Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Starship Reveal In-game Footage!!

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Hot off the Press!!!

Click Linky for Video

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-300-series-revealed/

The entire team at Cloud Imperium Games is proud to reveal today the ORIGIN Jumpworks 300 Series line of spacecraft. You’ve caught glimpses of the base model ORIGIN 300i over the past few months and now we’re pleased to unveil the entire line. We believe this ship represents some of our best work to date and that you’re going to want one parked in your hangar! From the well-equipped 315p explorer to the powerful 325a dogfighter to the speedy limited edition 350r racer, there’s a 300 Series ship for everyone.

In addition to the glossy ship brochure, we’re extremely pleased to present to you the very first promotional ship commercial —rendered entirely in-engine —aimed at showing you just what you’re putting in your hangar!

We’re debuting the base 300i commercial today and then over the course of next week we will have alternate commercials for each of the variants, similar to how present day car manufacturers treat the launch of a new model.

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Your linky is bork, bork, bork, (says the Swedish chef).

Try this http://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-300-series-revealed/

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Hokie

Your linky is bork, bork, bork, (says the Swedish chef).

Try this http://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-300-series-revealed/

I checked the link it works for me...

Changed it to your link if its causing problems...

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Card carrying Bounty Hunter of the United Empire of Earth here... 300i is waiting for me in my hangar :)

Of course, now they came out with all the other models making my ship the most inferior of the lot :p don't think I'll upgrade though. I'm starting to feel just a little bit nickel-and-dimed. Just a little.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DeaconX

Card carrying Bounty Hunter of the United Empire of Earth here... 300i is waiting for me in my hangar :)

Of course, now they came out with all the other models making my ship the most inferior of the lot :p don't think I'll upgrade though. I'm starting to feel just a little bit nickel-and-dimed. Just a little.

Well if you think about it , you can earn all of the ships in game so your not missing out :)... the ships they are selling are just there to raise money for the game....nothing more. :)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Amazing that the ad is rendered in engine, this is what the game actually will look like.. can´t wait

Guess I´ll get myself a 350 upgrade for my 300i :D

direct link to youtube vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQ0qMRZ_1Q

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Ya same (I also got the BH option).  Its starting to feel like a cash grab as well.  Also p2w as I am betting all the ships are going to be in the store when the game goes live.  And before anyone says "well you can get it in game as well"  sure you can but how long will that take.  If wow sold all the end game raiding gear, would that not also be pay to win?

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    pretty sure it cuts to pre-rendered about half the time.
  • JTJT Member Posts: 401

None of the clip looked like in-game footage.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    pretty sure it cuts to pre-rendered about half the time.

nope. It says in-engine, also the player character model has been re-used. We already saw that in other early designs.

This is how the game will actually look like believe it or not :)

here is a detail shot of an ingame character

http://star-traders.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Dude10.jpg

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

call me old fashioned but I simply cannot take seriously a game that sells "game packages" anywhere from 30$ to over 2000$  of "in game stuff", which hasn't been created, for a game that isn't even half finished yet.

that right there just has waaaayyyyy too many red flags for me.

just think about it for a minute. 500$ packages and the game isn't even out. they have 0 actual, playable content and they are charging 500$. 500$!!! that is as much money as I've spent playing WoW over 3 years!!!

what about when they do actually have content? how much will "platinum" packages go for then? how much will you have to spend every time they come out with a new more powerful ship? and how competitive will you be without the "platinum" package? or without the latest greatest ship? are they going to be selling credits? how many credits will you need to stay competitive?

There is just so much wrong with this way of doing business, that I can't even begin to explain.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but it's a law of the universe that: that which starts with money on it's mind will end with money on it's mind. and on every page here I see a whole lot of asking for money. this will be a game for rich nerds, and most likely a P2W.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Dollar sign goes before the dollar value, otherwise I agree with the above post.

