Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Release Date and Pre-Order Info

TrakenTraken Member Posts: 172

I'm sorry if KFR or Kanoth wanted to post this...but this has to get out. ::::20::
http://www.roma-victor.com/community/bb/viewtopic.php?p=98511#98511

Translation:
Pre-orders on sale around December 15th, 2005.
Pre-orders and VVT accounts will be able to start playing March 18, 2006.
Game Launches April 1st, 2006.

Costs:
Account: 19.98 Pounds (~$35 USD) -- Includes 10 pounds worth of Sesterces
Pre-order: 14.98 Pounds (~$26 USD) -- Includes 5 pounds worth of Sesterces

Note: Pre-orders will be limited in a first come, first serve manner. All Pre-orders will be inducted into the Commercial Test until release.

Also, please realize that this is not set in complete stone, AFAIK, but it's the most (only) concrete thing we've heard from KFR lately.

Comments

• NatoBoyNatoBoy Member Posts: 25
    Wickeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed, great newsimageimage
  • RedRabRedRab Member UncommonPosts: 280

Game Launches April 1st, 2006 ::::19::.

“Hustlers of the world, there is one mark you cannot beat: the mark inside.”
    William S. Burroughs

• Entreri28Entreri28 Member Posts: 589
    I don't think they really wanted us to say anything about it.  If they want everyone to know they probably would have made a public announcement.

Your mind is like a parachute, it's only useful when it's open.
    Don't forget, you can use the block function on trolls.

• OrigigiNomadOrigigiNomad Member Posts: 91

Yes you're right, and the official post they made on the official boards supports you theory.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Traken

I'm sorry if KFR or Kanoth wanted to post this...but this has to get out. ::::20::
    http://www.roma-victor.com/community/bb/viewtopic.php?p=98511#98511
    Translation:
    Game Launches April 1st, 2006.
    Costs:
    Pre-order: 14.98 Pounds (~$26 USD) -- Includes 5 pounds worth of Sesterces
    Note: Pre-orders will be limited in a first come, first serve manner. All Pre-orders will be inducted into the Commercial Test until release.
    Also, please realize that this is not set in complete stone, AFAIK, but it's the most (only) concrete thing we've heard from KFR lately.

This just made my day.  I am desperate for a new game, everything Ive tried recently has been so mind-numbingly simple and boring.   I was close to giving up on MMO's all together, but now I can hold out for RV.   Wow, this is great news    image

Oh, and after checking the site, I didnt see anything indicating that they didnt want this info put out to the public.  Afterall, it was posted in the public section of a public message board.   

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

I didn't know it was also postd on the public boards.

• skelzskelz Member Posts: 77
    So pre orders start on the 15th and the game releases in April, WTF?

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Originally posted by RedRab

Game Launches April 1st, 2006 ::::19::.

I'm personally finding the release date humorous... image
  • ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156
    Given the past history of recently 'released' (WoW and GW excepted) MMORPG, I cannot believe folks would shell out advance cash to 'play' in Alpha/Beta testing phases (Maybe play, no guarantee; read the fine print).
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Traken
    http://www.roma-victor.com/community/bb/viewtopic.php?p=98511#98511Translation:
    Game Launches April 1st, 2006.Costs:
    Pre-order: 14.98 Pounds (~$26 USD) -- Includes 5 pounds worth of SestercesNote: Pre-orders will be limited in a first come, first serve manner. All Pre-orders will be inducted into the Commercial Test until release.Also, please realize that this is not set in complete stone, AFAIK, but it's the most (only) concrete thing we've heard from KFR lately.

Selling pre-orders 4 months before the game is released by a company that is new to the market? They have big brass ones alright and there is no way I would touch that pre-order. ::::07::

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Shoal
    Given the past history of recently 'released' (WoW and GW excepted) MMORPG, I cannot believe folks would shell out advance cash to 'play' in Alpha/Beta testing phases (Maybe play, no guarantee; read the fine print).

We will make it VERY clear to people that when they are let in after preordering, they will be in to test, not to play.  Unfortunately no matter how many times we tell people that, we will still have people get in and say, "This game is boring, theres nothing to do, why are my FPS so low" etc etc.  We dont want people to purchase a pre-release then expect to play a finished game that day.  If they want to pre-order and play when the game is finished, thats a different story.  But we will make it clear that you wont be coming in to a finished, polished game when you pre-order and are admited to the test.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

Originally posted by Kanoth
    We will make it VERY clear to people that when they are let in after preordering, they will be in to test, not to play. Unfortunately no matter how many times we tell people that, we will still have people get in and say, "This game is boring, theres nothing to do, why are my FPS so low" etc etc. We dont want people to purchase a pre-release then expect to play a finished game that day. If they want to pre-order and play when the game is finished, thats a different story. But we will make it clear that you wont be coming in to a finished, polished game when you pre-order and are admited to the test.

