Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Beta Three in FFXIV

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that the PS3 crowd has finally joined Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn's closed beta, it's time to offer a few beta tidbits about what's new and different. Check out our thoughts before lending your voice to the conversation in the comments.

The start of Beta 3 coincides with a partial lift of the NDA.  It is now okay to post images and talk about the things we liked and didn’t like about the game.  It’s not okay to post video or audio from the game - I suspect this is tied to spoilers as much as it is new stuff coming along.  I will endeavor to overload you guys with new imagery in future posts, but in this post I wanted to share (in words) some of the more exciting things happening in Beta 3.

Read more of Ryahl Smith's Final Fantasy XIV: Beta Three in FFXIV.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

you want to see the issue with ftp?

log into dragons prophet then log into ffxiv arr Its on a whole diffreant level ffxiv arr is i mean

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Yoshi is committed to releasing a subscription FF14:ARR and I respect the decision, I just wonder if that market segment has come and gone?

Nope I'm still here.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Raxeon

log into dragons prophet then log into ffxiv arr Its on a whole diffreant level ffxiv arr is i mean

You might as well compare a giant to an apple. Squaresoft has always been known for huge quality and Dragon's prophet is made by a not so known Taiwense dev.

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101
    Have been playing it and I love it.  I was playing GW2 as well...even when beta weekends are over I can't bring myself to log back into GW2.  The game just seems so shallow to me now.  This helped me realize that there really isn't anything better than a good 'ole traditional MMORPG.  Can't wait for launch!!!

Join us dtguilds.com
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Yoshi is committed to releasing a subscription FF14:ARR and I respect the decision, I just wonder if that market segment has come and gone?

Nope I'm still here.

Same image

No signature, I don't have a pen

Originally posted by faiyo
    Originally posted by Raxeon

You might as well compare a giant to an apple. Squaresoft has always been known for huge quality and Dragon's prophet is made by a not so known Taiwense dev.

well ye ai know but i just dont find very good quality in ftp mmos gw2 is decent but boring

• moomoo1234moomoo1234 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    No thief/assassin/ninja class. Lame game is lame.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

A sub game is worth paying for if the game is worth paying to play.

Thus far, from my experiences, FFXIV is going to be worth the sub cost + box price.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by moomoo1234
    No thief/assassin/ninja class. Lame game is lame.

thief and ninja will be added later on

• netosampaionetosampaio Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Really looking forward to this game and please remain a subscription based game, its terrible to see all those pay to win games out there
    im sure sam will too
  • dalingrindalingrin Member Posts: 14

I have no problem with a subscription, especially given how much fun I've had in the beta.

I do think GW2 style monetary model is pretty great but I want to play a more traditional game like FFXIV bad enough that I will gladly pay a subscription.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Between JP and NA they setup I think 25 new servers. Then this last test they added 10 more legacy servers with all the existing 1.0 characters. Now granted, I don't think they are using any instance copies for the cities or the overland zones but on Goblin I was seeing a huge number of people running around. I mean people everywhere, lots of activity. and the game has 3 regions you can start so everyone is not concentrated in a single place. and this is not the open beta yet.

Think about that for a minute. 35 servers to accommodate a closed beta? Now that's not to say that everyone will stick around until release but as far as betas go, this is gigantic so far.

All die, so die well.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

As for the first point, I think anyone who tried or played 1.0 is going to try again in open beta.

Why wouldn't you?

Sure, they won't turn everyone back to their favor, but hopefully the "big" gaming publications are paying attention to FFXIV too - they certainly got a lot of press in E3.

Once ARR is on the shelves for PC and PS3, lots of people probably won't realize it's a remake.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I was skeptical when I dl'd the beta but ya, this one's a winner.

And to me the sub is preferable to ftp. Makes people less likely to float rpg to rpg.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Awesome game, I hope this ffxiv arr stay p2p too keep the garbage out.
  • GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I enjoy P2P games more anyways, and if I play a F2P game that has a subscription option, I normally subscribe. I enjoy being able to pay one flat (very small) fee for ALL the features, as opposed to paying waaaay more to unlock the same stuff.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Ill say it in Japanese.

The game is super happy fun time. It will bring many greatness and honor for my life.

• FirnwindFirnwind Member UncommonPosts: 25

Yoshi-P made such a strong explanation for P2P that I can only respect it. F2P makes a lot of money from newcomers but in the long run the focus lies in getting these money spikes from the newcomers and not making a good experience for those who want long term commitment. 

And I can really respect this even if means that FFXIV may be even more "niche" as it would be anyway.

• LookinojiLookinoji Member CommonPosts: 27
    I hope that since now it's going to be released on PS3 and PS4, there will be a TV ad marketing campaign. Word of mouth and small ads just won't do it justice.
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

Nope I'm still here.

Same image

Count me in as well!

I can't wait for this FTP/B2P trend to marginalize itself again and dev's to hop back on the train of producing quality, deep MMORPG's with a subscription model.  FF XIV: ARR is definitely on my radar.

• roflcaustroflcaust Member Posts: 18

I'm not a FF fanboy in anyway and I've greatly enjoyed the beta so far.

It's a WoW-based theme-park ride. But a good one: the abilities look cool; combat is crisp; crafting is involved; exploration is there; and much more.

However, my biggest fear is that this game is headed to a SWTOR-type of scenario where the experience from 1-50 is interesting and engaging but once you hit the max level, you're left with the question no one wants to ask themselves: "What else is there left to do?"

If the end-game dungeons/raids aren't challenging enough, the game will flounder. Same with the gear progression system; a big reason a lot of players fled GW2 the moment they hit the max level as they realized that there was no gear treadmill. At least the crafting looks involved enough to keep you busy but I'm not going to pay $14.99/mo just to play a carpenter simulator.

Last but not least, PvP needs to provide incentives to keep the player engaged. If they tack on some arena just as a second-thought to let players "test their skills," that'll be another area of the game that'll seriously hamper the game's longevity.

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten to Level 16 with my Lancer and I've loved every minute of it so far. But Yoshida (the director) made it clear that 1-50 is supposed to be easy and straight-forward as to not disengage and scare-off newcomers. If the difficulty curve is implemented carelessly and there's not enough to do at end-game, this game will be SWTOR 2.0.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Nope I'm still here.

Same image

Count me in as well!

I can't wait for this FTP/B2P trend to marginalize itself again and dev's to hop back on the train of producing quality, deep MMORPG's with a subscription model.  FF XIV: ARR is definitely on my radar.

yes, the fact that FFXIV:ARR has a sub model is actually one of the major reasons why I am leaning towards it. 

• Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Thank god for a Suscribtion based MMO. On top of the awsome graphics, world, story, game mechanics, and level of polish and quality of the game it self, it is a suscribtion based game, and it is soooo awsome because F2P games are just killing me, they have rubbish communities and just open up too much scamming and money grabbing.

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Nope I'm still here.

Same image

Count me in as well!

I completely agree. I do miss the deep mmos and muds. I'm not broke and I have no problem paying a sub for a quality game. More MMOs than quality these days so the FTP option works well for them. I do wish that every game could have a setup like EVE with Plex. It may even be possible since a lot of the gear is player created and the materia extension of it.

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games