I toured a new 9 million dollar public library yesterday, and it made me realize just how much 10.5 million dollars really is.  An entire city could have a brand new public library for that.  I rarely use the word "sickening", but the amount of money this game is reaping is that.  Just a little bit.

Before you start in on me about how much AAA games cost these days, consider the game I've been playing for over a decade occupies a very similar niche and has been operating on a shoestring budget for all those years.

Now, I'm all about making money (I am pursuing an MBA, after all) but the way in which the money is made is everything.  First, SC offers an in-game crossbow for pledging for another game they support, then this 300 series reveal.  All the while their fan-base claiming "Not Pay-2-Win" because all this content can be earned through normal gameplay.  In my mind, if you can spend real world cash for in-game shortcuts, that's pay-to-win.  Then there's this gem: (post #7)

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forum/showthread.php?24602-I-feel-bad

"one thing i will say is that chris has said (in an interview) that he would love this game to get to the point where you can MAKE money by playing it!!

think on that for a bit "

Okay...

Now, if I were to tally up everything every overzealous fan said about some of the games on this site, this post might look pretty tame by comparison.  However, when is enough enough?  I can earn money by playing SC now?  That doesn't sound like a game, it sounds like a job.

Heck, some of the things I've said about my game of choice have probably elicited similar reactions to my own when I read the above post.  Still, to me a game is just a game, and always will be.

My whole feeling about the deal can be pretty much summarized by the following Vendetta player's sentiments (except I did not contribute to SC's KS campaign):

http://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/15/27490#333685

"I have definitely gotten the overhyped vibe out of [Star Citizen] though. I don't really like some of the things I've heard about the gameplay either, though I do like others. Will it be perfect? Absolutely not. Will it permanently displace VO in my life? Highly doubtful. Will I still enjoy playing it enough and for a long enough period for the cost to be worth it? Very probably.

As for whether it will do away with EVE, I doubt it. What people tend to forget is that EVE is not a shoot-em-up game. It's a corporate warfare game that happens to take place in space. Entirely different genre. SC will probably cut into their playerbase a bit, especially right at first, but eventually things will settle down. I fully expect EVE to still be there afterward."

tl;dr: 9 million dollars is enough to build a library / paying for shortcuts is the same thing as pay-to-win / I will continue to be a VO player, although I may take a brief vacation to see what SC cooks up

enjoy image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37
    I can't help but feel that this game will be the 'Segway' of MMOs. With so much hype and so many promises I find it hard to believe that it will live up to expectations. I hope it does -- but it seems unlikely.
  • SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54

Oh, how one could wish people would keep their mouths shut when they do not know what they are talking about, or at least make an effort to educate themselves before speaking (or in this case posting).

1) Feeling nickle and dimed: Do you feel you are being squeezed for money by new sales/offers/packages?  Well, whose fault is that?  Certainly not CIG considering everything, absolutely _EVERYTHING_ you can pay for will be available for in-game credits when the game is released.  It won't cost you a single cent beyond purchasing the game (which you already have if you've pledged for one of the ship packages) to get _exactly_ the same stuff the ones who bought the ships beforehand have.  Their guns are exactly the same as yours.  Their shields identical.  Their armor not at all different.  Their engines no more powerful.  All they get is the opportunity to play with that stuff in the alpha and beta, the chance to practice with it before release and the satisfaction of knowing they helped get the game made in the first place and that their donations were a part of making sure no greedy venture capitalist investors have any say in how the game is to be made and maintained.

2) What was that?  Don't tell you about how everyone can get in game anything the money people can get by paying?  Well, it's the truth whether you want to believe it or not.  Oh, but it will take ages you say?  Absolutely ages to get those things in game so you will _have_ to buy things in some cash shop?  Well, no.  The actual prices of things have yet to be finalized since balancing of that will be a big part of what is done in the alpha and beta, but Chris Roberts is on record as saying a Constellation, which is a rather big and powerful ship needing a four person crew if you want to fully make use of its potential, and therefore a rather expensive one as well, should take about 60 hours of gametime to earn, or about 2 months if you play 1 hour each day.  For a corvette class ship!  The smaller fighters and freighters like the 300i, the Hornet, the Freelancer and the like would take a significantly smaller time investment.  Now, if you're telling me 60 hours is too long to get what amounts to a ship just one step below a capital class vessel then I guess there's just no reasoning with you.

