Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony Charging $50 a year for online play, Ok With You?

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by ichihaifu
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

i'm amazed about how much people can take and still smile like it was a good thing, companys screw with you and you still smile and take it, then later they complaing about how games are not as much fun like its was years before, or when I bough a game for 80 its would give me over 80+ game time play, now I pay 80 for 12 game play time, plus 2 hour each 10 bucks DLC.

oh well nvm, I don't ahve a ps3 or xbox and sure won't get a ps4  and even if I did it was not to play online

Oh bitch please. PC players have to pay 10€ A MONTH to be able to play their games online, "free to play" games are even worse off.

I'd take single 50€ fee for a year's worth of multiplayer access anyday over PC's solution.

EDIT; On top of that we'll be getting games for free if we're under the psn+ subscription.

Where PC players have to pay 10 euros, console players will have to pay 10 euros + their multiplayer access fee. For me its a problem as i dont like to be robbed. As for PS+ free games, i couldnt care less as i only play selected titels and dont need anything more.

You also get to back up your saved game files to the cloud.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

They give you a free game each month worth at least $5 (usually more from what I understand), so yeah, it's worth it.

I'm not happy about it and I think they could have gotten away with not charging for the service, but Microsoft charges for XBLA too, so Sony is the clear winner here anyway.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Sony and microsoft know that addicted gamers will pay what ever they are told to pay. Eventually it will be like having an arcade machine in your house, everytime you want to play you're going to have to pay.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Ikeda

See what people forget is that FREE servers cost SOMEONE money.  Every time you log into a game to play with a friend that server has to pay fees for maintenance, usage, connection, and people to service them.  People who want this for free need to move on.  

See what people forget is that most major companies own their own servers and that initial cost is covered quickly which is why if you look at for example, Sony's quarterly reports you will see next to no cost at all for their online services. I mean, we are talking about a corporation with a 129 BILLION dollar cash flow whos last quarterly report showed that SOEs online services took up 0.001% of its expenditures and when I say ITS expenditures, I mean the SOE division, not Sonys.

Time to move on yet? I mean, connection costs haven't been anything of considerable size for over a DECADE now with bandwidth costs dropping to pennies thanks to high speed internet lines being laid all over the world cutting costs from backbone servers. The real cost is in maintenance and service which is made up quickly in other areas. A 10 man crew making $100k each = 1 million a year...a drop in the bucket when 20 $59 games are selling a million copies.

Don't believe me? Go do a search for how much it costs Netflix to stream a full movie...its 5c, yes...5 freaking pennies to stream a full movie. 4-10gb.

Do you know how long you would have to play a game to send back and forth 4gig?!?

Bandwidth is a non cost issue...connection hasn't been a cost issue even longer.

Perhaps its time for you to move on.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

50 dollars a year isnt bad. 

XBox live is more expensive than that. 

So 4.25 a month is pretty cheap for access to the net through my PS3 or PS4.   If you are smart you can actually cut out a large expense by removing otherthings that are reduntant in your life. 

I know when I picked up XBOX Live and dropped my Cable TV, I replaced it with HULU Plus, Netflix and HBOGO.     I actually cut out almost 80bucks a month in bills that were reduntant.  And I can watch whatever whenever I want.

So much crap, so little quality.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

This is fine with me considering it's cheaper than xbox live, and I can play the announced mmorpgs up there, and battlefield 4 online and just the rest of the games.

Since it isn't a sub just for one game, or an overpriced 15 dollars a month per game. I'd gladly pay 50 dollars a year for playstation plus.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by evilized
    50 bucks for a year of fun is a joke.  i wish MMO's only charged $50 a year. 

Well, it doesn't include new release games. To play the latest CoD multiplayer, or Destiny you'll need a PS+ membership and it won't include the latest CoD or Destiny. You may also need to have some sort of Destiny account, which may have a subscription to play. It's not exactly the same as an MMO on the PC.

Here is the presentation page:

Depending on the new game discounts and the free games you get, it could be worth more than the $50 a month you spend on it. Or not. It really depends on the person.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by RizelStar

This is fine with me considering it's cheaper than xbox live, and I can play the announced mmorpgs up there, and battlefield 4 online and just the rest of the games.

Since it isn't a sub just for one game, or an overpriced 15 dollars a month per game. I'd gladly pay 50 dollars a year for playstation plus.