So you are charging people to work on testing your product?

Elnator and Shayde, what was that PT Barnum quote again? ::::04::

Seems the newest trend out with MMO's is get it kinda done, sell pre-orders with beta access attached and dodge taking responsibility of your launch state.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Asking players to pay to beta test?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Amazing.

Not that RV needs another nail in the coffin besides the revenue model to make anyone with any sense reject this game, but allowing beta testers to level characters ahead of retail players in a PVP based MMOG is stupid. Why would a retail customer want to start at a disadvantage?

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• ArisusArisus Member Posts: 17

If you bothered to read it properly, you would notice that it never once says that you must pay to test the game. The preorder is so that those who take it will be able to play the game two weeks before it is sold to the public; being a tester is simply an added bonus.

You really should get your facts straight before trolling, Jorev.

Originally posted by Arisus

If you bothered to read it properly, you would notice that it never once says that you must pay to test the game. The preorder is so that those who take it will be able to play the game two weeks before it is sold to the public; being a tester is simply an added bonus.

English comprehension is not your forte, or most likely, you choose to ignore the negative facts in order to support your pet game.

Kanoth said quite clearly that those who preorder will be testing a game, and not to expect a playable game. Preorders cost money, therefore you must pay for the advantage of testing and leveling prior to retail.

trolling (troll'ing), v. 1. of or pertaining to the disagreeing with others 2. pointing out the fanaticism of others

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    www.vanguardsoh

Originally posted by Jorev
    Originally posted by Arisus
    English comprehension is not your forte, or most likely, you choose to ignore the negative facts in order to support your pet game.
    Kanoth said quite clearly that those who preorder will be testing a game, and not to expect a playable game. Preorders cost money, therefore you must pay for the advantage of testing and leveling prior to retail.
    trolling (troll'ing), v. 1. of or pertaining to the disagreeing with others 2. pointing out the fanaticism of others

I have to agree with ya Jorev for once, his post was fairly clueless. 2 posts up a game rep is stating clearly that those paying to pre-order will be paying to test and then he posts that. He needs to work on his reading skills I think.

- Scaris

Uh...if you want to pre-order the game, you pre-order it...then you're allowed to test if you want.  Otherwise, its just like any pre-order.  I pre-ordered HL2...I didnt get into testing or anything months before it was out, but I wanted to pre-order it.

You guys dont have to pre-order...we're just giving people the option to pre-order...and if they want...help in the testing process.  Then on top of that, they get to play the release version 2 weeks before the general public.

If you dont want to pre-order, don't pre-order.  I dont see how that is difficult to understand.  Maybe I just dont get it.  Its either pre-order, wait for march, and play 2 weeks before the general release.  Or pre-order, help in testing months before it's released, and play the release client 2 weeks before release.  Or dont pre-order, and wait for general April release.

It's up to you.  image

- Kanoth

Oh, I also saw that last line of Jorev's.  Just so everyone knows, servers will be wiped before the March 2 week pre-release.  So don't pre-order thinking you'll have a few months head start on the game because you're in advancing your character in December.  I'll make sure that little jewel is included in the pre-order page.

And as always, any VERM transactions made throughout testing will be refunded as in game money at release.

- Kanoth

Oh, I also saw that last line of Jorev's.  Just so everyone knows, servers will be wiped before the March 2 week pre-release.  So don't pre-order thinking you'll have a few months head start on the game because you're in advancing your character in December.  I'll make sure that little jewel is included in the pre-order page.
    And as always, any VERM transactions made throughout testing will be refunded as in game money at release.

I understood what you said. Preorder customers will be given a 2 week skill advancing/character building advantage over retail customers, not the entire beta testing period.

That's still 2 weeks advantage because of paying early, a bad concept for any MMOG, especially a PvP oriented one.

Brad McQuaid
    www.vanguardsoh

I understood what you said. Preorder customers will be given a 2 week skill advancing/character building advantage over retail customers, not the entire beta testing period.

That's still 2 weeks advantage because of paying early, a bad concept for any MMOG, especially a PvP oriented one.

Do you expect the preorder people not to get anything?  What would be the point of preordering if you didn't get anything for it?  As far as I know I havn't heard any limit on how many they are going to sell preorder or release so it is not like everyone doesn't have the chance to preorder.  Everyone that intends to buy this game will probably preorder since they will have months to get the money if that is an issue.  If someone is going to wait awhile after release or doesn't know about the game they are going to start after everyone else anyway.  I really don't see how this gives anyone an advantage that any other MMO preorder wouldn't get.