3) Oh, and about that cash shop people keep referring to since that's what they're used to from various F2P games:  There is no cash shop.  There are the in-game shops where you buy stuff for in-game credits, and that's that and that's all.  The only thing you can buy for cash money when the game is released is, in fact, in-game credits.  The exact same credits you earn by playing the game.  And not only that, but the amount of credits you will be allowed to buy every month will in fact be limited to stop people with lots of money from, you know, buying everything using their real llife money.  What's that you say?  You've never heard of a game developer setting up systems to stop you throwing money at them?  Well, you have now, because CIG are making the game _they_ wanted to _play_, not the game some EA accountant wanted to use as a way of sucking money from the gaming public.

4) It's still pay to win since you can buy the best stuff which means you get it faster.  You think so, do you?  Well, let's ignore the limit to how much you can spend on in-game credits per month.  Sure, let's ignore that even though it'll be there.  You're still wrong, because the best and most exotic pieces of equipment aren't something you'll find in any shop.  You'll have to get out there in space and get them the hard way.  By exploring unknown space.  By finding alien ruins or derelicts.  By capturing an alien vessel or some UEE experimental prototype.  Or, heck, if you're so inclined, by being a pirate and taking it from another player (if you think you'll be able to).  No amount of paying can get you any of those items.

5) That video is obviously a pre-rendered cinematic.  No.  No it is not.  That is in-engine real time footage.  That is what the 300i will look like on a powerful high-end PC _in game_, and that's a fact.

6) It's a cash grab!  Just look at the prices!  Again, if you don't like the prices, wait until the game is live and earn every ship available to pledgers by playing the game.  If you don't want to pledge, don't.  It's your money and you know best how you feel comfortable using it.  And for those who have already pledged and feel like they are forced to pledge more, don't.  Do not pledge more money to the game than you are comfortable with.  Do not think you have to "buy an advantage" or an even playing field, because you do not.  Chris Roberts himself has said he does not expect any existing pledgers to spend a single cent more on the game.  The sales and promo campaigns are meant to serve a dual purpose of drawing in _new_ people who may not have heard of the game before or who were on the fence, waiting to see something more before deciding, and secondly to show the existing community the kind of progress they're making and what they've been working on.  That said, there are naturally existing pledgers who will increase their pledges during sales like this.  If they do so, however, they should do it because they feel it is worth it to them to spend their money on helping the game one step closer to being the first AAA 100% crowdfunded game created.  I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the prospect of a game where no publisher or money-focused investor has any say in how things will be done is worth the money I've spent so far and will probably spend in the future.  I can afford it and would rather it be spent for that purpose than buying another designed-by-focusgroup and made for the lowest common denominator "blockbuster" from EA, or Activision or whoever and then find I'm tired of it after less than a month because it was never a game made for me or those like me who like game genres the big publishers consider dead and unprofitable.

7) The game will cost $20 million to make, and this is something CIG and Roberts have been open about from the start.  The original goal was $2 million in crowdfunding to get it made.  This was simply an amount needed for him to prove to investors that there was a demand for this sort of game.  Yes, always had the necessary funds available (from investors and what he himself had put up) as long as he managed to raise $2 million to prove it was viable.  So why continue the fundraising now that they're far beyond that initial goal?  Because Roberts wants to make a 100% crowdfunded game if possible in order to make certain CIG answers to noone when it comes to making the game, updating it, running it and so on.  An investor is only there for the profit they can make, so if for example EA suddenly made an offer to buy CIG then most investors would say "SELL, that way I make a great profit and screw your ideas about what kind of game you want to make".  He still has those investors available, but he has not closed on any of them due to the massive success of the crowdfunding campaign and the potential of actually raisine enough money not to need their "help".  Every dollar raised by the community is one dollar less influence wielded by people who do not care if you as a gamer like the game you're playing so long as they make a profit.

