Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've never played EQ2 (or EQ1). should I?

SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

Hey everybody.. Well that's really all there is to this thread. I've played WoW since 2004, and just like most of us, I'm just sick of it. I can't make another toon, I've made them all / leveled them all. It's just getting too repetitive.. more of a chore than an enjoyable time.

I've heard that EQ2 has phenomenal housing (something i'm looking for) as well as an actual community. Other than the game obviously being some what dated, what are the draw-backs? Should I download EQ2 and give it a shot? Do you think i'll enjoy myself? Should I do it to catch up on what is going on before EQN? Or do you think i'll find myself doing the same old grind grind grind..

OR if anyone knows of any games LIKE EQ2 that may be worth a look, please feel free to suggest it. THANKS!

Comments

• CamoebCamoeb Member UncommonPosts: 53

EQ2 is an excellent game with a ton of content in it. Since it's F2P it really can't hurt to try it. With 25 different classes there's bound to be something that will fit your play style. The game has a very strong community behind it which I always felt was something WoW was lacking on.

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Camoeb

EQ2 is an excellent game with a ton of content in it. Since it's F2P it really can't hurt to try it. With 25 different classes there's bound to be something that will fit your play style. The game has a very strong community behind it which I always felt was something WoW was lacking on.

Awesome. I'm a huuuuge fan of community in MMORPG's. It's one of the main things I look for. And WoW nowadays (back in vanilla and mostly TBC they had one) but there is NO community. Everything is automated. So i'm currently downloading AoC: Unchained and EQ2. Any thoughts on AoC?

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    I bounce between Eq2 and Rift. They are both free to play, and they both have tons of different classes to try. If you are an alt-ahaulic, like me, you will love to try both of these games.  Rift imho, has better graphics. But Eq2 community is better.  That is my 2 cents. 
    Originally posted by jacktors
    I bounce between Eq2 and Rift. They are both free to play, and they both have tons of different classes to try. If you are an alt-ahaulic, like me, you will love to try both of these games.  Rift imho, has better graphics. But Eq2 community is better.  That is my 2 cents. 

Ahh yes, Rift. One of my favorites. Mainly because it broke the spell WoW had on me for the longest time. I still play from time to time, but I mostly just hop on my RP toon and goof off, help lows, and build my house more. I don't have any problems with Rift, I'm just trying to take a few steps back from the WoW feel.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The only two cents I can add about EQ2 is the crafting.  That's probably the funnest crafting I have seen in an MMO.  Your toon can actually get hurt and you have to pay attention during the actual process.  I can't remember how useful the crafted items are though, but probably like most other MMOs, useless unless you want to sell certain niche items.  Also there is just tons of quest content to do.   You WILL be out-leveling quests left and right, so it depends on how much of a completionist you are.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by rodingo
    The only two cents I can add about EQ2 is the crafting.  That's probably the funnest crafting I have seen in an MMO.  Your toon can actually get hurt and you have to pay attention during the actual process.

Like RL, I have seen grown up men separate fingers from their hands while using automatic saws lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Muke
    The only two cents I can add about EQ2 is the crafting.  That's probably the funnest crafting I have seen in an MMO.  Your toon can actually get hurt and you have to pay attention during the actual process.

Like RL, I have seen grown up men separate fingers from their hands while using automatic saws lol.

Ouch!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

For the purpose of catching up before eqnext, I dont see much reason to play either. Do they keep some of the lore from EQ to EqNext at all ? Even if they do, playign Eq2 (500 years after eq) will only add to the confusion as its lore is build on Eq lore.

Eq and Eq2 are two very very different games, and Eq2 can't begin to compare to the EQ experience, however getting started on EQ at this point is .. well too late, and comming from WoW it will feel very outdated to You. Eq2 is a nice little game but it will teach You nothing about what Eq was, on the other hand it might be possible to people to level with and soloing is also possible in eq2. If there was a progression EQ server starting up, I would say go for EQ to try what a real mmorpg is about, but on a live server You will only find raiders who occasionally power level an alt and soloing in EQ is extremely difficult.

