Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So F2P or P2W the new business model for EQNext

2»

Comments

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162

Well I think where still a year or two from this game even coming out, I hope this payment model changes by then. 

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by issling

Well I think where still a year or two from this game even coming out, I hope this payment model changes by then. 

They already hinted it should be ready this year. With the lack of information about the game though I would agree a year or two is the most logical.

On the F2P subject, I don't see how it can work for the game at all. Its going to be a sandbox game, anything at all including boosters will be a pay to win mechanic no matter how you look at it. Anything that gives you an advantage over another is P2W. I don't see how they can swing a f2p and only have dress up items in there and make money. I will most likely not be playing this game because I despise F2P games and its sad they chose to go this way but oh well. 

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

With SOE fully embracing the F2P model. Does this mean that Sony Premium Subscribers get nada for the new game? Its all available for everyone. Or is that really incorrect. I cant seem to wrap my head around all the different things they could or might charge for in a full fledge Sandbox style game.... This could turn into one of the most expensive games to play of all time. Im hoping Im wrong. It will be curious to see how they set up their business model with this. I know a person who claims to have spent over 250.00 in Planet Side 2 within a month setting up his fighter. That is kind of scary. I figure planet side 2 will not be nearly as large or offer nearly as much to purchase as EQN will.

Thoughts and opinions?

If they go with a hybrid business model then they can go wrong. If you do what BioWare did with starwars works best because people that are part timers or casuals will come and go and those that are really into the game will stay for a long time. Allow those that stay for a long time to just pay a monthly rate and option to buy extras if they want but they dont have to because they are given amount of what ever per month. TBH they could go further and some are willing to pay 15$ month and up to 25$ per month,  what people that have money never want to see is the a system that is unethical like NW that PWE has, I am %100 sure they will have a class action law suit against them with in the year.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    They already said it is going to be f2p so people who are hoping otherwise are going to be disappointed.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    They already said it is going to be f2p so people who are hoping otherwise are going to be disappointed.

very disappointing, guess this is another game i wont be trying.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

With SOE fully embracing the F2P model. Does this mean that Sony Premium Subscribers get nada for the new game? Its all available for everyone. Or is that really incorrect. I cant seem to wrap my head around all the different things they could or might charge for in a full fledge Sandbox style game.... This could turn into one of the most expensive games to play of all time. Im hoping Im wrong. It will be curious to see how they set up their business model with this. I know a person who claims to have spent over 250.00 in Planet Side 2 within a month setting up his fighter. That is kind of scary. I figure planet side 2 will not be nearly as large or offer nearly as much to purchase as EQN will.

Thoughts and opinions?

F2P is a marketing term and P2W is the business model.   If the game is designed around the cash shop it is P2W, and I will guarantee that SOE will be using their fail version of the cash shop. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

It seems that only a few FTP mmo's do it right and 90% shows nothing but pure greed.
    Its a extremely thin line between good and bad.

The best would be like GW2....buy the box and have a cosmetic shop.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Mothanos

It seems that only a few FTP mmo's do it right and 90% shows nothing but pure greed.
    Its a extremely thin line between good and bad.

The best would be like GW2....buy the box and have a cosmetic shop.

GW2 isn't f2p.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

ye its Buy to Play, minor detail :P
    Still its one of the best mediums i think.

Free to play can be quite good, as long as it aint a greedy pay to win or extremely expensive shop iam happy.
    But this is where most studio's make big mistakes and sell stuff that cost you even more then a normal sub.