So, before you make ignorant statements about what Star Citizen will or will not be, do yourself a favor.  Go to http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com.  Look around all the info there (and it's ever growing as CIG have kept their promise to keep the fans involved and their design process as open and transparent as possible with several updates every week) to learn as much as you can about the game.  Then hop onto the forums where you'll find even _more_ information.  And then, assuming you're not suffering from information overload and you think the game sounds interesting, stick around.  Interact with the community.  Heck, even pledge some money to help the game along to the goal of being 100% crowdfunded if you feel that is a worthwhile use for your cash, but do it only because you feel this is the sort of game you want to see made.  The sort of game you've been waiting for, but never get from the big publishers due to it not being lucrative enough for them.  Spend your money only if youfeel the game is worth it, and not because you get to start with a ship anyone else can get easily enough for free in game.

Aaaand that's about that.  I'll get off my soapbox now before someone calls the police to get me dragged away for being a public disturbance.

Originally posted by SteinarB

Oh, how one could wish people would keep their mouths shut when they do not know what they are talking about, or at least make an effort to educate themselves before speaking (or in this case posting).

1) Feeling nickle and dimed: Do you feel you are being squeezed for money by new sales/offers/packages?  Well, whose fault is that?  Certainly not CIG considering everything, absolutely _EVERYTHING_ you can pay for will be available for in-game credits when the game is released.  It won't cost you a single cent beyond purchasing the game (which you already have if you've pledged for one of the ship packages) to get _exactly_ the same stuff the ones who bought the ships beforehand have.  Their guns are exactly the same as yours.  Their shields identical.  Their armor not at all different.  Their engines no more powerful.  All they get is the opportunity to play with that stuff in the alpha and beta, the chance to practice with it before release and the satisfaction of knowing they helped get the game made in the first place and that their donations were a part of making sure no greedy venture capitalist investors have any say in how the game is to be made and maintained.

2) What was that?  Don't tell you about how everyone can get in game anything the money people can get by paying?  Well, it's the truth whether you want to believe it or not.  Oh, but it will take ages you say?  Absolutely ages to get those things in game so you will _have_ to buy things in some cash shop?  Well, no.  The actual prices of things have yet to be finalized since balancing of that will be a big part of what is done in the alpha and beta, but Chris Roberts is on record as saying a Constellation, which is a rather big and powerful ship needing a four person crew if you want to fully make use of its potential, and therefore a rather expensive one as well, should take about 60 hours of gametime to earn, or about 2 months if you play 1 hour each day.  For a corvette class ship!  The smaller fighters and freighters like the 300i, the Hornet, the Freelancer and the like would take a significantly smaller time investment.  Now, if you're telling me 60 hours is too long to get what amounts to a ship just one step below a capital class vessel then I guess there's just no reasoning with you.

3) Oh, and about that cash shop people keep referring to since that's what they're used to from various F2P games:  There is no cash shop.  There are the in-game shops where you buy stuff for in-game credits, and that's that and that's all.  The only thing you can buy for cash money when the game is released is, in fact, in-game credits.  The exact same credits you earn by playing the game.  And not only that, but the amount of credits you will be allowed to buy every month will in fact be limited to stop people with lots of money from, you know, buying everything using their real llife money.  What's that you say?  You've never heard of a game developer setting up systems to stop you throwing money at them?  Well, you have now, because CIG are making the game _they_ wanted to _play_, not the game some EA accountant wanted to use as a way of sucking money from the gaming public.

