Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help a soldier out!

demonofice23demonofice23 Member Posts: 5
I'm deploying to Afghanistan in about a month and need some good games to play on my laptop that will eat up a lot of time. Obviously they should be playable without internet not too picky with what genre. Any suggestion will help please and thanks :D

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by demonofice23
    I'm deploying to Afghanistan in about a month and need some good games to play on my laptop that will eat up a lot of time. Obviously they should be playable without internet not too picky with what genre. Any suggestion will help please and thanks :D

I highly suggest an RPG or open world game.  Those tend to take the most time to complete.  Perhaps the Mass Effect Trilogy; with all the sidequests, I averaged about a hundred hours each.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

mass effect and dragon age are awesome games and I think they're on sale. Civ 5 if you like that type of game can eat up your whole life.

Being in the military you might enjoy a game called panzer corps http://www.slitherine.com/games/panzer_corps_pc Very time consuming and fun. It's based off the old panzer general game.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I would say Terraria, even though you have already played it to death probably. Also, Project Zomboid. Dwarf Fortress. X3 could eat up your entire deployment. Distant Worlds(buy all the expansions with it, expensive but worth it) or Stardrive for the strategy side of things.

Also, bring something that you can mod/create content for like Neverwinter Nights, because, from my experience, you will get pretty creative while deployed and want an outlet. Further, get some friends to get the same game so you can share content.  Just don't get anything too internet reliant, because on the major FOB you can get internet, you never know when you will be moved to an outpost.

Good luck and keep your head low.

Exp- 3 tours OIF/OEF

• thebigfreakthebigfreak Member Posts: 1
    Having done two tours myself I found that good old RPGs are great fallout 2 and even fallout 3 ,baldars gate, never winter nights. Good place to look is good old games all drm free and steam as well. All depends what your into and just a heads up you won't get as much down time as you think. Best of luck mate
  • demonofice23demonofice23 Member Posts: 5

Thanks for all the suggestions guys especially the ones from people with deployment experience it's much appreciated!

• madnosmadnos Member Posts: 84

I have no advice on that.

But as a Vet . . I just want to say thanks for your service.

Good Luck in your future endeavors. 

Edit : And that "Thanks"  goes towards all that responsed also :)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Agree with all the posters suggesting old school RPGs. Especially Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights etc. 

Just wanted to add in that any open world games should be good for you. Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row etc

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Pick one or some of The elder scrolls, they last for a long time  and are great in my opinion.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    If you're into grand strategy games at all, you could find hours of free time devoured by Paradox Interactive's games.  Specifically Europa Universalis III and Crusader Kings 2.  They've got a huge scope, a hardy learning curve, and a ton of replayability. 
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Honestly, grab a cribbage game/application too.    I can semi-mindlessly play cribbage for hours if I am in a position of forced non-activity :).
  • darkbirddarkbird Member Posts: 11

I've never been a soldier myself, but I have a few gamer-soldier friends who often talk about what they did overseas. The most popular amongst them from what I have see are immersive open world games, and I think it's pretty obvious why (A nice bit of escapism from the shit happening all around you.)

That said, I have a few recommendations to make based on their feedback:

1) The Mass Effect trilogy is good if you can tolerate an older game (The first game feels quite dated, although its still amazing. The second and third feel much more modern.) 

- Sci-fi opera.

- Very immersive.

- Fun combat (in the second and third; the first is pretty dated, and feels closer to traditional RPG combat.)

- AMAZING story and cast of believable characters.

- An entire universe to save and explore.

2) Skyrim. (And again, if you're feeling adventurous, the previous two games in the series Morrowind and Oblivion are both amazing.)

- Drops a character of your design right into an elaborate and beautiful fantasy world that is literally your plaything.

- Do pretty much whatever you want. (Murder, steal, be honorable, help others, save the world, become a vampire, become a werewolf, become... other things.)

- Fight the way you want. Magic in one hand and a sword in the other? Check. Sneak around with a bow? Sure. Giant ass two handed bastard sword? Why not. Platemail and a shield and a terrifying mace? Okay. You get it.

3) Bioshock: Infinite. (This one deviates from the others. It's not open world [although the world you are given is pretty well sized and fun to explore] and it is more narrative driven. Also, it has two previous games as well, and both are amazing and not at all dated like the two titles I listed above. They are not required to understand the game in the slightest, but you will miss 1 or 2 references.)

- Kill racists by setting them on fire.

- Engage with one of the most believable created NPCs I've ever seen in a video game

- Again, a truly legendary story, narrative, and voice-acting/dialogue. Not to be missed.

4) Dishonored. (Similar to Bioshock above.)

- Sneak around as a goddamn ninja-assassin who has been dishonored by the shitty actions of others, and has to regain his life.

