Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sensitive GM

SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I was on for less than ten minutes, getting used to the game.  Players were very helpful in chat.  Then the GM repeatedly demanded that I provide him a new name because he assumed "almightygod" would be just as offensive to his game population as "bigballs."  Even the other players in chat didn't get it.

Logged-out, un-installed

Don't harass a player who is considering to buy your game over nothing.  I could see if people were complaining, but c'mon!  Open PvP game is bound to have more controversial things going on than this.

P.S. This name originated as an ironic response to all the 1337 names I encountered in some FPS games and just stuck.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    And the GM was the sensitive one?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Grunty

Good question :)

I remember when a GM WAS god almighty in rpgs. Failing to do what he asked you to do would lead to a quick, painful and VERY emberresing death. 

Originally posted by cylon8
    this game is still alive?

Apparently they can even afford GMs now.

I played for a while and it was great and all, but the poor guy who tried to run it all by working 22 hours a day just couldn't do it fast enough for me.

"No, we can't have more grass yet, I had to let the guy who coded grass go, and I don't know how he did it.  I'll figure it out eventually by reading ten pages of code to find out what he did, but for now I've got 6000 other things I need to do yesterday."

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by Grunty

This

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I expect you would have been banned anyway with that attitude. It is good to know some games have GMs to help keep these type out. 
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I was nothing but polite before I logged off, guys.  In fact all I said was thanks to those that had helped and logged-off.   Had anyone complained about it, the request would make sense.  The GM didn't suggest he was offended by it, but that someone might. 

So I'm not sure what you mean by "that type" in your reference to me.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by AlmightyGod

I was on for less than ten minutes, getting used to the game.  Players were very helpful in chat.  Then the GM repeatedly demanded that I provide him a new name because he assumed "almightygod" would be just as offensive to his game population as "bigballs."  Even the other players in chat didn't get it.

Logged-out, un-installed

Don't harass a player who is considering to buy your game over nothing.  I could see if people were complaining, but c'mon!  Open PvP game is bound to have more controversial things going on than this.

P.S. This name originated as an ironic response to all the 1337 names I encountered in some FPS games and just stuck.

Religion: never used in naming convention can be disputed.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

I do agree the word almightygod has a connotation of religion.  I do not think it indicates any specific religion.  Are you really offended by almightygod?

I do agree the word almightygod has a connotation of religion.  I do not think it indicates any specific religion.  Are you really offended by almightygod?

Does it strike you that a name like that just might be a bit immersion breaking in a RPG? 

I don't know if the GM was just overly PC and afraid to offend some religious nutcase or not, but if it was my game, there is no way I'd allow a stupid name like that.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

While I normally would try to be the first person to go out of my way to piss off anyone believing or following any organized religion. Naming a character Almightygod is simply asking for trouble. Think of it as a kind of PvP, only your account is at stake if you lose. And if you win, well, all you get is knowing you pissed off someone on the internet. Kind of a Lose-Lose situation for you.

On the forums it's ok (to me), just don't expect people you welcome you warmly when you wear the name over your head in a game.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I was nothing but polite before I logged off, guys.  In fact all I said was thanks to those that had helped and logged-off.   Had anyone complained about it, the request would make sense.  The GM didn't suggest he was offended by it, but that someone might. 

How do you know no one complained? Is there only one chat channel that MUST be used by everyone? Is there a petition system in the game?

Personally for me I might have complained but that is because I f*****g can not STAND FPS type names in role-playing games, partially because I know the FPS community and most of them can suck it.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

I am not offended but all it takes is one.  Specifically in Xyson since it is a larger Roleplay community.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Slampig

How do you know no one complained? Is there only one chat channel that MUST be used by everyone? Is there a petition system in the game?

Personally for me I might have complained but that is because I f*****g can not STAND FPS type names in role-playing games, partially because I know the FPS community and most of them can suck it.

Only because he said no one complained.  There is not only one chat channel. I don't know whether or not there is a petition system in this game.

So for you, Slampig, this name brings offense because you associate it with people who suck. Is that accurate?

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

I remember way back they had a 16 year old GM.

That was back when they had some money too...

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Eh, people have become way too overly sensitive to the most ridiculous things, especially considering we are playing video games. Its a form of entertainment, yet everyone wants to throw their "serious business" stuff into it. I guess being a twit IRL carries over into gaming no matter how hard you try to RP something different.

People unfortunately associate the word "god" with meaning a particular "god". Its kind of funny though. You cant use a name containing the word god, yet you certainly wont see anyone getting in trouble for using a name containing something like Zeus, Thor, Mars, Neptune, etc. They were all gods, and you wont get banned for using a name like that, but better not use the actual word god anywhere.