4) It's still pay to win since you can buy the best stuff which means you get it faster.  You think so, do you?  Well, let's ignore the limit to how much you can spend on in-game credits per month.  Sure, let's ignore that even though it'll be there.  You're still wrong, because the best and most exotic pieces of equipment aren't something you'll find in any shop.  You'll have to get out there in space and get them the hard way.  By exploring unknown space.  By finding alien ruins or derelicts.  By capturing an alien vessel or some UEE experimental prototype.  Or, heck, if you're so inclined, by being a pirate and taking it from another player (if you think you'll be able to).  No amount of paying can get you any of those items.

5) That video is obviously a pre-rendered cinematic.  No.  No it is not.  That is in-engine real time footage.  That is what the 300i will look like on a powerful high-end PC _in game_, and that's a fact.

6) It's a cash grab!  Just look at the prices!  Again, if you don't like the prices, wait until the game is live and earn every ship available to pledgers by playing the game.  If you don't want to pledge, don't.  It's your money and you know best how you feel comfortable using it.  And for those who have already pledged and feel like they are forced to pledge more, don't.  Do not pledge more money to the game than you are comfortable with.  Do not think you have to "buy an advantage" or an even playing field, because you do not.  Chris Roberts himself has said he does not expect any existing pledgers to spend a single cent more on the game.  The sales and promo campaigns are meant to serve a dual purpose of drawing in _new_ people who may not have heard of the game before or who were on the fence, waiting to see something more before deciding, and secondly to show the existing community the kind of progress they're making and what they've been working on.  That said, there are naturally existing pledgers who will increase their pledges during sales like this.  If they do so, however, they should do it because they feel it is worth it to them to spend their money on helping the game one step closer to being the first AAA 100% crowdfunded game created.  I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the prospect of a game where no publisher or money-focused investor has any say in how things will be done is worth the money I've spent so far and will probably spend in the future.  I can afford it and would rather it be spent for that purpose than buying another designed-by-focusgroup and made for the lowest common denominator "blockbuster" from EA, or Activision or whoever and then find I'm tired of it after less than a month because it was never a game made for me or those like me who like game genres the big publishers consider dead and unprofitable.

7) The game will cost $20 million to make, and this is something CIG and Roberts have been open about from the start.  The original goal was $2 million in crowdfunding to get it made.  This was simply an amount needed for him to prove to investors that there was a demand for this sort of game.  Yes, always had the necessary funds available (from investors and what he himself had put up) as long as he managed to raise $2 million to prove it was viable.  So why continue the fundraising now that they're far beyond that initial goal?  Because Roberts wants to make a 100% crowdfunded game if possible in order to make certain CIG answers to noone when it comes to making the game, updating it, running it and so on.  An investor is only there for the profit they can make, so if for example EA suddenly made an offer to buy CIG then most investors would say "SELL, that way I make a great profit and screw your ideas about what kind of game you want to make".  He still has those investors available, but he has not closed on any of them due to the massive success of the crowdfunding campaign and the potential of actually raisine enough money not to need their "help".  Every dollar raised by the community is one dollar less influence wielded by people who do not care if you as a gamer like the game you're playing so long as they make a profit.

So, before you make ignorant statements about what Star Citizen will or will not be, do yourself a favor.  Go to http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com.  Look around all the info there (and it's ever growing as CIG have kept their promise to keep the fans involved and their design process as open and transparent as possible with several updates every week) to learn as much as you can about the game.  Then hop onto the forums where you'll find even _more_ information.  And then, assuming you're not suffering from information overload and you think the game sounds interesting, stick around.  Interact with the community.  Heck, even pledge some money to help the game along to the goal of being 100% crowdfunded if you feel that is a worthwhile use for your cash, but do it only because you feel this is the sort of game you want to see made.  The sort of game you've been waiting for, but never get from the big publishers due to it not being lucrative enough for them.  Spend your money only if youfeel the game is worth it, and not because you get to start with a ship anyone else can get easily enough for free in game.

Aaaand that's about that.  I'll get off my soapbox now before someone calls the police to get me dragged away for being a public disturbance.