- Stab people in the face. Or don't. You don't have to. You can literally sneaky-feet through most of the game, and is an actively encouraged style if you feel that strongly against violence when it is unnecessary.

- Crazy ass time shifting powers and other ridiculous black magic.

- Another fantastic story. Well written and conceived.

5) Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Has prequels, unnecessary to enjoy the game.)

- Imagine Skyrim as described above, except science fiction and with a bit more narrative and direction that open-world.

- Cyborgs with guns.

6) The Witcher and The Witcher 2 (Play these fuckers in order, boss. The third one is coming out next year.)

- Play as the most hardass monster slayer ("Witcher") you've ever seen in your life.

- Hunt all sorts of shitty creatures that make life suck, and make life suck for them (for what little they have left of it.)

- Bang hot chicks to celebrate your manliness.

- Set shit on fire, lay traps, and basically fight like a conniving little bastard.

All of these games added together should last you just about until you're old enough that the military boots you right out.

Good luck on your deployment, and stay safe!

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    If you got a steam account I will throw Torchlight II at you for free.  You can play it offline.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by darkbird

I've never been a soldier myself, but I have a few gamer-soldier friends who often talk about what they did overseas. The most popular amongst them from what I have see are immersive open world games, and I think it's pretty obvious why (A nice bit of escapism from the shit happening all around you.)

That said, I have a few recommendations to make based on their feedback:

1) The Mass Effect trilogy is good if you can tolerate an older game (The first game feels quite dated, although its still amazing. The second and third feel much more modern.) 

- Sci-fi opera.

- Very immersive.

- Fun combat (in the second and third; the first is pretty dated, and feels closer to traditional RPG combat.)

- AMAZING story and cast of believable characters.

- An entire universe to save and explore.

2) Skyrim. (And again, if you're feeling adventurous, the previous two games in the series Morrowind and Oblivion are both amazing.)

- Drops a character of your design right into an elaborate and beautiful fantasy world that is literally your plaything.

- Do pretty much whatever you want. (Murder, steal, be honorable, help others, save the world, become a vampire, become a werewolf, become... other things.)

- Fight the way you want. Magic in one hand and a sword in the other? Check. Sneak around with a bow? Sure. Giant ass two handed bastard sword? Why not. Platemail and a shield and a terrifying mace? Okay. You get it.

3) Bioshock: Infinite. (This one deviates from the others. It's not open world [although the world you are given is pretty well sized and fun to explore] and it is more narrative driven. Also, it has two previous games as well, and both are amazing and not at all dated like the two titles I listed above. They are not required to understand the game in the slightest, but you will miss 1 or 2 references.)

- Kill racists by setting them on fire.

- Engage with one of the most believable created NPCs I've ever seen in a video game

- Again, a truly legendary story, narrative, and voice-acting/dialogue. Not to be missed.

4) Dishonored. (Similar to Bioshock above.)

- Sneak around as a goddamn ninja-assassin who has been dishonored by the shitty actions of others, and has to regain his life.

- Stab people in the face. Or don't. You don't have to. You can literally sneaky-feet through most of the game, and is an actively encouraged style if you feel that strongly against violence when it is unnecessary.

- Crazy ass time shifting powers and other ridiculous black magic.

- Another fantastic story. Well written and conceived.

5) Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Has prequels, unnecessary to enjoy the game.)

- Imagine Skyrim as described above, except science fiction and with a bit more narrative and direction that open-world.

- Cyborgs with guns.

6) The Witcher and The Witcher 2 (Play these fuckers in order, boss. The third one is coming out next year.)

- Play as the most hardass monster slayer ("Witcher") you've ever seen in your life.

- Hunt all sorts of shitty creatures that make life suck, and make life suck for them (for what little they have left of it.)

- Bang hot chicks to celebrate your manliness.

- Set shit on fire, lay traps, and basically fight like a conniving little bastard.

All of these games added together should last you just about until you're old enough that the military boots you right out.

Good luck on your deployment, and stay safe!

Oh, also run dosbox and play some Leisure Suit Larry :)

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    One thing about coming back from deployment as a gamer is that you end up years behind in games to play.That may sound bad but it's great,you buy great games you didn't get to play for peanuts on digital services and even retail stores.It takes awhile to catch up if ever even if you do manage to get some choice games during deployment.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by demonofice23

Skyrim

Asbo

Once again would just like to thank all the suggestions and the support! Thanks to you guys my deployment should be a little more enjoyable :D
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

If you want a game with lots of replayability I'd suggest Fallen Enchantress.

http://www.elementalgame.com/fallen-enchantress

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

Good to see so many vets on here!
    Originally posted by poefue
    If you got a steam account I will throw Torchlight II at you for free.  You can play it offline.

I'd love if you'd throw me Torchlight II. Not sure if you need my steam username or email so here's both.

Username: demonofice

Email: [email protected]