Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good PvE MMO with a good population?

BlazeBiteBlazeBite Member Posts: 7

Hello! This is my first post on this site, so hi everyone :)

I'm currently looking for a new MMO to play. So many that I have looked up online seen to have an emphasis on PvP. I don't care much for PvP in a MMO. I really enjoy endgame content, such as dungeons/raids, crafting etc...

I just really want something PvE oriented that really goes in depth of your character development / investment with a decently sized population. (I know population doesn't mean if a game is good or not, but a large player base is something i prefer)

Many have recommended EVE online to me. I tried that for a bit and really liked it, but the fact that even after all the time, money and effort you put into your ship, if it gets destroyed, its gone for good and you're back to square one. Just not my style.

Any recommendations anyone could offer to me would be very much appreciated! :)

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    FFXIV in a couple months?
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Look into FFXIV.  It will release in August and is turning out to be a good PVE mmo.  
  • ZayonZayon Member Posts: 13
    Another vote for FFXIV here! Gonna be awesome. =)
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    You might be Fallen Earth material.   Its F2P so nothing to lose in trying. 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Add me to the FFXIV votes the game has gotten better and better through the testing phases and will be adding even more at open beta/launch times :3  And if it is successful it will be around for years to come too. FFXI still has expansions and patches and the like hitting that add content 
  • BlazeBiteBlazeBite Member Posts: 7
    Thank you all for the replies! So basically from what I've read from the replies, the new FF MMO coming out is the only game to look out for? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

There is this little indie underground game that is really built around PvE and has a large player base... y'know for being a small title and all I think it is called World of Warcraft.

For all the bad that people may throw at WoW it really does have some amazing content.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Archeage is going to have both PvE and PvP. With safe zones and more freedom than your typical MMO.  Open world non instanced housing has me excited and working with a guild toward a larger goal that isn't necessarily an instanced dungeon would be nice.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

It's not a new release but it may be new to you. Lord of the Rings Online is almost exclusively pve and it's f2p. They have a pvp element but it was always lackluster and a second thought.

Personally I enjoy FFXIV:ARR and think that is a very good choice if subscription is not a problem for you.

Indeed I agree with WoW! Does not deserve some of the hate it gets, it is a good game. Although, I started playing that during Vanilla WoW, and stopped playing it a year ago. I don't really have a desire to go back to it. I think im too picky when it comes to MMO and its tough to find a new one! :x
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Rift just went F2P, and populations are up.  It's a pretty good game.
  • ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

i've been very much enjoying the FF XIV:ARR beta, and it looks to be quite good come August. in the meantime, there are quite a few games that are at least F2P (or have a good look at, at least) that fulfill your requirement(s).

1. Star Trek Online

2. Neverwinter

3. EVE (and you need never really take much risk for PvP if you choose).

4. SWTOR

5. DC Universe Online

6. Fallen Earth (smaller but very devoted population)

7. EQ2 still has a healthy pop on some servers as well

8. Rift

• TolgeranthTolgeranth Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Star Wars The Old Republic. The storyline are the best in a mmo right now. Endgame is mediocre but level a republic and an imperial toon and have a blast. Free to play but to really enjoy it pick up the expansion Rise of the Hutt Cartel, add 5 dollars for a months sub and enjoy yourself. Harbinger on the North American servers is the busiest.
    Wow! I'm shocked at how fast I've gotten all these replies! Thanks a bunch for your input everyone :) I'm still un decided :X I guess I will just be patient until I stumble upon the one I want :P
    Also feel free to suggest any more at any time if you wish :P
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by BlazeBite

Hello! This is my first post on this site, so hi everyone :)

I'm currently looking for a new MMO to play. So many that I have looked up online seen to have an emphasis on PvP. I don't care much for PvP in a MMO. I really enjoy endgame content, such as dungeons/raids, crafting etc...

I just really want something PvE oriented that really goes in depth of your character development / investment with a decently sized population. (I know population doesn't mean if a game is good or not, but a large player base is something i prefer)

Many have recommended EVE online to me. I tried that for a bit and really liked it, but the fact that even after all the time, money and effort you put into your ship, if it gets destroyed, its gone for good and you're back to square one. Just not my style.

Any recommendations anyone could offer to me would be very much appreciated! :)

Well there's nothing perfect but if I was to recommend a game or two it would have to be Neverwinter or Guild Wars 2.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses.  I only recommend these 2 for their visceral combat systems.  But if you're not into action type combat with deck building tools (ala MT:G) then I can't help you, because I dislike tab target 4 rows of abilities games like WoW and Rift.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Good PvE, good population, and only one mentioned LotRO so far?  LotRO +1 :)

Or (if you played wow for years) I second Derros's post in that you could check Rift.

I have thought of trying LoTRO, but two people i know told me the population is scarce...so It kind of strayed me away from it. (I really don't like playing a low population/dead mmo). But maybe I should give it another shot if you say differently about its population!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I wouldn't say scarce at all, most servers have decent population.

For Canada most likely the usual US timezone is fit for your gaming time, so I'd recommend Brandywine or Landroval from the former US servers (Landy is the US-RP).

Or if you play off-peak times, rumor has it that Withywindle is the most populated among the former EU ones.