Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    I would love to play a stars wars game and it seems not bad but those dang f2p/premium  restrictions are just to awful and I am not willing too go p2p on it.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    I would love to play a stars wars game and it seems not bad but those dang f2p/premium  restrictions are just to awful and I am not willing too go p2p on it.

It's the zones locks that stop me.... the day I tried to run to Anchorhead on my Sith Juggernaught and got fatigue made me promptly log out and uninstall.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89

SWTOR missed its chance which sucks because I loved TOR series and I actually enjoyed the gameplay and story aspects of SWTOR but its lack of end game content and terrible community killed it for me, SWTOR community is probably the worst I've ever seen in an MMO so that alone drives people away. Not to mention the pathetic amount of content they add, WoW content patches have as much or sometimes even more content then Rise of the Hutt cartel! Lets not forget the abysmal load times and lack of server xfers, cross server play etc.... The game is so far behind the times I just don't see a recovery in sight.

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182
    I really enjoyed SWTOR with my friends.  The problem with it is that they have not released a new flashpoint in like a year and a half.  So there is NO new content for us to play through since we don't have enough for Operations.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I do not sub during the 3 month summer time but i do log in occasionally to do some FP's and dailies. Last night both Tomb of Freedon Nadd and The Red Eclipse where quite active with plenty of players running around. Furthermore, almost everyone had something from the cartel shop which indicates that people play AND spend their money in game.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    LOL, another bash TOR thread, these seem to be obligitory on mmorp.com. I have several alts at different levls and it is quite populated. This does not mean the game cannot improve, certainly the space game needs improvemnt, but failing---Hardly
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    No Fruxy it cannot, best to invest your time in another game. Whatever chance they had it was squandered long ago, I think they spend more time on their cash shop now than the game itself. Too many big games coming out soon, not to mention the consoles. This chapter in MMO history is closed. 
  • rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by leinad312
    They had their chance to recover but blew it with their restrictive f2p model. Nearly everyone that I know who played SWTOR didn't go back after seeing the f2p/preferred account limitations.

This, I cant tell you how many times I've heard this as why people don't play.  Personally there's a foundational issue I have with it.  Star Wars is about betrayal and turning sides.  Getting orange eyes or veins don't cut it.  You should be able to betray to the other side.   Additionally, there's not near enough species choices for a SW game, click timer combat is way outdated, limited open world PvP (another foundation of Star Wars Universe).  It just doesn't feel right.

• CuningasCuningas Member UncommonPosts: 48

But you can buy the Cartel Shop unlocks with credits...

I'm going to buy the cheaper unlocks now while preferred (350000 credit cap) and then subscribe for a month or a couple and buy the rest.

You get credits so easily in this game that it will be easy to unlock all the important stuff.

And those weekly passes, I think that you can pile them up and spend later? So I might be buying those too.

And server loads are always heavy at prime time, so there are players.

I just enjoy the fact that you TOR haters are not playing. Community feels a lot more united and friendly now.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Filosofi

But you can buy the Cartel Shop unlocks with credits...

I'm going to buy the cheaper unlocks now while preferred (350000 credit cap) and then subscribe for a month or a couple and buy the rest.

You get credits so easily in this game that it will be easy to unlock all the important stuff.

And those weekly passes, I think that you can pile them up and spend later? So I might be buying those too.

And server loads are always heavy at prime time, so there are players.

I just enjoy the fact that you TOR haters are not playing. Community feels a lot more united and friendly now.

I've got all necessary unlocks and 4 months of Operation weekly passes in 1 month of subscription play. I've played for free for 4 months now, without feeling restricted by anything else than the 350k credit cap and the 2h instead of 30min quick travel. People are turned off by facts like "i have a limited number of action bars" without realizing that it takes about 40min at max level to unlock one. Same for inventory unlocks, it's actually cheaper after some point to unlock with things from the cartel market (bought with credits from the auction house) than directly with credits. But the haters don't know that, because they've quit somewhere between levels 8 and 15. Go a bit into details with the haters, you'll scare them as they don't know the game, did actually not play the game to see how it is -  they will run back in their hole, hiding behind arguments like "there's no critters" and "no day-night cycle" and "crappy engine" etc., nothing specific about the game's systems.

The game is totally playable as preferred. The community is great and the servers are packed at prime time. My guild has 30 people on at prime time and between 6-12 around the day. We do something every evening, the 55 operations story mode or hard mode, world bosses, classic operations etc. Most of us have alts at different levels and play together most of the time. 

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

they have some VERY big problems, that prevent recovery

1. hero engine,,need i say more?

2. EA overlords..look at their other big mmo franchise,,they even used some of the same people

3. story ,,, yes , it did add a nice feature, but it also removed their chances , of making new content fast enough

4. the fans,,we all want the game to suit OUR needs,,and everybody else can F... off

even if swtor was the only mmo on the market, they would still be struggling

remember the prelaunch dreams?  100s of planets?  over 10 mio players?

they suits must have been high that day

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    All I want in a SW game is ship combat like Xwing Alliance, ground combat like Jedi Outcast, 3 factions able to take planets, and lots of fighting. In the same game.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

No fanbois here but I returned to SWTOR after it went free to play and revived my sub. Against my expectations every day I am logging in to do dailies and on the weekends I level up my pre-50 toons.

You want to know where the pop is - do the dailies. The number of players has gone down since the Hutt expansion but is still plenty of activity every time I log in - and it gets crowded at peak time (7:00 pm - 9:00 pm). 

Of course my viewpoint is parochial. I am on a pve US server. Still, I remember what the server was like before I left and at that time it was nearly dead (I saw 1 or 2 people at most in my areas in peak times).  

