Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would "gold battlecruisers" bring more casual players to eve ?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by cdestey

Originally posted by apanz3r

Originally posted by hfztt Free ships and player driven economy dont mix. Free ships and feeling of real loss dont mix. It is as simple as that.
    Please back your answer with a projection. Look at this scenario where free ships increase eve player base with 20% and increases PVP with 50% where only 20-30% are free ships.
    Lol, I had to stop reading here. PLEASE pull more numbers directly from your ass.
    Is called projection. Feel free to bring your own projection to make a constructive discussion.
    To be a "projection" it would require actual data to begin with. You have none. At best this is an "educated guess." [mod edit]

There is no constructive discussion to be had here. The only conclusion possible is that EVE isn't the game you're looking for, but I hope you find the game that is someday.

Projections are educated guesses or assumptions if you prefer. You can start with assumptions if you want, so long as you follow a consistent process to see what results you get. That's how companies with a billion dollars in revenue do things, there's no reason it isn't a valid process here.

I do agree that this thread won't really yield anything but arguments. There are some fundamental problems with implementing the OP's idea in Eve, and even if there weren't, enough of the cranky Eve player base is likely to revolt to make the idea untenable.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Yalexy
    Gosh...22 pages and you've still not learned the fact, that there's allready a system the way you want it: PLEX!Go buy some and fund your battlecruisers with the ISK you've got in return.

The OP's plan would involve free ships. PLEX requires players to inject money into the game.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by hfztt

Free ships and player driven economy dont mix.

Free ships and feeling of real loss dont mix.

It is as simple as that.

Please back your answer with a projection.

Look at this scenario where free ships increase eve player base with 20% and increases PVP with 50% where only 20-30% are free ships.

Lol, I had to stop reading here. PLEASE pull more numbers directly from your ass.

Is called projection. Feel free to bring your own projection to make a constructive discussion.

To be a "projection" it would require actual data to begin with. You have none. At best this is an "educated guess." [mod edit]

There is no constructive discussion to be had here. The only conclusion possible is that EVE isn't the game you're looking for, but I hope you find the game that is someday.

Read again: the thread is not about: would the gold battlecruisers  be good for economy but would gold battlecruisers bring more casual players to eve. If you want to discuss about economic implications please make a separate about that.

The answer to your question as asked is no. The thing is that if you try and do EVE in a half-assed kind of way where you're actually shooting at other players, you're going to get fucked. Free ships won't change that. If you want to play EVE in a non shooting at others kind of way, then frankly once you've got the trick of doing missions or mining or whatever the fuck, then ship loss is a non-issue.

The only way to get "casual" (ie: bad players who lose a battlecruiser every 2 hours) players into EVE is to prevent non casual players with interacting with them. At which point they might as well just buy X3 and save everybody's time.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by Malcanis

It is as simple as that.

Look at this scenario where free ships increase eve player base with 20% and increases PVP with 50% where only 20-30% are free ships.

Read again: the thread is not about: would the gold battlecruisers  be good for economy but would gold battlecruisers bring more casual players to eve. If you want to discuss about economic implications please make a separate about that.

The answer to your question as asked is no. The thing is that if you try and do EVE in a half-assed kind of way where you're actually shooting at other players, you're going to get fucked. Free ships won't change that. If you want to play EVE in a non shooting at others kind of way, then frankly once you've got the trick of doing missions or mining or whatever the fuck, then ship loss is a non-issue.

The only way to get "casual" (ie: bad players who lose a battlecruiser every 2 hours) players into EVE is to prevent non casual players with interacting with them. At which point they might as well just buy X3 and save everybody's time.

Loosing a ship every 2 hours is not something unseen even to the best  PVPers. But this thread is not about bad players.

Not having money or time does not make you a bad player. Not having time makes you a casual player.

Plex solution was already noted, unfortunately is simply a rip-off against casual players (or bad players if you want to call them this way). I would pay the subscription , maybe a second account and maybe another 15bucks per month for ships but nothing more.This is already a big amount of money. For this money i want to have fun, at least 1-2 (real ) fights per evening.

If you guy think otherwise it means that your perception is not very objective.

There are people in European countryes that live with this money 1 week.

