Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Been Happy coming back to AOC

wihtgarwihtgar Member UncommonPosts: 119

I hadn't played AOC since it went F2P and was nervous that it may have become P2W, but so far I like it.  I don't see any problems with the payment system (although I am a subscribing member).    I like what the game has done.  Paying membership gets you perks but not armor or weapons or anything absurd like that. The graphics aren't great for today, but graphics don't make a game.

Now I'm just waiting on today's patch and am excited about it.

Comments

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I know!! Free AA points for levelling up on a subscription. Oh my god, that's brilliant. A bit of a kick in the knickers for free players who already got to 80 but still... Cripes I'm gonna have to sub up and roll me a new character.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by shalissar
    I know!! Free AA points for levelling up on a subscription. Oh my god, that's brilliant. A bit of a kick in the knickers for free players who already got to 80 but still... Cripes I'm gonna have to sub up and roll me a new character.

yep that was a VERY smart move, kudos to FC.

got myself the 6 months plus free 3 months, that was quite a good deal and I'm off the gametime cards now :)

• wihtgarwihtgar Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Yeah I don't mind subbing at all.  And the FTP aspect does not bother me because, let's face it, it's not like they are selling endgame armor and weapons.  It's mostly cosmetic stuff.  You level a bit faster as a paying member, but I have used very few of my "offline levels."     I like the fact that this game still has raids and traditional MMO type things to do, as opposed to many of the newer game which just ignore that sort of thing.     The only other option really is Rift, but I always spent too much time trying to get resist gear in that game (plus the game characters looked just a little too odd for my tastes).
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by wihtgar

I hadn't played AOC since it went F2P and was nervous that it may have become P2W, but so far I like it.  I don't see any problems with the payment system (although I am a subscribing member).    I like what the game has done.  Paying membership gets you perks but not armor or weapons or anything absurd like that. The graphics aren't great for today, but graphics don't make a game.

I've spent the last year in TSW and GW2

Coming back to AoC was a huge relief, I can't believe how good AoC still is.

I think I'll stay this time.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Bjelar

As a player who only got to lvl 25 after Launch beofre quitting and a fan of 'Conan lore', I am not up to date with the game atm, I do not have time to be very active in a guild (EVE main MMO), is this a game now that you can enjoy playing mostly casual+solo or very guild/group oriented with raids and group pvp?

(Just asking this before I go through the tedious first 10 levels in that village lol, I HATED that town)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Muke

As a player who only got to lvl 25 after Launch beofre quitting and a fan of 'Conan lore', I am not up to date with the game atm, I do not have time to be very active in a guild (EVE main MMO), is this a game now that you can enjoy playing mostly casual+solo or very guild/group oriented with raids and group pvp?

(Just asking this before I go through the tedious first 10 levels in that village lol, I HATED that town)

The game is great for casual/solo play.  You need guilds for regular high end raiding, I gusss, but 99% of the content is easily accessible in PUGs and solo.

Tortage is 20 levels, though, not ten :) 

I can't believe you hate Tortage, I played through it 30+ times, and it is still a blast :D

(Yesterday I broke my record and spent only 3 hours there, but that's just because I rushed through it to get to a "5 year celebration event")

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

I can't believe you hate Tortage, I played through it 30+ times, and it is still a blast :D

Well, the game was not for me at Launch, I preordered and quit at lvl25ish, but yeah, I tried a few times in the meantime and for me it WAS a torture in Tortage. ^^

It's basicly a "I hate starter zones, I want to explore the vast world" mentality that I've developed over the years.

20 levels? DAMN. lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    No matter how many negative remarks this game had in the past, this game is still going strong and is still great fun to play. I would be very sad as would many others if they shut AoC down, but I don't see that happening.
  • indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

The graphics aren't great for today, but graphics don't make a game.

Check out SweetFX (there is a thread about it on the official AoC forums).  The graphics in AoC are quite nice actually.

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32

I'm with the OP on this. As a rule, I generally don't play F2P games. But I decided to re-install and check things out just before the anniversary events kicked off.

And I am SO glad I did. I subbed up the day after re-installing, and have been having a blast. The new game director really seems to know what he's doing, and has restored my faith in not only AoC, but Funcom as a company.

It's also nice to see the server that I play on (Set) packed 24/7, and to see top tier guilds inviting solo players like myself to raids. I haven't seen a community like this since the days of old-school MMORPGs.

I really cannot believe how great this game has become, compared to the sad, unfinished mess it was. 

A very under-rated game.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Also been really happy to be back on AoC. It still looks so good graphically and they seem to have finally gotten alot figured out and streamlined, it is still a very viable game, at this point considering the recent stae of MMO's AoC seems that it was quite ahead of its time. 

Too bad it suffered so many problems at launch and for the first couple of years, but it is nice to see they didn't drop support as it is quite a nice little game and very fun.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Braindome

Also been really happy to be back on AoC. It still looks so good graphically and they seem to have finally gotten alot figured out and streamlined, it is still a very viable game, at this point considering the recent stae of MMO's AoC seems that it was quite ahead of its time. 

Too bad it suffered so many problems at launch and for the first couple of years, but it is nice to see they didn't drop support as it is quite a nice little game and very fun.

That seems to be the recurring trend for some reason with Funcom mmos - they messes up launches but a couple of years after that they fixed them into decent games.

Same thing happened with Anarchy Online.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I'm returning as well.I love to siege and it seems they have that mastered. OH BOY !
  • sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    As disillusioned I was with the game right after Turan Im pretty happy to see AoC's hardcore fanbase stay fairly stable in terms of population. Im also glad to see what seems to be FC recommitting to improve the playerbase way of life.

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Do they still have the odd setup with the expansion content where you have to have bought the expansion in order to use the content but if you had purchased it in the past you also have to sub to access it?  So, basically do you still have to both purchase the xpac and sub in order to access the xpac?  Or can you play the xpac content if you purchase it (without a sub).  When the f2p first came out for the game it was a bit convoluted, have they streamlined the f2p experience?  (I do know that they now let you play all classes f2p so that was definitely a good thing).
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Muke

The game is great for casual/solo play.  You need guilds for regular high end raiding, I gusss, but 99% of the content is easily accessible in PUGs and solo.

(Yesterday I broke my record and spent only 3 hours there, but that's just because I rushed through it to get to a "5 year celebration event")

I know, same here. Tortage has the best start area in an mmo to date not to mention an outstanding music score. Allot of the dungeon content had solo modes added along the way also.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

it's good to see people returning to a game that has improved a lot the last months...Too bad us europeans can't say the same since we are coming back to an addition of +50 to 80ms to our ping. The game should be named AOCU

(AGE OF CONAN USA)

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Funny thing about the score, I have listen and do listen to the soundtrack for the past few years. It is awesome. As regards tortage, nothing short of brilliant, well introduced game and the meanest hardcore pvp out there. Thinking of reinstalling again.......
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Deadlobster
    Funny thing about the score, I have listen and do listen to the soundtrack for the past few years. It is awesome. As regards tortage, nothing short of brilliant, well introduced game and the meanest hardcore pvp out there. Thinking of reinstalling again.......

In an earlier thread we praised Knut for it :) I admit I find RotG's soundtrack a bit weaker, but the original OST is amazing.

Edit: The Dreaming, live version http://youtu.be/-g5KYv2oqXk  I guess Helene deserves some praising as well...