I expect preorder customers to get a discount and gain access to beta testing, which is an advantage in itself as they will learn the game mechanics and beneficial bugs ahead of retail customers.

I do not expect them to also receive a 2 week headstart in a MMOG, which would be unbalancing, especially in a PvP environment.

There are legitimate reasons for not preordering. Does the word "Mourning" mean anything to you?

Retail release is supposed to be the start of a virtual world, not preorder. Obviously if anyone begins playing after retail release, they would expect to have to catch up.

Your premise that all other preorder MMOG's offer the same preorder headstart is false, as most do not, for good reason.

Brad McQuaid
    www.vanguardsoh

I expect preorder customers to get a discount and gain access to beta testing, which is an advantage in itself as they will learn the game mechanics and beneficial bugs ahead of retail customers.
    I do not expect them to also receive a 2 week headstart in a MMOG, which would be unbalancing, especially in a PvP environment.
    There are legitimate reasons for not preordering. Does the word "Mourning" mean anything to you?
    Retail release is supposed to be the start of a virtual world, not preorder. Obviously if anyone begins playing after retail release, they would expect to have to catch up.
    Your premise that all other preorder MMOG's offer the same preorder headstart is false, as most do not, for good reason.

Well think about it.  About a month before release and you are still hearing good things from beta testers then it is probably going to release so you can preorder then.  They give many months to preorder to get money if that is a problem.  Basically, when the preorders are let in that is the actual release.  If you don't want to preorder because one game screwed up then don't.  It will be your loss.

All other MMOG's that let you preorder obviously the preorder people will get it the very day it releases.  Everyone else will have to wait to get it if they run out(this is using a box version).  If you wait until release to order it then you won't get it for a week after the other that preordered(this is assuming you order online).

This example of a box version does not work with RV since it will be a download at first I believe so it will release everywhere at the same time.  Since there is only one world this has to be done to have everyone start equal at release.  There is then no waiting if you buy it April 1st so the preorder people wouldn't get anything.

Two weeks won't be that big of an advantage in RV anyway.  It isn't like some games where if you play a ton in that two weeks you can be at a high level and dominate the game.  The fact that there is no uber items also helps to lessen the preorder's already slight advantage.  Who knows there could be an open test before March and then everyone could try it before they preorder if they want.  I don't think they are going to limit preorders so there everyone that wants to play can get it.

• OrigigiNomadOrigigiNomad Member Posts: 91

KFR said there will be around 1500 preorders available, of course they might change that.

I understand your concerns about those 2 weeks. But you must understand the size of the game world that RV will have. 2 weeks advantage will not mean the end of the world since those who start playing on april the 1st (if they want) don't have to EVER meet other people, that's how the game world is big. I just wanted to point out the size of the place where everyone will be playing. You'll need a lot of work just to start off with your guild (if you have one) and to grasp the basics of the game. Through time those 2 weeks will be compensated to those who started later because they will also grasp the basics and everything will be leveled. You can't be 2 weeks ahead of everyone through the whole game because there are no stronger monsters to move on, no dungeons to master and no levels to get.

Thanks for clearing that up Jorev.

The way I see it, the people that will be in the game 2 weeks before general release will be there to get things started smoothly.  It's always been our intention to start small and work our way up in player population.  When the mass of players come in in april, they'll find not only GMs to help out, but also the 1500+ pre-release players there to help out.  Tossing a large amount of people into the world cold feet isnt a good idea, the more help you have the better.  On top of that, the pre-release people will be able to supply jobs and goods to those coming in, so not everyone will have to rely on NPCs.  Player to player interaction is big in RV.  Sure these pre-order people will have a 2 week playing advantage, but it wont be as huge as some may envision.  After playing RV for as long as I have, I dont see it that way anyway.  In other MMORPGs people can powergame up to level 50billion in 2 days, RV is a bit different.  Heck the first playermade hut took a week to build with 3(?) people gathering resources (granted they had to carry the resources and didnt have the luxery of a mule pulled cart, and a few huts failed because of shoddy construction...but you get the idea).  And that was a small hut.  ;)

I do appreciate your concerns though.  I can see how some might be worried about that 2 week head start some people will have.

- Kanoth

• DodooDodoo Member Posts: 78

I wouldn't mind Jorev's concerns if I were you.

He's deadset against pre-orders because of his bad experience with Mourning.

He said the same things in The Chronicle forum on these boards (link).

At least he is coherent.

But the fact that he is afraid of pre-ordering a MMORPG does not mean that other players, dealing with others companies should too.

They should be allowed to show their support and faith and be rewarded for it.

Jorev does not want to pre-order? Well then if the game succeeds, too bad for him...

It's really none of our business.