Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What a joke...

2»

Comments

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

The fact of the matter is, no mmo has such a loyal fanbase as eve online has. WoW gets new players and loses them equally fast from month to month while a huge portion of the original eve veterans still remain.

Personally, i think the fact that you're playing a game geared for people ages 8-16 removes any credability you had in this discussion. Why dont you go back to themepark online and leave our game alone will ya? Thanks.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Originally posted by hadz
    (I don't think it's good or interesting, and I don't think there is much of a technical achievement in having 17,000 on one server at one time, seeing as there isn't any real interaction with the environment at all, and 200 people in one spot crashes the server anyway)

Name one MMORPG that can support 17,000 players on one server besides EVE Online.

EVE is capable of supporting more than 200 people in one system. If you played the game, you would know.

Also, name one game as deep as EVE Online.

If you can name these 2 things, you may have a point. Otherwise, you're just being a troll.

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

That is actually true when it comes to advertising... I had never heard of EVE-Online before, infact I had it on CD (from a magazine) without knowing what the hell the game was.

Only when a friend of mine who had played for one month told me about the game, only then I started to install it and tried it.

Back then there was only 3-4K players online at peaktimes... but it was fun still and I become a EVE-Online player, and have stayed on ever since.

I personally think it is great to hear that the game set new records even if it is only by a few hundreds... it keeps me reminded that still after 3 years this game is growing... from 3-4 thousand to over 17 thousand people on SAME SERVER !!!!

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

(EDIT: Nah, it hasn't it just got pushed off quickly by a bunch of other links)

See? That news is gone fast and is forgotten even faster, but the needless flaming stays on longer.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• hadzhadz Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by Ranma13

Name one MMORPG that can support 17,000 players on one server besides EVE Online.
    EVE is capable of supporting more than 200 people in one system. If you played the game, you would know.
    If you can name these 2 things, you may have a point. Otherwise, you're just being a troll.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...GUILD WARS...has many many more than 17000 on ONE server (that is, NO SHARDS...which IMHO is the whole point of having "one" server architecture...anyone can talk to and arrange to play with anyone else!!  Even if your friend lives in Korea and you're in the USA you can meet in International "rooms".)

And as for your second point...it depends what you mean by "deep", but I think there's hundreds of games out there as deep (and deeper) than EVE.  As for MMORPGs that are deep, well EVE is more of a politico-economic space simulation that a MMORPG, so it's deep in that sense...but if you're talking about actual in-game systems (gameplay and rules-based) designed by the actual GAME DEVELOPERS then I think there are many MMORPGs that are more involved (ie deep) than EVE.  It all depends what you mean, and what floats your boat.  I mean, for me personally, "player-made" content is generally garbage in a MMORPG, so I certainly wouldn't call that deep.

About the 200 people in a system NOT crashing the servers.  You're obviously ignoring the fact that a month or so ago half the EVE "world" collapsed (along with the login server) when a 200 ship fleet entered a system to battle an 80 ship fleet.

(Oh and pirrg if you're the standard for EVE players then I really think you should ALL stop boasting about your community...assumptions and garbage is all you spout (and this is based on all the other EVE threads I've been in not just your comments here)...I don't play WoW (or GW) any more  nor do I play any other MMORPG at the moment.  I have tried most of the MMOs out there, and am following closely a number of others.  I'm not a WoW-nut, like you keep suggesting (of anyone that doesn't like EVE I might add), but I do think that WoW and GW are 2 of the most refined, enjoyable and "total" experiences that are out there.  (EDIT: Certainly, neither are as deep as EVE sim-wise, but as games I found them a lot more involving and interesting.  I am a "quester" however, so that's a big reason why I think WoW/GW > EVE right there)

...and sorry but which game is designed for 8 to 16 year olds???  If you're talking about WoW then you've just proved you're clueless, 12 to 15 is almost the absolute LOWER limit of WoW players...not the top 1/2.  Plus WoW was VERY heavily aimed at the RTS crowd that played the original Warcrafts (so I guess they were 5-13 when they were playing Warcraft III).  All I can say is Blizzard wasn't aiming this at 8-16 year-olds.

Anecdotally, I personally have met many players in real life who I found out (by chance) were playing WoW and ALL of them were over 25!  Plus of those in my Guild (which formed pretty randomly I might add) only 2 were below 18, the other 15 or so were over that and most were over 20.  Plus I've NEVER met anyone below 12 myself in-game.  Now, I'm not saying they don't exist at all, but they are in an absolute minority...and that's half your made-up range cut out right there.

