Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

<3 // Open Beta's are a Bad Idea

2»

Comments

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

<p>lol. good graphics?!?! are you joking?</p><p> </p><p>i played it on ultra setting and the graphic and animations are really bad for a 2013 game. and they are using the same textures everywhere. in the tutorial, they even copied the same soldier and put it in without any animations. this game is soooo bad.</p><p> </p><p>it reads good but it is bad</p>

• mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200

The graphics is good. Not better than any other game what u wrote for example here but not worst....

I like that kids whos always crying.

Dude if dont like this game, dont play thats it, whos care what u like and what u play. Go play AOC or Aion if u like that sh*ts, many people like this sh*t but dont go to trolling in Aion forums....

And if you see a very nice game which version is running only in asia, you cry that why eu and na get that 1 year later.... But no bug, just unenjoyable gameplay, endgame, etc.

Now u got a game, what is started almost in the same time everywhere and now u crying again... I think its good. I love this company that started the game in the same time almost in all region! I love it! Many bugs? Yes, whos care? They will fix it for sure.

So pls... stop crying kids. No forum where u can get the cheats, glitches, how to make ur champ imba under 2 days....  Thats the thing why u crying... That have to work for ur goods.... Nabs....

Just one thing dear Dragon's Prophet. Make this game to compatible with win xp.....

Sorry about my english but I think u can understand, if not I dont care hehe.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Actually in many areas of retail,your product MUST be scrutinized before you are even allowed to think about selling it.Many many reasons from offensive,to racist,to unhealthy ,maturity , and just plain adhering to laws.

Almost ALL games have been using pre-orders,so in essence they are trying to sell a product BEFORE it is ready.is that good standards to be adhering to,i think not.

Also NDA was first allowed by law to protect trade secrets except game devs have actually been using it to HIDE public criticism.

Public criticism is not only great for the consumer ,it is also great for the game,that is IF of course the developer cares about public acceptance and feedback of their product.

If they DON'T care,well then obviously they want to use as much misleading information and keep as much a hidden secret until AFTER they get your money.

Problem is laws are created to protect the retailer NOT the consumer.The simple reason,they are claiming copyright protection we are simply looking to be treated fair and that is a really vague word to work within the law.

So in reality retail practices are very misleading and are trying to hide ANY and ALL negativity about their product,so they are not trying to treat you fairly as a customer.Instead they act like used car salesman trying to make their product seem 100% perfect and don't care how they get your money to do it.

The Open Beta idea is ONLY as good as the developer behind it.If their only purpose is to hype up and market their product,then it fails the purpose of a Beta TEST.Then you see these lame developers setup interviews and work shops and FAQ sessions where everything is directed as a positive influence on their game.We see everything from loaded questions to posting ONLY the very best forum topics or fanbois statements.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The graphics aren't bad, but they aren't great either. There are large stretches of land in each zone that are covered with the same monotone rock / grass / dirt textures, so that gets boring fast.

As for the game itself, it doesn't quite escape just being another generic MMO imo.

The combat system is fun (but still choppy and unresponsive imo, unlike some other action games) and dragon taming is fun, but none of that really helps when you're still trapped in a corridor game where everything else is pretty generic material.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by mussolini

The graphics is good. Not better than any other game what u wrote for example here but not worst....

I like that kids whos always crying.

Dude if dont like this game, dont play thats it, whos care what u like and what u play. Go play AOC or Aion if u like that sh*ts, many people like this sh*t but dont go to trolling in Aion forums....

And if you see a very nice game which version is running only in asia, you cry that why eu and na get that 1 year later.... But no bug, just unenjoyable gameplay, endgame, etc.

Now u got a game, what is started almost in the same time everywhere and now u crying again... I think its good. I love this company that started the game in the same time almost in all region! I love it! Many bugs? Yes, whos care? They will fix it for sure.

So pls... stop crying kids. No forum where u can get the cheats, glitches, how to make ur champ imba under 2 days....  Thats the thing why u crying... That have to work for ur goods.... Nabs....

Just one thing dear Dragon's Prophet. Make this game to compatible with win xp.....

