Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite book or book series of all time

Comments

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by Dexter2010
    "Book of Swords" series by Fred Saberhagen.

Oh that is great, one of my faves is the Complete Book of Swords.  I can't find it though, I think I read it too many times and it got trashed :)

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955
    Originally posted by bliss14

Oh that is great, one of my faves is the Complete Book of Swords.  I can't find it though, I think I read it too many times and it got trashed :)

yea, that was a cool series

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

The Elric Saga, by Michael Moorcock.

Elric is the original anti-hero, he Is a tortured soul that has a sword that eats peoples souls.

He is very sickly, and the energy from the souls gives him super strength and keeps him alive.

Originally posted by ghoul31

The Elric Saga, by Michael Moorcock.

Elric is the original anti-hero, he Is a tortured soul that has a sword that eats peoples souls.

He is very sickly, and the energy from the souls gives him super strength and keeps him alive.

Yep all of the Eternal Champion books are good, I like Hawkmoon as well.

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

It took me ages to find a mint condition hard cover version of the Complete Book of Swords. I'm afraid to read it lest I damage it.

It took me ages to find a mint condition hard cover version of the Complete Book of Swords. I'm afraid to read it lest I damage it.

Woot!  Found it. Time to read it again :)

• Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

Woot!  Found it. Time to read it again :)

/high five!

I hate to say it but I didn't really enjoy his other series (eg. Face of Apollo).

I also liked Starseed by Spider Robinson and Jeanne Robinson, The Talismans of Shannara  by Terry Brooks, and 1984 by George Orwell.

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

the "Horseclans" series by Robert Adams

quite the read

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by MeltdownZA
    The Riftwar Saga Trilogy by Raymond E Feist!Although I have to say I'm loving Game of Thrones books too.
    I think Riftwar would be mine, too. Currently re-reading this series :)

Series are tough for me to read, usually. I usually enjoy the first book or two as I meet and get to know the characters involved. But then most series have a tendency to wonder off, seeking quite different stories from the original idea. Feist's Riftwar series kept me interested as all his characters grew in every book, keeping connected stories going on.

I also need to mention Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series, too. But eventually, I lose interest, like when they start using the dragons for interstellar space travel. She explains the process well and makes it believable, it just journeys into areas I personally did not enjoy as much. Her "supplemental" books are good reads, too, as she takes a deeper look into some characters and history of Pern.

Anne McCaffrey's Sci-Fi series "Acorna the Unicorn Girl" is also worth mentioning. I love the first 3 books before she lost my interest :) (Not a big fan of time travel.)

I have had a fun time reading Wen Spencer's "Tinker" series. She recently came out with book #3 about a year ago. This is one of those few books where I find myself laughing out loud as I read them. Often.

As a child, Encyclopedia Brown was TOPS!

So many books... so little time...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by MeltdownZA
    The Riftwar Saga Trilogy by Raymond E Feist!

Although I have to say I'm loving Game of Thrones books too.

I think Riftwar would be mine, too. Currently re-reading this series :)

Series are tough for me to read, usually. I usually enjoy the first book or two as I meet and get to know the characters involved. But then most series have a tendency to wonder off, seeking quite different stories from the original idea. Feist's Riftwar series kept me interested as all his characters grew in every book, keeping connected stories going on.

I also need to mention Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern series, too. But eventually, I lose interest, like when they start using the dragons for interstellar space travel. She explains the process well and makes it believable, it just journeys into areas I personally did not enjoy as much. Her "supplemental" books are good reads, too, as she takes a deeper look into some characters and history of Pern.

Anne McCaffrey's Sci-Fi series "Acorna the Unicorn Girl" is also worth mentioning. I love the first 3 books before she lost my interest :) (Not a big fan of time travel.)

I have had a fun time reading Wen Spencer's "Tinker" series. She recently came out with book #3 about a year ago. This is one of those few books where I find myself laughing out loud as I read them. Often.

As a child, Encyclopedia Brown was TOPS!

So many books... so little time...

^ My second grade students still read Encyclopedia Brown!  Those were classics for sure. 

Anne McCaffrey's books helped start my love for the genre!  Her books, along with the Drizzt books, began my love of all things fantasy.

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I haven't read a series since I was a wittle boy. Animorphs were fun to read. I read them all except the last book or two. No idea why I read the thirty books or so that made up the series and stopped a couple of books short. I liked it because the kids mattered and could make a difference. Pretending to be the different animals was fun too.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

Favorite book is Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche.

• Stammel_DesperadoStammel_Desperado Member Posts: 14

The ultimate book series is The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series.

R.I.P Dad (Adam D. Young) Nov. 4th, 1973 to Feb. 21, 2013! I love you and miss you very very much.

