Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VERY long and detailed interview with Miguel Caron

Here's another interview with Miguel Caron (head of Online studio for WH40K: EC)

It's VERY long, so bring cookies :D

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/14/interview-warhammer-40000-eternal-crusades-miguel-caron-shares-his-vision-for-a-next-gen-mmorpg/

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    I'll spend some time playing as one of the Boyz and if I like it I will put more money into the orks, likely gonna invest into the Imperial Guard as well if/when they launch them.

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179
    I really like the sound of this, it literally is a war zone, no ''we have to tweak this its unfair.'' War is war, play how you want, and make the other teams suffer.. just brutal open war.  artillery ..vechiles  and ranking systems sound fantastic ... Im cautiously optimistic, it's all words right now, but the passion sounds great.
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Imperial guard would be awesome...I remember my friend had  the Tanks from imperial guard the best tanks in game

I had a box set of Orcs from warhammer 40k...so much fun painting those things

to bad I don't have any of my figures anymore...somehow I lost a full box set of orcs......makes me sad to think that lol was like 14 years ago

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Not sure I liked his answer about it being massive PvP where no one matters.  I got that feeling in PS2 on a much smaller scale, and it was boring as hell.  I guess we will have to wait and see what it looks like, but if it's just "thousand of players" spamming weapons and killing people in broad swaths, I'll be bored with the game inside of a week.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Not sure I liked his answer about it being massive PvP where no one matters.  I got that feeling in PS2 on a much smaller scale, and it was boring as hell.  I guess we will have to wait and see what it looks like, but if it's just "thousand of players" spamming weapons and killing people in broad swaths, I'll be bored with the game inside of a week.

It also said that smarter players could try and bypass the main zones of conflict to wreak havoc on supply lines, outposts, etc.

Originally posted by Grimula

Imperial guard would be awesome...I remember my friend had  the Tanks from imperial guard the best tanks in game

I had a box set of Orcs from warhammer 40k...so much fun painting those things

to bad I don't have any of my figures anymore...somehow I lost a full box set of orcs......makes me sad to think that lol was like 14 years ago

Orks and Imperial guard are my favourites but the latter will be hard to get right in a fun way ( starter characters would be Imperial Guardsmen... need I say what having a long range cigar lighter and cardboard armour feels like when combating orks let alone power armoured foes? XD)... one can hope though that some of the planets you will fight on have a Planetary Defence Force (the basis from which Imperial Guard Regiments are drawn) so that orks can get the option to loot vehicles from them (Looted Leman Russes are something I really wanna see and possibly even have :D).

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Dihoru

It also said that smarter players could try and bypass the main zones of conflict to wreak havoc on supply lines, outposts, etc.

"Mass World" zerg-bash-rawr PVP needs to be included, as some people seem to really enjoy it (but as MT points out, it's often not much of a "thinking man's" game).

Without reaching for Instances. Hmmm. That actually is some serious food for thought--how to encourage small groups in Open combat. Non-trivial problem.

Originally posted by Antiquated

"Mass World" zerg-bash-rawr PVP needs to be included, as some people seem to really enjoy it (but as MT points out, it's often not much of a "thinking man's" game).

Without reaching for Instances. Hmmm. That actually is some serious food for thought--how to encourage small groups in Open combat. Non-trivial problem.

They could enforce deployment costs or some such for the more powerful forces (such as the SM and CSM) or powerful units and by having vulnerable supply lines all over a planet and if the combat zones are prolific enough and large enough then... zergs would be as ineffective as they are in real life (aside from the Soviet Army in World War 2 I can't think of a single instance in modern military history where a zerg was flat out victorious in a war and if by some chance that could turn out to be the case in-game... I'd imagine that much biomass in one area would attract tyranids).

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    I can't think of a single instance in modern military history where a zerg was flat out victorious in a war and if by some chance that could turn out to be the case in-game... I'd imagine that much biomass in one area would attract tyranids).

Comparing PVP in any game to actual military--well, the soldiers don't get up and run back into combat after dying. Let's just say that actual parallels between war and PVP aren't many.

Hmm, a good typhus epidemic? Too slow, and it's punishing the zerg players, rather than encouraging the small unit fans (backwards).

I can't think of a single instance in modern military history where a zerg was flat out victorious in a war and if by some chance that could turn out to be the case in-game... I'd imagine that much biomass in one area would attract tyranids).

Comparing PVP in any game to actual military--well, the soldiers don't get up and run back into combat after dying. Let's just say that actual parallels between war and PVP aren't many.

Hmm, a good typhus epidemic? Too slow, and it's punishing the zerg players, rather than encouraging the small unit fans (backwards).

Considering that the guy stated in the interview that the game is going more for realism in a military sense without compromising the fun aspect you kinda show your hand here at not reading the entire thing. If the conflict is planetary scale and you have hundreds or thousands of players within just one fight (potentially) then let me ask you this: what is keeping the enemy from stalling you on that battlefield and deploying troops in a scissor to encircle and crush your zerg? I mean lets assume that when that guy said realism that ammo will be an issue, fuel as well, food, etc, if you have a zerg of players trying to push along a front  they invariably focus on one area more than the rest which leads to the issue of encirclement if the defenders lines are strong or if that side is fighting a mobile defence.

We just don't know what to expect from this game though, the words seem promising and I am more than willing to give them the chance to see if they pull it off.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

All the RL - to Game IP comparisons aside, this could be a very exciting title if they deliver on what was implied and what was said.  Hard to get excited with the rash of garbage that has been releasing recently, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on this title.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I quickly became bored with GW2 WvW because of this too.  I'll never enjoy a zergfest.  There needs to be mechanics to encourage small tactical groups, and they need to matter.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

I quickly became bored with GW2 WvW because of this too.  I'll never enjoy a zergfest.  There needs to be mechanics to encourage small tactical groups, and they need to matter.

Bigger battlefields which are interlinked with logistics factored in is the answer. Small tactical groups insert behind enemy lines and cause havoc with supply lines and communication thus ensuring the zerg on the frontline becomes disorganized and more poorly supplied thus easier to defeat. You matter and zerg tactics matter in the grand scheme of things and ironically one counters the other in a indirect fashion. Forcing anyone to play to a playstyle that isn't theirs is flat out wrong, the best way to do things is to have everyone's preferred playstyle be relevant and in a planetary scale invasion tactical groups can be very relevant (you could play as a tactical marine inserted as part of a squad to cause havoc and divert resources for as long as possible, you could play as a ork kommando, a eldar ranger or the chaos equivalent... gods I hope the CSM will be Alpha Legion).

The game has potential, lets see if they make what they said a reality.

• miguelcaronmiguelcaron Studio Head - BehaviourMember UncommonPosts: 70

Dear fans, I am overwhelm with your Support. The team and I are reading (trying too anyway) all your posts. I have decided on a different marketing and PR approach: NO firewall between you and the team. No traditional ''CONTROLING THE MESSAGE'' philosophy.

Its a risk, we will make mistake but at the end of the day how can we make YOUR game without YOUR inputs. I dont wear pink glasses, I know that pleasing all will be difficult (not to say impossible) but being directly connected to our fans will help.

The TEAM and I have no EGO (We do have Pride) so we can handle tough love from you. We will always take your critics in a positive way.

So in the upcoming weeks you will see some of your dev including David your Creative Director posting on this forums.

I need one favor from you please; could you tell your friends in this forums to try focus comments/suggestions in only one place since it is becoming heavy to search all and not miss any. Please be patient as well, I am sure we agree that making the game as to come first so we do our best to be as present as possible on this forum.

MindTrigger You got it right, SOME of the Gameplay does feel like PS2 X2 + Persistancy + some Emperor Objective (making a joke here... I mean PvE) and a big focus on WAR. Massive PvP driven my the Players WAR Objectives.

Watch out for our first newsletter coming tomorrow.

And for those who doubt us or Behaviour.... I have only one thing to say:

The Emperor will not judge us by our medals and diplomas but by our scars.

Regards

Miguel

Your no so dead Game Emperor!

Studio Head of Behaviour Entertainment on WAR40K: Eternal Crusade

I forgot, one more point PLEASE stop talking about us using 3rd Person!! :-) We are here!!

Reason begets doubt; Doubt begets heresy

:-)

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341

may the emperor judge you if you are a fake :D

i have so many ideas for the game and now i will get them in a presentable shape and get them on OUR idea thread in this forum:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/954/view/forums/thread/387843/what-should-be-in-the-game.html

enjoy reading ^^ actually im working on a detailed armor system :D

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

This quote right here tells me that this guy 'gets it.'

"There are no good guys, everyone is a bad guy, and ultimately we know that the baddest of them all — the forces of Chaos — will win in one way or another, but they’ll win an universe that’s completely taken over by the Tyranids anyway."

Boy I would love to get into alpha when it becomes available.  The lore in this game is gonna be dripping.  Very excited.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

The only real thing that bothered me was how he talked about "if a player spends $200"

I can accept paying for a faction.... but a bunch of microtransactions that affect the character after that (beyond animations or some cosmetics) makes me very very sad.

I simply wont play pay to win.... even though i can afford to win.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by steamtank

The only real thing that bothered me was how he talked about "if a player spends $200"

I can accept paying for a faction.... but a bunch of microtransactions that affect the character after that (beyond animations or some cosmetics) makes me very very sad.

Valid point for sure.  I'm hoping that's just a number he threw out there as an example of someone who's REALLY into the game and not something that will be required to advance in the game.  That said, if the game is that awesome - I could see myself spending that much.  I'm a real fanboy of the IP though and have been waiting for a game like this for some time.  I really hope it does turn out awesome, but reserving my excitement.  We still have a long wait to see how this all shakes out.