Loosing a ship every 2 hours is not something unseen even to the best  PVPers. But this thread is not about bad players.Not having money or time does not make you a bad player. Not having time makes you a casual player.Plex solution was already noted, unfortunately is simply a rip-off against casual players (or bad players if you want to call them this way). I would pay the subscription , maybe a second account and maybe another 15bucks per month for ships but nothing more.This is already a big amount of money. For this money i want to have fun, at least 1-2 (real ) fights per evening.If you guy think otherwise it means that your perception is not very objective.There are people in European countryes that live with this money 1 week.

What you've suggested may be a solution for you, but not for the game. You will have to search elsewhere for something that does what you want. I do not have any suggestions for a game that might do what you want. I only know that Eve does not now offer what you want and is not likely to offer what you want at any point in the future.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Would giving new players a fifty-dollar bill bring more casuals to EVE? Sure.

Is this really the gist of your question?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Gosh...22 pages and you've still not learned the fact, that there's allready a system the way you want it: PLEX!Go buy some and fund your battlecruisers with the ISK you've got in return.

The OP's plan would involve free ships. PLEX requires players to inject money into the game.

Nothings ever free, not even death.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

It is as simple as that.

Loosing a ship every 2 hours is not something unseen even to the best  PVPers. But this thread is not about bad players.

Not having money or time does not make you a bad player. Not having time makes you a casual player.

Plex solution was already noted, unfortunately is simply a rip-off against casual players (or bad players if you want to call them this way). I would pay the subscription , maybe a second account and maybe another 15bucks per month for ships but nothing more.This is already a big amount of money. For this money i want to have fun, at least 1-2 (real ) fights per evening.

If your goal is to fight other players in a specific ship man to man why don't you start up some sort of ingame fight club.

With the dualing system in place I'm sure you'd find quite a few people willing to take part, but that would mean that you are initiating player interaction and from reading your thoughts on MMORPGs that's not what MMORPGs are about.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Would giving new players a fifty-dollar bill bring more casuals to EVE? Sure.

Is this really the gist of your question?

yet again posting offtoppic. new players actually give ccp fifty-dollars bill, if they get to play long enough

Gosh...

22 pages and you've still not learned the fact, that there's allready a system the way you want it: PLEX!

Go buy some and fund your battlecruisers with the ISK you've got in return.

Nothings ever free, not even death.

greed is not the best way to make money. see world of tanks, startrek online, planetside2. Of course you can chip in but you don;t really have to.

Originally posted by Hazelle

It is as simple as that.

If your goal is to fight other players in a specific ship man to man why don't you start up some sort of ingame fight club.

With the dualing system in place I'm sure you'd find quite a few people willing to take part, but that would mean that you are initiating player interaction and from reading your thoughts on MMORPGs that's not what MMORPGs are about.

My goal is to fight players in a huge universe and not to spin ships in station,  not to do missions or complexes semi-afk, not to duel players.

What you've suggested may be a solution for you, but not for the game. You will have to search elsewhere for something that does what you want. I do not have any suggestions for a game that might do what you want. I only know that Eve does not now offer what you want and is not likely to offer what you want at any point in the future.

I am sorry the toppic is not about what i want, but about if gold battleships would bring new players. For all you know i may not play with them.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

I am sorry the toppic is not about what i want, but about if gold battleships would bring new players. For all you know i may not play with them.

Because the damage done would outweigh the benefit of those players. And yes, it really would which is why you should look at how economies actually function. I hoped that was why you bowed out of the discussion a page ago, but rather clearly not.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Originally posted by jimdandy26

Because the damage done would outweigh the benefit of those players. And yes, it really would which is why you should look at how economies actually function. I hoped that was why you bowed out of the discussion a page ago, but rather clearly not.

You keep derailing the thread. This thread is not about economy but about casual players that may come to the game if such gold ships would exist.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

You keep derailing the thread. This thread is not about economy but about casual players that may come to the game if such gold ships would exist.

Discussing economic impact of these potential players is related to your OP and related to your follow-up questions "and in the end what's going to be the economy impact ?" (post 96). It's fine to not agree, but his response was more on topic then arguing whether a 10 Brutix fleet could or couldn't beat a 10 BS fleet (i.e. post 69 and various others in that range). Ultimately, you can tilt your head, squint your eyes, and see how both are tangents of the original question and are inline with your own presumably off-topic replies throughout the thread.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

I voted "yes".

however, I don't believe EvE wants or even cares about casual players. every time I try to play EvE it always comes down to the same thing: 1 week of farming for every ship lost in a 30 second pvp encounter.

