Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: The Dragon Bash

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, ArenaNet announced the next Guild Wars 2 event in the form of Dragon Bash. We managed to grab some time with the dev team to check out the new content. See what we discovered and our inside impressions. Head to the comments to continue the discussion.

The Dragon Bash is way different.  While the Dragon Festival was about celebration, the Dragon Bash feels more like a distraction for the people of Tyria.  It really focuses on citizens bashing and taking out their anger in some way or another.  Think about it, the fair citizens of the world have been attacked by the undead and dragons.  Many have even lost their homes.  I don’t know about you, but if I lived in Tyria, I would probably have enough rage and anger to turn into the Hulk. While the Dragon Bash wasn’t created to unite an empire, I still think it’s just what the people of Tyria need at this point. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: The Dragon Bash.

Who wouldn’t want to use this shield?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Weapon skins are nice. I wonder what will armor look like
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

First part?  So..after this weekend's fireworks there  will be more?

The whole event does sound like fun though.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Sounds great.  My only gripe with the article was the comment about how this holiday demonstrates that Anet has learned from the past holiday events.  In what sense?  It never went on to explain that statement.  Everything it did explain about the Dragon Bash sounded exactly like Halloween and Wintersday - which were absolutely awesome, but if there's no distinction, why make that statement?  
  • JerlerJerler Member Posts: 5

I'm wondering if this will be a setup for more of the storyline involving the dragons (e.g. Dragon ceremony turning into a dragon crisis)

There's alot of places the story could go, but is it gonna take us a year to kill each one? I dont think Tyria has that long, and it seems like a good time to at least update on what at one or two of them is doing.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

David failed to mention that the weapon skins are heavily gated behind abysmal RNG odds.  So, first you need to get a rare chest to drop.  THEN, if you get that drop, there is a 1% chance that you'll get a weapon skin ticket.  Additionally, you can opt to spend real money on a chest through the Cash Shop to get a ticket.  However, even if you pay that way, you still only get a rare chance at finding that skin.

There are a lot of unhappy players over how ANET has continued gating content behind RNG odds.

I'm sure the event will be fun.  Hoping to get a chest as a drop, or a skin from that?  Don't get your hopes up. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Best game on the market keeps getting better.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43

Its a pity how they smashed the IP to bits with their cashshops and diddely doo "Ooooh look at me, my shield has a fancy dancy dragon in it", why not make it a proper game instead.

• JerlerJerler Member Posts: 5

I'm wondering if this will be a setup for more of the storyline involving the dragons (e.g. Dragon ceremony turning into a dragon crisis)

There's alot of places the story could go, but is it gonna take us a year to kill each one? I dont think Tyria has that long, and it seems like a good time to at least update on what at one or two of them is doing.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by blohm86

Its a pity how they smashed the IP to bits with their cashshops and diddely doo "Ooooh look at me, my shield has a fancy dancy dragon in it", why not make it a proper game instead.

Because they can make more money abusing their core fanbase?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by blohm86

Because they can make more money abusing their core fanbase?

All games to this - please don't get on the high horse and pick on one.

People WANT the fancy shield, they want to look different and so they will pay. Not a big deal to me although the fest looks fun and cool.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Keep the updates rolling anet!!

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by Telondariel

There are a lot of unhappy players over how ANET has continued gating content behind RNG odds.

So rare cosmetics acquired through RNG luck is called content gating these days? I remember when the term content gating was used for the neverending raid armor grind to be able to get into the next raid, eg content you actually play instead of some fluff item for display.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

the drop rate on sclerite weapon tickets is way too low.  I know personally.

AND - I haven't seen anyone with a sclerite weapon skin on - at all.

I really hope the rate for dragon bash is not anywhere near as low.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by lilHeala

So rare cosmetics acquired through RNG luck is called content gating these days? I remember when the term content gating was used for the neverending raid armor grind to be able to get into the next raid, eg content you actually play instead of some fluff item for display.

You obviously have no clue just how bad the RNG is. It's not even at 1% like the player before you mentioned. You literally have a 0.004% chance to get a crate and then have the same chance to get a weapon skin ticket. So it's not only horrible RNG odds, but you're being barred by two RNG gates.

It seems like ANet's original vision has been completely blacked out by greed.

Smile

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Gw2 events never captured me like they did in GW1. The main reason for this is the playerculling in the main cities. It is just not fun for us to barely see any other players show up untill you wait for seconds in a single spot. When you start moving again, players disappear again.

Has this been improved yet?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Get your freaking heads together about "gated content". Yes there's heavy cash shop involvement but we're talking about cosmetic items here. God, people are unbelievable.

Just don't care at all for the skin, period. It's not like the game is forcing you to obtain them.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Razeekster

You obviously have no clue just how bad the RNG is. It's not even at 1% like the player before you mentioned. You literally have a 0.004% chance to get a crate and then have the same chance to get a weapon skin ticket. So it's not only horrible RNG odds, but you're being barred by two RNG gates.

Yes, damn you ANet for making a profit and developing all these free content updates!  I haven't seen one change in my wallet from launch day until now.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Your missing his point... Who cares about cosmetics? Calling cosmetics gated content is the most stupid comment ever. You guys obviously have no idea of what gated content means unlike lilHeala.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I still love the game but these so-so updates are getting irritating. 
  • For those of you complaining about the RNG there was a comment on GW2Hub that mentioned they would be dropping fairly frequently, also there are 2 types of chest, a cash shop one with a higher chance and random drop with lower chance, Im hoping this is what he means by ANet learning from the past.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/media/gallery/dragons-jade-weapon-gallery

Not proof but may hint that they are learning.

• http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/dragon-bash-begins

Also mentioned here 'the chances of obtaining a weapon ticket is quite generous'

• 'The odds are much better than before'

From the above link. From Will Fairfield.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

you know ... its now "gated content" when you have to play for a drop.

Know how they really would make a ton of money? Release the "100% pack" for 500€. You get everything there is in the game, all achievements, minis, skins unlocked. every char at 80. I bet all my money that would be bought in the hundreds :D

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Just shame they didn't do open world PvP in this game. Would be so much fun. But like this, I just had to stop playing after couple months. Its too much WoW like in terms of - farm tons of shit so you can later farm another tons of shit. :/ Anet you can do better.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• 'The odds are much better than before'

From the above link. From Will Fairfield.