Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

been a long time

nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Last time I played DAoC was when there were no expansions. I quit playing because I like to solo for levels most of the time and it was pretty much impossible to do with DAoC because it took SOOO long.

So my question is, how has DAoC changed over the years? Has it gotten faster to level, easier to level, more solo friendly, etc?

Thanks ...

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

You can level in 1/10th of the time it used to take. It was about 50 days or so and now you can do it in 5 days. The average is 7 days or so to level 50.

If you get the Catacombs expansion things are much easier to solo. You have task dungeons set to your level with a constant bonus. You get a large XP reward for finishing the TD mission. You have catacombs quests which gives you gobs of XP.

As long as you do not play on the Classic servers you will free level 20 characters as soon as you get a level 50. The new classes added last year cannot be a free level 20 but you do get a 50% bonus to XP when leveling them.

Classic servers are essentially servers with the ToA expansion. That expansion added a lot of unwanted content and is Raid based. Thankfully they have made it a lot easier and with the next patch it should be tolerable. Maybe soon they will abandon the raid format and change it to group/solo in which case it will be a lot quicker to get done. As it is now raids are easy to find, but they can take a few hours and it is not an enjoyable experience to go through.

So in short things are a lot better for leveling and solo play before, even if you play on a regular server that has ToA.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by JulianDracos
    You can level in 1/10th of the time it used to take. It was about 50 days or so and now you can do it in 5 days. The average is 7 days or so to level 50. If you get the Catacombs expansion things are much easier to solo. You have task dungeons set to your level with a constant bonus. You get a large XP reward for finishing the TD mission. You have catacombs quests which gives you gobs of XP. As long as you do not play on the Classic servers you will free level 20 characters as soon as you get a level 50. The new classes added last year cannot be a free level 20 but you do get a 50% bonus to XP when leveling them. Classic servers are essentially servers with the ToA expansion. That expansion added a lot of unwanted content and is Raid based. Thankfully they have made it a lot easier and with the next patch it should be tolerable. Maybe soon they will abandon the raid format and change it to group/solo in which case it will be a lot quicker to get done. As it is now raids are easy to find, but they can take a few hours and it is not an enjoyable experience to go through.So in short things are a lot better for leveling and solo play before, even if you play on a regular server that has ToA.

Um just a point of clarification:
    He means 7 24hr days. Not 7 RL Days :) 7 days of 'played' time is about 2 months or so, RL, for your 'average' player. But yes, getting to 50 is MUCH faster now than it used to be. I've been playing my new Skald on the classic servers for like a week (and I only play like 1hr a night, and not even every night) I think my played time is something like 10 hours and I'm already level 17, almost 18.

I prefer the classic servers because I was never a fan of the 'free level 20 char' option. I thought it was very detrimental to the TRUE new players because it took away a large chunk of their chances to group with folks and get to know the vets. Also I'm not a huge fan of raid content. I like to raid *occasionally* because I almost NEVER have the time to sink into a raid. My typical playtime, as I said, is about 1-2 hours a night at most. Occasionally I'll get more time (up to about 4 hours MAX) but usually I just don't have the time required to go on a raid. So TOA is a horrible expansion for me. Thus I play on the "Classic" servers which are sooooo much better, imo.

Another big difference is that on classic servers folks don't use buff bots as much and, if they do, the bot has to be WITH them, they can't just park it somewhere and then go off adventuring because there's a 5000m radius on conc buff ranges from the caster.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• HirataHirata Member Posts: 57

Are the classic servers something new? I dont remember them from when I played anyone know where I can get more information on them

My accounts were deleted I dont think I could handle going through all those artifact encounters and ML's again becoming a master crafter in all crafts again will be tedious enough (love my crafting)

You account should not have been deleted for inactivity.

Classic servers are servers that do not have ToA and there are restrictions on the distance buffs work to help minimize the impact of buff bots.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Accounts are not deleted, ever.... unless you deleted the toons yourself.

Classic servers are servers without TOA installed (no "Master levels" to worry about) and have the old rules where anyone giving you conc buffs has to be 1) grouped with you and 2) within 5,000 meters of you.

I started on a brand new account (can't remember my info for my old one and don't have the CD key either since I trashed those CD's ages ago **kicks self**) with brand new toons on the classic servers about 9 days ago. I already have a level 20 skald. I haven't grouped *at all* for levelling. I have never 'grinded' either.

My xp has been obtained through:
    1) RVR in the Battlegrounds, which start at level 1 and go all the way to level 44 now. (yes, you get xp for killing other players in RVR, though PVE is faster XP typically)
    2) Questing

That's it. I haven't had to group *at all* in PVE unless I *chose* to. And typically I just don't have the patience to group in PVE because I LOATHE waiting around for people to get where they're supposed to be.

Solo is perfectly do-able. Even for classes that used to have trouble with it. I met a guy who solo'd his shadowblade to 30 in the time I've gone to 20 (he doesn't RVR as much :))

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

accounts arent ever deleted? was told after 180 days of inactivity they go poof. well how would I reactivate one?

Have your username and password. Or your user name and the secret word on your account and call Mythic. Accounts are never delted for inactivity.