Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Richard Pearsey Tasked with Game's Story

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red 5 has announced that the writer of Spec Ops: The Line has joined the Firefall team and will be heading up the development of the story line. 

Yet in spite of this wealth of resources, the task he is faced with is not a small one. His job: take the hundreds of pages of backstory and history that have been created for this game over the span of several years, by a variety of developers, and weave those details into a narrative that can support hundreds of hours of play and survive being cut into dozens of shreds compatible with being digested in short, MMO-style missions, playable in any order, at any time.

Source: Polygon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Good god, are they trying to go for the "longest game to make" and "longest game in beta" awards?

Smile

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Do this game really need a detail story sense the gameplay focus more on pvp?
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Etherignis

Tbh I don't think they know what they want.

It is way beyond time that they started adding some content to firefall, but unless they change things(again) and make it viable to progress(or do what passes for progress) with this content it may end up being a waste of money(again).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    It is way beyond time that they started adding some content to firefall, but unless they change things(again) and make it viable to progress(or do what passes for progress) with this content it may end up being a waste of money(again).

In the last Firefall live they said that they're adding new areas(4 I think), and a lot of other "Content". The next update, which is later this week I think, is probably going to be as big or bigger than the .6 update. It's good that they are having a guy re-work and flesh-out the backstory so they can put it into the game(At least a bit more).

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

They focus heavily on PvP, but they do focus on PvE. They have a ton of lore set already, good PvE components(Some of the best at the moment), ect..so why not expand upon that? You PvPers will get your Open-world PvP and stuff soon, probably post-open beta. Let them focus on PvE a bit more before then.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

obviously the people commenting here about the game dont play it-or dont care about  Red5 bench mark timeline to know where they are at with the game= which they are on schedule btw!. so as a firefall player i will comment.

this is great news and cant wait to see what Richard comes up with. its been long over due and i hope they add some good storyline like Borderlands2!

iam looking forward to see what the Chosen's goal is to take over new eden!!

also very happy they didnt go with Orson Scott (political reasons)

:)

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    And they wonder why people said this game has no content once open beta was announced.  They just hired the guy to start doing the quests and story?  This game is a train wreck.

Steam: Neph

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Its ok Richard I got this for you. Once upon a time, no wait...... Once upon a dark and dreadful time ... doh.... ok I got it....... Once upon a long time ago.... yeah thats it. Ok...... Once upon a long time ago there was this fire and it fell down. War engulfed the nations and battle ensued. My father was killed and I shall seek my revenge in the year 2020 come join me in the epic alpha launch on November 8th 2020 in operation ( deep grumbling ) FireFaLL!!! (Aundelie Aundelie arriba arriba)
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    @Digirono the reason i said that because this game was more leaning towards pvp, then pve and now they decide too add i just have a bad feeling between pvp or pve one content will be sacrifice.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    @Digirono the reason i said that because this game was more leaning towards pvp, then pve and now they decide too add i just have a bad feeling between pvp or pve one content will be sacrifice.

Just because PvP was added first doesn't mean PvE was never planed for the game. Some of the very first trailers for the game showed thumping and bug killing.

We can joke about this game spinning it's wheel for far too long but the devs are very talented people when it comes to game making. I'm not going to waste my time in betas anymore while they mess about but if they ever do make a "finished" product I'll for sure play it. Till then it's just a game that you hear about once in a while.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Good god, are they trying to go for the "longest game to make" and "longest game in beta" awards?

Doubtful. Duke Nukem has the Life Time Achievement award for that, and we saw how that turned out (double face palm).

I'm hoping that things work out for Firefall. It has a great deal of potential, and Red5 has a lot of very creative and talented people.  Lets see how the next few months work out.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by orbitxo

obviously the people commenting here about the game dont play it-or dont care about  Red5 bench mark timeline to know where they are at with the game= which they are on schedule btw!. so as a firefall player i will comment.

this is great news and cant wait to see what Richard comes up with. its been long over due and i hope they add some good storyline like Borderlands2!

I've always enjoyed Cards books.  Unlike some people, I separate talent from personal agenda.  He is a very talented writer, and I really do not care how UN PC his personal opinions are.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Wraithone

I've always enjoyed Cards books.  Unlike some people, I separate talent from personal agenda.  He is a very talented writer, and I really do not care how UN PC his personal opinions are.

ive also have Un PC in the past .. 'an artist is an artist.'....- but lately ive felt the urge  not to praise their talents.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

What schedule is that? I was playing Beta last year around this time.

Smile

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

This is VERY VERY VERY good.

The storyline of Spec Ops:The line has been one of the best and most disturbing stories told in games. 

If someone still has not played it, they should.  its very good at getting an emotional response from you, as well as showcasing the things games like Call of Duty glorify, for what they truly are. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by Yuui

This is VERY VERY VERY good.

The storyline of Spec Ops:The line has been one of the best and most disturbing stories told in games. 

If someone still has not played it, they should.  its very good at getting an emotional response from you, as well as showcasing the things games like Call of Duty glorify, for what they truly are. 

Soldiers kill people and break things. Thats just part of their job.   Anyone attempting to ignore or glorify that, is obviously pushing an agenda.  Bottom line, if you don't want people killed, and things broken, don't send in soldiers. 

Game wise, its just part of the over all thoughtless application of violence, that we've seen for generations.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

Good knews in my opinion.

Spec Ops The Line had an amazing story, which caught me by surprise completely once i started playing that since i was expecting a decent brainless shooter, and that game proved to be much more.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Since they changed a lot of the foundation in 0.6, they've been able to work on more content.  I'm glad to see even more is coming with the next patch.  ARES missions and other activities in the game keep me busy and with resources for everything I don't have to thump much anymore to get what I need.

I see a lot of people complain that the game is taking too long, but people complain when companies rush things out, too.  At least they're actually fixing and changing the game to make it more fun rather than keep running with a poor design (like most companies do).

Originally posted by Razeekster

What schedule is that? I was playing Beta last year around this time.

They had a timeline graph on the beta website somewhere and was also on some of the loading screens showing you what they should have been working on but weren't.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    The first time I played this game was at Pax East..... 3 years ago. It was in beta then. It's still in beta now. Talented De team? Maybe, but they'll never be able to shine with the horrific management they have in place.

Joined - July 2004

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    You have to wonder how they are staying funded.  Every time I read about this game it is going in a different direction.  The management teams needs a real kick in the ass to choose a design and then stay on task.  
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    You have to wonder how they are staying funded.  Every time I read about this game it is going in a different direction.  The management teams needs a real kick in the ass to choose a design and then stay on task.  

That's called LISTENING TO THE FANBASE.

The devs throw out what does not work and refine what does. 

it simply is not a marketing beta but a true beta and most of games develop this way. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON