Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] World of Warships: E3 2013 - Wargaming’s Most Ambitious Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wargaming had a big presence at the recent E3 convention in Los Angeles. In addition to showing off their two other games, the team ambitiously featured a World of Warships demo that awed the crowd. Check out our preview before heading to the comments to chat.

The demo we saw was pre-alpha which Wargaming explained still needs polish and work, however the core gameplay is now working and developers have been able to battle it out. The focus was on two types of ships the Cruiser and the Destroyer. Both have different play styles and connect into the game's rock, paper, and scissors play style. Two teams of six first battled on the South Pacific map. There will also be fifteen vs. fifteen battles. Even though the scenery was nice, the map has a lot of features to be aware of. Ships not only take damage but have to account for buoyancy and shallow waters.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of Warships: E3 2013 - Wargaming’s Most Ambitious Game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Really looking forward to this.. :)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Great review.

Submarines...for me...would be irresistable

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    One of the few F2P titles I'm looking forward to.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by DMKano

Tanks

Warplanes

Warships

What is next?

Soldiers...but then that would be a typcial WW2 MMO.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Of course, this game will be the least realistic of all their games. They will have to heavily "arcadify" the gameplay to make it fast-paced and dynamic.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Tanks

Warplanes

Warships

What is next?

Put your hands together....

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    only reason those guys are in business is because there is no competition, on world of tanks, basic game is still basic, did you try comparing warthunder with world of warplanes or what its name, there is nothing to compare, thats how big difference in quality there is, I dont expect anything out of warships, if warplanes was any indicator for quality of wargaming new games, they are far away from "quality "
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Smikis
    only reason those guys are in business is because there is no competition, on world of tanks, basic game is still basic, did you try comparing warthunder with world of warplanes or what its name, there is nothing to compare, thats how big difference in quality there is, I dont expect anything out of warships, if warplanes was any indicator for quality of wargaming new games, they are far away from "quality "

WoT was popular because it was fun. I tried some of the other tank games that have come along ( wargame ended up sueing one of them ) and they were bad.

Tanks had issues but it was still fun to shoot tank!

WoWp was just fail in design. They tried to make it tanks in the sky and it's never going to work. If they made war ship just peak-a-boom battle ships behind islands it's going to fail as well. I've never really seen any game footage but the one person I know in alpha will only tell me...it's not like that.

I guess I'll have to see.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I'm hoping a world (lol)of starships or world of anime inspired spider tanks be their next project:)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Of course, this game will be the least realistic of all their games. They will have to heavily "arcadify" the gameplay to make it fast-paced and dynamic.

Not really true, the World of Warplanes flight dynamics are really bad, enough to make the game a no play for anyone who has any experience with flight simulators.  As good as world of tanks is, world of warplanes is that bad imo.  

Let's hope that World of Warships is a lot better.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    In the end, imagine them syncing all the games together in the most massive project since PS2, except these were separate games whereas PS2 was built as one.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Tanks

Warplanes

Warships

What is next?

You are not wrong. All three games will be connected eventually into huge WWII like battlefield via the whole clan war system. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by Yuui

Tanks

Warplanes

Warships

What is next?

You are not wrong. All three games will be connected eventually into huge WWII like battlefield via the whole clan war system. 

If they have servers to handle it that would be amazing.   The ships could put inland fire.  the warplanes could attack both and the tanks would be inland fire against the soldiers and other tanks.    amazing.

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    And as usually the russian euqipments are far superior than the other nations like in the other 2 games.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    And as usually the russian euqipments are far superior than the other nations like in the other 2 games.

Well it is their home country.  they must be the best.  If it was an Indian company you know they would have an Indian line of tanks better then anyone else

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    No carriers?

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by dalewj
    Originally posted by Yuui

Tanks

Warplanes

Warships

What is next?

If they have servers to handle it that would be amazing.   The ships could put inland fire.  the warplanes could attack both and the tanks would be inland fire against the soldiers and other tanks.    amazing.

Wargaming have already said this won't happen. They say it's impossible to link the 3 games together. Probably due to restrictions with the Big World engine.

If you want a game that will include all 3 elements, tanks, ships and planes, you're going to have to wait for War Thunder who have recently shown screenshots of their upcoming  ground units. A Sherman and a Tiger so far.

Anyone who has played War thunder can tell you they have 3 tabs at the bottom of the screen for the 3 services, Army, Navy and Airforce but only the Airforce is currently available.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

i remember playing "battlestations midway" online on the 360... when you had a decent game and everyone was doing their thing.

It was one of the best experiences online in WW2 (and so different from the mountain of FPS shooters)

offline - it was a damn hard game that managed to mix it up with a decent amount of gameplay.

i normally prefer ship to ship combat from the 16th-18th century (burning seas mmo was half decent on this before eco bombs and stupid dev decisions killed the game). But i'm looking forward to this... and not just because my dads ex HMS Ark Royal.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The BigWorld engine is the best choice in middle-ware engine to include all three in one game.  However, you are talking about a monumental feat in game design to pull all three together and expanding the gameplay already in all three games.  WoWP and WoT is probably just not designed from the get go to go together.  On a purely technical standpoint, how BigWorld handles terrain its able to make the optimizations necessary for a battle the size required by World of Warplanes with the terrain fidelity of World of Tanks.  The real problem is design of an arcade game that includes both.

Fundamentally, being a tank against a plane will not be fun.  You will just get shot up and have no counter measures.  The maps themselves will be huge making a land battle take a long time.  Conversely being a tank verse a Warship will be even less fun.  The only way to make it work would be to use it like a campaign in Clan Wars.  Use the various games to clear objectives necessary for taking a territory.

I am very excited to play World of Warships.  With what I have seen out of Wargaming recently, they have done a fantastic job with these games.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

what really wow's me (Or will i guess) is the idea of them merging all three into one thing

The idea of playing a tank game where aiplanes can call me out as a target to a ship miles away, etc.

Lets hope they can keep a somewhat realistic vibe to it, give people something that u can' tget anywhere else.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Tanks

Warplanes

Warships

What is next?

From Wargaming comes....World of Economics? :) (gotta pay for all those machines of death somehow!)

Anywho...great article. Game looks intense and I am going to have a hard time not shouting "You sank my battleship!!" every time!

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• hwulf01hwulf01 Member Posts: 2
    Spaceships ?
  • hwulf01hwulf01 Member Posts: 2
    Spaceships ?
  • Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118

Tanks

Warplanes

Warships

What is next?

Warthunder

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by XilentStorm
    In the end, imagine them syncing all the games together in the most massive project since PS2, except these were separate games whereas PS2 was built as one.

Wargaming has already stated due to restrictions in the Big World engine, they cannot tie the three games together.

WoWPs is a bad game all around. UI lags terribly and its like flying with a rubberband attached. BOING! BOING! BOING! Graphics and animations are stolen from 2006.

WoTs is what it is.  30 vultures on two teams who don't know the first thing about teamwork. Tanks balanced for premium round usage so if you don't use gold rounds your tank under-performs. And then there's the spotting system.

2 out of the 3 games have tanks and planes that disappear in the wide open spaces.

I wonder what it'll be like to see an aircraft carrier disappear on a calm ocean..XD