Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to Play Model vs. Rift's & and a few other Aion queries!

AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

Hey! 

I play MMOs with my husband and two other RL friends and we've all wanted to try something other than our usual WoW.  We are not AntiWow, just ready for a change. 

We tried both Rift and Aion, and Aion seems to be the best free to play option.  I liked Rift but have concerns about the upcoming cash shop. We tried TERA but my ancient gaming laptop couldn't handle the graphics.  

Anyway, a few questions:

1. How steep is the learning curve?  I feel that we always return to Wow because we know the ins and outs of it.  From finding the capital cities, to know what professions enhance each other, etc. We're not lazy about leawe just are working full time adults who want to play when they log in rather than spend that time reading articles. 

2. Are their servers that promote NA EST play times?

3. We love PvP, is Siel best for this?

thank you in advance. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

Comments

• tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52
    what era  of uo and did you everplay the free shards
  • AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    I played UO:R up until Age of Shadows. We all quit when WoW was released.

I miss my bard and my thief sneaking around Bucs Den. Lol.

And I've seen some video clips for private servers and I see bright purple nightmares and pink polAr bears. Lol.

Some of my old UO friends play on Atlantic now, how bout you?

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

aion has a cash shop, just like TERA and rift will... all 3  basically share identical models, except aion there is no "premium" sub where you get tiny bonuses like a special mount or some other jazz for paying for it... none of the games will lock you out of any content, none of the games will force you to use the cash shop although all of them encourge it with say "chests" that you need to purchase keys to open them for loot that is generally also collectable in game, but obviously more grindy if you are to do so, mounts that you can or cant get in game, visual weapon skins etc....

None of them force you to use the cash shop and i can imagine Trion worlds would taint their game by making a cash shop t hats pay to win, i except they will have items just like the other two.. i actually think you can see the cash shop on the rift PTR atm.

Aion is good, if you love PvP then you'll really like it considering it thrusts you into PvP to really keep leveling later on in the game *BRING ON THE MISTS* the learning curve isnt very steep and it eases you into the gameplay as you go along.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

1. The learning curve is not steep at all.  If you have played other MMOs, Rift will feel familiar.  The only part of the game I would consider to have a steeper learning curve is the soul system.  If you follow a "calling" or a build posted on the forums, you should be fine.  Do note that builds posted on the forums may not be up-to-date due to large balance and skill changes in the Storm Legion expansion.  If the build is older than 2013, chances are it needs updated.

2. All of the NA servers are in Austin, TX, if I remember correctly.  Server transfers are free after level 20, so if you don't like the server you're on, you can switch.  I think it has a 7-day cooldown between transfers.

3. I am not a big fan of PvP in any game, so I couldn't answer that question.  See #2 for server transfers.

More explanation about the soul system:  

If you want a comparison to WoW, it is similar to talent trees.  The difference is you can choose three trees out of nine for each class.  The individual trees may be focused on tanking, dps, healing, or support.  As you put points into the top part of each tree, it unlocks abilities in the bottom part for you to use which make up the core of your class.  

The game will start you off in a "calling" based on your choices at character creation.  If you allow the game to do so, it will make a build for you based on some pre-made builds.  If you are comfortable with making your own build or find a build on the forums, a respec is fairly inexpensive for new players.  You can also unlock more soul slots which allow you to have multiple builds saved.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    RIFT will feel more familiar to you as its almost identical to WOW yet different. It offers more then Aion IMO.

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

both games are pretty good imho, but i personally like aion than rift because of PVP since rift's is just pretty lack luster for my taste. but PVE wise, i think RIFT wins.

3.) Siel, i believe, has the most number of players playing at any given time. the only knock is that the factions aren't actually balanced, asmodians are pretty outnumbered it is like 1 asmodians to 10 or 15 elyos LOL.

• RhypoRhypo Member UncommonPosts: 23

I played both and stuck with Aion, mostly because of the PvP and the fast paced combat mechanics & animations. Also with the new patch coming on the 26th of june, leveling will get even easier, they add 2 new huge endgame zones that are for the most part free for all pvp outside of some safe zones. 2 new classes and like 13 new instances.

Besides the free for all pvp you also have a 12v12 battleground, a 6v6 battleground, fortress sieges, 3v3 arena, 8 player free for all arena...they are only available between certain hours of the day but as you can see there are plenty of options.

Crafting is a bit rage inducing at times, since you depend on RNG to get a a good item.

I think siel is pretty balanced when it comes to pvp and pve players, and yes the asmodian faction is outnumbered by the elyos but recently we have put up a hell of a fight and on alot of days we can beat the elyos on sieges even if outnumbered.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Rhypo

I played both and stuck with Aion, mostly because of the PvP and the fast paced combat mechanics & animations. Also with the new patch coming on the 26th of june, leveling will get even easier, they add 2 new huge endgame zones that are for the most part free for all pvp outside of some safe zones. 2 new classes and like 13 new instances.

Besides the free for all pvp you also have a 12v12 battleground, a 6v6 battleground, fortress sieges, 3v3 arena, 8 player free for all arena...they are only available between certain hours of the day but as you can see there are plenty of options.

Crafting is a bit rage inducing at times, since you depend on RNG to get a a good item.

I think siel is pretty balanced when it comes to pvp and pve players, and yes the asmodian faction is outnumbered by the elyos but recently we have put up a hell of a fight and on alot of days we can beat the elyos on sieges even if outnumbered.

Thx. =) Are you also on Siel?

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Aion is alright besides the dam enchanting crap what a waist of time 1 reason i dont like the game and all the gold spammers. Rift for me is way more fun and balanced the cash shop is far from p2w all the equipment you can buy is crap. I have seen maybe 1 gold spammer in rift very nice compared to Aion thats all you see. Anyways rift is just about the same as wow just more or differnt stuff. Aion is a korean grind fest but not bad for free.