Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What i don't get about Dark and Light is...

How do they plan to have more than EVE has in one world with no instances :

When apparently the world is like 100 times bigger than SWG

SWG lags enough thank you very much

---------------------------------------------
Don't click here...no2

Comments

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

It's a matter of implementation and, lacking access to their implementations, you can't do a direct comparison based on world size. As players we can't but wait and see how it will work when it's released.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Just because a server says it's CAPABLE of holding x amount of people, its actual capacity may be way less. We won't know just how many people DnL can support until it launches.

EVE is also much harder on the server lag. Imagine 5000 people at once calling up the market data.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well i think its every proper mmorpg player wish to have a big world with thousands fighting at same time or trading.

Now whether any mmorpg can actually put 50k+ on same world is another matter.Funcom was asked this numerous times during development and they said they had the technology to have over 50k ppl per server well later on they had to admit even 20k per server was totally unrealistic.

Considering how unstable i seen game servers since then i doubt the technology concerning server hosting has drastically improved in last 4 years as games holding under 5k ppl per server such as WoW have very unstable servers.

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

Originally posted by hercules

Well i think its every proper mmorpg player wish to have a big world with thousands fighting at same time or trading.
    Now whether any mmorpg can actually put 50k+ on same world is another matter.Funcom was asked this numerous times during development and they said they had the technology to have over 50k ppl per server well later on they had to admit even 20k per server was totally unrealistic.
    Considering how unstable i seen game servers since then i doubt the technology concerning server hosting has drastically improved in last 4 years as games holding under 5k ppl per server such as WoW have very unstable servers.

being able to have 50k people on 1 server and being able to have 50k people on 1 server and have it work smoothly are 2 different things.
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

As far as I'm concerned the concept of "One Server/Realm" is DnL's last saving grace.

Honestly though, I think that once this game actually launches we're going to see more of what we've already seen from this company, more lies, miss-information and back peddling. But I guess only time will tell, I certainly hope I'm wrong and this new multi-server for one mass world technology is really all they crack it up to be but going on their current track record I'm highly doubtfull.

• Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259

Even EVE reached a critical mass, and places like Rens and Oursulaert are now extremely laggy to move thru. They've recently speant money on new hardware and are revamping some of the in-game systems (like manufacturing) in an effort to address the lag. Single game galaxies/worlds is a great idea. I just don't know if we're technologically at the stage in computers yet where it can be realistic. At 15K people online in the same galaxy, EVE is starting to experience some problems in their versions of West Britain Bank (UO) or pre-CU Coronet and Theed (SWG).

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• Eragon9999Eragon9999 Member Posts: 13
    How do you get that xfire thing in your Bio?
  • DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by shae

As far as I'm concerned the concept of "One Server/Realm" is DnL's last saving grace.
    Honestly though, I think that once this game actually launches we're going to see more of what we've already seen from this company, more lies, miss-information and back peddling. But I guess only time will tell, I certainly hope I'm wrong and this new multi-server for one mass world technology is really all they crack it up to be but going on their current track record I'm highly doubtfull.

I think when it launches we will see that the community manager is named none other than Egomancer.
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Originally posted by dekron

I think when it launches we will see that the community manager is named none other than Egomancer.

Are you trying to confuse me on purpose Dek (which is really not all that hard to do ) or am I missing something :) image
  • DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

Originally posted by dekron
    Honestly though, I think that once this game actually launches we're going to see more of what we've already seen from this company, more lies, miss-information and back peddling. But I guess only time will tell, I certainly hope I'm wrong and this new multi-server for one mass world technology is really all they crack it up to be but going on their current track record I'm highly doubtfull. I think when it launches we will see that the community manager is named none other than Egomancer.Are you trying to confuse me on purpose Dek (which is really not all that hard to do ) or am I missing something :) image

I think it's because Egomancer is probably the most responsive, talks most on forums, person they have.

I do believe I am missing something too though.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• SavilzSavilz Member UncommonPosts: 53
      Would be cool to see how they will do it though, I like the way the game is design around pvping... none has come close to the way DAOC pvp was and i liked how that was so i'm hoping DnL is somewhat similar.