but heres a few of the things that spring to mind

armor shield weapon crafting, there was like over 1 million weapon crafting combinations or somethnig ridiculous

cooking is very indepth, whislt everyone needs to eat to be effective ingame i think only a few actual recipies were needed, but you can go into great depth with it if you choose.

alchemy is confusing, but you can essentially mix anything to attempt to make a potion and the combinations are unbelievably large, some guilds know amazing potions whilst others dont depends on what you discover.

you have skills like butchery, gathering, taming, creature control, cooking, alchemy, lockpicking, thievery, crafting, and also skills to build things like houses, catapults etc.. i think theres like over 1000 skills in this game its ridiculous and seems over done imo many could have been grouped together.

that's crafting, what building elements are there?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I finished the download and played for about an hour last night.  No one pk'd me and everyone was pretty helpful.  Yet, some commented that it was odd there weren't a lot of griefers running around.  In agreement with the previous post, Mortal Online seems to have some sandbox elements in terms of crafting, open-world, non-linearity, etc.  The housing seems to be a buy and place sort of thing and not a construct it sort of thing.

It had a Darkfall sort of feel.  Also, the client didn't crash, and I didn't encounter any odd bugs.  The game does feel a little dated, but I had a good time.

I did like how little hand-holding there was in the game.  You had to remember how to get to places you went and read signs.  I'm surprised about all the trash talk I've heard in this thread.  Maybe I just had a very uncommon experience.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Toferio
    Originally posted by Numb69 [mod edit]
    Valve are in process of remaking Greenlight, it may very well make it through the new one whenever that one is ready.

Why? The game has had years to turn into a decent game. Putting it on Steam isn't going to fix anything, it's just going to hang around even longer before it finally dies.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Valve are in process of remaking Greenlight, it may very well make it through the new one whenever that one is ready.

Why? The game has had years to turn into a decent game. Putting it on Steam isn't going to fix anything, it's just going to hang around even longer before it finally dies.

Why not?

I don't have any attachments to this game.  I do like the idea of offering mmorpg's that break the mold of the usual fare.  As a mmorpg community, shouldn't we support independent studios?  This forum is frolicking with complaints about new offerings like Neverwinter that offer little freedom, mystery, and creativity.  This game has tried to emulate something different than point-click, quest, quest, loot, etc.

Even if I never play it again, why not support it so people can try it and have a taste of other dynamics available in their mmorpg bouquet.  And, a game that is three years old isn't ancient (published June 2010).

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Toferio Originally posted by Numb69 [mod edit]
    Why not?

I don't have any attachments to this game.  I do like the idea of offering mmorpg's that break the mold of the usual fare.  As a mmorpg community, shouldn't we support independent studios?  This forum is frolicking with complaints about new offerings like Neverwinter that offer little freedom, mystery, and creativity.  This game has tried to emulate something different than point-click, quest, quest, loot, etc.

Even if I never play it again, why not support it so people can try it and have a taste of other dynamics available in their mmorpg bouquet.  And, a game that is three years old isn't ancient (published June 2010).

That's just it. Games getting voted into Greenlight happens by players voting, not Valve. The players keep on not voting the game in. I think it's with good reason. It was a cool idea but a bad game and it's not going to improve.

The game had three years of being "live" to improve and five or more years prior to that for initial development. The game is eight years old, possibly more. If it hasn't turned into a good game by now, it's not going to.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Why not?

That's just it. Games getting voted into Greenlight happens by players voting, not Valve. The players keep on not voting the game in. I think it's with good reason. It was a cool idea but a bad game and it's not going to improve.

The game had three years of being "live" to improve and five or more years prior to that for initial development. The game is eight years old, possibly more. If it hasn't turned into a good game by now, it's not going to.

no votes dont count as a vote, just so ya know. they dont even count no votes.

the housing system is sort of sandbox but not free to place, essentially in towns you can buy house deeds, the deed allowd you to place that type of house or house upgrade, you trhen must take the deed and find a house spot, house spots are pre determined locations all over nave that a player can use a house deed on, once you use the house deed on the spot, tyou then need to construct the house. houses require stone metal and wood in varying amounts, you can use any type of each and depending on what you use to build it it will effect its hit points. Once a house is built oyu can use it as storage, place some crafting tables within in it for a sort of wilderness crafting area and log out safely within it. you can also buy upgrades that expand your house. Houses can also be destroyed with siege weaponry but it takes quite a lot of effort to bring a house down so it doesnt happen pointlessly it is a planned and aagenda driven affair.

with the first territory control patch they added free to place towers that are used to control territory on the map, this free to place design is supposedly getting implemented into the housing system so houses will eventually be able to be placed where ever you like

have to note though i havent played the game in about a year and many of the people on this forum posting havent played it in a much longer time frame some not since beta but they still post their opinions

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Deathshroud,

That description made me associate Mortal Online even more with the original Darkfall.  Housing was a little different, but they did the clan keeps/fortresses very similar to the housing and towers.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I wouldn't read too much into it.  This is the same process that "greenlit" Surgeon Simulator and Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures....

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    I wouldn't read too much into it.  This is the same process that "greenlit" Surgeon Simulator and Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures....

Your point? Gamers obviously want to play those games, thus the greenlight. Surgeon Simulator is pretty well received game and is decent fun. As for AVGN game, that's called having a big fanbase. 

Originally posted by Phaserlight I wouldn't read too much into it.  This is the same process that "greenlit" Surgeon Simulator and Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures....
    Your point? Gamers obviously want to play those games, thus the greenlight. Surgeon Simulator is pretty well received game and is decent fun. As for AVGN game, that's called having a big fanbase. 

Which is exactly the point. Games that get Greenlit are games that Steam players want to see. Mortal Online is not one of those games. I mean, I've posted my opinion of the game, but my opinion doesn't matter one teensy, tiny bit. It's the opinion of the people who vote on Steam that matters, and they've voted for the things they want to see.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    i dont think it has anything to do with number of votes why mo isnt on steam, it was in the top 25 or something like that games voted for on greenlight but yet games outside of the top 25 got onto steam before mo did. I think its most likely due to svs practices and the state of the game.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

My intuition is that the average MMO gamer doesn't care about the same things the average Steam member cares about.  Hence, I'd question the usefulness of Steam greenlight as a criteria to judge the value of a MMORPG.  I'd probably never play either of the video games I just mentioned for more than a minute or two; Mortal Online I would have to devote at least 6 hours to if I were to check it out.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance