Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft: "We have a console for people without internet, it's called a 360"

Comments

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    I've never watched a console manufacturer commit suicide before. It's quite interesting, if a bit sad.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875

I Loved both the xbox and the 360 so much so that the last sony product I owned was the playstation 2 . That being said I will not be buying the xbox one. The used games thing really angers me so I guess  gamefly is out of luck. The internet thing is just so they can sale add space. Recently we were with out internet for two weeks because some one stole all the copper from the cable box in our condos. So I could not play any of my steam games or watch netflix. Wer also own a cabin that does not have any internet that we live in from July till September so I gues I coudnt even bring my xbox one with me to play games. This is just disappointing and there general hubris about the whole thing is just stupid.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    What I want to know is... since the Kinect is always on and starts profiling crap... is it uploading any of that when it connects to their servers once every 24 hours? Since microsofts EULA says that if they see any illegal activity with the kinect if I'm sitting at my table rolling my cigarettes (Much cheaper than buying a pack of malboro) do I have to worry about the police banging on my door thinking I was rolling a joint? 

Do I have to worry about some creep at Microsoft getting a video of me and the wife fooling around because I forgot to throw a sheet over my kinect? 

Am I the only one that is a bit creeped out by the always on kinect and online requirements combined with Microsofts policies?

You only need to worry about illegal cable, or movies you aren't licensed to watch that you'll somehow get on the Xbox One.

Or more realistically, trying to play a movie in your house while you're having a party. If the XBox sees too many people, it may turn the movie off because the movie is only licensed for private, home viewing which doesn't include showing it to twenty or thirty people at a time. That seems like the kind of d!ck move that DRM proponents would enact.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by lizardbones

What I want to know is... since the Kinect is always on and starts profiling crap... is it uploading any of that when it connects to their servers once every 24 hours? Since microsofts EULA says that if they see any illegal activity with the kinect if I'm sitting at my table rolling my cigarettes (Much cheaper than buying a pack of malboro) do I have to worry about the police banging on my door thinking I was rolling a joint? 

Do I have to worry about some creep at Microsoft getting a video of me and the wife fooling around because I forgot to throw a sheet over my kinect? 

Am I the only one that is a bit creeped out by the always on kinect and online requirements combined with Microsofts policies?

You only need to worry about illegal cable, or movies you aren't licensed to watch that you'll somehow get on the Xbox One.

Or more realistically, trying to play a movie in your house while you're having a party. If the XBox sees too many people, it may turn the movie off because the movie is only licensed for private, home viewing which doesn't include showing it to twenty or thirty people at a time. That seems like the kind of d!ck move that DRM proponents would enact.

Hehe I find it a bit funny that people thinks Microsoft is going to "call the cops" on people lol :P

I can think of no better way to destroy their own customer base by getting people fined and thrown into prison - prisoners can't spend money (obviously) and people that got fines can't afford to spend money lol.

If Microsoft don't even do anything with people pirating Office and Windows (besides invalidating their copies) I sincerely doubt they bother to call cops on anyone.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

heres a thought to think about also: While I MAY HAVE 100% access to the net, I MAY NOT WANT my console to have said access.

how often have xbox/ps users had the net 'drop' them in the middle of a game, for whatever reason, ahd have to restart it with reset stats, or how often has a game updated to a 'bugged' update which renderd the game unplayable, until the next patch, or hell, who wants 'everyone' to know what they  are doing it when they are doing it?

I personally, if I even had an desire to own a console, would not want it online at all if i could help it. It would sit in my living room next to my tv to play games. NOTHING ELSE.

The always online bullshit companies are doing now, as a real 'fail' and lazy way to prevent hacking, then spend countless hours and manpower(IE Money) to 'explain how its better for me' rather than just fix the underlaying issue.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bTAKSBvuT-A#!

lol, they're insane

Sony has a console for people without internet too, it is called PS4 and it will be new and improved :P

So why would people even bother with Xbox One if that's Microsoft's attitude? lol.

This ain't Windows. People DON'T HAVE TO play consoles. I don't think they realises that because they've been in the OS business for too long.

Good point about Windows. Microsoft has this arrogant midset from being able to dictate things to there business enterprise customers.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by lizardbones

These two post have me rollin' man..

Scary business to be had for sure, but the real question still remains..

Who watches the watchers?....

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

How many times a day across america is a parent or grandparent going to walk into walmart to buy their young person a next gen console and ask the walmart guy, who may not have internet making 8 bucks an hour, which one he likes best?

Chances are this guy is going to say, "get the ps4, better system(drm), cheaper and you dont have to have the internet connected to play."

Microsoft will live to regret this and only fans of microsoft who are thinking with their hearts instead of thier heads will disagree.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I'm interested to see if the XB1 actually performs poorly when released.

I hope for once actions meet words in the gaming scene.

• tasingtasing Member Posts: 5
    but but but,,, well microsoft can't compete with ps4 then hehehe.  PS$ nailed it !
  • mikehuff2000mikehuff2000 Member Posts: 2
    Okay people if you can afford a $500.00 console than you can afford a $50.00 wireless N router so there is no excuse that you don't have internet in that room. As far as the ship sinking the only one that has done that was Nintendo with Wii U. Now if you are going to bitch on here that you don't have internet guess what ... prepare to get your mind blown ... you need internet to post on here, so BOOM!!!! 
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Microsofts arrogance continues to astound me. How can they completely disregard our men and women serving in the military.  I have a buddy who served in afghanistan and he told me the only time he had any kind of fun is when he A: Talked to friends and family roughly once 1-2 months and B: Played his consoles on a Forward Operating Base that had little to no net. I honestly cannot believe they are doing this. They must love pain or something. OR seeing sony being cheered for at E3.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by mikehuff2000
    Okay people if you can afford a $500.00 console than you can afford a $50.00 wireless N router so there is no excuse that you don't have internet in that room. As far as the ship sinking the only one that has done that was Nintendo with Wii U. Now if you are going to bitch on here that you don't have internet guess what ... prepare to get your mind blown ... you need internet to post on here, so BOOM!!!! 

Uhh let me tell you a story. I have a friend who works 40-50 hours a week at a 10$ an hour job. He juggles rent, bills, gas, food ect. He comes out roughly with 20-40$ of spending money a month. He put that spending money away to get a console. He doesnt have net as its a luxury he cannot afford. So he buys a PS3 and 1 game as he got a good deal. He then proceeds to borrow my games or I give him the ones im bored of.

Moral of the story is, not everyone who has a console has internet.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

As Totalbiscuit said the real problem are their servers what if they go down like when diablo 3 launched or simcity all the games you rent from em worthless untill they fix em

and my own personal note what if i want to bring my box1 with me to my holiday house no internet there oh no i cant.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by saurus123

no they are not

if you dont have internet access then you are living on north pole

ohh wait they have internet access there :D

Of course, it's not like anyone has ever gone without internet before, or had it knocked out for over 24 hours. (Insert picture of someone rolling their eyes here.)

Some people are so stupid these days that I honestly worry that part of the human race is de-evolving.

In fact I'd pay someone to drag this moron to some third world country and leave him there. I imagine he'd chew his own limbs off after a day or so.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• ArcticasArcticas Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Kazuhiro
    Originally posted by saurus123

no they are not

if you dont have internet access then you are living on north pole

ohh wait they have internet access there :D

Of course, it's not like anyone has ever gone without internet before, or had it knocked out for over 24 hours. (Insert picture of someone rolling their eyes here.)

Some people are so stupid these days that I honestly worry that part of the human race is de-evolving.

In fact I'd pay someone to drag this moron to some third world country and leave him there. I imagine he'd chew his own limbs off after a day or so.

Agreed ... well if I ever get new console it will be PS4 ... well since Soul Calibur is for PS too it won't hurt my feelings :D

One day I went outside. Graphics were amazing but the gameplay was horrible.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The "No internet = Poor" point of view is really childish, immature, and downright ignorant. You can have enough money in the world and still won't be able to avail of the most stable internet connection.

Internet still isn't as readily available as electricity. Always remember that.

• lelyelelye Member Posts: 4
    then players have a choice :)
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    We, who already know what console we're buying (PS4) shouldn't really care.. but its hard not to care about microsofts silly ideas! Well just leave this console to the real XBOX nerds, they will buy it anyway .. and then we can sit there and laugh at them playing our PS4 when their internet is down :D
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MrG8
    We, who already know what console we're buying (PS4) shouldn't really care.. but its hard not to care about microsofts silly ideas! Well just leave this console to the real XBOX nerds, they will buy it anyway .. and then we can sit there and laugh at them playing our PS4 when their internet is down :D

When the battle was between fanboys of the PS3 and the Xbox 360, there were valid arguments on either side, but with the new consoles, its far more clear cut, and if anything the Xbox fanboys are probably feeling more than a little betrayed by microsoft, so im guessing that there are probably a lot fewer Xbox fanboys now.

Besides, would you pay $100 more for a less powerful PC ? image

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    I can not even get a flash stick to work between my X-Box 360 and PC! lol
    hope thats not right -- i have no problem using a usb stick or micro sd card between PS3 and PC
    I have tried on multiple occasions to get some Madden NFL highlights onto a flash stick to my computer, to no avail...

I insert the stick, have X-Box format it, copy the files, and when I plug it into my PC, nothing shows up on the stick. I know I am missing something, but have no clue as to what it may be :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Nadia

I can not even get a flash stick to work between my X-Box 360 and PC! lol

hope thats not right -- i have no problem using a usb stick or micro sd card between PS3 and PC
    I have tried on multiple occasions to get some Madden NFL highlights onto a flash stick to my computer, to no avail...

I insert the stick, have X-Box format it, copy the files, and when I plug it into my PC, nothing shows up on the stick. I know I am missing something, but have no clue as to what it may be :)

may have no effect

but have the PC format it - then let xbox copy to it,  then use on PC

• AzphelAzphel Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    I've really enjoyed watching this ship sink..

Plenty more to watch I'm sure!

I still cant understand why people still defend a company wit execs like this tool. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by GrayGhost79 What I want to know is... since the Kinect is always on and starts profiling crap... is it uploading any of that when it connects to their servers once every 24 hours? Since microsofts EULA says that if they see any illegal activity with the kinect if I'm sitting at my table rolling my cigarettes (Much cheaper than buying a pack of malboro) do I have to worry about the police banging on my door thinking I was rolling a joint?    Do I have to worry about some creep at Microsoft getting a video of me and the wife fooling around because I forgot to throw a sheet over my kinect?  Am I the only one that is a bit creeped out by the always on kinect and online requirements combined with Microsofts policies?  
    You only need to worry about illegal cable, or movies you aren't licensed to watch that you'll somehow get on the Xbox One. ** ** ** Or more realistically, trying to play a movie in your house while you're having a party. If the XBox sees too many people, it may turn the movie off because the movie is only licensed for private, home viewing which doesn't include showing it to twenty or thirty people at a time. That seems like the kind of d!ck move that DRM proponents would enact.  
    Hehe I find it a bit funny that people thinks Microsoft is going to "call the cops" on people lol :P

I can think of no better way to destroy their own customer base by getting people fined and thrown into prison - prisoners can't spend money (obviously) and people that got fines can't afford to spend money lol.

If Microsoft don't even do anything with people pirating Office and Windows (besides invalidating their copies) I sincerely doubt they bother to call cops on anyone.

Microsoft takes a very proactive stance against real piracy and illegal behavior. While their operating system may be full of security holes, they do help the government take down very large botnets on a regular basis. It's not a stretch to think they would assist the music and movie industries fight "piracy". You are right, it doesn't make much fiscal sense to get over zealous with it, but Microsoft has actually patented a couple things to make this type of thing not only possible, but something exclusive that Microsoft could do.

I think the most likely outcome is Microsoft having additional marketing information to sell to advertisers. They could tell how many people leave the room during commercials, whether or not people get excited during commercials, and whether or not people are actually watching television shows. I can't imagine them not collecting this information and selling it. The anti-piracy stuff is possible, but I don't know how probably it is. Collecting the consumer metrics seems not only probable, but likely.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Caldrin

What if someone had internet access.. but then for whatever reason got cut off.. maybe the lines to their street melted, they could not afford it or whatever..

The xbox one would become useless if they didnt have access to the net after 30 days. I dont care too much as I dont play games on colnsoles but its utterly wrong for them to put this kind of system in place..

Saying that I am sure it wont be long before someone hacks the system

I had more power outages this past year than internet outages.....therefore had I owned a Xbox one, and PS4, they would have been unusable for just as long.

Your personal experience is neither indicative of, nor relevant to that of millions of others, located all around the world, in a variety of locales, with varying circumstances and degrees of internet connectivity.

But never mind that. No one's talking about the XBone not working during a power outage.

Have you not been reading this thread? The various examples and scenarios explained within it?

The problem with debates like this, is that people will focus in on one specific detail ('internet connection" in this case) and make the entire debate about that, ignoring everything else wrong with it. The same thing happens with the whole F2P/Cash Shop debate.

But even then they're flailing about in the weeds, because the arguments being made are either wild generalizations or, as in your case, personal anecdotes that have no relevance to the situation at all.

Also, forgetting the "constantly on" thing, which people seem to have gotten caught up on...

How about MS's Patent filing for a technology that will actually detect how many people are in the room while a game is being played, so it can halt the game and require a license upgrade if it goes over a certain amount? Imagine playing a game with friends, someone else comes into the room and, suddenly, the game halts and tells you you've exceeded the maximum number of people for your license? Would anyone really be okay with that? That is, other than the die-hard Microsoft apologists?

How about their idea to try and turn advertising into a "game" by awarding achievements based on how much you sit in front of the screen, watching the ads? Yes, tapping into gamers' love (addiction) of "unlocking achievements" to try and push more advertising. Really puts into clear perspective just how MS sees their customers and gamers in general.

MS has far over-reached, they're being way too invasive and far too "Big Brother"-like with this XBone of theirs. Further, the non-chalant arrogance they're demonstrating over it is only hurting them more.

But, hey. Arrogance is the Microsoft way. They've always believed they "know better". They've had that arrogance since they got into the console business to begin with.

It would only make it all the sweeter to see the XBone crash and burn horribly. And I really hope it does. They've earned it.