Sorry about my english but I think u can understand, if not I dont care hehe.

After reading every post in this thread.. the only one I sense anyone crying here is in this one...  maybe its just me but it seems that everyone who disliked this game gave a valid reason for it.  Maybe its just the translation but it sounds like typical fanboy-ism at its finest.  

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

@Mtibbs1989

DP has the best graphics in the mmo genre? Nah, e.g. Tera has much better graphics.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Problem is the game itself looks more like an Alpha then any beta. Add in they have a CASH SHOP which, if I'm not mistake, active right now, its basically to them a 'finished product' when you are charging the consumer. The game is dreadfully far from being considered launch ready and something you expect out of "Alpha" not a beta, which is basically being launched as if a 'release' and don't kid yourself pretend its not. 

You can like the game all you want, in the end THEY are basically pushing it as an open beta, really release game they are charging for, and as such I find it rather distasteful. 

Graphic arguments... I really don't see much merit to. Animations, sure, which I feel is a big issue as it can be quite lack luster. Graphics in the game are 'alright' nothing note worthy though nothing horrible. People seem to have some crazy illusion graphics need to  be some exact style and to an exact degree that baffles me of their expectations. To me... it came off... okay... just okay... the style it has just isn't really spectacular and its just a kind of 'meh' area for me.

As I said before, for me the issue is its incomplete game they are trying to charge for.

• PluppetsPluppets Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf
    Originally posted by ee1213

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I don't see how you can say Age of Conan's graphics are good. I think Age of Conan's graphics are getting really bad and is a turn off for me to want to even play the game.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Alakor

I suppose I need to create a screenshot to show you all the games graphics, give me a minute...

Update: [images]

Are theser eally good graphic for you? cause to me they are rpettyt errible graphics comparing them to TESO, EVE or to even old games like Age of Conan

I really like the game's graphics, so, yes, they're good graphics for me.

CG artist here, let me tell you something. Those are NOT good graphics. Ultra low poly meshes, sparse environment design, muddy  tiled textures used everywhere... the only thing they did between now and say 2005 is slap a normal map on it. Environment art over all is pretty bad, and the level design is piss poor (extremely linear with no concept of escalating challenge placement).

Dont forget this is a cheap (f2p) taiwanese game. They make more money by doing less work and reaching a wider audience. This means very little time spent on the art side, while keep it low spec so their user base can run it even on old computers.

Sometimes I think you f2p players get so used to low quality mass produced asian mmos that you dont realize what current gen p2p quality is.

Erm...*tugs at your coat tails*

In 2005, SSAO, shader passes, depth of field, TAA, HDR with MSAA, and non-stencil dynamic shadows didn't exist.  Heck, post-processing shaders weren't even viable.  IMO, this game uses those technologies to its advantage, and blends the environment into a very cohesive and stylized yum.

But hey, while we're at it-- Guild Wars 2 looks like dirty penises to me.  Can we at least agree on that?

Actually, those did exist prior to 2005. We saw HDR for example in Riven (1997) and in 2003, Valve had a demo showing it off in the Source engine. 2004 it was actually in a playable environment (the lost coast).  We also saw it in the Unreal 3 engine and even the Open Source based Ogre 3d engine.  While many of those existed, its also a question as to how and where they were used... we could get into discussing each one...but all that is moot since those didnt make "good graphics".  All they did add some "post" like effects to distract the user away from poorly made low poly meshes and texture work.

Even today, its common to use 512x512 maps over 1024x1024 for most things since it takes the least performance hit.

Good graphics would imply much more than slapping a blur or DoF to a scene, or whether you can remove jagged edges with AA. It involves doing more than generating overlapping UVs with the same tiled texture on it, it involves more vertex painting, good use of spec maps and presentation. Even smoothing normals to soften the edges of low poly meshes is missing from the environment art.

It's simply not good graphics and the art direction is questionable.

As for guild wars 2? You really think that looks bad? Gw2 is generic in some of its assets, but it also features much better art direction with busy environments and far better texture work. The assets are generally far more unique and even make use of higher resolution texture maps. Is it the best out there? No way, but its not even half as bad as what we are seeing in these made to be f2p games.