• Aetius73Aetius73 Member Posts: 1,257

If you don't play any games why do you waste your time trolling and stiring up hostility among a loyal player base? Seems like you are just trying to get a sick piece of entertainment out of a very intensely loyal fan base, or perhaps you are just a frustrated flavor of the month player of the latest and greatest whatever frustrated at Eve's higher rating? Either way you should expect a certain level of hostility especially when you bring up games were people are told by the dev's what to do via the quest system, and not like Eve were you are given the tools to make your own destiny. Some people just can't understand why having the tools to make your own destiny is much more rewarding than getting to run the same maze with all the other mice. How can you compare the two?

• fizzle32fizzle32 Member Posts: 171

Eh this is the Eve fanbase. Heh. Yes, Eve actually has a hardcore fanbase because it's NOT a game.

Eve is a SIMULATION.

People are loyal to it because it's the fanbase that write their own plot. See if it's the developers doing the storyline, and someone says the storyline sucks, thats okay because I'm not the developer.

But if you're spent the last 2 years running a corporation or a star empire, that's a labor of love man, the devs didn't build that WE did. It's the players creating the story, I'm talkin deep rich politics, divided loyalties, council meetings, I mean I personally don't get involved with that stuff but theres some people who do a MASSIVE amount of work running their little slice of space.

You think player driven content sucks because no other game HAS player driven content.

I'm not talking about a bunch of little kids holding a naked alt running contest from Ironforge to Stormwind, I'm talking bout corps and alliance who really get to interact with the plotline and affect it.

In other games if you lose, you lose 5 minutes. In this game, if you lose you lose your friggin HOME. There have been plenty of people who ended up broken and broke, waking up to their clone in empire with no more ships and no more money, their corp disbanded and handed to an alt.

So when we say this is our game, this really IS our game. We didn't code it but we all own a piece of it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...GUILD WARS...has many many more than 17000 on ONE server (that is, NO SHARDS...which IMHO is the whole point of having "one" server architecture...anyone can talk to and arrange to play with anyone else!! Even if your friend lives in Korea and you're in the USA you can meet in International "rooms".)
    And as for your second point...it depends what you mean by "deep", but I think there's hundreds of games out there as deep (and deeper) than EVE. As for MMORPGs that are deep, well EVE is more of a politico-economic space simulation that a MMORPG, so it's deep in that sense...but if you're talking about actual in-game systems (gameplay and rules-based) designed by the actual GAME DEVELOPERS then I think there are many MMORPGs that are more involved (ie deep) than EVE. It all depends what you mean, and what floats your boat. I mean, for me personally, "player-made" content is generally garbage in a MMORPG, so I certainly wouldn't call that deep.
    About the 200 people in a system NOT crashing the servers. You're obviously ignoring the fact that a month or so ago half the EVE "world" collapsed (along with the login server) when a 200 ship fleet entered a system to battle an 80 ship fleet.
    (Oh and pirrg if you're the standard for EVE players then I really think you should ALL stop boasting about your community...assumptions and garbage is all you spout (and this is based on all the other EVE threads I've been in not just your comments here)...I don't play WoW (or GW) any more nor do I play any other MMORPG at the moment. I have tried most of the MMOs out there, and am following closely a number of others. I'm not a WoW-nut, like you keep suggesting (of anyone that doesn't like EVE I might add), but I do think that WoW and GW are 2 of the most refined, enjoyable and "total" experiences that are out there. (EDIT: Certainly, neither are as deep as EVE sim-wise, but as games I found them a lot more involving and interesting. I am a "quester" however, so that's a big reason why I think WoW/GW > EVE right there)
    ...and sorry but which game is designed for 8 to 16 year olds??? If you're talking about WoW then you've just proved you're clueless, 12 to 15 is almost the absolute LOWER limit of WoW players...not the top 1/2. Plus WoW was VERY heavily aimed at the RTS crowd that played the original Warcrafts (so I guess they were 5-13 when they were playing Warcraft III). All I can say is Blizzard wasn't aiming this at 8-16 year-olds.
    Anecdotally, I personally have met many players in real life who I found out (by chance) were playing WoW and ALL of them were over 25! Plus of those in my Guild (which formed pretty randomly I might add) only 2 were below 18, the other 15 or so were over that and most were over 20. Plus I've NEVER met anyone below 12 myself in-game. Now, I'm not saying they don't exist at all, but they are in an absolute minority...and that's half your made-up range cut out right there.

Hadz, you said in your previous post:
    "And I will shut-up about it again...now...mainly because it's just wasting my breath"

You should stick to your "plan".

You will "win nobody over" and nobody will "win you over". This whole thread is just a senseless bashing around. (And imo should be locked anyways). Next time simply ignore EVE News. You will save yourself and others valuable life time.

