Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, the XBone's "family sharing" might not have been what many thought it was

GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Interesting writeup by a, unconfirmed, MS employee, esp. that part about how the family sharing feature was really going to work.  If true, it means one of the most hyped XBone features was a bit of a farce.

"When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour.  This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to.  When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game."

http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    But that is nullified now that the DRM was dropped, so this feature really doesn't matter anymore as far as I can tell since you can just share a physical game with someone instead of using the family sharing.
  • Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    But that is nullified now that the DRM was dropped, so this feature really doesn't matter anymore as far as I can tell since you can just share a physical game with someone instead of using the family sharing.

It's not nullified. "It is still possible to implement this with the digital downloaded versions of games, and in fact that's the plan still as far as I'm aware."(9)

That link is complete hubris. The nerve......"[...] in helping educate the gamer, [...]"(3) Chicken shit coward said all that while hiding in anonymity.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Dexter2010
    Originally posted by Panther2103 But that is nullified now that the DRM was dropped, so this feature really doesn't matter anymore as far as I can tell since you can just share a physical game with someone instead of using the family sharing.
    It's not nullified. "It is still possible to implement this with the digital downloaded versions of games, and in fact that's the plan still as far as I'm aware."(9)

That link is complete hubris. The nerve......"[...] in helping educate the gamer, [...]"(3) Chicken shit coward said all that while hiding in anonymity.

Digital downloads operate under a different set of accepted rules than game discs. Microsoft's biggest issue was trying to apply the rules for digital downloads to game discs so that people would be forced to buy more game discs.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

He seems a bit butt hurt over this. IF it's real and who can really blame him on that..

But really though.. I'm sorry Microsoft was out to catch people sleeping and hoping that some promises of special bells and whistles was esential to their DRM push would be enough to keep the sheep in herd. Pretty much BS since they were quite fancy to switch back to their current model and seemingly dump the DRM like it was too easy.

It's very reminiscent to EA and their always online DRM for Sim City. People cut through that line of mess fairly easy as well. The biggest issues with these things is when these Publishers come to the people with the DRM and claim how essential it is to their vision when really it's just another form of control.

Yes, let's be that real. Just another attempt to subvert WE.. THE PEOPLE's choice in something as simple as true ownership over our video games. There are many off put reasons why folks would still want their games on disc AT LEAST as an option. What if my system goes to shit? Now I've lost everything that was on my console; my downloaded digital property. With their licencing policies and from other attempts at this. Obtaining the proper "rights" to your games becomes a whole new hassle when cmpared to just buying a new system and having those games ready in hardcopy.

Speculation will run amuck for the reasons why and why not 'DRM', but gamers should still realize that this turn in policy was a pivitol statement from the gamers; the consumers about how they feel about digital rights over software in all formats.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Opapanax

He seems a bit butt hurt over this. IF it's real and who can really blame him on that..

But really though.. I'm sorry Microsoft was out to catch people sleeping and hoping that some promises of special bells and whistles was esential to their DRM push would be enough to keep the sheep in herd. Pretty much BS since they were quite fancy to switch back to their current model and seemingly dump the DRM like it was too easy.

It's very reminiscent to EA and their always online DRM for Sim City. People cut through that line of mess fairly easy as well. The biggest issues with these things is when these Publishers come to the people with the DRM and claim how essential it is to their vision when really it's just another form of control.

Yes, let's be that real. Just another attempt to subvert WE.. THE PEOPLE's choice in something as simple as true ownership over our video games. There are many off put reasons why folks would still want their games on disc AT LEAST as an option. What if my system goes to shit? Now I've lost everything that was on my console; my downloaded digital property. With their licencing policies and from other attempts at this. Obtaining the proper "rights" to your games becomes a whole new hassle when cmpared to just buying a new system and having those games ready in hardcopy.

Speculation will run amuck for the reasons why and why not 'DRM', but gamers should still realize that this turn in policy was a pivitol statement from the gamers; the consumers about how they feel about digital rights over software in all formats.

While you're right that the always online "feature" was the major bone of contention for the...XBone...the point I was trying to make was that the "family sharing" wasn't going to work like we've been hearing from all the shills and fanboys.  In essence, it was nothing more than a glorified demo, not sharing.  Just another one to add to the MS pile of bullshit.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Opapanax

While you're right that the always online "feature" was the major bone of contention for the...XBone...the point I was trying to make was that the "family sharing" wasn't going to work like we've been hearing from all the shills and fanboys.  In essence, it was nothing more than a glorified demo, not sharing.  Just another one to add to the MS pile of bullshit.

Your point is duely noted..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

I love reading people debate posts made by "anonymous employees of X company", as if its actually true.

lol