Honestly, most of what you were picking at with DP is subjective and preferential.  HDR is the least advanced rendering technique that I listed, yes, but the fact remains that games were only demoing HDR in 2003, so your original comment is still way off base.  Moreover, HDR was impossible with AA until later shader models and methods were released..so...yeah....The mad grab for hyperbole shows that your subjectivity is getting the best of you.

Just saying, in 2003- Half-Life 2 was the height of graphics tech.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I think Guild Wars 2 looks really, really bad. (having played for 30 levels)  As for the optimization, GW2 was HORRIBLE fail even on my GTX 670, not to mention the poor CPU optimization that reared its head in Lion's Arch and WvWvW.  DP is at least twice as decent in its art direction and opitmization.  As for polishing up the shader pipelines, I think DP does need some work, but the current setup blends to make a nice, immersive package.

Taste is preferential and subjective.  The real issue at hand is the style and art direction.  Not to say that you don't know what you're saying on a technical basis, because you do when you aren't tossing out falsity in your favor-- but that empirical technical knowledge doesn't make your preference more valid...

Originally posted by Purutzil

Problem is the game itself looks more like an Alpha then any beta. Add in they have a CASH SHOP which, if I'm not mistake, active right now, its basically to them a 'finished product' when you are charging the consumer. The game is dreadfully far from being considered launch ready and something you expect out of "Alpha" not a beta, which is basically being launched as if a 'release' and don't kid yourself pretend its not. 

You can like the game all you want, in the end THEY are basically pushing it as an open beta, really release game they are charging for, and as such I find it rather distasteful. 

Graphic arguments... I really don't see much merit to. Animations, sure, which I feel is a big issue as it can be quite lack luster. Graphics in the game are 'alright' nothing note worthy though nothing horrible. People seem to have some crazy illusion graphics need to  be some exact style and to an exact degree that baffles me of their expectations. To me... it came off... okay... just okay... the style it has just isn't really spectacular and its just a kind of 'meh' area for me.

As I said before, for me the issue is its incomplete game they are trying to charge for.

^ I agree totally-- when people are talking graphics, it comes down to preference.  There are many cups of tea out there, and I'm sure there's one that's just right for everybody.  I dig DP's graphics personally (but I also prefer more shader fanciness than realism).

I just don't get why people say "the game looks like it was made in 2003" yet have no issues with GW2, NW, and even Rift?!?!?!  (random folks around the web).  FFS, NeverWinter is disgusting to look at, IMO.  That's IN-MY-OPINION

XD

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by e1213

Furthermore, I think open beta's are a bad idea-- because the MMO community is impatient and entitled, lacking the maturity necessary to understand the implications of that word.  I believe NDA should stay in effect until release.  Soft releases of open beta's have and will continue to doom many games before they're out of the gates.

I think it's you who does not understand what the term "beta" means.  It's a testing phase to prepare a product for commercialization not a chance collect revenue for the game, and let anything people do stick while being able to dismiss any issues your game may have as "it's still beta"/

Companies don't get to eat the cake and have it to.  They can either collect revenue for a game and take responsibility for the state of the game or they can keep it in a true beta (closed or open) and reset everything you do at the end of it.

As for the game itself.  It's not the worse title to release in the last 3 years but it was released several months to early.  It needed more time to finish all the translations and flesh out explaining the games systems better.

Anyway, 'soft release' was a jab at the tactic of using open beta to hype and monetize game before release.

On the public side, open beta's tend to be a very defining time for the PR surrounding a game's release.  This should not be the case... but the dev's keep pushing founder's packs and early access, and the freebie players generally join to form opinions rather than bug reports.  Hence, I think open beta has mutated into something that the publishers mismanage, and the players misinterpret.  But whaddyagonnado.

I believe the open beta tag is to deflect any criticism about their game.

Make no mistake the game is already taking your money.  You can go play it now and spend money in the cash shop. No matter what the company says this game has officially launched.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

I suppose I need to create a screenshot to show you all the games graphics, give me a minute...