If you buy any mmo's you'll have to pay for a subscription on top of your subscription.

Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Ikeda

See what people forget is that FREE servers cost SOMEONE money.  Every time you log into a game to play with a friend that server has to pay fees for maintenance, usage, connection, and people to service them.  People who want this for free need to move on.  

See what people forget is that most major companies own their own servers and that initial cost is covered quickly which is why if you look at for example, Sony's quarterly reports you will see next to no cost at all for their online services. I mean, we are talking about a corporation with a 129 BILLION dollar cash flow whos last quarterly report showed that SOEs online services took up 0.001% of its expenditures and when I say ITS expenditures, I mean the SOE division, not Sonys.

Time to move on yet? I mean, connection costs haven't been anything of considerable size for over a DECADE now with bandwidth costs dropping to pennies thanks to high speed internet lines being laid all over the world cutting costs from backbone servers. The real cost is in maintenance and service which is made up quickly in other areas. A 10 man crew making $100k each = 1 million a year...a drop in the bucket when 20 $59 games are selling a million copies.

Don't believe me? Go do a search for how much it costs Netflix to stream a full movie...its 5c, yes...5 freaking pennies to stream a full movie. 4-10gb.

Do you know how long you would have to play a game to send back and forth 4gig?!?

Bandwidth is a non cost issue...connection hasn't been a cost issue even longer.

Perhaps its time for you to move on.

This is true to which makers certain payment models a RIP OFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!

but oh well, still doing the playstation plus but shall never sub to [one] game paying 180 a year for it. I'll be damn lol.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Originally posted by nerovipus32

If you buy any mmo's you'll have to pay for a subscription on top of your subscription.

Well that's saying that the announced mmos are p2p, if they are I won't be playing them.

Which I'm sure a few of them will be b2p and actually f2p or freemium I.E Planet Side 2.

ESO devs don't like P2P model by the way, I'm just saying.

EQN being from SOE right? I believe they'll have a Planet Side 2 payment model. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Opapanax
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Opapanax
    I'm not turned off from the system with this news. Playstation network has been free since it first started over 10 years ago, for them to just now get around to charging for it shouldn't be too much a blow for the more vetted Playstaion owners.

Some might find it troubleling but to let this alone be a deal breaker is a little much IMHO..

Still cheaper than XBox Live? Righ..? Then 'Yes" it is okay with me. Especially if this means an improvement to the PSN in general. It's gotten a lot better over the years, but possibly an actual "paying" model is what's needed to get it to where it really needs to be.

Especially with PS4 being all about the Cloud and streaming that it wants to be apart of now.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same price as XBox Live. It also comes with Beta Access and free games.

Yea I'm an off again on again PS+ user anyhow. I tihnk we all already know the free-games wont be some grand AAA type stuff, but they have tons of little parlor games that can be well worth 5 dollars a month.

The Poker games, Maybe Magic The Gathering will be one free game eventually. Then you got your sleeper hits like "Limbo" and other Indie titles that will live and breath off being Free in the Shop as an option.

It really is gonna depend on what games they offer for free. It should be close to what we have now, which isn't completely bad at all.

Will probably get access to all the older games also as they'll eventuall be emulated on the PS4 much like we have now with PSX games on the Network.

The free games are AAA games two examples being Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and infamous which I downloaded too

Originally posted by evilized
    50 bucks for a year of fun is a joke. 

i wish MMO's only charged $50 a year. 

Well, it doesn't include new release games. To play the latest CoD multiplayer, or Destiny you'll need a PS+ membership and it won't include the latest CoD or Destiny. You may also need to have some sort of Destiny account, which may have a subscription to play. It's not exactly the same as an MMO on the PC.

Here is the presentation page:

Depending on the new game discounts and the free games you get, it could be worth more than the $50 a month you spend on it. Or not. It really depends on the person.

Destiny won't require a subscription. No more online passes btw, which would make sense due to online being playstation plus only and xbox live only.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Well that's saying that the announced mmos are p2p, if they are I won't be playing them.

Which I'm sure a few of them will be b2p and actually f2p or freemium I.E Planet Side 2.

Well Final Fantasy 11 on 360 was p2p mmorpg but I didnt require XBL gold membership to play it

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Totally fine with it + you get free games to own as long as you sub to PS+ which gives you way more than xbox live.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

but oh well, still doing the playstation plus but shall never sub to [one] game paying 180 a year for it. I'll be damn lol.

