Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU Parliament: Microsoft, Google asf. MUST guarantee privacy or their licenses in Europe will be rev

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

In an unpreceented move, the Conservative Party bloc in the EU Parliament has brought forth the suggestion for a law, that global companies like Microsoft, Google and others must make sure that users have their privacy and can't be spied on (without being informed and approved by a court in every case), or the European Union will revoke their license in Europe!

Here is the (alas German) article on "Spiegel Online"

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/prism-skandal-eu-konservative-drohen-google-und-co-a-906991.html

Translated the vital parts:

"After the revelations about the U.S. spy program prism, the largest group in the European Parliament threatens the major Internet companies with an operating ban. "Whether Google, Facebook or Russian companies: any company that offers services in the EU on the Web must guarantee that they meet EU standards comply with data protection," said Manfred Weber (CSU), deputy leader of the European People's Party (EPP ), to SPIEGEL ONLINE. "Those who do not play by the rules, may not operate here."

Justice expert Weber demanded a massive tightening of the current draft of the European Commission, which is currently being negotiated by Member States in the Council and Parliament. He wants to force companies to inform European data protection authorities to requests from intelligence to data of EU citizens. But above all, they need to make sure that the data access does not happen without the permission of the local data protection and without a court order.

"If it is not possible by legislate measures to protect these data, we need to think about a control of the EU Cloud. We must encourage or restrict the business."

The mills of the EU usually work slow. Still, an interesting development.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    LOL, I love how the EU is acting like they didn't know the surveillance was going on.  I'm even more amazed that some people in Europe believe them.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    It's not about not knowing anymore; it hasn't been for some time. This move will be something to keep an eye on.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Elikal

In an unpreceented move, the Conservative Party bloc in the EU Parliament has brought forth the suggestion for a law, that global companies like Microsoft, Google and others must make sure that users have their privacy and can't be spied on (without being informed and approved by a court in every case), or the European Union will revoke their license in Europe!

Right, governments are very jealous about protecting their right to spy on their citizens.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I fully approve of their decision as spying and sharing among the marketing giants is way out of hand.I have only ever registered to a few sites,a few gaming and a few media outlets like TSN or NHL.com and UFC.com,yet my spam folder hits 300+ every week even though i have cleaners and anti virus ect ect.

The "unless allowed by court " is of course to allow the government or legal agencies in but even still they over step their bounds.

I would like to see Facebook/Twitter/Google/Yahoo all blacklisted,they are extremely intrusive on invasion of your privacy.Everything gets out of hand when all these giants are fighting over advertising.So they have come up with ways to share among each other and track everything you do so they can share it with their advertisers.

Really i think what it will take is government to step in.The reason being illegal people caught doing bad things in government don't want to be a victim of the internet anymore.They want to remain hidden even when caught,so i expect a lot more changes to happen in the near future.However since the FBI uses Facebook for example,how could we get them to enforce privacy laws when they are every bit as corrupt?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.