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by steamtank

Valid point for sure.  I'm hoping that's just a number he threw out there as an example of someone who's REALLY into the game and not something that will be required to advance in the game.  That said, if the game is that awesome - I could see myself spending that much.  I'm a real fanboy of the IP though and have been waiting for a game like this for some time.  I really hope it does turn out awesome, but reserving my excitement.  We still have a long wait to see how this all shakes out.

hm ya long 18 months wait :( (minimum!!)

im getting so much more excited then for dark millenium couse the interview is so detailed >.<

every free minute im thinking what i would like to do in the game :/

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

Thanks!..... Its kind of Scary that you and I love an IP where there is no hope but only WAR!!  :-)

:-)

SteamTank, I was saying as an example between committed players and free players. The 200$ was just an exageration to describe a committed players to the Media.

I said it many time in forum and Media. I HATE pay to Win. This is a promise I can tell you it will NOT be Pay to Win.

Regards

Miguel

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Originally posted by miguelcaron

Dear fans, I am overwhelm with your Support. The team and I are reading (trying too anyway) all your posts. I have decided on a different marketing and PR approach: NO firewall between you and the team. No traditional ''CONTROLING THE MESSAGE'' philosophy.

Its a risk, we will make mistake but at the end of the day how can we make YOUR game without YOUR inputs. I dont wear pink glasses, I know that pleasing all will be difficult (not to say impossible) but being directly connected to our fans will help.

The TEAM and I have no EGO (We do have Pride) so we can handle tough love from you. We will always take your critics in a positive way.

So in the upcoming weeks you will see some of your dev including David your Creative Director posting on this forums.

I need one favor from you please; could you tell your friends in this forums to try focus comments/suggestions in only one place since it is becoming heavy to search all and not miss any. Please be patient as well, I am sure we agree that making the game as to come first so we do our best to be as present as possible on this forum.

MindTrigger You got it right, SOME of the Gameplay does feel like PS2 X2 + Persistancy + some Emperor Objective (making a joke here... I mean PvE) and a big focus on WAR. Massive PvP driven my the Players WAR Objectives.

Watch out for our first newsletter coming tomorrow.

And for those who doubt us or Behaviour.... I have only one thing to say:

The Emperor will not judge us by our medals and diplomas but by our scars.

Regards

Miguel

Your no so dead Game Emperor!

Yeah miguel. The red part is the result of our Dark reapers lol. Why be so...fatalistic? We Eldar are well...doomed, but that does not mean that we will just flip over and worship death(as your foolish Imperium does). We will fight our way out of extinction with our last breath if need be :).

Anyhow. Prey tell, which Craftworld are we talking about? Can I get A? and then L? And then A again. I for Isha. T for...? O for the 360 degrees each one of us has to pass in life. And finally C for the win! You get it :)

Pretty please?

I will ask David your creative to come and answer some of your questions in this forum. Please be patient since after E3 we are crazy busy.

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Firstly, thanks for getting in the trenches with us Miguel. Keep it up and you'll win hearts and minds with that alone.

I normally don't like doing this, because I know that you guys are professionals and I wouldn't tell anyone else how to do their job. But with regard to the earlier mention of small tactical units vs large armies, I couldn't help but pitch an idea I've had about other RvR games. Warhammer Online in particular ran into the problem of giant blobs of players running from objective to objective avoiding a fight rather than figuring out a way to overcome the odds so they could farm renown. 

What I propose to you guys is the same as what I suggested to them: Take a warhammer approach to it. The tabletop game plays out a small scale skirmish in the case of a normal game, or a much larger engagement in the case of an Apocalypse game. Both have objectives and both are (presumably) equally important.

My suggestion as far as translating that into a fun and engaging experience for us was to split the campaign into two phases: Skirmishes and battles. During skirmishes, the whole map is open for resource gathering, encouraging smaller groups of players to spread out and establish map control in whatever way they feel like. Then when one side gathered enough resources, they could launch an assault on a major strategic point (keeps for warhammer online, could be a production facility or whatever other strategic location you feel like) which forced a larger scale battle with clear victory conditions for both sides. That way, no one group feels shut out of the game, and we're not stuck doing the same thing in every campaign.

Again, apologies for my idea plugging. 

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by miguelcaron

SteamTank, I was saying as an example between committed players and free players. The 200$ was just an exageration to describe a committed players to the Media.

I said it many time in forum and Media. I HATE pay to Win. This is a promise I can tell you it will NOT be Pay to Win.

Regards

Miguel

Oh snap ^_^

well i will stay tuned then!

thank you for addressing a concern

any chance on us knowing when to look for an official post on examples of what will and wont be in the cash shop? Or is that not hashed out yet?

examples of potential cash shop stuff (good and bad): additional bag slots, driving vehicles, unique armor colors, unique sigels, xp boosts, vertical grade abilities,  unique heads/hairsytles, tier loot, potions, additional character slots, mini pets

also you said the b2p aspect would cost less than GW2... did you mean per faction purchase or all factions combined?

• EightBitNinjaEightBitNinja Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Can't wait for that newsletter! :D