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• SilverGRSilverGR Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by fizzle32
    Eh this is the Eve fanbase. Heh. Yes, Eve actually has a hardcore fanbase because it's NOT a game.Eve is a SIMULATION.In other games if you lose, you lose 5 minutes. In this game, if you lose you lose your friggin HOME. There have been plenty of people who ended up broken and broke, waking up to their clone in empire with no more ships and no more money, their corp disbanded and handed to an alt.So when we say this is our game, this really IS our game. We didn't code it but we all own a piece of it.

And that is supposed to be a good thing, huh? So you are telling us that a bunch of established mega-corps are running the game and there is no hope whatsoever for players forming new ones to really survive. That is the impression I am getting from what I've read about EVE so far. Which (if true) is exactly what happens in most persistent browser based space strategy games in the net, with fixed alliances which gobble up everything in their path and make "proposals" to new players which cannot be refused.

Originally posted by SilverGR
    Eh this is the Eve fanbase. Heh. Yes, Eve actually has a hardcore fanbase because it's NOT a game.Eve is a SIMULATION.In other games if you lose, you lose 5 minutes. In this game, if you lose you lose your friggin HOME. There have been plenty of people who ended up broken and broke, waking up to their clone in empire with no more ships and no more money, their corp disbanded and handed to an alt.So when we say this is our game, this really IS our game. We didn't code it but we all own a piece of it.

And that is supposed to be a good thing, huh? So you are telling us that a bunch of established mega-corps are running the game and there is no hope whatsoever for players forming new ones to really survive. That is the impression I am getting from what I've read about EVE so far. Which (if true) is exactly what happens in most persistent browser based space strategy games in the net, with fixed alliances which gobble up everything in their path and make "proposals" to new players which cannot be refused.

Where did fizzle say that its that way? Actually my corp was always below 30 members and we still left our mark on parts of the game, we were still able to find a place for ourselves. There are cases of 10 people corps defeating corps with over 100 members, also cases when a small group defeated a force over 6 times their own size (happened several times). Yes, big alliances are the "big players", but then again nobody is invincible in this game as has been proved over and over again. EVE is about teamwork, dedication and organization, and only then about numbers. In EVE a small "guerillia force" can be a real pain in the a**, if they know what they are doing. So yes, what fizzle said is a good thing.

• max001max001 Member UncommonPosts: 95

u know what i'm really impressed about EVE?

it's that EVE is already 3 years old and its still standing strong. 3 years and still no games in its genre can rival EVE. (I hope someone can name me any games that can beat EVE in its categories.)

Normally, most online games start to lose its appeal after 1-2 years. This happens coz there is always a better gameplay, nicer graphic and creative story coming in the near future. When the "near future" arrived, its obvious gamers with play the new game and if they find it good they will stay for quite some time.

I believe in another 2 years, WoW (WoW is celebrating its 1st anniversary) will be dethrone by another new RPG games.

• ScarletMoonScarletMoon Member Posts: 28

EVE lawless spaces run by Player-based Mega empires.

There is 2000 systems which is not lawless, u can do watever u want there .

let the time tells how long EVE will last ...

ZZZ

• MaadiahMaadiah Member Posts: 67

[quote]Originally posted by hadz
    [b]Well woopee! EVE has another pcu record...and who said they only announce them on multiples of 1000.
    [url=http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/4118]
    It appears they've achieved the marvelous feat of hitting 17,816 users on line at one time.
    Can't wait till they hit 17,817 and make another announcement!! image[/b][/quote]

OK lemme see.... the temperature in Sheepshag, Montana is 0.52 degrees lower on this day than it was in 1967 and the news is broadcast to 295,734,134 Americans on CNN...

Now THAT'S News we can't live without....

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Blarg.  Yeah I don't think the question anymore is how long EVE will "last" considering the player base are fanatics.  I think the question is if they'll ever stop growing.  I mean they just put out a quarterly magazine a month or so ago that has advertisements and interviews of in-game corporations.  I hardly think a game that has it's own magazine is going to fall anytime soon. 

That would be like Warhammer (the tabletop game) all of a sudden collapsing.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Originally posted by Ranma13

I've said it before, I'll say it again...GUILD WARS...has many many more than 17000 on ONE server (that is, NO SHARDS...which IMHO is the whole point of having "one" server architecture...anyone can talk to and arrange to play with anyone else!!  Even if your friend lives in Korea and you're in the USA you can meet in International "rooms".)