"It is no good getting furious if you get stuck. What I do is keep thinking about the problem but work on something else. Sometimes it is years before I see the way forward. In the case of information loss and black holes, it was 29 years." -Stephen Hawking

Originally posted by Stammel_Desperado

The ultimate book series is The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series.

See, I didn't care after a while for Tolkien.  Alot of his writing kind of read to me as prose and I just didn't like that a whole lot.  Not to say I don't regard LOTR as one of the greateast series of all time, just didn't like some of the rhythm of it after a while. 

Many people also bring up Martin's opus, A Song of Ice and Fire.  Man did I love some of that storytelling.  If I could hit that guy on the forehead and say one word though, it would be "Focus!".   Tell your story.

I just finished the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and it's pretty darn good.  Logan is a great character imo, one minute an introspective, somewhat gentle fellow and the next a murderous fiend.  Fun stuff.
  • hyperman29hyperman29 Member Posts: 4

To anyone who has said Tolkien/LotR: you have my love!

Personally I'd rate CS Lewis up there too, apart from the poort execution of the ending to his series.

While I'm here, Game of Thrones the book series I personally feel is horrid. Expanding from an original planned trilogy to a series of 7 books? Sounds like GRRM can't get enough time in the spotlight. The TV show is pretty dope though.

I just finished the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and it's pretty darn good.  Logan is a great character imo, one minute an introspective, somewhat gentle fellow and the next a murderous fiend.  Fun stuff.

I am so anxious to read this trilogy and plan to after finishing my current book.  I cannot seem to find it on an ereader format though. 

Originally posted by Avoxia

I am so anxious to read this trilogy and plan to after finishing my current book.  I cannot seem to find it on an ereader format though. 

I got two of them on my kindle from amazon.  I suppose if you have a different reader the selection is different though. 

I reason a Nook but I have an iPad so I can always download the amazon reader. I just hate reading on the iPad. The Nook simp,e touch with glow light is awesome!

I actually like to read on my comp monitor.  I have a standup desk so I don't feel quite so sedentary when I read on it :)

@Bliss - I like to read at the beach and the screen on the Nook simple touch is great for that - I forget if you read the Rothfuss books?  They're A-MAZ-ING if you haven't already go now.  PS. What MMO do you play?

@Bliss - I like to read at the beach and the screen on the Nook simple touch is great for that - I forget if you read the Rothfuss books?  They're A-MAZ-ING if you haven't already go now.  PS. What MMO do you play?

My kindle fire is kind of hard to read in sunlight, although I like to take it out at night if i'm fishing :) 

The Rothfuss books are fantastic.  Most likely my favorite new series.  I wish they would come out more quickly - but I feel that way about every decent series lol.  Brandon Sanderson is also a very good new author imo. 

I play GW2 once in a while, that is about it at the moment.  Although I have Neverwinter installed I don't play it.

My kindle fire is kind of hard to read in sunlight, although I like to take it out at night if i'm fishing :) 

The Rothfuss books are fantastic.  Most likely my favorite new series.  I wish they would come out more quickly - but I feel that way about every decent series lol.  Brandon Sanderson is also a very good new author imo. 

I play GW2 once in a while, that is about it at the moment.  Although I have Neverwinter installed I don't play it.

Right?!?!  Those books are amazing  - I couldn't read them fast enough but at the same time did not want them to end!  Did you read Brent Weeks' "Night Angle" trilogy?  It's a little gritty/dark but I think you'd like it - the POV is from an assassin and it was a delicious read!  Also "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was amazing, POV from a thief.  

I wanted to try NW as well - I hear you can play drow?  The Drizzt books were my gateway drugs into the genre. :)

Right?!?!  Those books are amazing  - I couldn't read them fast enough but at the same time did not want them to end!  Did you read Brent Weeks' "Night Angle" trilogy?  It's a little gritty/dark but I think you'd like it - the POV is from an assassin and it was a delicious read!  Also "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was amazing, POV from a thief.  

I wanted to try NW as well - I hear you can play drow?  The Drizzt books were my gateway drugs into the genre. :)

The Lies of Locke Lamora is on my list to read, just haven't gotten there yet.  I've heard of Brent Weeks, just haven't given him a shot.  I'll try it out sometime :) 

Yeah the Dark Elf trilogy was one that helped bring me into the sci fi/ fantasy genre too.  I still have them sitting on my shelf, used and abused.

You will love Locke Lamora. Some of the bet writing I've read! It's supposed to be a longer series but the author's webpage says he's dealing with depression. ???? After you're finished, you'll want to make a thieving RP guild somewhere. Considering the Malazan series next.

All this reading is why I cannot stick to an MMO!