Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

God i should just go back to playing UO

brieenbrieen Member UncommonPosts: 71

Nothing i play gets me all happy like UO did i can not find a replacement and lord knows i have tried.....

there is just something about it but i am afraid i am way behind and can not catch up to all the players that have been playing for a long time :( 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Brieen - UO,DAOC,WOW,SB,EQ,EQII,EVE,LOTR,D&D,Rift,FFXI and some others I dont care to list......

Comments

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    If you have to catch up, the game is very linear. I thought it's supposed to be a sandbox virtual world.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Nothing like that first MMO buzz, eh? I was lucky enough to get it twice.

1st with RuneScape 1(2001-2004)

2nd time was with Final Fantasy XI(11)

Really tough to beat that first MMO you fell in love with. Everything just feels sub-par.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Nothing like that first MMO buzz, eh? I was lucky enough to get it twice.

1st with RuneScape 1(2001-2004)

2nd time was with Final Fantasy XI(11)

Really tough to beat that first MMO you fell in love with. Everything just feels sub-par.

Those two are a really tough act to follow. The breadth of gameplay in RuneScape and the community of FFXI are both rather rare in MMOs, new or old.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I met people in FFXI & RuneScape I will remember til the day I die.

I can't say the same about most games since, however.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

I met people in FFXI & RuneScape I will remember til the day I die.

I can't say the same about most games since, however.

I'm currently playing on an old school DAOC freeshard with 10 or so people I met in Lineage 1 and commercial DAOC.  Like yourself, few memorable folks since then.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75

I miss my UO days as well, one of the best games ever.  I wish I could get past the graphics though otherwise I'd still be playing.

I'm still looking for a replacement myself.  Trying Rift at the moment, truth be told it seems very WoW'ish.  Might have to go back to playing nothing...

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    mortal online is like a UO but with 3D. Full pvp full loot, not class based...
  • TuxedoSLYTuxedoSLY Ultima Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 93
    Nothing will ever match the UO heyday. Even if you made a game exactly like it with the greatest graphics in the world, it would not live up to the pixelated little adventure we all took over fifteen years ago. The playerbase isn't the same as when we picked up the blade and defended Trinsic against the undead. All of the games like UO, Mortal included, are now just open world deathmatches because players today lack the maturity and imagination of us old timers. It's a sad fact we are going to have to face. 
  • ForgottenKnightForgottenKnight Member UncommonPosts: 69
    My account from 2000 is still active on UO, but from 2004 onwards I've been trying new games to find that replacement. To no avail. I was roleplaying alot on Europa back in the days on UO and nothing have yet beat the experience of living in my imagination like you could in UO, Sigh. Back then the words newb, lol, rofl etc was only seen in npc towns. Today they're everywhere. =)
  • vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by brieen

Nothing i play gets me all happy like UO did i can not find a replacement and lord knows i have tried.....

there is just something about it but i am afraid i am way behind and can not catch up to all the players that have been playing for a long time :( 

What do you mean "go back to UO"? UO isn't even UO anymore. It's an item based grind fest with 7 functional skills and the rest are all gimped. Speed hackers rule everything. You can't do shit without a full peerless arti-suit. Crafting is worthless. There's just no point to playing UO anymore.

• jock_itchjock_itch Member UncommonPosts: 17

I was fortunate enough to get into UO on the ground floor back in the day.  Before they carebeared it all up, it was the game to hold all others up to.  It also messed me up where as enjoyment is concerned with later games.  Nothing comes close to the dynamics of the early days of UO. 

I'm afraid the golden era of mmorpgs is over.

• Alexl8nAlexl8n Member Posts: 1
    Oh man, i'm glad there are people who feel the same pain i do. It's near impossible to have an experience with these MMO's that i did with Ultima Online. The people i met. The things we did. The character i made. All things i will remember till the day i die. I agree with a user above about todays players lacking the imagination to play games like ultima. It's all competitive and PVP. It's never about creating your own adventure anymore. Ultima Online will live in our hearts forever as one of the greatest games to have ever existed. 
  • EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by tarodin
    mortal online is like a UO but with 3D. Full pvp full loot, not class based...

That's not why people played UO..

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

UO was so much more then full loot pvp lol. 

Thats not the reason that I played even tho I do like pvp. The pvp games now just have pvp with no consequences. At least UO had the flagging system.

Shadowbane came kind of close  with building kingdoms and sieging etc. I still liked UO the best. I have been lost trying to find a good MMO since they screwed UO all up.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Played UO:R (only right uo :P)for 7 years and still trying to find something to fill that hole it left.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by TuxedoSLY
    Nothing will ever match the UO heyday. Even if you made a game exactly like it with the greatest graphics in the world, it would not live up to the pixelated little adventure we all took over fifteen years ago. The playerbase isn't the same as when we picked up the blade and defended Trinsic against the undead. All of the games like UO, Mortal included, are now just open world deathmatches because players today lack the maturity and imagination of us old timers. It's a sad fact we are going to have to face. 

The problem can be summed up in 1 word.  Progress.

No, not that other games have progressed past UO.    But the difference is in gameplay where now players expect to ´progress´ their characters each time they play.   Getting better gear etc.

I think I played UO for about 5 years.  It took me very little time to finish a character 7xGM... and back then, there was no gear progression or real ´drops´... crafted gear was really good and you had plenty of it.   What this meant?  I probably played UO for 4 years without ever progressing my character.  That is just impossible in todays gaming world.  I logged in and did whatever I wanted without even thinking that at the end of the play session I wanted my character to be more powerful than he was when I started playing that day.  In modern games ( like WOW for example), it is almost impossible to log in without immediately thinking how you can ´progress´ your character.. either earning VP, running dungeons for drops... the game is all about progressing your character, not enjoying playing your character as it is now.

This, to me, made UO more about just having fun and took away a lot of the feeling of  work that more recent MMOs give you.