And as for your second point...it depends what you mean by "deep", but I think there's hundreds of games out there as deep (and deeper) than EVE.  As for MMORPGs that are deep, well EVE is more of a politico-economic space simulation that a MMORPG, so it's deep in that sense...but if you're talking about actual in-game systems (gameplay and rules-based) designed by the actual GAME DEVELOPERS then I think there are many MMORPGs that are more involved (ie deep) than EVE.  It all depends what you mean, and what floats your boat.  I mean, for me personally, "player-made" content is generally garbage in a MMORPG, so I certainly wouldn't call that deep.

About the 200 people in a system NOT crashing the servers.  You're obviously ignoring the fact that a month or so ago half the EVE "world" collapsed (along with the login server) when a 200 ship fleet entered a system to battle an 80 ship fleet.

(Oh and pirrg if you're the standard for EVE players then I really think you should ALL stop boasting about your community...assumptions and garbage is all you spout (and this is based on all the other EVE threads I've been in not just your comments here)...I don't play WoW (or GW) any more  nor do I play any other MMORPG at the moment.  I have tried most of the MMOs out there, and am following closely a number of others.  I'm not a WoW-nut, like you keep suggesting (of anyone that doesn't like EVE I might add), but I do think that WoW and GW are 2 of the most refined, enjoyable and "total" experiences that are out there.  (EDIT: Certainly, neither are as deep as EVE sim-wise, but as games I found them a lot more involving and interesting.  I am a "quester" however, so that's a big reason why I think WoW/GW > EVE right there)

...and sorry but which game is designed for 8 to 16 year olds???  If you're talking about WoW then you've just proved you're clueless, 12 to 15 is almost the absolute LOWER limit of WoW players...not the top 1/2.  Plus WoW was VERY heavily aimed at the RTS crowd that played the original Warcrafts (so I guess they were 5-13 when they were playing Warcraft III).  All I can say is Blizzard wasn't aiming this at 8-16 year-olds.

Anecdotally, I personally have met many players in real life who I found out (by chance) were playing WoW and ALL of them were over 25!  Plus of those in my Guild (which formed pretty randomly I might add) only 2 were below 18, the other 15 or so were over that and most were over 20.  Plus I've NEVER met anyone below 12 myself in-game.  Now, I'm not saying they don't exist at all, but they are in an absolute minority...and that's half your made-up range cut out right there.

Sorry for the double-post, but I had to respond to this.  First, the battle system in EVE is the most advanced and in-depth I've ever seen.

Second, Guild Wars is definitely sharded.  I can't believe you haven't noticed the little thing in the upper left corner of your screen when you're in a town that says "North America: 11" 11 being an instance that you can go to by zoning, and rezoning.  I would have to say that means there's more than one server, but either way.

Third, I would have to say that WoW is geared for the entire fan-base from ages 7 to probably about 25.  My nephew, age 9, played the game to lvl 30 in about 2 weeks.....  To me that says a lot about the difficulty and "depth" of that game.  And if you look at the way the game is being designed, it's on the side of comedic, cartoon fun.  I mean they have a freaking boardgame coming out!!!!!  Boardgame just doesn't scream "mature audience."  And of course there are people that are over 20 that play.  That doesn't mean that they're mature.  The game wasn't made as a "serious" or "mature" game.  It was made for fun.  you can't even compare it to EVE.

Fourth.  The player-made content in EVE is astounding to say the least, just check out the NAPs and alliances, and wars going on if you want content.  I barely even do any in-game missions because there's always a corp/alliance operation that I can join up with, whether it be mining, rating, or pvp.  To call it garbage would be naive at the very least.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• fizzle32fizzle32 Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by SilverGR

Tell that to Xetic, Curse, TPS, Stain, NSA, FU and FA. LOL all of them established allianced that got ousted, new Alliances in their place.

This game owns. But I do not recommend it for you, you sound like a carebear, you couldn't handle this game.

Now run off and go play WoW little man. LOL

• hadzhadz Member Posts: 712

Originally posted by Maadiah

OK lemme see.... the temperature in Sheepshag, Montana is 0.52 degrees lower on this day than it was in 1967 and the news is broadcast to 295,734,134 Americans on CNN...
    Now THAT'S News we can't live without....

Thanks Maadiah...you have just proven my whole point with this thread...I think I'll leave it there.
  • HatorianHatorian Member Posts: 164
    Well the report is good news to EVE online developers, considering that its 3 yrs older than other games and it only has one server. That only means many players are now trying space MMOG or they got tired of the usual hack and slash to level up game, cuz in EVE you don't gain exp, rather you try to make enough money to buy new skills to learn, learning skills can take a few hours up to even a few days. These skills will allow you to mine better, knowledge yourself in different weapons, navigate jumps better and allow you to pilot better ships.

Im Amazed..... NOT!!!