Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Sky Pirates of Tyria Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has announced the next Guild Wars 2 content update. Called "Sky Pirates of Tyria", the new content will bring more additions to the Living Story, a new dungeon, new quests, and the news that custom arenas and spectator mode will be entering the live game. Sky Pirates of Tyria is expected to go live on June 25th.

Details of the update include:

• New Story Dungeon: Aetherblade Retreat – Find the hidden entrance to the Aetherblade base and take the fight to the pirates. It’ll take skill, courage, and no small measure of agility to battle through to the Aetherblade Captain and First Mate.

• Sea of Sorrows Scavenger Hunt – In this new, permanent content, players search for clues to the locations of 12 plaques that have been set up to honor the history of the city and its founder, in the novel Sea of Sorrows by our very own Ree Soesbee, narrative designer, ArenaNet, hitting store shelves and Amazon on Tuesday, June 25.

• New Rewards – A variety of new rewards are available, including Aetherblade caches, a First Mate Horrik miniature companion, a stylish monocle and more.

• Skill and Trait Balance Update – The largest balance patch ever is being introduced in this build, which includes significant updates to traits and skills to introduce more viable build diversity. Every profession trait line is seeing changes.  Updates also have been made to some less popular skills to improve their effectiveness.

• Custom Arenas and Spectator Mode leaves Beta – Custom PvP arenas allow players to host private matches, and customize their map settings. This feature is leaving beta, which means that Custom Arena Starter Kits will be available for anyone to purchase in the Gem Store. Spectator Mode also is officially out of beta. Together, these two features allow for practice, competitive play and tournaments.

• Mortar Mastery Joins the Growing List of World vs. World Abilities – Players can increase their mortar effectiveness by training in Mortar Mastery. Improvements in this line include increasing mortar blast radius, beefing up on damage, reducing skill recharge, and even adding a new skill, Mortar Barrage.

Read more on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Great stuff

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I logged in for the first time in months yesterday and was amazed to see I was put on an OVERFLOW server. That's something I hadn't seen since the very first month of the game's launch.

It's crazy how fast they keep putting out new events - honestly I can't keep up with THEM :p

I'm sure players who play much more are glad there's something new pretty much every month...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

Can't wait. I just started Guild wars 2 again, its the only MMO which I think is slightly different.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Generally still disappointed.  They really continue to neglect PvP over PvE.  With PvP they continue to add features that should have been in at launch while actually expanding on PvE.  Really excited to see balance changes though.

Steam: Neph

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Amazing how quick they are pumping out these content updates.  I do wish they would add another high level zone.  Cursed shores is great and all but you can only mess around there so long.  Also maybe one day they will lay off the temporary living story stuff and add something permanent.  I may be in the minority but I really have never liked temporary content and haven't touched the "living story".

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by DeaconX

I logged in for the first time in months yesterday and was amazed to see I was put on an OVERFLOW server. That's something I hadn't seen since the very first month of the game's launch.

You were probably in Lion's Arch. :)

This game is awesome, I left it last november, came back in march and loving it ever since.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Generally still disappointed.  They really continue to neglect PvP over PvE.  With PvP they continue to add features that should have been in at launch while actually expanding on PvE.  Really excited to see balance changes though.

As someone who quit because of a lack of meaningful PvE content I would disagree.

I am wondering if this patch will bring forth the ever requested Dungeon Finder tool?  So far this looks like a great first step in getting me back playing the game but I will not return until a LFG tool is implemented.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

"Custom Arenas and Spectator Mode leaves Beta – Custom PvP arenas allow players to host private matches"

Its great as it is in beta right now...this will be one of the best content updates any game has ever had. The only game that is going to be able to touch this any time soon will be Neverwinter IF they allow Foundry PvP content to be created.

GW2 is growing into one the best MMOs ever made.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Name me one single game to EVER release with the things that have been added in GW2 since launch...go on. Just one.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Saw the title of this update and got really excited thinking there were airships or airship battles invovled. I appreciate the updates but I'd really like to see something differnet from a new dungeon, pvp mode or map, or new gear.

Where's the guild halls more importantly? Is that ever happenning?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

So, people guessed the title right.

It looks like a good addition. I really hope the balance patch is a good one, because some weapons and skills need major changes.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Name me one single game to EVER release with the things that have been added in GW2 since launch...go on. Just one.

Uh...name one meaningful addition they've made to PvP since launch?  The answer is none.  Balance has been horrible since launch leaving several classes underperforming and useless in PvP when directly compared to another class you could bring.  They've added new maps to sPvP that continue to remain the same singular mode present since launch.  Now they've added spectator mode and custom arenas, again for a singular pvp mode of point capture and hold.  WvW they got rid of culling and added an AA path that's not meaningful at all and took out the orbs and replaced them with nothing meaningful because they couldn't figure out how to stop the hacking.