Update:

photo DragonsProphet_20130601_212047_zpsbab564d1.jpg

photo DragonsProphet_20130601_212801_zpsb4b3b2a2.jpg

....Ive played the game and viewed your pic's.  Honestly it isn't anything special, and far from a "open beta" release!  I was looking forward to this one too =(

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Rift graphics are better than this, Tera graphics are better than this. Typical MMO that when you die you'll just respawn like nothing happened, trash. Hardcore players need hardcore games, go hard or go home.

asdasdasd

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I think this more of a 'trial' for SOE to see if they could buy into a totally Indie game company and make something with it.

In a low moment (dejected about other MMOs I wasn't feeling all that sparky about) I bought the early access.

I will never say 'Gimme my money back' to a gaming company (well I did to Dark and Light but that was another story) because I go into a game knowing it was my choice to spend the money.

That said, DP is an utter mess and I wish I had avoided it. Cool potential concept but lacking in all but the very basic concepts (other than the dragons themselves). Boring quest hubs, dull run and kill X quests etc.

It takes a good bit to turn me away from a game but after 3 characters in the upper 20s+ I won't be logging in again.

Some folks will like it but I think most will keep this one at the end of a ten foot stave.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Honestly, most of what you were picking at with DP is subjective and preferential.  HDR is the least advanced rendering technique that I listed, yes, but the fact remains that games were only demoing HDR in 2003, so your original comment is still way off base.  Moreover, HDR was impossible with AA until later shader models and methods were released..so...yeah....The mad grab for hyperbole shows that your subjectivity is getting the best of you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I think Guild Wars 2 looks really, really bad. (having played for 30 levels)  As for the optimization, GW2 was HORRIBLE fail even on my GTX 670, not to mention the poor CPU optimization that reared its head in Lion's Arch and WvWvW.  DP is at least twice as decent in its art direction and opitmization.  As for polishing up the shader pipelines, I think DP does need some work, but the current setup blends to make a nice, immersive package.

Taste is preferential and subjective.  The real issue at hand is the style and art direction.  Not to say that you don't know what you're saying on a technical basis, because you do when you aren't tossing out falsity in your favor-- but that empirical technical knowledge doesn't make your preference more valid...

"Honestly, most of what you were picking at with DP is subjective and preferential. "

No, its actually not subjective and preferential. It is objective and based on experience, not as a gamer but as someone who is paid good money to make assets for both film and games. There is nothing "subjective" about poor UV mapping, simple low rez tiles all over the place, lack of vertex painted landscapes, spec maps, light sources, polygon counts, smooth and hardened vertex normals...

I think you are letting sentiment get in the  way of objective information. This game simply does NOT have good graphics, not by todays standards and barely by yesterdays standards. Furthermore, there is very little incentive for the f2p business model, especially from chinese/taiwanese/skorean based studios, to deliver on good graphics. Their goal is to spend at little time and work as possible in order to get the cash shop working. The biggest problem with f2p, is that the games design is built around it rather than enjoyment and known challenge mechanics.

So objectively, this game has bad graphics. Anyone who is going around saying it has good graphics is either blind or a fanboy, and honestly theres not much difference between the two.

"Yes, I think Guild Wars 2 looks really, really bad. (having played for 30 levels)  As for the optimization, GW2 was HORRIBLE fail even on my GTX 670, not to mention the poor CPU optimization that reared its head in Lion's Arch and WvWvW.  DP is at least twice as decent in its art direction and opitmization."

You think GW2 looks really bad, but really, compared to what? I have 2 level 80s in GW2 and an understanding of the process used to make assets, level design and all that snaz. GW2 is not bad by any means for a mmorpg. As for optimization, its not a graphics problem but a data problem. They have whats known as player culling, meaning, there can be like 200 players in one spot all fighting a boss, but only 10% of them will be displayed. This is being addressed and not  tied to the quality of graphics so I'm not sure why this is being brought up. DP would have worse problems if it tried to do half of what GW2 is doing both serverside and clientside.

There is really no logical reason to defend DP unless you have some financial or emotional ties to the success or perception of the taiwanese f2p game.