Maybe a better deal is to try out Vanguard, in my opinion a better game than Eq2 for the most parts, and more in the spirit of EQ. Eq2 or Vanguard are probably pretty equal when it comes to amount of content, and Vanguard is a more interesting game.. both depends on finding some other people to hang out with while levelling, otherwise it will get lonely and You will miss 9/10th of the fun aswell.

Or go completely out and jump on EVE to get owned and experience that wondrous sandbox feel (yes that was sarkasm).

Originally posted by kjempff

For the purpose of catching up before eqnext, I dont see much reason to play either. Do they keep some of the lore from EQ to EqNext at all ? Even if they do, playign Eq2 (500 years after eq) will only add to the confusion as its lore is build on Eq lore.

Eq and Eq2 are two very very different games, and Eq2 can't begin to compare to the EQ experience, however getting started on EQ at this point is .. well too late, and comming from WoW it will feel very outdated to You. Eq2 is a nice little game but it will teach You nothing about what Eq was, on the other hand it might be possible to people to level with and soloing is also possible in eq2. If there was a progression EQ server starting up, I would say go for EQ to try what a real mmorpg is about, but on a live server You will only find raiders who occasionally power level an alt and soloing in EQ is extremely difficult.

Maybe a better deal is to try out Vanguard, in my opinion a better game than Eq2 for the most parts, and more in the spirit of EQ. Eq2 or Vanguard are probably pretty equal when it comes to amount of content, and Vanguard is a more interesting game.. both depends on finding some other people to hang out with while levelling, otherwise it will get lonely and You will miss 9/10th of the fun aswell.

Or go completely out and jump on EVE to get owned and experience that wondrous sandbox feel (yes that was sarkasm).

Well thank-you very much for your two cents. You have a very valid point, I didn't even consider the first EQ. I'd have a lot of catching up to do lol. But i've been told more than once than Vanguard although very small in players, is a great experience/replacement for EQ. Updated and polished. Again, thanks. I think I'll have to try Vanguard. And with that being said, if anybody is interested in starting Vanguard with me, please feel free to PM me or post on here! (But this is a EQ2 thread, stay on topic)

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Missed the best time to played it but there shouldn't be any reason not to start it up if you haven't done so before. It has instanced housing and a really mature and helpful community. It's quite easy to find friends there.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    Its free to play on the EQ and EQ2 test servers and there is a decent sized community on them because they give you free gold membership + every expansion + double xp + all vet rewards
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

If you want the old EQ experience, or the closest you can actually get to it, install EQ1, play either a Wood Elf/High Elf or a Barbarian/Human/Half-Elf. The starting areas are what most people remember. They have a tutorial and I would suggest playing that once, with a either a dummy character or until you ding level 10 or so then take the tunnel to PoK(Plane of Knowledge) and then find the stone to reach Qeynos or Kelethin. On character creation you can turn off the tutorial, it's an entirely different zone/starting area.

During your time exploring the new zones, make sure you go to Crushbone near Kelethin, the tree city. Or go to Blackburrow near Qeynos.

Once you have fun in those places, head out into the Plains of Karana( there are 4 of them, East, West, north and south) and also travel south of Freeport to the Deserts of Ro. Take a long glance at the Sand Giants roaming through the area. Maybe Google EQ1 Sand Giant trains or Fancy the Bard for entertainment while you download the game.

In PoK you can hire a mercenary to help you along your journey. And most of all, have fun and take your time.

Once you hit 35+ head to Guk in the Innothule Swamp south of the Desert of Ro and make sure you bind in the Guild Lobby. Find your way through the maze of Upper Guk and explore lower Guk, they are separate zones. Lower Guk was THE spot in EQ1 before any expansions, well that and Sol B.

Everyone who played EQ has their favorite places, but to me, these zones just make the experience that much better.