So just like most themeparks out there PvP is neglected again.  Which is a travesty if you compare to GW1 even at its launch.

Also they can churn out all the content they want.  However, if it's not good, which is an opinion obviously, it's just a waste.

Steam: Neph

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Mortar Barrage.

I need to change my undies now.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by azzamasin

As someone who quit because of a lack of meaningful PvE content I would disagree.

I am wondering if this patch will bring forth the ever requested Dungeon Finder tool?  So far this looks like a great first step in getting me back playing the game but I will not return until a LFG tool is implemented.

Good news on this front, people have datamined information about an LFG tool that will indeed be coming. It may not be this patch, but it's real.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Majority of it has been fluff.  Only a few really good content patches and no one time events do not count.  You had fractals and you had southsun.  That's it and the game is been out near a year now.  There's hardly any guild level PvE stuff and theres zero progression stuff outside of legendary's.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Yeah, LFG tool has apparently been datamined, but it doesn't seem to be your typical LFG ala WoW. It's more akin to making your group publicly advertised and accessible as opposed to game automating everything on its own.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    Originally posted by Volkon

Good news on this front, people have datamined information about an LFG tool that will indeed be coming. It may not be this patch, but it's real.

Yea I heard about that, its why I asked.  Ohh well here's hoping that gets put in soon™.

Majority of it has been fluff.  Only a few really good content patches and no one time events do not count.  You had fractals and you had southsun.  That's it and the game is been out near a year now.  There's hardly any guild level PvE stuff and theres zero progression stuff outside of legendary's.

Well, I'm inclined to believe you actually do play GW2 with dodge skills that refined. 

Yes, one time/ limited time content counts. Super Adventure Box, for example, gave a lot of people a lot of fun and will be returning in the future. The key to the limited time content is that they don't clog up the game with instances, areas and content that die off as new things come along. Things that come and go are fresh when they're around without having the chance to stale and be forgotten. 

There's also progression in WvW now with the WvW specific talents, and if you think those aren't significant you really need to get out more. Guild stuff is there as well, every week my guild is doing our guild content mostly for fun, but also for the accommodations. 

Ignoring what they've added doesn't mean they didn't add it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• rogielrogiel Member UncommonPosts: 21

I'm not all that enthousiastic to be honest:

The game is very original overall, and  I consider it a great and memorable addition to the mmorpg gerne, however, after I leveled 5 80's, purchased the best gear set for each of them with gold, ran every dungeon dozens of times, exhausted myself on PvP, I came to the conclusion that something huge is missing in this game:

- It does not feel rewarding at all to buy gear sets with gold

- The tuning of your looks/esthetics with dungeon gear is actually quite limited

- and most importantly, the overall lack of true character progression: Making a level 80 is easy; Creating a legendary takes so much effort and leaves you with a weapon of which the stats are not different from exotics at all; Dungeons do not offer the exitement of possibly gaining that very special item your were needing; PvP is merely a tug and pull over meaningless objectives; PvP progression is shallow in the sense that you're character does not gain any benefit over other players, merely adding some stuff like resistance to warmachines etc.; dragon encounters are a target and click till your fingers hurt.

Overall Anet is too decent, wanting to keep things too balanced. This extra content doesn't seem to add anything extra to what was already there. But hey I'll give it a try.

"If I had the stars of the darkest nights or the diamonds from the deepest ocean, I would forsake them all for your sweet kiss"

Uh...name one meaningful addition they've made to PvP since launch?  The answer is none.  

Oh I get it, make a comment using a concrete statement that they only updated with what other games release with and then when confronted to actually give a DETAIL you reply with something subjective.

in other words, you aren't saying anything at all.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

How are they neglecting it with a big balance change??? image

Originally posted by Kuppa

im thinking he is a troll. GW2 has had massive improvements, skills, ranks, sieges, matches, ranking matches, tournaments added and the balance in this patch is only PART of the PvP content...being able to build your own PvP maps and hold private matches is something how many games have?!?

So, yeah...

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

im thinking he is a troll. GW2 has had massive improvements, skills, ranks, sieges, matches, ranking matches, tournaments added and the balance in this patch is only PART of the PvP content...being able to build your own PvP maps and hold private matches is something how many games have?!?

So, yeah...

Spvp/tpvp is still crap.  They have added nothing, the population is dead on the pvp side of the game, and for good reason.  What are you talking about "build your own pvp maps" where did you make that up from.  

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Because every time they have said that "big pvp patch" has turned into nothing more than some minor balance changes that did nothing to change the meta or increase the number of viable pvp builds.  Also them saying that the next patch will be another big pvp patch does not in fact mean that it really is.  And even if it is, they still neglected pvp for almost a year now. 

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

99% of this new content is fluff, or pvp features that should have been there at release.

Balancing is a joke in this game.