I may be doing it too...I sure as hell know that I wont be buying an XBOX ONE that's for sure. If I am going to buy a game for $50 I better damn well OWN it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by tkreep

Well Final Fantasy 11 on 360 was p2p mmorpg but I didnt require XBL gold membership to play it

Ahh okay, wel still unless I missed something the mmos on the ps4 least from what I seen cofirmed, most of them aren't p2p, that's all I'm saying, anti win b2p or planet side 2 payment models are the only ones I care about.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    To me it depends.  I can deal with not playing console games online, since the only games I really like to play online are FPS or MMOs and I would much rather play those on the computer anyway.  I would like to know if it will be as restrictive as XBOX Live where if you don't pay the fee, you can't even use Netflix, Vudu, etc.  That would make me consider just upgrading my pc, buying a long HDMI cord and just playing pc games on the TV when I'm in a consolish mood.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by niceguy3978
    To me it depends.  I can deal with not playing console games online, since the only games I really like to play online are FPS or MMOs and I would much rather play those on the computer anyway.  I would like to know if it will be as restrictive as XBOX Live where if you don't pay the fee, you can't even use Netflix, Vudu, etc.  That would make me consider just upgrading my pc, buying a long HDMI cord and just playing pc games on the TV when I'm in a consolish mood.

A thousand times, this. I haven't seen an official statement about it, but for the PS3, you can do those things, and surf the internet if you want without a PS+ membership. Not so with the XBox 360.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by jtcgs

I may be doing it too...I sure as hell know that I wont be buying an XBOX ONE that's for sure. If I am going to buy a game for $50 I better damn well OWN it.

True, but in a sense due to it being 50 dollars a year and it gives you more than just playing games online, I'll let that slide.

Plus Sony isn't doing the whole DRM an all that other B/S that Xbox One is currently doing, so right now they deserve my Xbox Live money. Even though I prefer online being free like it was for ps3, I'll just let that slide for now. Looking at all the great games comming and that I play online a lot and know I'll use the less than 5 dollars a month to it's fullet, I don't mind.

Now games that come short are the ones that still will require a sub like P2P is a bright idea these days. If Destiny cost p2p which thank the Heavens it doesn't I won't be playing it still lol.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

A thousand times, this. I haven't seen an official statement about it, but for the PS3, you can do those things, and surf the internet if you want without a PS+ membership. Not so with the XBox 360.

I originally bought a ps3 instead of an XBOX mainly because of the charge for playing online.  I didn't know at the time about the other restrictions until I bought my son an XBOX for christmas.  I knew he wouldn't be able to play games on the internet but when he went to watch Netflix, and it wouldn't let him, I was just annoyed. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

PSN+ is not required for streaming media access

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/ps4-owners-will-need-playstation-plus-subscription-for-online-multiplayer/

You still won't need a Plus subscription to use PS4 media features like Netflix, though, while Microsoft still requires a Live subscription to use that service on the Xbox 360.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by alkarionlog i'm amazed about how much people can take and still smile like it was a good thing, companys screw with you and you still smile and take it...
    • Its optional
    • You get free games each month You get discounts on games and movies It doesn't affect your PS3 or PS3 games.
    Over-react much?

I understand paying Sony for their services and their servers, it makes sense, and as I said earlier, membership in something like this drives sales for Microsoft. It makes sense for them to do this.

However, paying for something that would otherwise be free, or for which I'm already paying for is a no go for me. So having to have a PS+ membership to watch Youtube videos or to watch Netflix would be a no go for me. I don't expect them to try and charge for things I can get for free or for which I've already paid for, since they don't do that now. The only thing they seem to be adding is the multiplayer gaming on the console.

Those are still free. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I'm a little saddened by it, but PS+ has been such a great deal I keep it anyways. With a Vita and a PS3 I get so much free stuff, the PS4 will only make it a better deal.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I never got an Xbox live account and sold my Xbox 360 simply because the PS3 seemed to have superior graphics and the online was free. I never noticed any major connection problems with the free service, either. 

It's very disappointing, to say the least, but I'll pay it. At least PS+ costs less than XBL, and PS4 costs less than Xbox One. In the end, PS4 is gonna be better for the price no matter what.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Yes, this is ok. Xbox live has been doing this all along. At least with PS+ we get some free games and discounts on other stuff as well. Xbox live you get to play online and that's it.