Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Norton 360 Y/N?

WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Currently I am using essentials and windows firewall, haven't had an issue with it.  A friend of mine has offered me 6 months free of norton 360.

Is it worth bothering with?

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

You're going to want some kind of anti-malware beyond just essentials. Norton 360 comes very well rated, but I have not personally used it.

My preference, and general recommendation, is actually two separate programs. AVG free 2013, and ThreatFire.

The former is a very effective free anti-malware suite. You miss out on a few of the advanced features by not purchasing, but  the average user will never miss them.

The latter is another kind of antivirus program intended to work in sync with others, and can often catch stuff traditional antivirus misses. Instead of using the normal method of comparing files to known dangerous programs, it instead watches for suspicious activity.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Using Norton 360 is worse than getting a virus in most cases.  It primarily protects from user error.  It locks down your system and makes doing some things a chore.  This prevents you from click on things you should not.  However, as far as anti-virus protection goes, its subpar to Windows Security Essentials.

You should usually have 2 anti-virus.  A heuristics anti-virus and a traditional anti-virus.  I think the best one to get is Malware Bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials.  I also recommend Malware Bytes and NOD32. The thing about security suites is sometimes virus build against a suite. Not many are built against 2 from different makers.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

N from me based on past experiences with Norton where it screwed with my computers drivers and other software along with access as previously mentioned by other posters.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Nortons is worse than the disease you're trying to fight.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Thanks Ill take a look at the others mentioned I appreciate the input.
  • outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I have Norton Internet security suite from my cable provider for free with my subscription.  Good for, I think, three computers.

I love it.  Not one problem since I got it. 

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Norton might as well be a virus itself, it's so intrusive.

there are better, cheaper, and some free, alternatives.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Draenor

I dont know how it is intrusive.  Never had a lick of problems.  Everything runs fine.

Quick explanation?  I would like to see if it is affecting my computer.

Thx

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by outfctrl
    Originally posted by Draenor

I dont know how it is intrusive.  Never had a lick of problems.  Everything runs fine.

Quick explanation?  I would like to see if it is affecting my computer.

Thx

Norton has a tendency to remind you excessively when it's expired...it also has a hard time knowing what ports to keep open and which ones are legitimately harmful...it's also not very effective with legitimate viruses such as virtumond and all of its iterations.

mostly though, I just get annoyed with how often its little notifications pop up on my computer...you can also see how many system resources it's taking by opening your task manager.  Norton runs heavy, or at least it has historically.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.