No SWTOR is still not going to conquer the world but it is doing ok.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Against my expectations every day I am logging in to do dailies

You want to know where the pop is - do the dailies.

Dailies are by far the worst aspect ever in regards to whether or not to play an MMO.

Someone please take the Death Star and get rid of dailies once and for all.

And don't give me the "dailies are optional" rhetoric.  We all know that's never true.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by tordurbar

Against my expectations every day I am logging in to do dailies

You want to know where the pop is - do the dailies.

Dailies are by far the worst aspect ever in regards to whether or not to play an MMO.

Someone please take the Death Star and get rid of dailies once and for all.

And don't give me the "dailies are optional" rhetoric.  We all know that's never true.

Dailies allow players to get better gear at max level. This especially helps the solo player - like me. Plus, you add to your Legacy levels as well which helps all your alts. 

I like dailies. I would not (and have not) considered that the primary factor in playing an MMO but it was a factor that made me quit GW2. No way to get better - no reason for me to stay.

And yes - I am an ex-WOW player. I loved the WOTLK dailies the best.

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
    SWTOR is yesterday. Not much resembles Star Wars, apart from some lihgtsabers, a bunch of hutts, some opening class cinematics, and.. Wait, what else is there? No Lucas Arts anymore, no real BioWare, just Disney and EA thinking of ways to screw you out of your cash. If you're of the older generation and miss what George Lucas originally branded as Star Wars, keep away from SWTOR.

TL;DR: good game to play for a few days if you have a sudden urge to spend a couple of hundred bucks in a cash shop.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Fruxy

This game just seems to fall and fall and fall with no end in sight.

There is no end to trolls.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

No it won't.

Simple reason being they have let too many staff go and they will never get to grips with that terrible engine they adapted.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

It may pick up over the next few weeks for double xp weekends, as that makes the game more fun not having to repeat the many side quests and focus on the main class stories not yet done, but then afterwards it will go back down

Once SW Battlefront gets released, people will ditch this and go play that. Then EA will see the major profits from it compared to SWTOR, and do more SW games and get rid of SWTOR as the game can not be enhanced enough to attract players in like new SW games will be able to.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by gervaise1

However there is now Starwars Battlefront.

Presumably this is is going to be a Star Wars skinned Battlefield 3. Good engine and maybe they can reuse SWTOR material:artwork,   

What the hell? If you care about SWBF3 you should re-think that Idea. SWTOR looked like a stupid cartoon.

Not saying that is what I would want but if you were EA looking to make Star Wars Battlefront as cheaply as possible wouldn't you look to see what you could use?

Anyway as I (also) said it could just as easily be making use of staff who worked on SWTOR.

Regarding cash shop revenue as many posters have pointed out people who play eventually get to a point were they have no need to spend any money. Or they get a sub once every few months etc. This Is not something unique to SWTOR it happens to F2P games in general (hence Zynga laying off another 500 staff last month). And in 2traditional" sub based games subs peak and then decline. EA only have so much money and they have said what their future portfolio is going forward - and  SWTOR is no longer part of the plan.

Conclusion: enjoy SWTOR as it is but don't expect it to change much if at all or to last forever.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

I think its kind of a lost cause. Numbers wise, it's still hanging on, but it just doesn't have any lasting appeal.

I've maxed out every char. class that I care to play, which is almost all of them, from both paths. Ran one or 2 through all the new expansion content. I just don't care  enough to log in.... 1st couple of play throughs, it was a good game, then each new toon, you are less and less excited about revisiting certain planets, then even planets that you previously really liked, you want to skip those too until finally you just stop paying for it.

It would take a MAJOR major expansion to move this game forward, and I don't think it has the umph to do it. It will be strung along, populations will drop, servers will merge again until they finally pull the plug.

I don't hate SWTOR, I had some really good times playing it, it's just going to face the same problems as any themepark game, eventually everyone gets tired of the same old rides.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    It can't recover as far as I am concerned. Unless...they figure out a way to open the worlds up for exploration, revamp the weak crafting system, and lift armor/weapon restrictions.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by exwin

I think its kind of a lost cause. Numbers wise, it's still hanging on, but it just doesn't have any lasting appeal.

I've maxed out every char. class that I care to play, which is almost all of them, from both paths. Ran one or 2 through all the new expansion content. I just don't care  enough to log in.... 1st couple of play throughs, it was a good game, then each new toon, you are less and less excited about revisiting certain planets, then even planets that you previously really liked, you want to skip those too until finally you just stop paying for it.

It would take a MAJOR major expansion to move this game forward, and I don't think it has the umph to do it. It will be strung along, populations will drop, servers will merge again until they finally pull the plug.

I don't hate SWTOR, I had some really good times playing it, it's just going to face the same problems as any themepark game, eventually everyone gets tired of the same old rides.

I agree. I got through the game once, and I tried leveling alts (some even into the 40's), but I just couldn't bring myself to log in anymore so I cancelled. It is a shallow, theme park  MMO and it should've been so much more. SWTOR's best days are well behind it, but I am sure it keep running until EA/Bioware feels it is not financially advantageous to continue.

I don't see how any kind of expansion will reverse the course SWTOR is on. I enjoyed the time I played, but even the new content that was recently released couldn't bring me back.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

i think most agree , it's a great game. The problem is that it just completely ends once you get through the story. It's not much more complicated than that. THis is why the cartel is so successful, it really gets people at the early levels.

I sincerely wish this game would offer more. I find myself moving away from the typical mmo's and am playing more games like chronoblade, defiance, d3 etc.. Started dust 514 a bit too.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112
    It has already. Get in servers and see yourself.
This discussion has been closed.