Ok, I could care less about all the other crap you argued for or against.  I personally won't spend any money on this game until it is released and that is to buy the game and pay a monthly fee if needed.  I was playing Wing Commander and Privateer before most of you were born or walking, so I've been waiting a long time for this.

But, I dare you to prove this one  to me: 

I truly hope in-game looks like this, but I doubt it.  You say it is a fact, so prove it.

Alright.  Quoted from the latest article available on their website regarding questions on whether or not the video was in game footage or a specially made high poly model for cutscenes only:

"We would like to clarify one further thing about the commercial: the video you saw wasn’t just made in-engine, it used actual game models. You’re looking at the 300i mesh you will see in Star Citizen and not some high-poly fake created for cutscenes and good PR. What you’re seeing is what you’ll play."

The entire article is available on http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/a-new-record-300i-clarifications/

Good enough for you?  Well, it's the best you're going to get until the hangar module is released to backers in August where we'll be able to play around with customization and such as well as walk around and view our ships, get in and sit in the cockpit and so on.  The dogfighting alpha is scheduled for December when backers will get to actually fly their ships and we'll try to break stuff in order to find bugs and balance it all.

Oh, and considering I'm a child of the very early seventies (1972 to be exact) I doubt you played Wing Commander and the like before I was born, well unless you have a time machine in which case I would really like to borrow it so I can jump ahead to a date when Star Citizen is released.  Please? :D

EDIT: Forgot to comment on one thing.  There won't be any monthly fee to play the game.  You bought it, you own it.  The only thing you'd have to pay for is future single player mission/storyline packs like the old "Secret Missions" mission pack for Wing Commander.  All other updates (which are planned to be bi-weekly) where they add new ships, a new star system, an updated mechanic and so on will be free.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EDIT: Forgot to comment on one thing.  There won't be any monthly fee to play the game.  You bought it, you own it.  The only thing you'd have to pay for is future single player mission/storyline packs like the old "Secret Missions" mission pack for Wing Commander.  All other updates (which are planned to be bi-weekly) where they add new ships, a new star system, an updated mechanic and so on will be free.

That's some interesting information.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Yes, the idea is to use a micro-update system where they add a little bit to the game and do it quite often (as I said, bi-weekly is what they've been talking about so far) rather than wait for a whole bunch of content to build up and then release everything in some giant patch a few times a year.  It's really a continuation of the whole iterative dev process they're using where they're releasing bits and pieces of the game to be tested and played by the backers as they're ready (hangar module first, then dogfighting alpha, then the planetside module for social stuff, stores to buy/repair stuff for your ship ans so on and so forth).
  • TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

call me old fashioned but I simply cannot take seriously a game that sells "game packages" anywhere from 30$ to over 2000$  of "in game stuff", which hasn't been created, for a game that isn't even half finished yet.

that right there just has waaaayyyyy too many red flags for me.

just think about it for a minute. 500$ packages and the game isn't even out. they have 0 actual, playable content and they are charging 500$. 500$!!! that is as much money as I've spent playing WoW over 3 years!!!

what about when they do actually have content? how much will "platinum" packages go for then? how much will you have to spend every time they come out with a new more powerful ship? and how competitive will you be without the "platinum" package? or without the latest greatest ship? are they going to be selling credits? how many credits will you need to stay competitive?

There is just so much wrong with this way of doing business, that I can't even begin to explain.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong, but it's a law of the universe that: that which starts with money on it's mind will end with money on it's mind. and on every page here I see a whole lot of asking for money. this will be a game for rich nerds, and most likely a P2W.

They are also selling a $40 package, for wich you will get the game and a ship. $40 for a game isn't that weird.

No one is forced to spend $500.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    God I cant wait for this game!!!!    I just hope two players can fly one ship ect...

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

Originally posted by TheJoda
    God I cant wait for this game!!!!    I just hope two players can fly one ship ect...