Since I'm a new player I cannot make lots of gold fast, and replacing ships is very expensive. Also since I'm a new player I pretty much always get my ass kicked in pvp. The only option for new player is really to join a corp and support vets in pvp. Then, after a year or so, you might have enough skill points to actually be able to financially support  your own pvp expenditures. By then you should have realized that the only "pvp" that you can do solo is ganking nubes or go after non combat targets as the majority of other pvpers tend to roam in groups.

at this point you either become a "nube harassing, miner killing, douche bag" or join a pvp corp and get ready to jump when they say so.

Eve is not nube or solo friendly, but it's even less solo nube friendly.

• Jester92Jester92 Member Posts: 156
    This would end up killing the game, no one wants casual players in eve.  Also anyone new who is looking to make easy isk ingame I suggest you join the eve chat channel, "tmp's gank crew" Its dirty hands on pirate action but you can make a billion in a day working with TheMeanPerson in his high security space ganking awesomeness.  I think their crew has ganked well over 300 billion isk taking in a profit of at least half of that.  In anycase offers on the table I'm sure he would be willing to teach even a new player how to gank.

J. B.

Those players are already pl;aying WoT

Where gold tanks aren't free at all, I might add.

CCP have already put in a mechanism to give you what you want, and they've put a cost on it to keep it balanced so it doesn't get abused: you're just too cheap to pay for it. For all your BS about PLEX being an "I win", they're not so "I win" that you'll use them, are they?

CCP have already put in a mechanism to give you what you want, and they've put a cost on it to keep it balanced so it doesn't get abused: you're just too cheap to pay for it. For all your BS about PLEX being an "I win", they're not so "I win" that you'll use them, are they?

Yeah i don;t want to pay hundreds of $ per month to pvp. Sorry for  not throwing my money on the window.

I rather spend this money on my car than on pixels.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Problem with eve is if you are new, you have 0 chance of going anywhere on your own. You are pretty much nothing, and you will remain nothing for your entire career. It revolves a lot on corporations and established power. People can see that time investment needed in order to be worth anything at all, and that in the end no matter how hard you play, its up to you finding a large group and joining them to stand a chance of at least having some effect in the game.

The big problem with sandbox: An established power pretty easily stays in power. The only way it gets taken down is if another established power does so, or that established power destroys itself from the inside.

That and to be honest, the gameplay isn't exactly stunning. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the technical/money/yada yada concepts I do like, but when it comes down to it, combat is basically target and fire. Tactics only really come into play with groups where it actually can involve some 'thought' in it. Again, not completely bad (In a way I actually enjoy that idea of setting up strategies as a group to plan an attack) but its just lacking that feel of skill really mattering individually.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    So that's why the 3 biggest allainces were created in the last 3 years of a 10 year old game?

Originally posted by jimdandy26 Originally posted by apanz3r I am sorry the toppic is not about what i want, but about if gold battleships would bring new players. For all you know i may not play with them.

A change to the economy of the game would affect all players, casual or otherwise. It doesn't matter if such a change brought in casual players if the game lost just as many non-casuals or the casual players didn't stick around very long.

Yeah i don;t want to pay hundreds of $ per month to pvp. Sorry for  not throwing my money on the window.

I rather spend this money on my car than on pixels.

So you're agreeing that they're not an effective "I win" button then?

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

Clearly people have flocked to and attempted to master this game because they can earn the instore creds to pay for their subs.

They are wolves in sheeps clothing...so I would say don't encourage casual signups, instead make the game more casual so their "curve" is now gone and the advantage they thought they had which was "mastering a game so I can pay for sub w/ instore creds" is futile.

*Evil grin*

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Only 2things needed to make eve pve/new player friendly while still being hardcore pvp:

1) prevent gate camping - its a cowards game anyway, and the mechanics for avoiding it are dreary.

2). Don't allow multiboxing (multi account yes ofc)so when new players are hunting/playing they are not at a massive disadvantage.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D