• napprognapprog Member Posts: 14

download, it is free. register on the Antonia Bayle server, and try it. its an amazing game and graphically better than EQ1 and VG.

yes, those other games have a deeper class interdependency, and it is easier to solo in EQ2, which i feel is needed nowadays as server pop is down comapred to years ago. but the community is active, and friendly, and most likely, if you join a guild, they will set you up to coast throguh to lvl 20-30 with gear and assistance

im Deathusen on AB server, say hi.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I disagree that it's graphically better than Vanguard, but both would be good games to play while waiting for EQN or ArcheAge as they're both F2P and have tons of content.
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    The only two cents I can add about EQ2 is the crafting.  That's probably the funnest crafting I have seen in an MMO.  Your toon can actually get hurt and you have to pay attention during the actual process.  I can't remember how useful the crafted items are though, but probably like most other MMOs, useless unless you want to sell certain niche items.  Also there is just tons of quest content to do.   You WILL be out-leveling quests left and right, so it depends on how much of a completionist you are.

I recall there being decent demand for crafted consumables (food, drink, potions, arrows) and furniture. Crafted weapons and armor come in two tiers: regular and Mastercrafted. The regular is a bit lower than typical loots and quest awards. The MC gear falls between the loot drops and the really good stuff; you can go a very long way on just the Mastercrafted stuff. It tends to be expensive because making it requires harvesting or buying a "rare" resource.

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

These are my opinions and while I don't complain about trivial crap in MMOs, I also am not easily impressed. I use my own judgement on if a game is good or bad. I played WoW since beta and like you I got tired of it about a year ago.

I played EQ1 before that and the only thing I don't like about it is the interface. It's old and dated in that aspect. I played RPGs, so graphics aren't what pulls me in. It's the depth of character development and the open world. EQ1 has that.

EQ2 while is a newer (newer than EQ1, lol) game, with newer graphics. I personally do not like the zoning and instance feel it has. The UI is better than EQ1 and there is tons of class and character building through (AA) alternate advancement line to create a character that fits your play style.

RIFT is great and while linear too. It has the most classes of any MMO. over 200 class combinations and it plays the most like WoW. It is completely free. They have a nice cash shop for armor skins and mounts and such but its not required to play. It is the BEST F2P model out.

EQ1 and EQ2 are not 100% F2P to get the most enjoyment if you are an ALTaHOLIC, like me (you have to buy extra character slots, chat is limited). They have all the races and class available, but some things you can't do w/o subbing and I wouldn't dare sub $15 for game that old. They really need to drop the sub prices or use RIFT's model.

I know EQ2 has a very user friendly guild system and friendly community that is VERY helpful. I am sure EQ1 is the same.

Anyways, Rift would be my first choice; however, it is the game that is the closest to what WoW (PVE and PVP) is but still some new things to check out. EQ2 is a different beast, but it's so Linear and the PVP is all the about the twinks, noobs need not apply. I hope all of our information helps you. DL them both and try them both, No one said you had to stick to one MMO. I play several.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

Hey everybody.. Well that's really all there is to this thread. I've played WoW since 2004, and just like most of us, I'm just sick of it. I can't make another toon, I've made them all / leveled them all. It's just getting too repetitive.. more of a chore than an enjoyable time.

I've heard that EQ2 has phenomenal housing (something i'm looking for) as well as an actual community. Other than the game obviously being some what dated, what are the draw-backs? Should I download EQ2 and give it a shot? Do you think i'll enjoy myself? Should I do it to catch up on what is going on before EQN? Or do you think i'll find myself doing the same old grind grind grind..

OR if anyone knows of any games LIKE EQ2 that may be worth a look, please feel free to suggest it. THANKS!

Eq2 is agreat game and lots of fun , espaecially if ypou have never experienced EQ.. grab the streaming client on a trial and you will playing in minutes.. finish the  starter island and get to mainland .. great fun