You're not the only one wishing there was a way to skip the time between now and release, but then we'd miss out on all the updates and info they release regularly. :D

And what do you mean with two players flying one ship?  You mean like two players sharing their ships so you can let someone else fly your bird if you're not using it (which I believe they're looking at ways of making that possible) or do you mean ships with room for more than one crewman?  Because that last one is already there.  The Freelancer has room for 2 crew (turret gunner and pilot), the Constellation has pilot, 2 turret gunners and 1 fighter pilot for the snubfighter it can launch.  The Idris Corvette and bigger ships will need even more people in order for you to realize their full potential and so on.

Alright.  Quoted from the latest article available on their website regarding questions on whether or not the video was in game footage or a specially made high poly model for cutscenes only:

"We would like to clarify one further thing about the commercial: the video you saw wasn’t just made in-engine, it used actual game models. You’re looking at the 300i mesh you will see in Star Citizen and not some high-poly fake created for cutscenes and good PR. What you’re seeing is what you’ll play."

The entire article is available on http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/a-new-record-300i-clarifications/

Good enough for you?  Well, it's the best you're going to get until the hangar module is released to backers in August where we'll be able to play around with customization and such as well as walk around and view our ships, get in and sit in the cockpit and so on.  The dogfighting alpha is scheduled for December when backers will get to actually fly their ships and we'll try to break stuff in order to find bugs and balance it all.

Oh, and considering I'm a child of the very early seventies (1972 to be exact) I doubt you played Wing Commander and the like before I was born, well unless you have a time machine in which case I would really like to borrow it so I can jump ahead to a date when Star Citizen is released.  Please? :D

Well, I am a child of the 60's, so you got me on that one.  Of course, that was more of a generalization since I do know there are people my age or older here on the forums.  So if you found that offensive, I apologize.  Now, back to the main song and dance here.  I truly hope you do not believe everything they put out on their website.  When I actually see a video that obviously shows a real person controlling that ship or another ship "In-Game", then I will believe it.  Again, I truly hope it does look like this.  I want to play a game like this before my time here on Earth is done.  I wish I could live long enough to actually fly in space, but that ain't gonna happen. :)

JT

Yes, the idea is to use a micro-update system where they add a little bit to the game and do it quite often (as I said, bi-weekly is what they've been talking about so far) rather than wait for a whole bunch of content to build up and then release everything in some giant patch a few times a year.  It's really a continuation of the whole iterative dev process they're using where they're releasing bits and pieces of the game to be tested and played by the backers as they're ready (hangar module first, then dogfighting alpha, then the planetside module for social stuff, stores to buy/repair stuff for your ship ans so on and so forth).

A monthly update would be fine with me and release bug fixes on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

JT

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    yeah, um that doesn't look like ingame footage. Looks cool though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

I understand you guys being skeptics, I do.  Honestly, I do.  But having followed this project since the early crowdfunding campaign and having seen the way they do things and the way they treat the community they have given me absolutely no reason not to believe them when they say these are actual in-game assets rendered realtime in-engine rather than a pre-render made with something like Maya or the like.

Of course, if you choose to not believe that well, then there's nothing I can say or do to convince you otherwise, of course, since the game isn't released yet and the earliest anyone will get to play with anything is when the Hangar Module is released to backers in August.  So, I guess you'll just have to wait until August for the inevitable avalanche of YouTube videos.  And yes, CIG are actually on record as saying it'll be okay for the fans to make videos during the alpha and beta so long as the videos are good looking one and with the understanding that there _will_ be bugs in any alpha or beta version of a game.  That was in fact answered by Chris Roberts himself on one of the Wingman's Hangar episodes.  Does that sound like a company worried that things won't look as good as they're claiming?  Most alphas and betas from other companies have draconian NDAs to avoid bad publicity when things don't look as good or work as good as people had hoped.

TL, DR: CIG have earned my trust with their actions so far, I see no reason to believe they are lying.