"Honestly, most of what you were picking at with DP is subjective and preferential. "

No, its actually not subjective and preferential. It is objective and based on experience, not as a gamer but as someone who is paid good money to make assets for both film and games. There is nothing "subjective" about poor UV mapping, simple low rez tiles all over the place, lack of vertex painted landscapes, spec maps, light sources, polygon counts, smooth and hardened vertex normals...

I think you are letting sentiment get in the  way of objective information. This game simply does NOT have good graphics, not by todays standards and barely by yesterdays standards. Furthermore, there is very little incentive for the f2p business model, especially from chinese/taiwanese/skorean based studios, to deliver on good graphics. Their goal is to spend at little time and work as possible in order to get the cash shop working. The biggest problem with f2p, is that the games design is built around it rather than enjoyment and known challenge mechanics.

So objectively, this game has bad graphics. Anyone who is going around saying it has good graphics is either blind or a fanboy, and honestly theres not much difference between the two.

"Yes, I think Guild Wars 2 looks really, really bad. (having played for 30 levels)  As for the optimization, GW2 was HORRIBLE fail even on my GTX 670, not to mention the poor CPU optimization that reared its head in Lion's Arch and WvWvW.  DP is at least twice as decent in its art direction and opitmization."

You think GW2 looks really bad, but really, compared to what? I have 2 level 80s in GW2 and an understanding of the process used to make assets, level design and all that snaz. GW2 is not bad by any means for a mmorpg. As for optimization, its not a graphics problem but a data problem. They have whats known as player culling, meaning, there can be like 200 players in one spot all fighting a boss, but only 10% of them will be displayed. This is being addressed and not  tied to the quality of graphics so I'm not sure why this is being brought up. DP would have worse problems if it tried to do half of what GW2 is doing both serverside and clientside.

There is really no logical reason to defend DP unless you have some financial or emotional ties to the success or perception of the taiwanese f2p game.

"You think GW2 looks really bad, but really, compared to what?"

Tera, Planetside 2, DCUO, BF3, The Secret World, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2, World of Warcraft (lol)...  I think the GW2 style is uninspired, and the color palette is truly disgusting.  I had to tweak the crap out of SweetFX to even get a decent gamma/contrast distribution.  The pre-release art was great, but it never translated into anything captivating in terms of the game world.  To me, it looks like someone dropped a bunch of meshes on some tiled-to-hell terrain and called it good.  If you consider that noteworthy, yet dislike DP for the same reason- then you might be a little biased.

As for optimization-- I really only bring it up to shed light on the unsquashable bugs even a year post-launch.  It points to structural issues with the engine.  Maybe they shouldn't have used the Guild Wars 1 engine to save a buck?  Almost a decade ago, I was playing MMO's that handled more than 100 people in main cities, and didn't use channels.  The graphics ooze the same 'lipstick on a pig' vibe.

"There is nothing "subjective" about poor UV mapping, simple low rez tiles all over the place, lack of vertex painted landscapes, spec maps, light sources, polygon counts, smooth and hardened vertex normals..."

There is most certainly something subjective about the things you listed-- as half of them aren't true!  You're bolstering your dislike for the game with fabrications, sir.  I haven't seen a single tiled texture.  The only thing I would agree with from the above is that there are UV mapping and light source issues.  Everything else is stellar, and often more immersive (if not realistic) than many other games pull off.

"There is really no logical reason to defend DP unless you have some financial or emotional ties to the success or perception of the taiwanese f2p game."

I like DP.  That's what my intent in posting was, to express that I dig it.  Seems just as appropriate to say there is really no logical reason to bash DP unless you stand to gain something from its failure, or have nothing better to do with your time..

TL;DR- One's experience won't immunize from bias, nor does it validate one's opinions any more than the next guy.    I accept and admit that we are having a discussion based on preference.  It's negligent to nurse delusion that one's opinions are fact, and free of bias.

*hug*

Philosophers since Plato and Aristotle have refuted the notion of Naive Realism, yet to this day it is the method by which most people perceive the world.

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%C3%AFve_realism  <<<