Hell, I ran a clan for several years with the clan tag god, and was known as kaiser.god. It had nothing to do with religion. It was simply an acronym for Grissa Ost Drauka. some of you may recognize that from the Sword of Truth series, and means "bringer of death". Back then, I rarely ever had a problem being able to use the tag in games, but over the years more and more games have become restrictive to the point where 9/10 times the game blocks the use of the word god in any character or clan creation.

All because of a few morons who cant seperate their real life hang ups from playing in a fantasy world.

Sadly, most of the same idiots who would go crying to a GM about someone using god in your name are also sitting in chat babbling about how high they are, how many times they banged your mom, and how they're a hardcore gangsta and would beat your ass IRL.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Actually, Almighty God or God Almighty is a generally accepted to reference the Judeo-Christian "God" and yes, there is a possibility your usage of it could offend someone.  (Unless you can provide a video of your recent water walking or something)

Which might be interpreted differently if you used the lower case "god" but I see here in your forum name you chose to capitalize the G in God, so you are infringing on "His" copyright. 

Best to stay away from names that might offend, and while in this case I think they were being a bit too sensitive, their game, their rules.  And you responded appropriately as well, don't like it, don't play, don't give them any money.

All working as designed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    And you have used that name in other games as well? I'm surprised you haven't given it up by now.
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

I think you stepped on his toes.  

GM's get a little of an inflated sense of their self-worth.  

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by BrucyBonus
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually, Almighty God or God Almighty is a generally accepted to reference the Judeo-Christian "God" and yes, there is a possibility your usage of it could offend someone.  (Unless you can provide a video of your recent water walking or something)

Which might be interpreted differently if you used the lower case "god" but I see here in your forum name you chose to capitalize the G in God, so you are infringing on "His" copyright. 

Best to stay away from names that might offend, and while in this case I think they were being a bit too sensitive, their game, their rules.  And you responded appropriately as well, don't like it, don't play, don't give them any money.

All working as designed.

[mod edit]

It is easier to exclude any reference to religion than only the really offensive ones.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    you could have used AlmightyDog instead. When naming your characters think before you act. If your name can be offensive to a person of different religion, swap some letters.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Originally posted by BrucyBonus

All working as designed.

If you (the royal you, not you specifically) are offended by this you are not all that secure in your beliefs.  And perhaps a little of an asshat.  

It is easier to exclude any reference to religion than only the really offensive ones.

True.  But it grates with me non-the-less.  I hate making unreasonable concessions because someone chooses to be unnecessarily offended.  It is their problem, they should resolve it.    

All working as designed.

Probably, to most Christians and Jews.  I doubt a believer of a different religion would see or hear "Almighty God" and think of the Christian god; that just doesn't make sense.  

I lol'd when I saw this thread still going.  My original point as the OP was that the GM sort of jumped on a new player in a game that is young and low in players.  All I got was a tell saying, "choose a new name."  He compared my name to "Bigballs," saying both were equally offensive even though no one had complained about mine.  

He could have tried a softer approach to a new gamer to make them feel welcome.  Or at the least something like "Hey, man.  Would you mind using a different name in game because it just doesn't fit with the world." or "Almighty, your name offends me, I'd appreciate you choosing a different name."

Either way, this thread is getting off-point, so I digress and concede.  It's just a name.  I'll also change it in these forums, so I might not upset someone else.  Afterall, it's just a forum or game name.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Nice new forum name!
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    I think the GM was probably justified in asking you to change it , but I can also understand your frustrations too. And the moral of the story is ? .... don't mix religion with anything else ! :)

hehe, I was surprised to see a response to this old thread.  I guess you're right about mixing religion; people get offended.  Under that logic the game industry has a lot of work to do, considering all the references to gods out there from Shiva and Vishnu to Zues and Io and the earth mother references made in a multitude of games.

I didn't name my character Yahweh (?spelling) or Allah or Jesus Christ or even Almighty_God (capital G). It was almightygod. In a way the characters I play are an immortal version of ourselves.  These avatars are miniature immortal gods in an imaginary space.  The almighty part was just there as a boast.  Either way, it's a moot point now.

I really had thought it was funny that the GM equated it to being as offensive as "bigballs" -- his words.  For all he knew, I could have been a believer, using the moniker almightygod to pay tribute to my personal beliefs.  Equating that to "bigballs" could have been equally offensive to me had that been the case.

All this within a few minutes of logging into a new game for the first time.  The interaction was handled roughly.  There was no, "Hey, welcome to the game, etc., but I need to make a request" etc...

Anyways, funny to see this thread pop back up, and thanks for your opinion on it.

This discussion has been closed.