Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game like Ultima Online?

InlorInlor Member Posts: 37

Hi there,

first of all I would like to apologize for my poor English. As I am from a non english speaking country I am not used to write in English at all:)

Now back to topic :)

I have played Ultima Online for about 10 years (more or less, with quite a few breaks between) on OSI and several freeshards, I have played WoW for about 2 years and tried several other MMOs (Warhammer Online, Atlantica Online, LotRO, Tibia). Currently I am playing Guild Wars 2 on which I had put all my hopes, but I am already noticing that my interest is already fading...

Perhaps you guys, as real experts in this area, can point me to a MMO that I can love for the next 10 years?

I am looking for game that contains the following aspects:

Absolutely essential:

- a great and active PvP system (I do not care if it is Full Loot oder Theme Park style. I loved WoW because (and not instead) of the PvP system; i enjoyed Pre-Trammel-Fighting in UO; I am looking for an active PvP community. I do not care if it is instanced, Battlegrounds, Realm vs Realm etc. although I would prefer Open PvP; and it does not have to be completely balanced as gear based pvp is never balanced)

- considerable game depth (perhaps similar to Ultima Online; simply put: there should be enough stuff to keep my interest for a long time)

- a "living" and perhaps striving game (I do not want to put my heart in a game that will probably be shut down in a couple of months)

Nice to have:

- a great crafting system

- housing (preferably non instanced)

- an adult community

- sandbox (rather than theme park)

- a western MMO (because of the time zone, so no korean MMO)

Not so important:

- graphics

- 2D/3D

So, is there a game like this out there? Is there another Ultima Online?

From what I have learned so long, there are several games that combine a few of these aspects?

- The secret world (nice story, nice setting, but no reasonable pvp system? And bad sales, so will probably decline?)

- Darkfall Online (great PvP, but lacks all other stuff; all seem to wait for patch 2.0, which has yet to be announced?)

- Age of Online (great graphics, interesting setting, but seems to be dying?)

- Rift (basically WoW 2.0? So I could just play WoW instead?)

- Runescape (quite old, Free 2 Play; how is PvP?)

- Eve Online (seems to come closest to what I am looking for?)

Thank you very much!

Comments

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Go back play Ultima and hope ArcheAge will rock the mmo world and appears for the western market anytime soon.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    LinkRealms is free and it;s in the old Ultima/Diablo kinda style.. no levels, all skill ups, you can even own your own land  (for a real world price if you so choose)  But the key here is it's free, and it's a nice time filler.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Talgen
    LinkRealms is free and it;s in the old Ultima/Diablo kinda style.. no levels, all skill ups, you can even own your own land  (for a real world price if you so choose)  But the key here is it's free, and it's a nice time filler.

Linksrealms is nothing like UO's skill system. A player can max everything and ruins what UO was all about.

OP, go back to UO. There's nothing else like it sadly. And it's not dying anytime soon, they just got a few new team members on the game and the producer put out a lengthy letter on plans for the forseeable future. Pet revamps, armor rebalancing, redoing the entire set of Britainna dungeons, redoing factions (the pvp system), etc.

• InlorInlor Member Posts: 37

Thanks a lot for your answers!

I think, nevertheless, I will give Linksrealms a try and see for myself. The video on their homepage reminds me a lot of UO. And for the future, I will put my hopes on Archage.

I find it quite sad that after all those years there seems to be no other game like UO. I wish some company would  develop a game just like UO, with modern graphics and even more game depth. They surely would not reach the subscription numbers of theme park mmos, but they would find an adult and loyal fanbase and could quite make a living of it.

Has anyone tested Eve Online? How is it in comparison to UO?

• VerticalSumVerticalSum Member UncommonPosts: 12

I'd highly recommend checking out Darkfall:  Unholy Wars.

It's going to go live in 2 months and is THE closest thing you'll find to UO out there... MANY of us who have played the original Darkfall for years are UO vets.  Darkfall is full loot, highly skill based, highly clan/guild warfare oriented.

If you're a competitive gamer with a drive to win... do yourself a favor and check it out.

Bring it.

• SekkrahSekkrah Member Posts: 11

Mortal Online has everything you are asking for, including all of the "nice to have" features and much more.  While Darkfall is more of a PvP arena, Mortal Online is a true sandbox and you'll see the UO influence as soon as you log in.  It even uses the same UO flagging and murdercount system.  We have player housing (with guildstones), keeps and palisades for guilds and the most amazing crafting system an MMO has ever seen.

Mounts and taming are similar to UO in that everything is tamed in the wild, but MO takes it much further than UO did with domination and animal genetics that allows you to breed them for specific characteristics.

When it comes to PvP, the closest game I can think of to how it functions would be Mount & Blade with directional attacks, blocking and parries.

If you do try the game, hop in a guild as soon as you can as it helps a lot.  If you add me to your friends list I'll try to show you the ropes too.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The game I found that was most like UO was Ashen Empires....The world had a similar look and feel to UO but does some things differently.....Its a fairly small download and runs even on older PCs.
  • kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Well Darkfall Unholy wars is out right now and actually looks REALLY fun from the pvp videos I can't stop watching lol.  It seems pretty shitty in the beginning from first look video's I've seen but after more research it sounds kind of amazing.  It's 40$ + 15$ a month though which is somewhat depressing, Though I think you can get the game free if you still remember your DF1 account.

btw dw, you english is actually really good =p

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I'd say Linkrealms is the closest to ultima online. Still in beta, its been in that state for very long time. Since 2004... when i last time tried, it felt instantly ultima like. Lots of great features : 
    • Free to Play MMO: No limits on skill, travel, or loot.
    • Land Ownership: Build anything you want on your own acre.
    • Customized Characters: Everyone can look unique.
    • Skill Based: You are not locked into a particular class or profession.
    • Non-Instanced Dungeons: Collect rare artifacts and loot.
    • Player Owned Vendors: Take a cut of the action.
    • Farming: Grow, harvest, use or sell your own crops.
    • Crafting: Build your own armor, brew or cook food and beverages.
    • Pet Breeding: Offspring inherit cosmetic and behavioral genes.
    • Pet Training: Shape your pet's behavior with reward and discipline.
    Might give it ago again meself! :)

edit: Oh how did i miss those other linkrealm posts... Oh well.

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...